• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Pre-Reaper of Souls Loot 2.0 Patch Live

Kadin

I'm in the RoS beta right now. Will this update tomorrow include the change to where just about all the Legendaries are BoA? I think I've seen some that aren't but every single one I have is. Or is that expansion only?

Wallach

I'll probably check it out to see if my Witch Doctor got more or less awesome. WD is so much cooler than everything else in that game, they better not have fucked him up in RoS.

Narag

Haven't played since launch, hoping this is a fresh experience as I'd initially bought D3 when I did in the hopes it'd be the same sort of evergreen game I could play over the years like I do other Blizzard fare.

It's just a patch for a game. No need to "confirm" anything.
The lead producer Mayberry and BlizzPro on Twitter just tweeted it. No more confirmation needed in my opinion.

Just odd is all I'm saying, normally we have information on mmo-champion/diablofans about this type of stuff.

IMACOMPUTA

Can somebody explain or point me to an explaination of loot 2.0? Also if someone can fill me in on what they fixed post launch that'd be great.
I'm one of the people that played the game a gross amount at launch and then never touched it again. I'd love to get back to it if the changes are compelling.

FiraB

Banned
I'll probably check it out to see if my Witch Doctor got more or less awesome. WD is so much cooler than everything else in that game, they better not have fucked him up in RoS.
He gets better, don't worry.
Tested crusader, wizard, witch doctor, monk and demon hunter.

Monk got the shortest end of the stick all up but it's still a godly class with speed/regen builds.

Can somebody explain or point me to an explaination of loot 2.0? Also if someone can fill me in on what they fixed post launch that'd be great.
I'm one of the people that played the game a gross amount at launch and then never touched it again. I'd love to get back to it if the changes are compelling.

An oversimplified summary:

Less loot overall, but the loot will be much better.

TheYanger

Loot 2.0 works in concert with the AH removal to basically make you more likely to get loot that is actually good for you. Anything you craft uses this, and something like 5% of all other drops use it, such that it CANNOT have stats that aren't useful for you (There are still stats you might not like as much, but it's amazing how much less likely a bad item is when it can't have STR INT DEX VIT GOLD PICKUP RADIUS as all of its mods).

As far as post launch, Presumably you already had seen nephalem valor, that's going away in 2.0 but it was a post launch thing. PAragon levels were added a while ago, kind of a grindy additional levelling mechanism for post max level fun, gives you bonus stats when you get one including magic find and gold find, in RoS that is changing so that it raises infinitely and gives you more meaningful upgrades in the form of runspeed, reduced resource costs, crit, etc. It's VERY similar to badass ranks in borderlands 2 if you've played that.

They added monster power difficulties, and reduced inferno in general greatly. Mobs at appropriate difficulties don't tend to one shot you like they used to, and build diversity is much more lax than launch D3 (Barbs don't go tanky anymore for instance typically). In general it's more fun like Diablo should be, less punishing in stupid ways. they reworked legendaries, added tons more, just generally made 'fun' items. Added uber bosses which you fight by farming keys, kind of like the uber tristram stuff in D2, and those give you mats to make a really nice XP gain ring for alts or mains.

The xpac itself is adding a lot of other stuff, but this is just basic things that were added post launch.

Holy shit this is amazing news. Thought people were joking on Twitter. Leveling up a Wizard for RoS. Got so tired of PoE--can't wait to jump back into Diablo.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Fool me once...
Not buying the expansion or downloading the game to test anything out.

Their patching method is shit. Taking forever to fix gamebreaking crap.

I'm almost certain I'll have an issue with the loot still that they could have spent that past 6 months stalling on.

Enthus

As someone who quit this game shortly after my second campaign playthrough, is there anything I should be doing before RoS launches? I have the CE preordered but am really out of touch with this game.

