• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Pre-Reaper of Souls Loot 2.0 Patch Live

Dahbomb

So from what I understand they are removing Nightmare, Hell and Inferno and having scaled enemies with USER CHOSEN difficulties that add a greater MF bonus correct?

Not sure even with all the improvements I like this idea if there is no end game challenge or arena PVP. What is the point of getting better loot to become stronger? Simply to grind over and over getting stronger and stronger to find better gear?

With D2 and to an extent current D3, getting better gear was a goal and requirement to finish the hardest difficulties (Hell and Inferno respectively) as a sense of accomplishment. D2 was even better in this regard as you needed to be high level/geared up to finish Baal in Hell and then you also had larger unstructured PvP and the allure of trying different skill builds.

So now I choose how hard I want the game to be to get loot for what? To see how fast I can kill stuff to find more loot? Four player PvP brawls just won't cut it for me, and with the challenge of getting strong enough to clear an Act V Inferno gone, I don't see much of a point unless you enjoy just getting stronger and watching mobs explode for the sake of it.

Please tell me I'm missing something here...

End game in D3 is:

*Being able to farm Torment 6 (takes a really long time now to get to that level, a lot of changes were made to game breaking skills/Legendaries).

*Being able to defeat Ubers in Torment 6.

*There is still a basic PvP.

*Ladders should be added soon after launch which is really where the real end game will be.

Also you guys are missing the whole point of them removing Hell/Inferno.... they are just replaced by a different difficulty setting. The highest difficulty setting now is Torment 6 which was MP10 Inferno in D3. You need godlike gear to effectively farm that difficulty.

Thoraxes

I'm just glad I can still sell this new stuff on the RMAH if not only for a little while.

Then i'll have to take my wares to Chinese gold-farming sites.

Robin64

Love the people that tried this at launch and now think it can never be fixed. It's been in a good state for a while, this just makes it even better.

Really looking forward to this patch. I'll probably start a new character, I was never completely happy with my wiz. Got my eye on a barb now and this is the perfect time. Plus the barb will get some stats from the Paragon 2.0 system, courtesy of my wiz, so that's fun!

Teknoman

I still really want to wait on Crusader, and just start the game fresh. Too bad they arent redoing/rearranging the standard soundtrack as well.

I guess I can live since Reaper of Souls soundtrack seems like an improvement...nothing close to 1 and 2 yet though.

Cool, almost 2 years after release I can finally finish this game! ;)

lol you arent the only one. D3 just really rubbed me the wrong way.

TheYanger

So from what I understand they are removing Nightmare, Hell and Inferno and having scaled enemies with USER CHOSEN difficulties that add a greater MF bonus correct?

Not sure even with all the improvements I like this idea if there is no end game challenge or arena PVP. What is the point of getting better loot to become stronger? Simply to grind over and over getting stronger and stronger to find better gear?

With D2 and to an extent current D3, getting better gear was a goal and requirement to finish the hardest difficulties (Hell and Inferno respectively) as a sense of accomplishment. D2 was even better in this regard as you needed to be high level/geared up to finish Baal in Hell and then you also had larger unstructured PvP and the allure of trying different skill builds.

So now I choose how hard I want the game to be to get loot for what? To see how fast I can kill stuff to find more loot? Four player PvP brawls just won't cut it for me, and with the challenge of getting strong enough to clear an Act V Inferno gone, I don't see much of a point unless you enjoy just getting stronger and watching mobs explode for the sake of it.

Please tell me I'm missing something here...

I'm not sure what you're thinking D2 had that D3 doesn't in this regard, or PoE or any other loot game. These are gmes where you get loot for the sake of farming harder things for the sake of getting more loot, often for the sake of doing pointless pvp (just as it was pointless in D2, it is pointless in D3) or for fun on alts or what have you. They're changing the difficulty structure such that essentially you're picking your MP as the old system went, and you don't NEED inferno/nightmare/hell/normal anymore because actual mob level scales with your character.

desverger

This is good news. I've actually played some D3 lately again, but having a chance at some decent, not totally shit loot before the expansion sounds like a very good bonus.

Now if I could only kill the ubers.. Stupid Siegebreaker/Kulle combo :(

This is actually getting patched to Live and not just on the PTR? How come there aren't any news on the main site regarding this?

SirNinja

This is actually getting patched to Live and not just on the PTR? How come there aren't any news on the main site regarding this?

There will be tomorrow. The patch's sudden release was supposed to be a little surprise. They only hinted at it in this post, which left the patch's release window open. Then that tweet came along...

Love the people that tried this at launch and now think it can never be fixed. It's been in a good state for a while, this just makes it even better.

Exactly this. People have completely forgotten how bad Diablo II was at launch; it was the patches, and especially the expansion, that made it the game it is today.

Will this also update the existing skills, or just loot?

The existing skills have been balanced quite a bit. Quite a few of the lesser-used ones are much more powerful now.

