• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 apparently releasing on April 17th? So says Daeity!

so, who else is getting sick on April 17th? :p

Why? So you can sit at home for a week and try to log into Battle.net and be unable to add anyone to your Friends list, and then when you try to make a game it lags out instead? No thanks, it will probably be at least a month before you can even play it judging from how the beta version of Battle.net performs. I'm going to go to work on the D3 launch date like it's any other day, and casually drive home from work and get my Amazon pre-order copy from the mailbox when I get home.

Stasis

Runic really shot themselves in the foot by waiting this long. A release anywhere near Diablo III is just complete failure, and I really can't fathom how they let that happen. I would buy Torchlight II in a heartbeat if it released now, and I'm sure many others would as well. If anything the D3 hype and impatience would have generated more sales for them.

/boggle

A) It's an online only game, it affects it far less than most games.
B) It isn't broken or even buggy, it's a complete and functional game and has been. This is Blizzard we're talking about.
C) They can do a lot in a month, they just have to press the discs sooner, but since it's online only, that is totally irrelevant to what the game plays like on day 1.

Obviously not in the beta. They just revamped a whole lot of shit and completely fucked up the rune system.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Runic really shot themselves in the foot by waiting this long. A release anywhere near Diablo III is just complete failure, and I really can't fathom how they let that happen. I would buy Torchlight II in a heartbeat if it released now, and I'm sure many others would as well. If anything the D3 hype and impatience would have generated more sales for them.

/boggle

Yeah, I agree. Torchlight 2 lost it's window if D3 is really shipping in a little over a month. And it's a shame, because had Runic released before Christmas they would have sold a metric fuck ton of the game, but now I just don't see it doing anywhere near as well. They waited too long. Shame really. :(

Of course who knows, we might all be let down by D3 final and Torchlight 2 might swoop in and steal the crown as the real successor to the great Diablo II. It's not impossible, just improbable.

horsebird

Banned
Obviously not in the beta. They just revamped a whole lot of shit and completely fucked up the rune system.
I haven't played the beta in a while. They've added runes?

I have this pre-ordered, but I may instead opt to wait for stores to clear out their overstock of the CE before jumping in.

Wolfie5

posted in OP:

someone else asked jay wilson if he can "debunk or confirm the rumor of april 17th?" and he replied "i cannot debunk or confirm."

gamestop UK and amazon italy both have it listed for april 17th!

I remember previous release date rumors that got debunked, but not this one? Could this be it? I think we will get the official release date announcement next week, which starts tomorrow :)

Valnen

Why? So you can sit at home for a week and try to log into Battle.net and be unable to add anyone to your Friends list, and then when you try to make a game it lags out instead? No thanks, it will probably be at least a month before you can even play it judging from how the beta version of Battle.net performs. I'm going to go to work on the D3 launch date like it's any other day, and casually drive home from work and get my Amazon pre-order copy from the mailbox when I get home.

Servers work fine enough for me. /shrug

SteveWD40

/boggle

Indeed, they keep scraping and remaking elements, which is fine for Blizzard to do as they have the money. It was supposed to be out in June 2011.

As it is, I am sure most loot crawl fans will drop the $20 on it but they will miss the many people who will be too busy min-maxing their Monk or playing Arena's.

Valnen

Indeed, they keep scraping and remaking elements, which is fine for Blizzard to do as they have the money. It was supposed to be out in June 2011.

As it is, I am sure most loot crawl fans will drop the $20 on it but they will miss the many people who will be too busy min-maxing their Monk or playing Arena's.

My $20 will be going to a Guild Wars 2 preorder. Torchlight had it's chance 6 months ago.

Again, no they didn't. You don't like it, but it is perfectly functional. That does not equal fucked up.

Runed skills are better than unruned skills.

You can not get all runes until max level.

There are no more rune levels.

Everyone gets the same runes at the same levels.

Customizability in skills before endgame is pretty much out the window.

V_Arnold

Thing is, man, this does not work that way.
I have been there at day 0 (literally: shortly after the midnight launches) in every recent Blizzard product since Burning Crusade, and they NEVER had big issues. Crowded areas, yes. Occasional lag, maybe. One server restart at 5:00am? Yep, such a big deal, right?

The beta is obviously not a representative of these things:
a) The final client's quality and stability
b) The finalized Battle.Net server-army's capability to serve 1-2-3 millions of startup users
c) The code that will handle all this in the final version.

So no, you can count on one thing: when Diablo 3 launches, it will be playable from day one, just like every other Blizzard product in the last, what? Decade, almost.

Actually, this is not true, but I would not want to start up the Beta thread's fight. My view on this is very simple: you get to choose from a growing pool of skills and runes, so what exactly CANT you customize about that? Just because the WHOLE pool will be only available at 60, that does not mean that at lv50, you wont be allowed to customize from 90% of all the skills/runes. Or from 60-70% by the time you are at the end of normal. That is already more customization option regarding skills than other ARPG's out there :D

Elginer

Just got back from GameStop and paid off my preorder for this and Guild Wars 2. Lord, my console is going to feel so lonely until Halo 4.

Valnen

Does not mean the system is broken or fucked up. The game is ready for release. Deal with it.

There is an entire difficulty they don't expect you to play before reaching level cap. Hell difficulty is entirely balanced for people that are level 60. So yes, customization in skills before endgame is out the window since the entire point is to get to the end game.

There is an entire difficulty they don't expect you to play before reaching level cap. Hell difficulty is entirely balanced for people that are level 60. So yes, customization in skills before endgame is out the window since the entire point is to get to the end game.

so basically you have horrible opinions

I don't get why people use this as an excuse. There are certain skills that will not be available until max level in a game that is supposed to be all about customizability. In the past, if we wanted a certain skill, we could get to level 30 (considerably less time than level 60) and go farm the rune we want. Now, we only have the option to get to level 60.

No, the game is not ready for release. This patch was added, what, 2 weeks ago?

Talon

Neither do Blizzard.
World of WarCraft: Game was unplayable for, what, a month after launch?
WarCraft III: Massive balance patched that nerfed Frost Dragons and Chimera came out just a few weeks after launch.

Blizzard takes a ton of time with their games, but that isn't exactly a sign of a perfect product. Then again, the iteration is what we love about them.

Well, if they will announce it today - April 17th. If not - still waiting. My guess is it will go down today, Jay Wilson tweet said as much.

GorillaJu

Don't you feel like there'd be some kind of large open beta, and a bit more hurrah, if it was releasing in only a month and a half from now?

Don't you feel like there'd be some kind of large open beta, and a bit more hurrah, if it was releasing in only a month and a half from now?

Was this the case with previous products? 1.5 months sounds reasonable to me - it's a PC game (lol, PC game), from franchise people follow and are crazy about. My guess it vast majority of players will know it is coming the moment they announce release date. For the rest it will take one visit to game store to figure it out.

I don't really see the point of hyping D3 the same way as ME3.

Kalnos

Banned
dontknowifserious.gif

I remember servers dying for 2-3 days at a time well into 2006.

The game was fine, they took down servers for extended maintenance at times but it certainly wasn't 'unplayable'. If you're talking about the launch then I don't remember any problems outside of loot lag and the occasional rollback.

What the hell are you talking about? It was the smoothest MMO launch ever.

Eh? I've been playing most MMO's since Earth and Beyond and it was one of the worst IMO. Heck, I remember getting several days of free service due to all the problems.

I remember being stuck looting for 2 hours unable to move. And I couldn't log out or I would be in queue for 7 hours. And the scary thing is I wasn't on one of the worst servers. I think Blackrock took that crown.

WoW vanilla was a great game but the first month was VERY unstable.

Top Bottom