• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 (console) Reviews

dc89

Reviews are coming in.

OPM UK: 8/10

A deceptively simple and expertly constructed Beelzebub-basher, translated smartly for a platform not immediately receptive to the genre.

Game Informer: 9.25/10

The console version of Diablo III is different from the PC version, and some diehard fans will denounce it for that reason alone. For me, however, it’s different in all the right ways. With an engaging new control scheme, fewer online hurdles, and all the depth of the original, taking on Diablo’s legion of demon lords has never been more enjoyable.

Eurogamer: 9/10

Diablo 3 on console is one of the best co-op games money can buy. It swings smoothly from easygoing to intense, with perfectly paced pockets of downtime, and is capable of swallowing entire evenings in a single, voracious gulp. It's a Lego game for loot-hungry grown-ups and it gets better with every player you add. If you have co-op partners who would also enjoy it, this version is an essential purchase. If you don't, it's still easier to recommend than the PC game; almost as slick, even more flexible and usable and without that troublesome always online requirement.

Diablo 3 is a bold, bloody, opulent romp built around a ruthlessly simple distillation of action role-playing. It's perfectly comfortable in its new home on consoles, and so is Blizzard.

GameSurf (Italian) 9/10

Blizzard has done it again. Diablo III on consoles is a perfect mix of accessibility and depth, an example of how you can intelligently adapt a PC game to a platform that is conceptually different.

GamesVillage (Italian) 8.9/10

Yes, Blizzard has done it: like it or not, the debut on PS3 and Xbox 360 is fully convincing, proving that with a little commitment and effort you can achieve the unexpected.

Xater

Good game is still good. I might pick up the PS4 version once they also have the expansion for that one out. Not gonna get the expansion for my Mac because Blizzard really disappointed me with the performance.

Anustart

Finally a game nobody can deny is superior on consoles compared to the PC version

tumblr_me06nwPQWk1rlbvwso1_400.gif

Bold prediction!

Finally a game nobody can deny is superior on consoles compared to the PC version

I've been out of touch, did they remove the AH and fixed the loot system? that's the only way it's better. I have a level 60 Witch Doctor and I just got bored of it midway through Inferno, no real incentive to keep playing.

A week ago was a friend telling me there were cool changes coming to the PC version before the expansion.

foladar

I've been out of touch, did they remove the AH and fixed the loot system? that's the only way it's better. I have a level 60 Witch Doctor and I just got bored of it midway through Inferno, no real incentive to keep playing.

A week ago was a friend telling me there were cool changes coming to the PC version before the expansion.

AH yes, loot not really. They're working on a "loot 2.0" system coming out sometime.

Squire

Banned
The Internet seems to swear D3 is terrible. I didn't believe them and still don't. 9 from EG? Come on, son.

Xater

AH yes, loot not really. They're working on a "loot 2.0" system coming out sometime.

They changed the loot system somewhat for the console version already.

The Internet seems to swear D3 is terrible. I didn't believe them and still don't. 9 from EG? Come on, son.

The internet is weird. I think there are only real problems in high level play which never aris for people who just play it normally.

UnrealEck

Mostly butthurt. Things people are hurt over:

• Auction House (particularly real money)
  • Server issues at launch of one of the biggest PC games ever made
  • The fact that it's always online in the year 2012

BigDug13

Well, unless their explanations for always online were bullshit, Blizzard themselves should be claiming that the PC version is the superior one.

Of course their explanations for always online were bullshit. They didnt want people being able to hack their real money auction house. Now that this version has no auction house whatsoever, there's no mandatory online, it actually makes it the superior game. Especially with 4 player local co-op.

Well, as with all cases like this, it's about whether or not the arguments hold. People have in length described the problems the game have, so it's up to you to decide if you care about those issues.

When you write a comment like that one, it seems like you want to say that peoples argument are invalid because EG gave the latest version of the game a 9. :)

Saty

Reviewers had the chance to give the game a more down-to-earth score but doesn't seem they are taking it.

BigDug13

Well, as with all cases like this, it's about whether or not the arguments hold. People have in length described the problems the game have, so it's up to you to decide if you care about those issues.

When you write a comment like that one, it seems like you want to say that peoples argument are invalid because EG gave the latest version of the game a 9. :)

The biggest problem with the game has been corrected. Auction houses and loot drops tuned to the auction house and revenue stream.

Also no mandatory servers so no more connection issues ruining your fun.

Bsigg12

Reviewers had the chance to give the game a more down-to-earth score but doesn't seem they are taking it.

It's not the hot pile of shit D3 was at launch. They fixed a lot here. Personally, I'm excited to give it a go on the 360.

BigDug13

Because of the 4-players on one console?

And lack of auction house and no more need to connect to a server and no more loot drops tuned to their RMAH revenue stream and altered controls to make fighting fun with a controller instead of click, click, click.

UnrealEck

And lack of auction house and no more need to connect to a server and no more loot drops tuned to their RMAH revenue stream and altered controls to make fighting fun with a controller instead of click, click, click.