Robin64

This has been on the PTR for a fair while now, and the PTR phase actually ended yesterday. Though I wasn't expecting it to hit Live the same week. Good times!

Nymerio

There will be tomorrow. The patch's sudden release was supposed to be a little surprise. They only hinted at it in this post, which left the patch's release window open. Then that tweet came along...

Exactly this. People have completely forgotten how bad Diablo II was at launch; it was the patches, and especially the expansion, that made it the game it is today.

The existing skills have been balanced quite a bit. Quite a few of the lesser-used ones are much more powerful now.

Good to hear, I'll be there day one. I've been having the itch for some time now, can't wait to get back into it.

Svafnir

Will this also update the existing skills, or just loot?

Yes, pretty much every skill is changed. Also in terms of loot you can check out some of the new legendary items below. Blizzard has yet to update the game guide on the official website, but I have added a ton of the new legendary items to my website.

Item Database

Some kinda fun items:

Shi Mizu's Haori - If you are below 25% health, all attacks are guarnteed critical hits.
Thunderfury (Yup that sword from WoW)
Unity - Splits damage between all people wearing this ring.

They have also added a ton of fun items based on other properties. For example Halcyon's Ascent is an amulet that makes all monsters jump uncontrollably for 6-8 seconds. For all those deadmau5 fans.

Any House Stark/Game of Thrones fans? If so, Defender of Westmarch, is the shield for you!

Qassim

I've been playing a bit of the 2.0 patch in PTR and it has improved the game *massively*. I'm super excited to get into it again.

Robin64

It's pretty safe to consider this patch the expansion, minus the stuff you actually get with the expansion.

So you won't get:

Crusader class
Level 70 cap
Act V
Adventure Mode

But you will get:

Loot 2.0
Paragon 2.0
Skill and balance changes
Difficulty changes
Cursed chests

Naeblish

Yeah, but what is the point in finding lvl 60 loot, if it all will be obsolete in less then a month. And i ain't gonna start a new char without adventure mode, no way in hell i'm gonna replay one of the worst campaigns i have ever played. I think ill just wait till march 25.

V_Arnold

Yeah, but what is the point in finding lvl 60 loot, if it all will be obsolete in less then a month.

You can have fun while playing, and you will keep on getting paragon levels which will remain useful (and will be increasingly more useful with the paragon 2.0)

Robin64

Yeah, but what is the point in finding lvl 60 loot, if it all will be obsolete in less then a month.

Weeeeell, while that's a pretty good point, do remember that most legendaries are BoA and with Paragon 2.0, having alts is a pretty yummy idea.

Personally I'll be using the time to level a new guy up rather than farming current endgame.

Beepos

I'm not sure what you're thinking D2 had that D3 doesn't in this regard, or PoE or any other loot game. These are gmes where you get loot for the sake of farming harder things for the sake of getting more loot, often for the sake of doing pointless pvp (just as it was pointless in D2, it is pointless in D3) or for fun on alts or what have you. They're changing the difficulty structure such that essentially you're picking your MP as the old system went, and you don't NEED inferno/nightmare/hell/normal anymore because actual mob level scales with your character.

Well for one thing D3 doesnt have skill/class builds (rather skill setups IMO) like D2 or PoE so it certainly is different. Seeing if a build could survive end game was a challenging goal I enjoyed and being able to swap things around in a flash, while convenient, certainly feels like get more loot for the purposes of better loot. But I guess surviving the scale and what Dahbomb mentioned will fulfill my needs for now.

Naeblish

Really glad they changed the difficulty's though, something about monster power just didn't do it for me. It's like, here are the exact same enemies, only now they have 150% health and damage. Expert and Torment make me wanna beat those difficulties. I know it's the same thing, but it's this weird psychological thing.

Ploid 3.0

I shall give it a shot. I want good worth while loot for my hours of farming. Make me excited to see something nice drop after marathons like I was excited to win a auction house bid war and I'll be hooked. I would do marathons with no hope of anything but gold and paragon before.

MaLDo

I only need 2 things to buy this game

- Controller support
- Offline campaign

I guess is not the moment yet.

Nocturno999

It's pretty safe to consider this patch the expansion, minus the stuff you actually get with the expansion.

So you won't get:

Crusader class
Level 70 cap
Act V
Adventure Mode

But you will get:

Loot 2.0
Paragon 2.0
Skill and balance changes
Difficulty changes
Cursed chests

Are random dungeons still in the works?
EDIT:NVM they are part of adventure mode.

Robin64

I only need 2 things to buy this game

- Controller support
- Offline campaign

I guess is not the moment yet.

You'll be wanting a PS4, then. They've said the controller system won't come to the PC, as it's not just a different control scheme there's a lot of stuff balanced around it.

Billen

Banned
So, after the original launch Diablo felt tedious, which was somewhat unexpected to put it lightly. I wonder if new loot can make it feel that much better, or if the feeling from the previous experience will stay.

