• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Pharmacological therapy =! Insulin. Not always.

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that it's the only one. People typically get prescribed with less drastic pharmacological options if they aren't too far gone in their condition upon consulting a doctor. Stuff like metformin, which works to increase insulin sensitivity.

None of them, as far as I'm aware, attack the core of the issue, which is elevated blood sugar. Probably because they can't, unless they can somehow make carbohydrates just not get digested, but I'm sure that would come with its own host of problems.

I just think that conventional treatment needs to steer away from "what are we going to do with this elevated blood sugar?" and more towards "how are we going to prevent blood sugar from rising in the first place?"

Contra11

Banned
Thanks for the link, Contra. I'd like to note, however, that I'm not arguing about DM2 patients' diet details. I do not disagree with that article nor, as I explained above, with Zefah -- regarding exercise-induced hypoglycemia and dietary management.

I'm simply pointing out - based on my experience as a doctor (and on what I see in clinical practice, for most patients with DM2) - that, while nonpharmacologic intervention is a fundamental, essential and vital part of Diabetes management, insulin resistance is generally progressive and most patients will require - at some point - pharmacological therapy (as an addition, not a replacement, to nonpharmacologic measures) in order to control glycemia and reduce (or, at least, delay) morbimortality.

The thing is LCHF is not part of nonpharmacologic intervention because in the treatment guidelines nonpharmacologic intervention is exercising & high carb low fat diet .. and from what you said it seems you meant all types of nonpharmacologic intervention

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
The thing is LCHF is not part of nonpharmacologic intervention because in the treatment guidelines nonpharmacologic intervention is exercising & high carb low fat diet .. and from what you said it seems you meant all types of nonpharmacologic interventions
But it actually has been adapted into practice. Diabetics are told to watch their carb intake as part of their intervention plan.

Hey wanted to update!

When I started this thread I was recently diagnosed with Lada type 1 and my A1C was 10.5. Well today after 4 months of hard work, my A1C came back 5.1!! Yes I am honeymooning and that makes it easier but its been a hard road with my diet and exercise and I feel great about everything right now. Such an amazing feeling compared to the depression and doom and gloom at diagnosis.

Keep at it guys!

Amandeep

How is everyone? still going on ok.. does anyone else get what I would call Diabetes depression every now and then?

Not so much these days, but in the past I would often become depressed easily over the smallest things. For example having constantly high blood sugar levels would just be so frustrating and I would endlessly lay in bed thinking about how much I hate life haha...

Also congrats (a little late I know...) on the A1c!!! Are your blood sugars still doing good?

Not so much these days, but in the past I would often become depressed easily over the smallest things. For example having constantly high blood sugar levels would just be so frustrating and I would endlessly lay in bed thinking about how much I hate life haha...

Also congrats (a little late I know...) on the A1c!!! Are your blood sugars still doing good?

My bloodsugars are still really great yeah. my newest drama is the optomitorist saying that my eyes are pretty bad, there are raptured blood vessles in my macula. yay!! :(

hopefully it was just from my highblood sugar before diagnosis and its getting better, I wont know for 3 more months

Amandeep

My bloodsugars are still really great yeah. my newest drama is the optomitorist saying that my eyes are pretty bad, there are raptured blood vessles in my macula. yay!! :(

hopefully it was just from my highblood sugar before diagnosis and its getting better, I wont know for 3 more months

I think it is safe to assume that it won't get any worse as long as you keep those sugar levels under control which you have been doing, hopefully it isn't too bad! I think there are quite a few treatments (though not cures) for diabetes related eye problems too so you should be fine :). Your next update better be a good one haha

Just got my second A1C results after another 3 months (total 9 months since diagnosis) another 5.1!!!

still just on metformin and eating low carb. Take that type 1.

The end of this month I go back in for an eye exam and I am hoping for good results, unlike last time.

It's been over a year since my diagnosis. My Honeymoon is probably about over my morning BS is creeping higher and higher. Time to see an en endo again and possibly start insulin.

How's everyone else doing? Thread has been dead since my last post.

Just got my second A1C results after another 3 months (total 9 months since diagnosis) another 5.1!!!

still just on metformin and eating low carb. Take that type 1.

The end of this month I go back in for an eye exam and I am hoping for good results, unlike last time.

It's been over a year since my diagnosis. My Honeymoon is probably about over my morning BS is creeping higher and higher. Time to see an en endo again and possibly start insulin.

How's everyone else doing? Thread has been dead since my last post.

Wait, are you Type 1 or Type 2? If you're Type 1 I'm *super* surprised that they've just put you on Metformin + Low carb. Type 1 CANNOT be treated without insulin. A metformin + low carb routine during the honeymoon phase might help, but Type 1's have to be on insulin. I've never really heard of cases where they didn't put you on insulin until after your honeymoon...sounds dangerous.

Wait, are you Type 1 or Type 2? If you're Type 1 I'm *super* surprised that they've just put you on Metformin + Low carb. Type 1 CANNOT be treated without insulin. A metformin + low carb routine during the honeymoon phase might help, but Type 1's have to be on insulin. I've never really heard of cases where they didn't put you on insulin until after your honeymoon...sounds dangerous.

I am type 1. watching my blood sugars closely. Insulin will be the next step for sure.

I am type 1. watching my blood sugars closely. Insulin will be the next step for sure.

Guess I'm just surprised it wasn't the first step. Let me know if you need any help or advice with your insulin regimen. I honestly felt so much better once I started insulin. It's a big lifestyle change to get used to, but once it becomes a habit it isn't all that bad.

Guess I'm just surprised it wasn't the first step. Let me know if you need any help or advice with your insulin regimen. I honestly felt so much better once I started insulin. It's a big lifestyle change to get used to, but once it becomes a habit it isn't all that bad.

I really appreciate it, I was surprised too. It was so sudden at the age of 32 that I got diagnosed. The doctor talked about insulin. We ran the GAD anti body tests and stuff and it was all type 1.

I started my oral pills (metformin) and eating low carb and within a week my sugars were normal with great a1c's 3 months in.. 6 months in..9 months in.. etc we just haven't gone to insulin yet.

I am not going to lie, if I cheat. it rockets up to 200 but I don't do that often.

the big problem im having now is my morning highs around 150-160

I really appreciate it, I was surprised too. It was so sudden at the age of 32 that I got diagnosed. The doctor talked about insulin. We ran the GAD anti body tests and stuff and it was all type 1.

I started my oral pills (metformin) and eating low carb and within a week my sugars were normal with great a1c's 3 months in.. 6 months in..9 months in.. etc we just haven't gone to insulin yet.

I am not going to lie, if I cheat. it rockets up to 200 but I don't do that often.

the big problem im having now is my morning highs around 150-160

I was also diagnosed a bit older (23). I'm glad they're trying to phase out the term "juvenile diabetes" because you can get Type 1 at ANY age.

Once you're on insulin you'll have a lot more tools to handle those highs. In fact, you won't really have to worry about "cheating" anymore -- want a slice of that pie? Just give yourself the correct bolus dosage and you're good to go. Naturally you still want to have a healthy diet (and preferably keeping it fairly low carb) but you have so much more freedom in terms of what you can eat.

rainy_day

My wife was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when she was 15. She almost died at 18 due to being in denial and not taking her insulin and checking like she should have been. She is doing much better now at 28. She uses an aviva combo insulin pump which helps alot and makes her feel like its more manageable.

amanset

Type 1 GAFer checking in. Diagnosed July 15th 1993. I was 19.

To be honest, I remember not being diabetic but I don't remember the somewhat non-tangible concept of utter freedom, to eat what I want and not worry about shit. It has all just been routine for twenty years now.

My wife was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when she was 15. She almost died at 18 due to being in denial and not taking her insulin and checking like she should have been. She is doing much better now at 28. She uses an aviva combo insulin pump which helps alot and makes her feel like its more manageable.

That's a rough age to get diagnosed at. From what I've seen younger kids adapt a bit easier (although it's obviously still tough for them). At 15 it just seems a bit more earth shattering. Glad to hear she's doing better.

Type 1 GAFer checking in. Diagnosed July 15th 1993. I was 19.

To be honest, I remember not being diabetic but I don't remember the somewhat non-tangible concept of utter freedom, to eat what I want and not worry about shit. It has all just been routine for twenty years now.

Yeah...I was diagnosed 5 years ago, so I do still remember that freedom. Dealing with insulin and blood sugar isn't too bad once it becomes routine and habit, but it can be tiring sometimes. Sometimes you just want to have a snack without having to worry about carbs and boluses and pricking your finger, you know?

amanset

Yeah...I was diagnosed 5 years ago, so I do still remember that freedom. Dealing with insulin and blood sugar isn't too bad once it becomes routine and habit, but it can be tiring sometimes. Sometimes you just want to have a snack without having to worry about carbs and boluses and pricking your finger, you know?

