• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 (console) Reviews

ShadyJ

But what's the purpose of grinding to 100 Paragon? It seemed like filler as soon as Blizzard announced it, especially if you no longer enjoy the game.

The Paragon system was implemented for a few reasons.

BAD drop rates, and No other end game besides Infernal Machine.

The Paragon system was meant to help with Magic Find since MF wasn't on any meaningful gear and still inst for the most part.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This thread is killing me :lol What the hell happened?

KKRT00

So, three reviews of a game thats on the market 1.5 years and has known problems and no even single info about Stash and Inferno?

Thats game journalism for You ...

ShadyJ

Exactly. You have a really poor argument calling it a bad game. I don't think it's a good game. I didn't play it for very long either.

The games systems are bad, the fact that legendaries are now relegated to Brimstones 90% of the time is a massive problem.

Your not grinding gear now, that gear never comes your grinding Magic find which is SUPPOSE to help get gear that never comes.

BigDug13

The Paragon system was implemented for a few reasons.

BAD drop rates, and No other end game besides Infernal Machine.

The Paragon system was meant to help with Magic Find since MF wasn't on any meaningful gear and still inst for the most part.

Right, but you hate grinding for it and you're not enjoying the game, so I'm still trying to figure out why your character must achieve 100 paragon. Will you quit the game afterwards? Or is that when you'll start loot grinding in the higher acts?

Because it doesn't sound like you enjoy the game anymore.

V_Arnold

LOL ok then, i didnt play the game for 300 hours dude.

I played a Barbarian since release day, i was forced to use a shield and 1 hander then, IT WAS THE MOST BORING CLASS

But now since the HoTA/WW/Rend builds were devised because of the upgrade of the Skorn my opinion is not valid?

You guys are pathetic sometimes.

Yeah, it was a joke, but okay.

But at the end of the day, we are not the ones repeating a run over and over again that we did not enjoy in order to get a number on the character sheet.

ShadyJ

Right, but you hate grinding for it and you're not enjoying the game, so I'm still trying to figure out why your character must achieve 100 paragon. Will you quit the game afterwards? Or is that when you'll start loot grinding in the higher acts?

Because it doesn't sound like you enjoy the game anymore.

I was trying to achieve 100 because it was a goal i set for myself since they released it, i purchased the game and wanted to like it, believe me me i did.

The game is enjoyable but not in its current state, EVERYONE i know who plays isnt playing anymore and waiting for loot 2.0 because grinding now isnt worth it.

I must have like 500 Brimstones.. not even counting the crap i vendored before Brimstones came in.

Loxley

All I ask for is something that can at least vaguely mirror my experience of playing Champions of Norrath couch co-op with my friends back in the PS2 days. Looks as though that may be the case, so I'll definitely be picking it up at some point.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What's the easiest class for a beginner level player ? Barbarian sounds good because it looks like a traditional DPS class, but the guy a few posts above who said he had to use shield the entire time doesn't exactly inspire confidence -_-

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What's the easiest class for a beginner level player ? Barbarian sounds good because it looks like a traditional DPS class, but the guy a few posts above who said he had to use shield the entire time doesn't exactly inspire confidence -_-
He's talking about how it used to be before they nerfed it.

ShadyJ

Barb used to be rubbish, we couldn't kill anything on release. We needed a shield and one hander.

Now if you want smash things to bits roll a barb WW/HoTA build with a skorn

ShadyJ

Yeah, it was a joke, but okay.

But at the end of the day, we are not the ones repeating a run over and over again that we did not enjoy in order to get a number on the character sheet.

Well sarcasm doesn't transfer through a monitor well sometimes.

Especially when your copping it from all sides.

Might buy if the expansion ends up actually addressing the item system properly, looking at their track-record I'm not convinced that it will though.

ShadyJ

Might buy if the expansion ends up actually addressing the item system properly, looking at their track-record I'm not convinced that it will though.

Loot 2.0 is suppose to increase value of drops but decrease the rate the drop.

The way it works now is the drop rates are OK but its always junk

KKRT00

What you need to know exactly? I've really been out of the loop on that, but I might ask our contributor who's reviewing it.

Info about stash would be a start. How many slots are there for example?

For example in PC version they've decrease amount of tabs to 3 from 5 in comparison to beta, because they've said that they are worried about database overload. They've also said that they will increase number of slots post-launch, when server load decrease, but they've never done that. On consoles though everything is saved locally so there should be almost unlimited amount of tabs.

Varth

Info about stash would be a start. How many slots are there for example?

For example in PC version they've decrease amount of tabs to 3 from 5 in comparison to beta, because they've said that they are worried about database overload. They've also said that they will increase number of slots post-launch, when server load decrease, but they've never done that. On consoles though everything is saved locally so there should be almost unlimited amount of tabs.

Got it. What about Inferno? The drop rate and quality of the items post RMAH erasing, I guess?

KKRT00

D3 is as balanced as Path of Chaos Inoculation is ;)
But has as much depth as CI? :p

CI is quite balanced now :) You still need quite crazy equipment to play it and transition to its hard, but yeah there was the time it was overpowered, then underpowered, then very very good, and now its just good :p

Ps. I will be playing D3 today with some friends, they are noobs though so i have to stick to normal mode ;\ and will be probably raging again about skills unlock shitty mechanic :p

Alot of people jumping on my back for an opinion i have every right to have,

But your opinion is, "it's a bad game. I know, I played it for 200+ hours."

How does that make sense? Your either someone who refuses to say it's bad when you are enjoining it, or a masochist. If you were to say it's fun until you reach a certain point i'd give you some clout, but to have 200+ hours makes you calling it a bad game sounds dumb as shit.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Reviewers that give high scores to a big game that disappointed most of the gamers?
Sadly it's the routine, not the exception.

Cels

I played for about 100hr since I found the leveling fun. Got one of each class to 60. Unfortunately, the endgame stinks, there are no interesting gear choices (everyone builds primary/ias/cc/cd), classes aren't balanced, the pvp they promised at launch has been delayed for over a year, etc, so I stopped playing. Think I hit paragon level 2 or 3 on one character but I stopped playing after that.

Will grab on the PS4 potentially, the addition of couch coop and an evade makes it sound like it'll just be a blast to play but I miss all the awesome gibs and rag doll stuff from the PC version.

Curufinwe

Good to see that people are littering the console reviews thread with the same old comaints about what happens in the PC version past the 100 hour mark.

Review scale for AAA titels does in fact start at 8/10, doesn't it? There is no fucking way in hell Diablo 3 is a near masterpiece as according to Eurogamer's 9/10. That's just not comprehensible and I DO understand the concept of "opinions", but holy shit guys, the flaws are right there in your face.

Review scale for AAA titels does in fact start at 8/10, doesn't it? There is no fucking way in hell Diablo 3 is a near masterpiece as according to Eurogamer's 9/10. That's just not comprehensible and I DO understand the concept of "opinions", but holy shit guys, the flaws are right there in your face.

Opinion based flaws though.

Massa

Not even 10/10 means flawless in Eurogamer and most publications.

All I ask for is something that can at least vaguely mirror my experience of playing Champions of Norrath couch co-op with my friends back in the PS2 days. Looks as though that may be the case, so I'll definitely be picking it up at some point.

Same here, although I think I'm waiting on the PS4 version.

I really wish Snowblind would come out with another Champions game - so much coop fun with the ones they did. War in the North did not scratch that itch.

IvorB

'Tis pointless getting working up over video game review scores. They are as meaningful as the barking of stray dogs.

FlyFaster

As someone who dislikes click to move control systems. This has me very interested.

waiting for ps4 ver

me as well. I hate games where actions are just click, click, click.

I may look into the PS3 version.

edit:

is that new class they announced going to be available on consoles from the start?

Not even 10/10 means flawless.

Review scores are abstract garbage and can mean anything or nothing, that's obviously not my point. If we intend to cling to tangible matters, let's compare it to its brilliant predecessor, Diablo 2. 1,5 years after release, there's still no PvP as far as I know. I heard the class balance is all over the place and the drop rate still hilarously low for anything worth your time. Diablo 2 had a complex PvP, rune, forge and random dungeons generator system + hidden levels and all that incredibly deep stuff Diablo 3 lacks. Surely, D2 acquired a lot of these things way after launch but that is hardly an excuse for D3 to be such an insanely shallow experience at launch given that all the experience from what made D2 so fantastic was at hand and for some reason left unused.

And even though it's anecdotal I feel like sharing that absolutely nobody has touched the game for over a year in my circle of friends. No patches, no paragon levels, none of these things remotely gained anyone's attention, that's how let down they were with its initial quality. I'm glad for console owners that they don't have to deal with the auction house rubbish but sadly, that was merely one problem out of a bunch of fundamental flaws. I can't understate how much of a trainwreck this game was. Easily pushed Deus Ex 2 off the throne as the most underwhelming sequel in history for a lot of people I think.

V_Arnold

It is downright delusional to expect reviewers to bash this game because "it stinks a little after 150+ hours, so...stay the hell away from this piece of shit".

Yeah, I get it, D2 legacy, expected to be fun after 3000+ hour mark, yadda yadda, but... what current console games do not fall apart after 100 hours? If anything, D3's currently flawed endgame is more suited to the consoles than for PC's :D

You need to have a *very specific* mindset to judge a game solely on the question: "Does it stay fun after 200 hours?". I would not mind a review site dedicated to this very question, I would enjoy reading 2/10 Skyrim reviews alongside the parade of 1/10's or 0/10's that many "AAA experiences" would get from such site, but for mainstream consumption, for a $60 game that console gamers have yet to experience? Totally in line with the rest of the industry.

Top Bottom