• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sothpaw

- Inferno equipment gives You 5x more stats than Hell's ones

You are basically god in Hell with new equipment.

Imho Inferno should have 2-4 times stronger mobs, 30-50% better equipment stats and more focus on monsters abilities to make combat more skill based and strategic.

50% better equipment will still trivialize hell. Might as well make Inferno a true end game and have it be exponentially harder than hell.

Evasion is hit or miss, right? So if they'll hit You, You will die. Its minimum damage from one monster, when You will have 15-20 of them, You will dodge maybe 70%, so 30% [4-6] will hit You for sure = You're dead.

If you allow 15-20 monsters to beat on you then Inferno isn't for you.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
How real are those pics?

If they are real thats some insane shit.

Sample pages from bradygames guide.

GOdC2.png

Yeah, but we are already talking about damage reduced by resistances and armor.

What do you mean you are already talking about damage reduced and resistances? I didn't see anything about it but maybe I missed it. But yeah taking 75% off the total damage done then adding in armor or resistance mitigation and whatever other stuff you have at that point stuff isn't going to one shot you, more like 3 or 4 shot you. There were some monsters in diablo 2 that did the same thing actually, namely the lightning wraiths on the way to baal in hell.

Its not really a big dea

Sothpaw

What do you mean you are already talking about damage reduced and resistances? I didn't see anything about it but maybe I missed it. But yeah taking 75% off the total damage done then adding in armor or resistsnce mitigation and whatever other stuff you have at that point stuff isn't going to one shot you, more like 3 or 4 shot you. There were some monsters in diablo 2 that did the same thing actually, named the lightning wraiths on the way to baal in hell.

Its not really a big deal

I think he's way off base. If you look at the Act 1 Inferno normal mob, it only hits for 18K. Blizzard said Inferno is set up progression style. So yes, it is probably fine for an Act I Inferno mob to hit for 18K and an Act IV Inferno mob to hit for 170k. Since we are stuck at level 60 and mobs get higher in level per Inferno act, the gear needs to scale pretty highly.

Sothpaw

Having already known a while back, I was hoping people would not post any that gave info away D: welcome to the spoiled club.

I don't care much for videogame stories, I just need atmosphere and art...
Are the Garden of Hope and Silver Spire in Heaven?

KKRT00

50% better equipment will still trivialize hell. Might as well make Inferno a true end game and have it be exponentially harder than hell.
50% is the best You can find and still doesnt make Hell trivial, if it gives You two times healths and two/three times damage, You will clear faster and be much safer, but still not safe enough. But when You scale items that they sustain damage from 10 stronger mobs on Inferno, Hell became cake when You can tank almost anything without much of health loss, or just demolish everything with one-two hits [like in act 1 in beta].

As an example:
'By my design'
You have equipment in Hell that allow You to deal 5000 damage, You go to Inferno and find something that gives You 7500 damage.
By those numbers
You deal 5000 damage in Hell and its enough for monsters, but in Inferno You will need 50000 for the same effect.

Now compare how You will clear Hell with those two weapons.
For Accursed champion You would need:
20-27 hits with Hell equipment
13-18 hits with best Inferno Equipment [+50%]
2-3 hits if You use Blizzard scaling [10x]

If you allow 15-20 monsters to beat on you then Inferno isn't for you.
You know Melee classes are melee, because they are fighting in contact? :> Dunno if kitting groups of enemies to seperate 2-3 to engage everytime would be so awesome on barbarian/monk in long run, maybe for some.

50% is the best You can find and still doesnt make Hell trivial, if it gives You two times healths and two/three times damage, You will clear faster and be much safer, but still not safe enough. But when You scale items that they sustain damage from 10 stronger mobs on Inferno, Hell became cake when You can tank almost anything without much of health loss, or just demolish everything with one-two hits [like in act 1 in beta].

As an example:
'By my design'
You have equipment in Hell that allow You to deal 5000 damage, You go to Inferno and find something that gives You 7500 damage.
By those numbers
You deal 5000 damage in Hell and its enough for monsters, but in Inferno You will need 50000 for the same effect.

You know Melee classes are melee, because they are fighting in contact? :> Dunno if kitting 2-3 enemies everytime would be so awesome on barbarian in long run, maybe for some.

If you have full inferno gear what are you doing back in hell? And why would it matter to you how fast stuff dies. You are looking at this all wrong, hell is the old nightmare now and inferno is the new hell. Just like nightmare got tossed away after being hell capable the same is going to happen with hell now and that is just fine.

If inferno is to hard for someone they wont have inferno gear to take back to hell with them so they can keep playing there as long as they want. The game is about character power progression, killing stuff in 2 hits is the very thing everyone is striving for.

99%

The thing I don't get if this is all real is that it has been said if I recall correctly that going back to between Hell and Inferno would make sense. With such a big gap in everything I don't see how thats the case.

KKRT00

If you have full inferno gear what are you doing back in hell? And why would it matter to you how fast stuff dies. You are looking at this all wrong, hell is the old nightmare now and inferno is the new hell. Just like nightmare got tossed away after being hell capable the same is going to happen with hell now and that is just fine.

If inferno is to hard for someone they wont have inferno gear to take back to hell with them so they can keep playing there as long as they want. The game is about character power progression, killing stuff in 2 hits is the very thing everyone is striving for.

Jay Wilson said that You can get great gear even in Hell and sometimes best gear in Hell is better than good one in Inferno.

And its not like old Nightmare to Hell, because this difficulty is flat. Jump from Nightmare to Inferno means 20+ level difference, its not the same thing.

The thing I don't get if this is all real is that it has been said if I recall correctly that going back to between Hell and Inferno would make sense. With such a big gap in everything I don't see how thats the case.

It was said you will have to go back to hell to farm gear because you will have no chance of survival in inferno straight after beating the final boss in hell. As far as I know it was never said that there would be some tangible reason to go back after beating inferno or whatever.

I'm not really sure why anyone would want to go back once they are inferno capable, and if you did want to go back just do so and kill stuff fast. I guess i'm missing the point on this one D:

99%

It was said you will have to go back to hell to farm gear because you will have no chance of survival in inferno straight after beating the final boss in hell. As far as I know it was never said that there would be some tangible reason to go back after beating inferno or whatever.

I'm not really sure why anyone would want to go back once they are inferno capable, and if you did want to go back just do so and kill stuff fast. I guess i'm missing the point on this one D:

Im guessing progress on Inferno will be super slow, so you might want to run through other acts on hell for fun/gold/loot?

It's hard to say.

Sothpaw

As an example:
'By my design'
By those numbers

As was stated earlier, the jump from Act IV hell to Act I inferno isn't that great. However, the jump from Act IV hell to Act IV inferno is astronomical. This is by design to give players a greater sense of progression. Yes, hell difficulty will be trivialized. Yes, it is a necessary result of continued progression.

You know Melee classes are melee, because they are fighting in contact? :> Dunno if kitting groups of enemies to seperate 2-3 to engage everytime would be so awesome on barbarian/monk in long run, maybe for some.

Stun, slow, knockback, etc. If you take on 15-20 monsters at a time you have no business in Inferno.

Jay Wilson said that You can get great gear even in Hell and sometimes best gear in Hell is better than good one in Inferno.

The best gear in Hell is better than good gear in Inferno Act I. The best gear in Hell will be worthless compared to Act IV Inferno gear. Each Act in Inferno has its own tier of gear.

Im guessing progress on Inferno will be super slow, so you might want to run through other acts on hell for fun/gold/loot?

It's hard to say.

Pretty much, inferno is meant to be a slow grind, the true end game so to speak. The idea will be to use hell for getting items and / gold whatnot to trade / use the AH to get better inferno viable gear.

If your rings and gloves aren't up to par, you can go back down to hell and find some that are better suited to inferno to make your trek through it a little easier.

I can't see any reason for them to try to give incentive to go back to hell once your all ready to dig your heels in and make a serious run at inferno.

Nope, paperback. On Amazon anyway.

I'm imagining the prices for inferno viable gear....

I need new pants.

Believe me, you are better off not imagining the prices of the best gear in the game, if D2 is any indication. Items sold for thousands of dollars on a regular basis in places like d2jsp.

Either those numbers are off, there are still unlisted items on the game page, or potions become obsolete in Inferno (which would be an odd design choice.)

The top tier healing potion (that we know about) only heals for 12,500 health.

Probably the safest bet is that there are higher tier potions currently unlisted, because it would be odd if you simply weren't meant to heal in Inferno. It would give classes that have healing skills (which scale) an undue advantage.

Either those numbers are off, there are still unlisted items on the game page, or potions become obsolete in Inferno (which would be an odd design choice.)

The top tier healing potion (that we know about) only heals for 12,500 health.

Probably the safest bet is that there are higher tier potions currently unlisted, because it would be odd if you simply weren't meant to heal in Inferno. It would give classes that have healing skills (which scale) an undue advantage.

I don't think the items page is anywhere near complete, I'm sure we will get something like the arreat summit once the game releases or a bit after. I do remember them saying they are making health orbs incredibly important in inferno though so maybe that could attribute to weaker potions? who knows.

Valnen

I might just have to buy that bradygames guide. It's beautiful. I just bought the UMVC3 one, wish I could take it back...even if it was amazingly useful.

Yes, but D2 also had a limited item seller market (relative to EVERYONE in D3).

D2 also had a crap ton of dupes and no real lack of items since there was bots running 24/7.

The fact that stuff is going to be just as rare, but there wont be any dupes or bots if all goes according to plan means that the prices on the top of the top stuff is going to be outrageous and people will actually pay it.

Valnen

Probably exactly why they got 30% internal damage reduction. I could see a defensive oriented barbarian running around with 60-70% or more damage reduction in inferno easily, add shield block to that and it's easy to see how those numbers become survivable if you're careful.

forrest

formerly nacire
I don't think the items page is anywhere near complete, I'm sure we will get something like the arreat summit once the game releases or a bit after. I do remember them saying they are making health orbs incredibly important in inferno though so maybe that could attribute to weaker potions? who knows.

I hope so! After looking at those guide pages, the one thing I noticed is that none of those mobs will drop health globes after normal mode! O_O Cool pics by the way!

rCIZZLE

Hmm, haven't paid much attention to the beta or new game mechanics (keeping myself in the dark for the surprises) but I need one thing clarified by you guys in-the-know. Is it true you can reset skills whenever you like? One of my buddies was talking about it and that kind of worried me.

Artadius

Wait... so is Brady Games making an iPad version of the D3 guide? Those pictures imply that you can click on parts of the guide to expand info or trigger movies or something...

Hmm, haven't paid much attention to the beta or new game mechanics (keeping myself in the dark for the surprises) but I need one thing clarified by you guys in-the-know. Is it true you can reset skills whenever you like? One of my buddies was talking about it and that kind of worried me.

In normal you can, and the cooldown is really short. I think they said that after normal there is a rather sizable cooldown to use the skills after you swap them so no gaming the system swapping skills mid fight.

rCIZZLE

In normal you can, and the cooldown is really short. I think they said that after normal there is a rather sizable cooldown to use the skills after you swap them so no gaming the system swapping skills mid fight.

Not even just that, I kind of liked the fact that testing a character was a commitment. It probably won't bring down my experience too much but everybody requiring only 5 characters, LLD excluded, is kind of a bummer. I hope the cooldown is in days after a certain level.

Not even just that, I kind of liked the fact that testing a character was a commitment. It probably won't bring down my experience too much but everybody requiring only 5 characters, LLD excluded, is kind of a bummer. I hope the cooldown is in days after a certain level.

There is no permanence to skill choices like d2 if that's what you mean. You are free to switch around skills as you wish. Just have to be out of combat or wait the 15-30 seconds cooldown from switching and you will lose your magic find buff.

Valnen

Anyone play with a controller? I want to use my Dualshock 3 to play instead of a mouse.

The game does not have native controller support but I have seen a video on youtube where someone used a program along the lines of motionjoy/pinnacle to get it working.

Edit: Ugh, how could I make a typo like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom