• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 UEE shipping w/ patch 2.05, Blizzard unsure if they will ever patch it again

Fularu

Banned
Offline play and Seasons/Greater rifts don't work together.

There's 0 points in adding 2.1 to the console versions. That doesn't mean console versions won't get the Hellfire Amulet, the balance changes and the new Greed boss room down the road though.

This is probably why they're unsure about how they'll treat post launch support.

Mrbob

Blizzard did not say they weren't going to update the game, so I don't understand the lashing out at them. Seems the console update process still isn't that smooth otherwise these updates would be rolled out. I'd blame Sony and MS. Tweet yosh lol.

Atleast they're being honest, but why even buy this game on a console?

Several reasons actually.....

Controller support
tried the game on a friends Mac & it was to fast/difficult
Comfy couch gaming on a 70 inch screen
gonna get flamed for this one
Couch Co-Op with family/friends
co-op on the same screen is the only reason i want to play this
No Battlenet needed to play
"The Last of Us" monsters included

gonna be a lot of fun on day one, dont even care about updates.

Konomori

Neo Member
Maybe the last gen versions will not get larger Updates because Patches cost money for the developer there.
On PS4 and XBone its free to Patch games so there would be no real reason why they should not get the same content updates like the PC version.

danthefan

Seriously. I was tempted to buy this since I still haven't played Reaper of Souls on PC. But, why the fuck wouldn't you support a version of your game?

I would guess that they can just push updates to the PC version whenever they like but there's a lot more hassle involved with doing it through PSN/with Sony.

Savitar

Strange, in the old days I would say it's because the platforms would want to charge a fee which kept some games from getting updated in the old days.

But that's no longer the issue is it.

Mrbob

Can't agree, especially when other games are updated all the time.

To be fair, it's much different for blizzard to update through Battle.net than it is on consoles. They can pump out an update whenever they want on PC right away. On consoles they need to plan ahead on what to update since it has to go through certification. I can see a scenario where Blizzard updates the console versions less frequent, bigger updates by packing multiple PC updates into one console update.

It's a complete game in and of itself. Post launch support with free significant updates and balance changes is mostly a PC thing.

This is the kind of bullshit mentality that pretty much fazed out free DLC in the 360/PS3 generation. Why does it HAVE to be PC only? These consoles have evolved to the point you can do the exact same stuff like this AND you get the added bonus of knowing it'll work for everyone due to unified console specs.

Well shit. Now I'll just wait for a sale I guess, no way I'm gonna day 1 buy a game where they're admitting they don't plan on supporting it.

Remindes me of

14.orangebox.jpg

I don't blame valve though in that regard, especially at the time this game came out and how MS's policies about the updates were. Don't know about the PS3 version though.

Xyrmellon

Was gonna get day 1 (already have it on pc), but if they don't support it, no sale.

If there's another expansion (as planned), wouldn't Blizzard have to do more work to get it up to the current version if they wanted to release said expansion on consoles? Sounds shortsighted unless they are really releasing it and letting it die.

Phamit

They are not even sure, if they patch Bugs post-launch? I thought something like this is taken as granted nowadays

BigDug13

Don't MS and Sony still charge major AAA companies something like $40,000 per patch which they don't have to experience on PC?

Edit - never mind this was answered.

Tybolt

Banned
I'm not sure why anyone feels like a developer needs to be beholden to the player base with a constant stream of updates, especially in the console environment where games GENERALLY tend to be complete packages out of the box when you only pay a single flat rate for a product.

Naturally, support is required when the game has major issues -- although ideally it would never have been shipped in that state (looking at you, day one patches!)

Trust me, I hated how Blizzard dropped the ball with Diablo 3, but unlike WoW, there's no subscription and regardless of this, a complete product was provided that was paid for. Plenty of people were bitching about there being no "endgame" to provide an unlimited amount of play despite the fact that Blizzard was under no obligation to add one and yet they continued to churn out updates and fix the game, more or less as a courtesy to the fans even though they didn't have to.