Totally. Especially in the office, we've got a couple of good bakers here and we quite frequently have random cakes appearing.

Which is a question for you guys. How open about this are you? I've always been massively open, I've considered it a good idea that people know just in case something goes down, so I chat openly, I do tests in front of anyone, I inject in front of anyone. One guy, once, in a pub asked me if I could go do my injection "somewhere else" and I straight up told him no, he didn't have to look. But for the most part everyone is really cool about it.

But I started thinking about this a while back when a workmate approached me and asked "how I do it?" I was a bit confused, but it turns out he was diabetic and very secretive about it, he was shy about telling anyone. And then I had a think and realised that for all the diabetics there are in the world, I have hardly ever seen someone do a blood test or inject themselves, whereas I'll happily do that shit on the train.

Am my a normal diabetic? Is this unusual?

I know that feel.

Totally. Especially in the office, we've got a couple of good bakers here and we quite frequently have random cakes appearing.

Which is a question for you guys. How open about this are you? I've always been massively open, I've considered it a good idea that people know just in case something goes down, so I chat openly, I do tests in front of anyone, I inject in front of anyone. One guy, once, in a pub asked me if I could go do my injection "somewhere else" and I straight up told him no, he didn't have to look. But for the most part everyone is really cool about it.

But I started thinking about this a while back when a workmate approached me and asked "how I do it?" I was a bit confused, but it turns out he was diabetic and very secretive about it, he was shy about telling anyone. And then I had a think and realised that for all the diabetics there are in the world, I have hardly ever seen someone do a blood test or inject themselves, whereas I'll happily do that shit on the train.

I'm a bit shy about it, but I've been trying to be better about that. At my last job I didn't really tell anyone at first, and it became really awkward. I would try to hide doing my injections, which was difficult or weird. And the longer you go without bringing it up, the more awkward it kind of becomes. I think my skewed logic was "I don't want them to pity me or think I'm looking for attention". It's a dumb thing to think.

So when I moved to a new office I made a habit of mentioning it casually during my first meal with a co-worker. "Oh, FYI, I'm diabetic, which is why you'll see me using needles during meals." Made everything so much better to be open about it. I still feel weird about testing for some reason, though...trying to get over my insecurities in those regards. It's who I am, and 99% of people are supportive and understanding.

My advice is be open about it, and don't make it a big deal.

And depending on the situation, it may be a good idea to educate your co-workers or friends just a bit on diabetes...there's so much misconception around. In particular, people need to know that if someone is having hypoglycemia THEY SHOULD NOT BE GIVEN INSULIN. The number of people I've talked to with that misconception is really scary. In fact, people should know that you should NEVER EVER EVER give a diabetic insulin. If they actually are in DKA or whatever then the hospital will handle that. You could kill a diabetic by giving them insulin.

I am like you, completely open. I test in public and talk about it all the time. If I had insulin I would probably go to the bathroom but everything else is out there. I wan't everyone to know in case something does go down. Plus people are sensitive to me about it and try and order stuff I can eat for work parties.

amanset

And depending on the situation, it may be a good idea to educate your co-workers or friends just a bit on diabetes...there's so much misconception around. In particular, people need to know that if someone is having hypoglycemia THEY SHOULD NOT BE GIVEN INSULIN. The number of people I've talked to with that misconception is really scary. In fact, people should know that you should NEVER EVER EVER give a diabetic insulin. If they actually are in DKA or whatever then the hospital will handle that. You could kill a diabetic by giving them insulin.

So true. I've had people ask me "so, if you collapse I give you insulin, right?" You can see the mentality, they know i have an illness and they know what the medication is. So I explain to them what it is that insulin does and why that would be a bad idea. And ultimately it is all good all round.

Glad to see this thread pop up. I am three months into Type 1. It's certainly been tough, but my 3 month A1C just came back at 6.5% (was 13% when diagnosed), so I know I am doing okay so far.

I am not very open about it. I've told my family and close friends, but I try to keep it to myself. I've started to open up to some more people as I become more comfortable, but I'm not quite at the level of fully testing in public yet.

Glad to see this thread pop up. I am three months into Type 1. It's certainly been tough, but my 3 month A1C just came back at 6.5% (was 13% when diagnosed), so I know I am doing okay so far.

I am not very open about it. I've told my family and close friends, but I try to keep it to myself. I've started to open up to some more people as I become more comfortable, but I'm not quite at the level of fully testing in public yet.

Nice job man!

Wag

Hey guys. I'm 2yrs into being diagnosed with Type 2 and I just wanted to post an update.

I lost ~80lbs (down to 195, I'm 6'2" and 47), and now exercise every day. I changed my diet, but still eat junk food every so often. I'm glad to report that my latest A1C was 5.5.

I feel so much better since I lost the weight and exercise it's like night and day. If I can do it (I have tons of injuries and a few surgeries) you can do it too!

Quasar

Just noticed the thread.

Was diagnosed type 2 in January, along with seemingly related issues (blood pressure and cholesterol).

Diet changes and some exercise has has led to me losing a good chunk of weight so that I'm now in the normal weight range. Blood sugar levels seem pretty stable, with it staying under 6 mmol pretty much all the time and my one a1c so far being 5.1. Cholesterol is getting better too. Am having to take medication for blood pressure though which bums me out.

My big frustration continues to be eating out.

Alebrije

Saddly most of people does not care about diabetes until they find they have it.

But hope this thread helps some people to take conscience about it.

I do not have it but my father did and since I went 40 years old started to reduce sugar and eat basically as if I had diabetes.

The problem is not diabetes alone but now it helps to other diseases grow inside your body , specially UTI (Urinary Track Infection)

UTI is more common on type 2 diabetes becuase high glucose affects the bladder and encreases bacteria reproduction( E Coli most of time).

It is controlled by antibiotics but them also hurt your kidney so it becomes a vicious circle.

Basic recommendations is drink water but also try to eat alkaline food to reduce the bacteria grows rate.

A diabetes diet is basically similar to the ones that suffer from UTI but try to increase alkaline food , it helps.

Does anyone here struggle with paying for the cost of test strips?

Do you not have insurance? Most (if not all) will cover it.

If not you can find them on eBay pretty cheap.

I've had nightmares getting and paying for strips, even with insurance. There's a lot of shitty insurance plans that will limit the type of strip to one brand and still require a co-pay. Same with needles: my insurance charges a $34 co pay for a month of insulin pen needles. Discovered I could get them cheaper on Amazon without a prescription.

Wag

No I have insurance and don't have a problem personally but am curious of others stories or struggles with the insane costs of strips.

I hear you. Medical costs are insane. If I had to pay straight out for my medications I couldn't afford them.

I still take a statin for my cholesterol and Toprol XL for my blood pressure even though I exercise. I think a lot of the medications I take raise my BP.

Quasar

An update.

Had another a1c last month. Was 5.0 which was basically in line with my daily testing.

My efforts to get my high cholestrol down have met with some success (ldl down to 2.7 from 4.0 and my hdl up into the good range). Not low enough for my diabetes specialist though. Going to see if it continues to fall and decide in January whether I need some medication. She doesn't think it will fall much more from diet though. Bums me out.

I've now had a second Accu-check Aviva meter fail. The Bluetooth part completely fails. They still meter fine, just are unable to sync over Bluetooth. Dunno what's happening.

My weight seems to have stabilised at around 73kg, down from my pre-diagnosis weight of 101kg in January. Still have belly fat that refuses to shift though.

Am looking apprehensively at Christmas and what I eat. Normally that would involve lots of fruit cake, pudding, icecream, and other sweet and carb heavy foods. Big portions too. Lots of soft drink too as I've never really been a alcohol drinker. Have no idea what I'll do.

Symphonia

Banned
I've really neglected my diabetes as of late, going on a somewhat self-destructive streak. I don't check my glucose levels - ever - and I just shoot blind when it comes to my insulin. That's when I can be bothered to do it. I've often found myself doing one shot of fast-acting in the day and my regular longer-lasting insulin at night. I've just lost the will, I guess.

Update on me: Its been a real struggle the last ~3 months.. Diet and working out with oral meds (Metformin) isn't really working anymore. No matter what I do I wake up 180-220. Then have to work my diet all day to get back to 120. I can be fine all day and wake up again the same. Frustrating!! on top of that its the holidays and you just kind of give up.

anyways I am seeing a proper Endo tomorrow for the first time and laying it all on the table and see what treatment she wants me to go with.

