• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 (console) Reviews

Nibiru

Banned
The reviews of the pc version were stellar and the game turned out to be one of the most disappointing of the year. It is a fun first play through but unlike Path of Exile or even Diablo 2 there is no replay value as the loot is boring and uninspired and the maps are not random.

zoukka

This version is the Diablo 3 gameplay edition.

The PC version was a currency management simulator called the auction house.

This game wasnt on my radar at all until this thread. 4 player local co-op? YES PLZ. Really excited for this now. Is this basically like Baldurs Gate? Because I loved that game back in the day for PS2.

For the US, Toys R Us has it for $45 (free shipping).

Freezard

What's limited? I have the PC version but hate the controls so I would like to know what's degraded in the console version?

Well it looks like you can't go outside the screen in a party without being teleported back which makes some things difficult/annoying. Also the loot is not individual. I guess this is only for local play though.

The interface looks pretty clumsy, instead of seeing all the items in your inventory and on your character you have to cycle through all your inventory slots in a radial menu to see each item from every item slots. Considering how fast you fill your inventory with rares on MP10 it's gonna be a pain to sell/salvage everything quickly so that the others in your party won't have to wait. Changing skills seems to be a pain as well and you won't be able to change items or skills on the fly like on PC.

Also due to the accuracy of the mouse I think a lot of the builds won't work well or at all. Since you have no cursor you can't manually cast things on the ground wherever you want them which is crucial for my Arcane Mines/Blizzard wizard build. I would guess it's the same thing with Meteor and Bombardment with DH (pretty much a mandatory skill for DHs to be able to farm somewhat efficiently).

Then the thing with people being able to backup their HC character in case they die making it impossible for me to take HC seriously on console. I have a paragon level 30 barb on HC myself, if I know I can get the character back at anytime it's just pointless to play HC.

kinggroin

Banned
Great news for console owners.

Sucks to be on the PC side though. We still have to deal with RMAH, online always, no local co op, no controller support. The price we pay for supporting Blizzard and lining their pockets enough to have the REAL version get made.

Fuck this company.

V_Arnold

Sucks to be on the PC side though. We still have to deal with RMAH, online always, no local co op, no controller support. The price we pay for supporting Blizzard and lining their pockets enough to have the REAL version get made.

Fuck this company.

For me, the PC version is the real version. And it will become even more real once Loot runs and Loot 2.0 kicks in.

Cdammen

For me, the PC version is the real version. And it will become even more real once Loot runs and Loot 2.0 kicks in.
I'm actually just now redownloading and installing Diablo III in anticipation of this. I had fun with this game and never visited the auction house for anything than just trying it out and selling some mediocre stuff.

MMaRsu

Banned
They said its 60fps and 1080p on PS3. Not sure about 360, but probably the same.

I don't think this is 1080p on Ps3...

Also, reviews talk about how it's a good job by Blizzard to make this game work on a console, when this game was probably already built to be tailored to consoles in the first place?

Santar

Seems a lot of people have not realized that the console version basically has Loot 2.0 as well, you find fewer items but better ones just like in Loot 2.0.

theytookourjobz

I don't think this is 1080p on Ps3...

Also, reviews talk about how it's a good job by Blizzard to make this game work on a console, when this game was probably already built to be tailored to consoles in the first place?

It wasn't built for consoles.

Any Diablo 3 thread that isn't the OT is full of such vitriol it's sickening. I never played Diablo 2 so maybe I'm not allowed to have an opinion but D3 is a fine game and Blizzard has put in a lot of work to make it better since launch.

Nokterian

Fuck this company.

Worst thing is there patch cycle..it takes to freaking long. Someone posted it in the reaper of souls announcment thread about how blizzard until this day operates on patches and other stuff. But yeah the reviews do no justice same game,different controls,no AH and that's it. At this point Blizzard doesn't know what there doing and looking at how other company's really listen to there community and do what needs to be done well they can have my money. Sure Blizzard does listen what i see but it the communication is still very lacking. Played D3 on day one but due to horrible server issues and what not i just stopped playing went playing again after a few weeks but the damage was all ready done, i hate mandatory always online and it shows it doesn't work at all.

MMaRsu

Banned

Any Diablo 3 thread that isn't the OT is full of such vitriol it's sickening. I never played Diablo 2 so maybe I'm not allowed to have an opinion but D3 is a fine game and Blizzard has put in a lot of work to make it better since launch.

What vitriol? I haven't played Diablo III yet but I thought this was a general consensus amongst D3 players?

Cipherr

What vitriol? I haven't played Diablo III yet but I thought this was a general consensus amongst D3 players?

That vitriol is why you think that. Plenty of people enjoyed the game. Shitloads even. I didn't pour 500 hours into a game I didn't like. It definitely had its issues (as all games do) but there's no way that I would call it a bad game.

marrec

Banned

Nah, most D3 players actually like the game, or they wouldn't be playing it.

I played the hell out of Diablo 2 and think that Diablo 3 is a worthy successor. Both games have their flaws and strengths.

Azull

Omg if they fixed the rubberbanding in the game I would easiky pick it up. D3 is unplayable with that bullshit as a wizard. Isn't there also a dodge mechanic in the console versions? I'm curious why they haven't patched it in the PC ver..

Everyone at work is talking about this game. I've heard it mentioned more in the past couple of weeks than I have heard Call of Duty or Gran Theft Auto. This game will be huge on release.

I've been swept up by it as well. Will be buying on launch.

V_Arnold

Check out the OT in the Community section. Plenty of people still enjoying and playing the game. Reality is only distorted in the "I judged thee pre 1.0.3/5/7/8" Gaming side.

gogosox8

That GI review is terrible. Doesn't talk about the framerate, doesn't talk about whether the drops are better on the console version than they are on pc, "mentions" the different control scheme but then doesn't say which one he prefers or how the controller works (is it good, can we reconfigure, etc). Only talks about the bad UI and normal mode being stupid easy and that's basically it but still gives it a 9.25. Seriously? WTF man. I usually don't get that upset with reviews but man and at least try to give a decent one (ie actually talk about the game mechanics and whether their good or not).

denshuu

I thought the auction house was optional. What's so bad about connecting to a server in this day and age? Don't know what you mean about the tuned loot drops. You prefer controlling a game like Diablo with a controller you're likely in the minority.

Since all the responses to this were trolls, here's the legit answer.

The auction house was awful because the drops were balanced around it. Almost all of your drops were completely useless merchant fodder. You never found sets, even after hundreds of hours of gameplay, because the pieces are purposefully designed to be so rare that it mandates paying actual money for the pieces you need. The console version fixed this by making drops less frequent and significantly boosting the likelihood of finding uncommon and rare drops to about the level you'd expect a Diablo game to be.

Connecting to a server in this day and age is a problem because there are a lot of times when this happens.

error-3003.jpg

Even today, servers go down. Which means you aren't able to play a single player game. Which is silly. The launch of Diablo 3 was one of the worst launches of any game I've ever seen for that reason.

Also, all of these changes are being added to the PC version of Diablo 3 with the Reaper of Souls expansion. So you can still play with a mouse and keyboard without having to deal with D3's shoddy auction house nonsense. Plus you get a new class and all that.

V_Arnold

"You never found sets"

Then who found it? :DDD
Because other players were selling them on the AH and on the RMAH as well.

marrec

Banned
Since all the responses to this were trolls, here's the legit answer.

The auction house was awful because the drops were balanced around it. Almost all of your drops were completely useless merchant fodder. You never found sets, even after hundreds of hours of gameplay, because the pieces are purposefully designed to be so rare that it mandates paying actual money for the pieces you need. The console version fixed this by making drops less frequent and significantly boosting the likelihood of finding uncommon and rare drops to about the level you'd expect a Diablo game to be.

Connecting to a server in this day and age is a problem because there are a lot of times when this happens.

error-3003.jpg

Even today, servers go down. Which means you aren't able to play a single player game. Which is silly. The launch of Diablo 3 was one of the worst launches of any game I've ever seen for that reason.

Also, all of these changes are being added to the PC version of Diablo 3 with the Reaper of Souls expansion. So you can still play with a mouse and keyboard without having to deal with D3's shoddy auction house nonsense. Plus you get a new class and all that.

I feel like there needs to be one of those [citation needed] addendums to this post.

It's like you played a totally different game.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
The auction house was awful because the drops were balanced around it. Almost all of your drops were completely useless merchant fodder. You never found sets, even after hundreds of hours of gameplay
Anecdotal evidence and all, but I remember having a day within a month of playing where I had one set piece and two Legendary pieces drop within an hour.

I was able to get the achievement for finding a full set as well.

Also, this whole notion that finding sets and Legendaries is the only way to measure how good the drop rates are is totally false, because most of the set pieces and Legendaries are honestly garbage.
The only good 2H is a (well rolled) Skorn. The only good 1H is an Echoing Fury (also only if well rolled). This was particularly so before the major legendary revision patch. At launch, the legendaries were basically all markedly worse than common rares.
the pieces are purposefully designed to be so rare that it mandates paying actual money for the pieces you need.
1000 hours played and I never spent a cent of my own money on RMAH. I'm not alone in this.
The console version fixed this by making drops less frequent and significantly boosting the likelihood of finding uncommon and rare drops to about the level you'd expect a Diablo game to be.
Unless items have a tendency to always roll primary, vit, AR, CC, IAS, CD, you'll have the same problems with drops in the console version as the PC game has now.

Dahbomb

I am going to be calling shenanigans on people saying they are finding better gear on the consoles than on PC.

They will be better only due to there being no AH to compare your stuff with. The loot tables are going to be the same, I don't think they are implementing Loot 2.0 on consoles first.

ReaperXL7

I am going to be calling shenanigans on people saying they are finding better gear on the consoles than on PC.

They will be better only due to there being no AH to compare your stuff with. The loot tables are going to be the same, I don't think they are implementing Loot 2.0 on consoles first.

Well unless Blizzard says one way, or another its impossible to tell, but they have already given the console versions significant advantages, so I would not say its unthinkable that they added loot 2.0 during development of the console versions to avoid having to worry about it later.

I still get shivers when I think of playing Diablo with a control pad.

Im not sure why, especially for melee classes direct control is far better imo then M/Kb, for magic I could see it being an advantage, but not game breaking.

Top Bottom