At this current point, there is more than a complete game being offered, so what's the problem? They can't keep this game on life support for forever.

Fularu

Banned
You guys complaining do realise that the major draw for 2.1 is strictly online right? Something Blizzar can't do on consoles... AKA ladders and Greater Rifts leaderboards.

We'll definitely get the class changes, new items (probably post seasons) and whatever new zone they add. But ladders/seasons and Greater Rifts?

Not happening.

Garbage.
Plenty of people have no interest in PC gaming, and instead will enjoy elsewhere.

And this really sounds like a decision based on coming balance changes vs update speed.

It's fine if you have no interest in PC gaming. The PC version of this game is and will continue to be superior to the console version(s), and that's why there's no reason to buy it unless your (not you, specifically) PC is a toaster. Which is quite a likely scenario if you aren't interested in PC gaming.

Santar

I'm not sure why anyone feels like a developer needs to be beholden to the player base with a constant stream of updates, especially in the console environment where games GENERALLY tend to be complete packages out of the box when you only pay a single flat rate for a product.

Naturally, support is required when the game has major issues -- although ideally it would never have been shipped in that state (looking at you, day one patches!)

Trust me, I hated how Blizzard dropped the ball with Diablo 3, but unlike WoW, there's no subscription and regardless of this, a complete product was provided that was paid for. Plenty of people were bitching about there being no "endgame" to provide an unlimited amount of play despite the fact that Blizzard was under no obligation to add one and yet they continued to churn out updates and fix the game, more or less as a courtesy to the fans even though they didn't have to.

At this current point, there is more than a complete game being offered, so what's the problem? They can't keep this game on life support for forever.

It's a bit different with this game as there is another version (PC) which is getting frequent content updates.
Of course not every game needs a lot of huge content filled patches.

Radec

Aren't console versions are getting more content at launch than the pc version?

Hell the PS4 got TLoU thing.

You guys planning to get this on console are getting a much better value than us at the pc side. lol

ZeroX03

Banned
With no more patch fees I can't really see a good excuse not to support the game.

It's fine if you have no interest in PC gaming. The PC version of this game is and will continue to be superior to the console version(s), and that's why there's no reason to buy it unless your (not you, specifically) PC is a toaster. Which is quite a likely scenario if you aren't interested in PC gaming.

Not really at all. Superior controller experience on console, well integrated couch co-op, streaming to Vita, friends in the PS/MS ecosystem, edit: trophies etc. I've got multiple gaming PC rigs, doesn't mean I don't buy console versions.

quest

Not Banned from OT
It sucks but I figured that there would be little post support for the game. That would be 4 more platforms to support and that is just to much work. I can see after the next expansion being PS4,Xbone only having more patch support for consoles.

I am still getting the game day 1 and very excited to play it. Since I am self found it will last me a very long time. I am still grinding away trying to get paragon levels for the launch. I do hope we see a couple of patches for bug fixes and adding some of the gear changes of 2.10. Greater rifts and ladders won't see them ever on consoles till there is a online mode.

If any of you are still on the PS3 version add me dirtgnap .

funkypie

Banned
Why should I buy them if they won't update it like they will the PC version? definitely not day one for me now.

quest

Not Banned from OT
With no more patch fees I can't really see a good excuse not to support the game.

Not really at all. Superior controller experience on console, well integrated couch co-op, streaming to Vita, friends in the PS/MS ecosystem, etc. I've got multiple gaming PC rigs, doesn't mean I don't buy console versions.

Because it would add 4 more platforms to support. If it was Ps4/Xbone only I could see more post support with only 2 platforms and both being very similar to each other and the PC.

We'll definitely get the class changes, new items (probably post seasons) and whatever new zone they add.

Where are you getting this "definitely" from? In the quote in the OP the person literally says they are questioning "if" they will support it post launch, which is what is insane.

Maybe this is a question for someone who plays PC, but how is the class balance as of patch 2.0.5? Any classes that aren't fun to play at this point? What about end game balance?

ZeroX03

Banned
Because it would add 4 more platforms to support. If it was Ps4/Xbone only I could see more post support with only 2 platforms and both being very similar to each other and the PC.

I was only referring to PS4/XB1 versions, as the topic of discussion is the Ultimate Evil Edition.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Why should I buy them if they won't update it like they will the PC version? definitely not day one for me now.

Local co-op,Controller support which works great in the game, off line mode for those who like that sort of thing. No BOA so you are free to trade away and get a fully geared up character in a couple of weeks post launch if you wish. The nemesis and emailing gear also great and console only.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I was only referring to PS4/XB1 versions, as the topic of discussion is the Ultimate Evil Edition.

But the expansion is coming out on the older systems to. If they support 1 they will be forced into supporting all 4 it is an all or nothing.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Maybe this is a question for someone who plays PC, but how is the class balance as of patch 2.0.5? Any classes that aren't fun to play at this point? What about end game balance?

There is no balance in 2.0.5,2.0.06 or 2.10. The good classes in all 3 are good and the bad classes are still bad. End game balance is basically 1-2 builds for each class with half the classes being much better than the other half.

ZeroX03

Banned
But the expansion is coming out on the older systems to. If they support 1 they will be forced into supporting all 4 it is an all or nothing.

Oh you're right, my mistake.

Wouldn't be surprised if PS3/360 versions had dropped support though. Sure there's an angle for it.

LOL at the mental acrobatics people are using to justify their Diablo console purchases.

Just be satisfied you get the game at all on what are clearly inferior platforms in Blizzard's eyes.

If you can play the game on PC/Mac, do so.

Fularu

Banned
Where are you getting this "definitely" from? In the quote in the OP the person literally says they are questioning "if" they will support it post launch, which is what is insane.

Because as of now, the game is launching with everything the PC version has up to 2.0.6. 2.1 for now is difficult for them to see or say, because the patching process and what goes into it will be radically different from the PC version because of the offline mode, the lower density levels on console versions, the unpractibility of seasons/ladders and leaderboards, etc...

For now (and that's normal) they're focused on shipping the game, post launch patches aren't on the table yet, which is what he's (in cryptic Blizzard language) saying.

BigDug13

If you really want couch co-op Diablo, console is the only way. Otherwise, yes, PC is clearly the best version. But dodge stick and couch co-OP aren't benefits to ignore.

ZeroX03

Banned
No, the PC version objectively controls better. Specs like EQ barb will be way worse on console with the way targeting of mobs is implemented.

The PC version had controller support patched in? Does it support touchpad on a PS4 controller? Didn't think that was possible.

Please note I put 'superior controller experience' and not 'controls superior', so K+M comparison isn't warranted.

MrDaravon

You guys complaining do realise that the major draw for 2.1 is strictly online right? Something Blizzar can't do on consoles... AKA ladders and Greater Rifts leaderboards.

We'll definitely get the class changes, new items (probably post seasons) and whatever new zone they add. But ladders/seasons and Greater Rifts?

Not happening.

This. Hacking was incredibly rampant day one on the console versions. And even if they implemented a separate online-only mode (which would probably require time and costs server-side for Blizzard that they probably aren't interested in doing) I bet that would still be broken within a week on console.

I really feel like this coming out on last-gen consoles really hurts them as well. As well as having to scale for it, they also likely want to avoid a scenario where the PS4/X1 versions get significant upgrades/content that the PS3/360 versions don't because of technical limitations because they know people will scream to high hell about it. I was already pretty unhappy with density and several other things on vanilla D3 on 360, I still don't even know how the expansion is going to realistically turn out on last-gen at all techwise.

There is no balance in 2.0.5,2.0.06 or 2.10. The good classes in all 3 are good and the bad classes are still bad. End game balance is basically 1-2 builds for each class with half the classes being much better than the other half.

Could you elaborate? I'm basically trying to figure out what class to play, or not play as it were?

Top Bottom