Update on me: Its been a real struggle the last ~3 months.. Diet and working out with oral meds (Metformin) isn't really working anymore. No matter what I do I wake up 180-220. Then have to work my diet all day to get back to 120. I can be fine all day and wake up again the same. Frustrating!! on top of that its the holidays and you just kind of give up.

anyways I am seeing a proper Endo tomorrow for the first time and laying it all on the table and see what treatment she wants me to go with.

Please check out the video in the link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpllomiDMX0

I hope everything will be alright for you JetBlackPanda.

I'm 30 and i have a type 2 diabetes (Discovered it the day Bloodborne came out), spent a few days in hospital (I was around 6,00 when i arrived) and since then... i'm alright.

I'm always low (Around 0,90-1.00) when i wake up, even if i didn't took my Metformin and my Lentus for at least 6-8 months because i was tired of the secondary effects of the Metformin.

Now i'm serious with my health, took a blood test 2 days ago and my a1c is at 5,2% (which is really low)

I have to see my doctor tomorrow and i hope i'll be able to stop the Metformin and just stay with the Lentus.

Thanks for the link but what are you getting at? I currently eat very low carb (almost keto) and I am not overweight?

I have type 1 diabetes.

As type 1 you absolutely need to be on insulin, not metformin. You're not going to get your sugars in control otherwise. I'm still really surprised your doctor has you on metformin. Metformin improves insulin sensitivity, but with type 1 your pancreas eventually stops producing insulin ALL TOGETHER, so sensitivity won't help.

If the endo you're seeing tomorrow confirms that you are type 1 and doesn't put you on insulin I would immediately seek a second opinion.

badb0y

Diet and exercise to keep that shit in check. Rampant diabetes is a debilitating and systematic disease that can lead to nerve damage, kidney damage, blindness, amputations, heart disease, hypertension etc. The good thing is if you put some effort towards it you can control it relatively easily with medicine, diet, and exercise.

diagnosed in March of 2015 I have had amazing A1C's and control the entire time leading up to about 3 months ago.

Following up with my post form above, this is likely due to the type 1 diabetes honeymoon period. There's usually a period of time (around a year) where a type 1's pancreas will still be producing insulin. You can sort of get away with metformin / excercise / diet during that period (but honestly a T1D should still be on insulin during the honeymoon period). Once it's over you're pancreas no longer produces insulin and you HAVE to start taking insulin injections.

As type 1 you absolutely need to be on insulin, not metformin. You're not going to get your sugars in control otherwise. I'm still really surprised your doctor has you on metformin. Metformin improves insulin sensitivity, but with type 1 your pancreas eventually stops producing insulin ALL TOGETHER, so sensitivity won't help.

If the endo you're seeing tomorrow confirms that you are type 1 and doesn't put you on insulin I would immediately seek a second opinion.

Following up with my post form above, this is likely due to the type 1 diabetes honeymoon period. There's usually a period of time (around a year) where a type 1's pancreas will still be producing insulin. You can sort of get away with metformin / excercise / diet during that period (but honestly a T1D should still be on insulin during the honeymoon period). Once it's over you're pancreas no longer produces insulin and you HAVE to start taking insulin injections.

Thank you for the posts! I agree with all of it. I am under no misconceptions that I wont need insulin and its always been the "end game" of my diagnosis. For whatever reason my original doctor just let me go with D&E and metformin.

Thank you for the posts! I agree with all of it. I am under no misconceptions that I wont need insulin and its always been the "end game" of my diagnosis. For whatever reason my original doctor just let me go with D&E and metformin.

Gotcha -- glad you're going to see an endo tomorrow. Getting used to doing injections takes some work, but I can guarantee you'll feel better once you're in the swing of it.

Gotcha -- glad you're going to see an endo tomorrow. Getting used to doing injections takes some work, but I can guarantee you'll feel better once you're in the swing of it.

Thanks! I am a little nervous about the dosing and stuff not so much the needles. I already poke myself a million times a day.

Do you have a CGM? should I ask for one? I have a friend that uses one and its seems awesome.

Thanks! I am a little nervous about the dosing and stuff not so much the needles. I already poke myself a million times a day.

Do you have a CGM? should I ask for one? I have a friend that uses one and its seems awesome.

I don't have a CGM currently, mainly because of cost / insurance reasons, but I definitely want one eventually.

Dosing takes some work at first, but carb counting definitely works for me. Eventually you get a really good feel for how your body reacts, especially when combined with frequent testing and/or a CGM.

About how long do people go before moving from pens to the pump? I haven't had a conversation with my endo about it yet, but just wanted to see how long others went.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom