• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 (console) Reviews

Dahbomb

Well unless Blizzard says one way, or another its impossible to tell, but they have already given the console versions significant advantages, so I would not say its unthinkable that they added loot 2.0 during development of the console versions to avoid having to worry about it later.
The only 3 advantages of the console version are no AH, local co-op and the combat dodge.

If they had added Loot 2.0 to consoles they would've been hyping it up and it would've been in their press release.

Jedi2016

The only 3 advantages of the console version are no AH, local co-op and the combat dodge.

If they had added Loot 2.0 to consoles they would've been hyping it up and it would've been in their press release.
They've been talking about it the entire time. But it's not the same as the PC's "Loot 2.0", so they haven't been calling it that. But they've repeatedly mentioned that the drops on console are significantly different (i.e. more class-centric) than the drops on PC. I suppose the only reason we're still talking about it is because the reviews haven't mentioned it. But you'd bet your ass they'd mention if it wasn't there, if they went through the whole game without being able to gear up.

Loot 2.0 is not the second coming, and it's not going to fix the PC's broken loot system. Improve it, yes, but it will still be inherently AH-centric, and the majority of drops will still be worthless to your playing class.

So before everyone jumps to the conclusion that absolutely nothing has changed, Blizzard was lying, and the game still has a broken loot system, let's wait until folks here on GAF have actually played it and can give us some hands-on info.

Cels

Yeah, loot 2.0 isn't coming to the pc version until next year so there's no way it's in the console version.

Dahbomb

They've been talking about it the entire time. But it's not the same as the PC's "Loot 2.0", so they haven't been calling it that. But they've repeatedly mentioned that the drops on console are significantly different (i.e. more class-centric) than the drops on PC. I suppose the only reason we're still talking about it is because the reviews haven't mentioned it. But you'd bet your ass they'd mention if it wasn't there, if they went through the whole game without being able to gear up.
So there is nothing to either support or refute the claims as of yet.

Karak

Yeah I got confirmation. I'm always leery cause sometimes the review embargo is different from the streaming one. Odd but I've had it happen.

The PR contact is still there right now if you want to email them maybe? I have talked to them just recently. If your plan was to do it tonight.

Birthday is coming up soon so may wanna get this.

Has there been any comparisons between the 360 and PS3 versions? Like, which is better in regards to graphics and performance?

The PR contact is still there right now if you want to email them maybe? I have talked to them just recently. If your plan was to do it tonight.

Oh yeah for sure, that's why I said I got confirmation, he already said it was a go :D thanks for helping though.

Atomski

Mostly butthurt. Things people are hurt over:

• Auction House (particularly real money)
  • Server issues at launch of one of the biggest PC games ever made
  • The fact that it's always online in the year 2012

Personally I thought the story was awful.. and predictable. Also after beating it once its boring as shit.

I'm very, very interested in how well this will do sales-wise. Just seems like a really interesting outcome with it being a AAA console ARPG from Blizzard. I've got no idea at all how this might sell to the console audience. I've seen commercials for it during really popular shows too so it's got the advertising part down.

I'm picking this up for PS4 whenever it gets released. PSVita remote play too!

I almost forgot that there was a PS4 version coming. That's confirmed, right? I think I'll wait too (unless we see it for $30 or something around Black Friday) Got enough to play right now.

mustafa

Banned
These reviews are ridiculous - you can't just take away the AH, give better drops, and add local co-op and suddenly the game is a 9/10.

What about the fact that there's no point in re-playing as the same class?
What about the fact that you're basically looking for only 1 (if SC) or 2 (if HC) stats on every piece of loot?
What about the ridiculousness of a mage being more powerful with a two-handed axe than with a staff?
What about the fact that there aren't really that many unique builds - most skills suck no matter what?
What about the bad graphics, bad sound/music, bad dialogue, and bad story?

So there is nothing to either support or refute the claims as of yet.

I honestly don't care either way, I only played the beta for D3, but I remember distinctly that in most articles I've read about the console version, they distinctly mention how much they changed the loot system. Lowering the drop amount, giving more gold, upping the drop rate for significant and relevant items. I remember thinking that it all sounded pretty interesting given people's complaints. I'm by no means saying it's the same as Loot 2.0 (honestly, I know nothing about that), but clearly they altered the loot system fairly significantly and have been talking about it for a long time.

Polygon - June
"For loot, because we don't want you looting through your bags like crazy," said Jason Bender, lead designer on console, "we reduced the amount of loot that drops by quantity, so a lot of it converts to gold. But we target it so that it is more likely to be for you. The amount of upgrades you get are about the same as you get on PC, but you're sorting through, in some cases, like 70 percent less loot."

Gamesradar - March
The good loot is easier to find
Blizzard is changing up the loot tables for Diablo 3 on consoles--and that’s good news for you. Rarer items will be easier to come by, and you’ll get less junky gear. Everyone knows managing equipment and navigating menus can be a pain on consoles--and Diablo 3 is an industry-leader in loot distribution, so it’s prone to falling victim to that. Lowering the volume of loot is an attempt to lessen the amount of micromanagement required, and keep you killing demons, not comparing statistics.

Escapist - July
Two of the most important changes are that crafted items will tailor their stats more to the class that has crafted them, and class items will be more likely to drop for the class you are playing. White and blue items will also drop considerably less, vendors are much more likely to sell Rare gear, and Artisan upgrades cost less gold. Drop rates for legendary items also seem to be substantially increased; the 5-6 fansite attendees at Blizzard HQ managed to find a total of 3-4 items Legendary items on Act 1 Nightmare in one hour.

I don't have a horse in this race so nobody jump all over me, hahaha, but I did want to contribute what I remember reading.

Full disclosure, I never actually read the second and third articles before but it was the best I could do with a quick google. I never had reason to save or remember all the places I remember hearing that, hahaha.

Svafnir

These reviews are ridiculous - you can't just take away the AH, give better drops, and add local co-op and suddenly the game is a 9/10.

What about the fact that you're basically looking for only 1 (if SC) or 2 (if HC) stats on every piece of loot?
What about the ridiculousness of a mage being more powerful with a two-handed axe than with a staff?
What about the fact that there aren't really that many unique builds - most skills suck no matter what?

Then you would not have liked Diablo 2. In the future, stay away from the series. Diablo 2 had all those problems but in a way way way bigger way. Class balance was stupid and the end game was all the same items and skills.

However, the expansion is solving a lot of those problems. Especially the replayability one, but as it stands. Diablo 3 has more to do than Diablo 2. This genre is really not for you.

Rezbit

It's the same game engine and gameplay, can't see how that's made the game that much better. Definitely not different enough for me to double-dip on a game that was pretty disappointing.

Dahbomb

I guess those changes are fine although it seems like they just decreased the overall amount of loot dropping (most likely so you don't have to manage it all when playing on a console).

Seems like the sort of thing you will have to play it for hundreds of hours to get a good feel for it.

What about the fact that some people replay a class for the fun of it, or to have different characters to play with different groups?
What about the fact that the complaints about looking for 1 or 2 stats only really apply to min/maxing the end-game that most players won't even reach?
What about those who disagree with the notion that "most skills suck no matter what"?
And these graphics at 60fps with all that action on the screen is damn nice, especially for this style of game. Show me a similar game on the consoles that comes anywhere close, much less at 60fps.

The game isn't perfect, and its not Diablo 2, but its actually a great time for those who don't seek to live in it or treat it as a second job. As a game, for all but the very hardest of the hardcore its still good fun and a breath of fresh air for console gamers.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I never really got out of the mindset of the Diablo games being real-time rogue-likes, so my favorite way to play Diablo 2 was always single player, hardcore, no grinding. Just start a character and play until you either get bored or die.

It sounds like the console version of Diablo 3 is going to be a lot better suited to that style, so I might actually double-dip.

Saganator

Not many GAF'ers play Hardcore mode, I take it? Hardcore mode is where the real replay value of Diablo is. Now that the game can be played offline with a constant 60fps, I figured the HC players would be all over this release.

jadedm17

Yeah? go ask anyone who gained Paragon 100 and see if they "enjoyed it"

All these comments show me just how little any of you played

That kinda ruins the point of gaming as a hobby doesn't it?
Might as well clean your house or volunteer at a soup kitchen if you're just gonna be miserable anyways.

The point they're making is why care to be awesome in a game you think isnt?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So based on reviews, it looks like the consoles provide a different experience?

Wonder if the expansion will be DLC or a stand alone expansion.

Likely both. Can't imagine at least on PS3/4 it being disc only, especially considering it is digital download on PS3 this Tues, and for sure on PS4 whenever that comes.

Dahbomb

Not many GAF'ers play Hardcore mode, I take it? Hardcore mode is where the real replay value of Diablo is. Now that the game can be played offline with a constant 60fps, I figured the HC players would be all over this release.
Not many people play hardcore mode period. That said there are a few hardcore players on GAF and still playing. I do agree that the game is more wholesome in Hardcore mode.

I didn't touch HC in D3 because of lag issues of course. I have that happened to me in SC enough times that I don't want to deal with it. I might do it in the expansion since Paragon levels stay even if you die in HC..

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Has anyone actually played the game yet?

While I'm not picking up the PS3 or 360 version I am fascinated by the claim of 60 fps. It's not that Diablo 3 is a stunning looking game or anything, but that's still kind of a feat if true.

I enjoyed it on the PC but, man, I'm so disappointed they never patched in gamepad support.

weevles

My buddies refuse to buy until the GOTY edition comes out, so I'm stuck waiting if and when that happens.

Same shit with BL2, but even though that's definitely coming out, they won't buy it until that drops in price. Sigh...the perils of trying to get multiplayer games with your friends...

Anustart

My buddies refuse to buy until the GOTY edition comes out, so I'm stuck waiting if and when that happens.

Same shit with BL2, but even though that's definitely coming out, they won't buy it until that drops in price. Sigh...the perils of trying to get multiplayer games with your friends...

What would a GOTY edition include? It's not like there's dlc for it.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Unfortunately, paying full price for a poorly received 2012 game isn't on my to do list this month. Of course, I still consider Diablo III the worst ARPG I've ever played, so they haven't exactly lost a sale here. The console version is shaping up to be the "definitive" version though, with the no AH and Offline play, so if the Expansion Pack(s) fix the God awful train wreck of a story, they may get my money yet.

Saw this from Eurogamer's review of the console version. That is definitely loot 2.0. Between legendaries dropping at all levels, no AH, and no forced online for lag/stutter, I can see why console version is getting good reviews.

T4rEid0.jpg

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Oh lord, legendaries with variable levels means that somewhere out there someone is going to have an item level 63 Genzaniku.

dan2026

People playing for 200+ hours and then calling the game terrible is incredibly hilarious!

Oh D3 why are you so bad?
'I can't stop playing you!'
'This is the last straw D3, I'm done!'
'Must just level up my Monk a couple more levels'.

So tsundere.

Lord Phol

Loot 2.0 is not the second coming, and it's not going to fix the PC's broken loot system. Improve it, yes, but it will still be inherently AH-centric, and the majority of drops will still be worthless to your playing class.

So before everyone jumps to the conclusion that absolutely nothing has changed, Blizzard was lying, and the game still has a broken loot system, let's wait until folks here on GAF have actually played it and can give us some hands-on info.

I trust these reviews as much as I trust the ones for the PC version. There's no guarantee that they would mention something like that in the review text. From reading different on-hands reactions and official blizzard statements/pr there's seems like changes has been made to the loot system, but there's no mention of 2.0. I do hope they patch it in later on though.

foxdvd

Oh lord, legendaries with variable levels means that somewhere out there someone is going to have an item level 63 Genzaniku.

I get excited thinking about a level 63 Buriza-Do Kyanon....on my DH using Rapid Fire (Fire Support).. Up to 80% piercing chance with freeze on a skill that adds up to over 700% weapon damage would be amazing...

People playing for 200+ hours and then calling the game terrible is incredibly hilarious!

Oh D3 why are you so bad?
'I can't stop playing you!'
'This is the last straw D3, I'm done!'
'Must just level up my Monk a couple more levels'.

So tsundere.
It can be a fun game, but it's a loot game with terrible loot.

I can understand people who played it to get to the end game, only to find out the loot and item mechanics sucked; I can sympathise being upset with that.

I can still go back to the game and have fun killing stuff, but there's no reason to play for any length of time as the loot sucks.

So yeah, it's an alright action game but terrible loot game. Very disappointing considering the franchise pedigree.

Karak

My review Linky

Short summary - Flawed but addictiveness is still strong with this one and the co-op modes makes it a buy.

smr00

Banned
Finally a game nobody can deny is superior on consoles compared to the PC version
The only people who denied this and will deny this are people who are blinded because they are stuck up blizzards ass.

This was superior version since the announcement of the dodge/roll and no AH and with loot 2.0. It's what Diablo 3 should of been at launch.

Dahbomb

I am kinda surprised Blizzard didn't make a big deal about all levels Legendary dropping and scaling with your level. That's a substantially big change to the loot system. No one even knew about this until people went hands on.

Jack_AG

Banned
My review Linky

Short summary - Flawed but addictiveness is still strong with this one and the co-op modes makes it a buy.
I rather enjoyed your vernacular but your asides can get a bit repetitive. Reduce by about 75% and you're golden. Also, speak slower, yo. Its not a race. If you need to crunch for time - speak slower for clarity and use Logic or Ableton Live to warp audio/time stretch without changing pitch so you can keep pronunciation clarity while speeding up audio.

Just my .02

Karak

I rather enjoyed your vernacular but your asides can get a bit repetitive. Reduce by about 75% and you're golden. Also, speak slower, yo. Its not a race. If you need to crunch for time - speak slower for clarity and use Logic or Ableton Live to warp audio/time stretch without changing pitch so you can keep pronunciation clarity while speeding up audio.

Just my .02

Its funny. I was just answering this is the other thread. For some reason that speedy rushed delivery seems to get the highest praise AND the most comments against it. I am still trying to figure it out. I will look into the stretch. I will definitely look into the asides too. The weird thing is, is that is how I talk all day long so its hard:)
Man, I ran out of breath just listening to your review...

Nice job.
Thanks!

Jack_AG

Banned
Its funny. I was just answering this is the other thread. For some reason that speedy rushed delivery seems to get the highest praise AND the most comments against it. I am still trying to figure it out. I will look into the stretch. I will definitely look into the asides too. The weird thing is, is that is how I talk all day long so its hard:)

Thanks!
I hear ya. Its just I hear these asides from every review, it seems. Your review is great tho so don't think I didn't like it. Speed is fine - just don't sacrifice clarity. I talk fast and everyone always points it out to me so I tend to over analyze since its forefront in my mind ha!

Karak

I hear ya. Its just I hear these asides from every review, it seems. Your review is great tho so don't think I didn't like it. Speed is fine - just don't sacrifice clarity. I talk fast and everyone always points it out to me so I tend to over analyze since its forefront in my mind ha!

NO its awesome because I hadn't thought of the timestretch so I totally appreciate it! It helps alot. I am checking it out now actually.

Won

I am kinda surprised Blizzard didn't make a big deal about all levels Legendary dropping and scaling with your level. That's a substantially big change to the loot system. No one even knew about this until people went hands on.

Why would they? While it could make more people to buy the game twice, they ultimately target an audience that doesn't already own the PC version. This isn't an update for the PC version, hence no "loot 2.0" talk either.

On top of that, there is a good chance for a console vs PC PR disaster happening with this release. So better be quiet about things that could be in the PC version by now.

Top Bottom