Xanathus

Loot 2.0 isn't really anything special if you're already at 60 and have good gear bought from the auction house. It only benefits new players who haven't reached level 60 and haven't geared up since the new gear rolls won't roll as high as the top-tier stuff that could previously be found.

I sunk about 100 hours in at release and everytime I try to go back it just feels tired and dull.

I want to be excited about the new expansion but I just can't.

Looks like they have fixed the game up nicely so at least new players will get a good game to play.

MaLDo

You'll be wanting a PS4, then. They've said the controller system won't come to the PC, as it's not just a different control scheme there's a lot of stuff balanced around it.

No diablo 3 for me, then :) I don't like DS4 and I need 1800p resolution.

Techies

I just gave away most of my Gear.
I had money for two games, and I chose Strike Vector and Dark Souls 2.

D3 is and always will be a boring grind numbers game.

Kosma

Banned
After spending 60 euro on D3 and being disappointed I will wait another 2/3 years and pick up some xpac bundle for cheap.

40 euro for 1 extra class and 1 act.... LOL

And still no PvP......................

Lumine

Oh wow I had no idea. I literally just bought and started playing this a few days ago. Anyone have any idea what time the patch is supposed to go live today? And if it's today for Europe too or just North America?

Skunkers

RoS will interest me as soon as I can get it for 5 bucks. $40 is a joke.

I know you came hauling ass into the thread to tell us how you can't wait to not buy this game until it's $5, so I'll make this quick; I don't want to hold you up. I just wanted to tell you that Lord Of Destruction, the expansion for Diablo II? The one that came out 13 years ago? That's still $20. So y'know... I guess what I'm saying is... it might be a minute.

Robin64

After spending 60 euro on D3 and being disappointed I will wait another 2/3 years and pick up some xpac bundle for cheap.

40 euro for 1 extra class and 1 act.... LOL

And still no PvP......................

PvP has been in for a while now.

Awesome, been playing the PC version again lately. Been leveling an barb which is level 55 now. Wonder if I will manage to beat hell tonight before the patch lol

Into

As a disgustingly overpowered WW barb abusing sprint, does anyone have any decent builds to use? I barely tried PTR, simply because i cba playing something that does not "count".

Xamdou

Expac only! This is just the loot fixes, where you get better loot, all the class tweaks before RoS, etc.

Also this:

SWD9KSUNNOX51393030664880.jpg

Oh my god Golden wings for buying the game before March 30!? My white/Blue Angel wings will no longer be rare :(

Kadin

I know you came hauling ass into the thread to tell us how you can't wait to not buy this game until it's $5, so I'll make this quick; I don't want to hold you up. I just wanted to tell you that Lord Of Destruction, the expansion for Diablo II? The one that came out 13 years ago? That's still $20. So y'know... I guess what I'm saying is... it might be a minute.
This might be my 'response of the day' and this day has only started. I was thinking the same thing when I read that but I wouldn't have been able to so perfectly articulate it like you did.

On topic, I've been really happy with the new loot on the PTR. I'm not happy with a lot of the BoA changes but I mostly play on my own anyhow and if that means I'll get better drops for my character I'm playing, so be it. I'll be jumping on this as soon as it updates.

Sanctuary

I put in much more than that and I think I'm drained too. Sorry Neoism!

I quit the first game after around 500 hours after launch, then actually bought the console version and had a lot of fun with that. I'm not sure I care enough about just one class though to buy it for the third time, especially after playing it with the (somewhat) superior console controls.

Loot 2.0 isn't really anything special if you're already at 60 and have good gear bought from the auction house. It only benefits new players who haven't reached level 60 and haven't geared up since the new gear rolls won't roll as high as the top-tier stuff that could previously be found.

Eh, they said that they were adding in gear that had effects that changed the way you played. I'd call that special over what was in the game until now if it's true.

Tc91

Oh wow I had no idea. I literally just bought and started playing this a few days ago. Anyone have any idea what time the patch is supposed to go live today? And if it's today for Europe too or just North America?

Patch will go live today in US in around 8 or so hours.

EU is tomorrow (maintenance tonight at 2-3am) and will come up at around 12-1pm.

Terra

Diablo 3 was a failure (not sales wise) of epic proportions. Anything else is living in denial.

They ripped off so many people for a bad product. I was so disappointed.

However. Even if I won't be able to change my friends views (they will not ever touch another Blizzard product). I believe that things can be turned around. And I hope for another expansion after RoS.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I can see many folks haven't been keeping up with the news. I've been playing on PTR and beta. Loot 2.0 is a disaster. For starters, they implemented a stupid 4/2 system whereby an item can roll at most 4 primary and 2 secondary affixes. A primary affix is any affix you'd actually want (damage, defense, healing) and a secondary affix is stuff that is "nice to have" (pickup radius, MF, GF). You used to be able to find items with 6 primary affixes on them. Also they nerfed attack speed again. There are other issues but I really don't feel like listing them all here. Folks thinking they will be replacing all their gear with this patch are in for a rude awakening.

Top Bottom