Was it ever confirmed that they are adding ladders? I don't want to play and then find there's a ladder starting when the expansion comes out

IMACOMPUTA

Loot 2.0 works in concert with the AH removal to basically make you more likely to get loot that is actually good for you. Anything you craft uses this, and something like 5% of all other drops use it, such that it CANNOT have stats that aren't useful for you (There are still stats you might not like as much, but it's amazing how much less likely a bad item is when it can't have STR INT DEX VIT GOLD PICKUP RADIUS as all of its mods).

As far as post launch, Presumably you already had seen nephalem valor, that's going away in 2.0 but it was a post launch thing. PAragon levels were added a while ago, kind of a grindy additional levelling mechanism for post max level fun, gives you bonus stats when you get one including magic find and gold find, in RoS that is changing so that it raises infinitely and gives you more meaningful upgrades in the form of runspeed, reduced resource costs, crit, etc. It's VERY similar to badass ranks in borderlands 2 if you've played that.

They added monster power difficulties, and reduced inferno in general greatly. Mobs at appropriate difficulties don't tend to one shot you like they used to, and build diversity is much more lax than launch D3 (Barbs don't go tanky anymore for instance typically). In general it's more fun like Diablo should be, less punishing in stupid ways. they reworked legendaries, added tons more, just generally made 'fun' items. Added uber bosses which you fight by farming keys, kind of like the uber tristram stuff in D2, and those give you mats to make a really nice XP gain ring for alts or mains.

The xpac itself is adding a lot of other stuff, but this is just basic things that were added post launch.

Thanks man, I really appreciate it.

Valnen

Fool me once...
Not buying the expansion or downloading the game to test anything out.

Their patching method is shit. Taking forever to fix gamebreaking crap.

I'm almost certain I'll have an issue with the loot still that they could have spent that past 6 months stalling on.
Your loss.

As someone who quit this game shortly after my second campaign playthrough, is there anything I should be doing before RoS launches? I have the CE preordered but am really out of touch with this game.

Not especially. Other people will say differently, but you'll be replacing your gear so fast, getting better gems fast, etc. etc. Gold will be handy, of course--but aside from that, nothing else to do except get a few classes to 60 (unless you wanna start fresh in RoS). Most of the current vanilla crafting material will be useless after 60, so it's pretty much just a "try out loot 2.0" and get rockin.

Personally, I plan on playing Wizard in RoS (or go back to my beloved WD which is such a cool ass class) so I was waiting for 2.0 to go live before leveling a Wizard (he's level 2) to 60. This is excellent news so I'll have even more time learning him before RoS.

And, Wings announced today = win city.

Bring it. I can't believe that after 215 hours I still want to play more. Best playing ARPG ever.

Path of Exile is super near and dear to my heart--love that game to death...but there was always something about D3. I've put in 1k hours in each of those (quit D3 over a year+ ago) but there always felt like something missing in PoE compared to D3. Combat wasn't nearly exciting/flashy, but it had much better loot. Now D3/RoS has cleaned all that up.

The PTR was up for everyone for awhile, even without the expansion patch 2.0 is pretty fun. I'll be playing this tomorrow.

I did download the PTR to see what all of the fuss was about, and it was a huge improvement. I'll be playing this tomorrow too.

xenist

Path of Exile is super near and dear to my heart--love that game to death...but there was always something about D3. I've put in 1k hours in each of those (quit D3 over a year+ ago) but there always felt like something missing in PoE compared to D3. Combat wasn't nearly exciting/flashy, but it had much better loot. Now D3/RoS has cleaned all that up.

I've been playing PoE since early closed beta. Easily upwards of 150 hours probably closer to 200. I must have lost about a dozen characters on wipes. It's a great game. A game I suggest to everyone who will hear me. But in terms of network performance and moment to moment gameplay it's slow and uncoordinated compared to D3.

Cincaid

Man oh man, I can't wait! I guess us in EU will get it on Wednesday then?

Cincaid#2158 if anyone wants to be my special Battle.net friend. :3

Wait, me a bit confuzzled. The auction house doesn't get destroyed till reaper of souls, yet they're implementing loot 2.0 already? I thought the point was that the two were mutually exclusive.