I thought the auction house was optional. What's so bad about connecting to a server in this day and age? Don't know what you mean about the tuned loot drops. You prefer controlling a game like Diablo with a controller you're likely in the minority.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
This is going to be my couch co-op game after I'm done with Dragon's Crown and before Borderlands 2 GOTY edition.

BigDug13

I thought the auction house was optional. What's so bad about connecting to a server in this day and age? Don't know what you mean about the tuned loot drops. You prefer controlling a game like Diablo with a controller you're likely in the minority.

Oh, I see what's happening, you're going to shoot down every feature because it interferes with your PC master race view of the game. (I am a part of that master race)

Auction House was garbage and unbalanced the lower content in multiplayer. Sure, I could avoid going, then I can just tag along behind others in multiplayer as they mowed through all the content.

Tuned loot drops means the loot drops originally sucked because they wanted to stifle the flow of good loot in the game so that people would turn to the RMAH to buy gear. The game was tuned to produce revenue.

I don't know that I will like playing the game with a controller, but I'm certainly willing to give it a try as I can better relax on the couch with my friends instead of being hunched over my desk without my friends.

Connecting to a server that introduces lag because enemies are handled server side and gives you no option to play offline when servers are down is NOT better than having the ability to play the game offline, no matter how much you try to spin your "mandatory online is no big deal" rhetoric.

I played every class to 60. So it's not like I'm speaking for Inexperience with the game.

And playing with 4 people on a couch IS a big deal, no matter how much you try to downplay its importance. Something the PC version can't replicate.

Raonak

Banned
As someone who dislikes click to move control systems. This has me very interested.

waiting for ps4 ver

The ONLY problem I had with this game was:

• The shitty story
  • The Auction House
  • The stupid Inferno difficulty.
Other than all three, the game was fun as hell. I won't buy the console version, seeing as how I've completed it 8, 9 times on the PC... but if they say it's fun, give it a shot.

LiK

The always online even for Solo play was stupid and real money AH caused a lot of issues as well.

Console version takes away all the worst parts about it. Well, the dialogue is still terrible tho.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
So, none of these reviews address how little the maps and monster encounters are randomized, to the point where they're basically unrandomized.

None of these reviews address how the loot design means that you need to have certain stats on all gear pieces or else junk all your drops.

None of these reviews address how there's only a handful of useful skills and viable builds.

None of these reviews address how the game still doesn't apparently give any incentive to the player to play the game at any higher difficultly, beyond the sake of doing so.

I guess it doesn't matter. Take away that accursed Auction House and online requirement, and all of these problems magically cease to exist.

Tuned loot drops means the loot drops originally sucked because they wanted to stifle the flow of good loot in the game so that people would turn to the RMAH to buy gear. The game was tuned to produce revenue.
Yes, that's right.

Blizzard put in RMAH not because they didn't want to have a piece of the d2jsp pie and try to do something about people getting scammed. It was a pure money grab scheme of their own.

Yep.

The legend shall never die.

ps: If that was their intent, they definitely failed to make it work on me. 1000 hours and not one cent of my real money was used to get gear on RMAH.

Mostly butthurt. Things people are hurt over:

• Auction House (particularly real money)
  • Server issues at launch of one of the biggest PC games ever made
  • The fact that it's always online in the year 2012

Auction House (particularly real money)

real money

Auction house Real Money? I mean,can somebody enlighten me?

Cause I have not heard about this and nothing makes me more furious than microtransactions. Let those big corporations suck our pocket dry

LiK

Auction house Real Money? I mean,can somebody enlighten me?

Cause I have not heard about this and nothing makes me more furious than microtransactions. Let those big corporations suck our pocket dry

You can buy/sell loot for real money. That's the gist of it.

BigDug13

So, none of these reviews address how little the maps and monster encounters are randomized, to the point where they're basically unrandomized.

None of these reviews address how the loot design means that you need to have certain stats on all gear pieces or else junk all your drops.

None of these reviews address how there's only a handful of useful skills and viable builds.

None of these reviews address how the game still doesn't apparently give any incentive to the player to play the game at any higher difficultly, beyond the sake of doing so.

I guess it doesn't matter. Take away that accursed Auction House and online requirement, and all of these problems cease to exist.

Yes, that's right.

Blizzard put in RMAH not because they didn't want to have a piece of the d2jsp pie and try to do something about people getting scammed. It was a pure money grab scheme of their own.

Yep.

The legend shall never die.

ps: If that was their intent, they definitely failed to make it work on me. 1000 hours and not one cent of my real money was used to get gear on RMAH.

That's great for you. I feel the same way about the RMAH as I do about microtransactions to speed up grinding. It causes a conflict of interest for the developer. They try to make the game fun, but not too fun that you won't have incentive to be pushed towards spending money. I would rather play games from developers who don't have to try to push players towards spending money.

I never said I was getting this game again. I was merely listing out the reasons why I feel like this version will be better than the PC version. That doesn't mean I'm saying its a good game. I quit playing it a long time ago.

Ushae

Banned
I'll be grabbing this for X1 along with the expansion pack, played the PC version a while ago. Can't wait to try out the new class.

Top Bottom