The Cowboy

I really should buy a wireless mouse for my sofa to get back into this, I was really hoping they'd port over the pad controls so I could play it on my TV, but alas it wasn't meant to be.

TheYanger

Wait, me a bit confuzzled. The auction house doesn't get destroyed till reaper of souls, yet they're implementing loot 2.0 already? I thought the point was that the two were mutually exclusive.

Nah they'er removing the aH because it's caused them nothing but CS problems and ill will from fans, they need loot 2.0 to remove the ah, but they don't NEED to remove the AH for loot 2.0 to be a positive change. Expect the aH to be really stupid in several ways over the next few weeks, but you can safely ignore it now.

Otnopolit

With Bind on Account Legendaries, it isn't as big a deal as it seems at first glance.

Okay, cool thanks guys. I've been playing a bit lately after getting tired of PoE...even the current game has improved quite a bit since launch. Actually looking forward to this. And yes, Blizzard really does have us by the balls...I hate them but they keep taking my money.

red731

Something is reaching to me to suck me in again.
Will give it a shot after a pretty long time of not playng D3.

Dahbomb

Someone should make a comprehensive post detailing the changes the game has gone through since vanilla D3 launch to RoS as I know a lot of people would be interested in it.

I would probably end up doing it myself. The list of changes is fairly big.

Skunkers

Three major changes afaik:

One, as someone else said, fewer drops but better drops. Not every monster drops something, but when stuff drops, it's generally much better than it was before. I jumped on the PTR when it opened up and noticed immediately, gear upgrades come rapid fire compared to before. A *lot* of rares drop compared to before, I quickly found myself picking up more yellows than blues. Better rares and legendaries.

Second, "smart" drops. Kinda rolled into the above, but I believe they said somewhere around 70-80% of the drops you get will have usable stats for your class; i.e. if you're playing a Wizard you won't be constantly seeing +STR affix items all the time, it will be tailored to you. That doesn't mean it will be an upgrade, an item might drop that has less INT/stats than what you have equipped; but it at least usually will have the proper affixes for your class, which means the chanes are higher it will be upgrade.

Third, not sure if it's in this patch or after RoS drops, but they are adding a "Legendary" drop timer behind the curtains of the game. You won't be able to see it or tell how long it is, but basically, if you go for a certain amount of time/leveling without getting a Legendary, the game will slowly start increasing the Legendary drop rate until you do get one (at which point it will reset back to normal). This is to prevent "dry spells" where you are just unlucky with the RNG and go forever without seeing any Legendaries drop. They are making it so you'll be pretty much guaranteed a Legendary drop every so often.

There are other bits and bobs, they are trimming the number of crafting materials so you don't have so many gunking up your bags, etc.

Just playing on the PTR, I can say it's a HUGE upgrade compared to before, especially while leveling up. Some of the guys playing end game have said it could still be improved, but I think overall it's a really good thing thus far.

Nokterian

Hmm the tweet is deleted but i find it weird if it goes live tommorow since the auction house is closing on march 14th. I think it will come around that date.

Beepos

So from what I understand they are removing Nightmare, Hell and Inferno and having scaled enemies with USER CHOSEN difficulties that add a greater MF bonus correct?

Not sure even with all the improvements I like this idea if there is no end game challenge or arena PVP. What is the point of getting better loot to become stronger? Simply to grind over and over getting stronger and stronger to find better gear?

With D2 and to an extent current D3, getting better gear was a goal and requirement to finish the hardest difficulties (Hell and Inferno respectively) as a sense of accomplishment. D2 was even better in this regard as you needed to be high level/geared up to finish Baal in Hell and then you also had larger unstructured PvP and the allure of trying different skill builds.

So now I choose how hard I want the game to be to get loot for what? To see how fast I can kill stuff to find more loot? Four player PvP brawls just won't cut it for me, and with the challenge of getting strong enough to clear an Act V Inferno gone, I don't see much of a point unless you enjoy just getting stronger and watching mobs explode for the sake of it.

Please tell me I'm missing something here...

Top Bottom