• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 UEE shipping w/ patch 2.05, Blizzard unsure if they will ever patch it again

Only for the downsides of pc not for any of the advantages (mods, pricing, openness of the platform, controls, BC etc)
PSN/XBL are still a walled garden, blizzard probably can't update the game whenever they went, they probably don't get full control over the game client like they would on PC

World of tanks, TF2, cs source, l4d etc didn't get any real post launch updates either, why would this be different.
You can get mods on consoles. No idea what you mean about controls.

But they can update what they like, no reason why whatever they change on PC cannot be changed on consoles other than Acti/Blizzard not wanting to put the effort in.

BigDug13

This. Hacking was incredibly rampant day one on the console versions. And even if they implemented a separate online-only mode (which would probably require time and costs server-side for Blizzard that they probably aren't interested in doing) I bet that would still be broken within a week on console.

I really feel like this coming out on last-gen consoles really hurts them as well. As well as having to scale for it, they also likely want to avoid a scenario where the PS4/X1 versions get significant upgrades/content that the PS3/360 versions don't because of technical limitations because they know people will scream to high hell about it. I was already pretty unhappy with density and several other things on vanilla D3 on 360, I still don't even know how the expansion is going to realistically turn out on last-gen at all techwise.

Doesn't Blizzard still run an online ladder system completely separated from the offline and completely hackable mode in Diablo 2? Not sure what would make console Diablo 3's server ladder mode more susceptible to hacking than server ladder mode of Diablo 2.

Could you elaborate? I'm basically trying to figure out what class to play, or not play as it were?

Don't play monk. Its very weak and underpowered. Its only good as assisting in a group.

Play Crusader or Wizard. WD is good too but very gear dependent and the hardest to play/understand/master.

DH is amazing dmg output but very weak. very much a glass canon. They buff it's surviving skills by an insane with 2.1 but hey... maybe console user will never see that.

tl:dr Crusader or Wizard

quest

Not Banned from OT
Could you elaborate? I'm basically trying to figure out what class to play, or not play as it were?

Witch doctor,demon hunters and crusaders are the best classes. Monk has 1 group build the ZDPS build but suck solo. The rest of the classes basically are miles behind in both solo and group play.

Don't play monk. Its very weak and underpowered. Its only good as assisting in a group.

Play Crusader or Wizard. WD is good too but very gear dependent and the hardest to play/understand/master.

DH is amazing dmg output but very weak. very much a glass canon. They buff it's surviving skills by an insane with 2.1 but hey... maybe console user will never see that.

That's sad. Appreciate your response, though.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
play PalmMonk!
No gear required.
.. Party required, though!
(Everyone wants a PalmMonk in their party. Speedruns are considered unfair if a group has one and another doesn't!)

MrDaravon

Doesn't Blizzard still run an online ladder system completely separated from the offline and completely hackable mode in Diablo 2? Not sure what would make console Diablo 3's server ladder mode more susceptible to hacking than server ladder mode of Diablo 2.

Diablo 2 is PC only, not really sure what you're getting at there.

Console Diablo 3 day one people had weapons with impossible stats and 3 sockets. Even if they implemented an online-only mode for console I would guarantee people would find a workaround to still break that or bring in hacked items within days, if that even (vanilla D3 on console was hacked before it even came out).

BigDug13

Console Diablo 3 day one people had weapons with impossible stats and 3 sockets. Even if they implemented an online-only mode for console I would guarantee people would find a workaround to still break that or bring in hacked items within days, if that even (vanilla D3 on console was hacked before it even came out).

I'm getting at the fact that Diablo 2 PC should have been WAY more hackable than any Console version. The offline mode of D2 is hacked to hell and back. But they've plugged up the holes on the server based version. I don't see how they couldn't make a server based D3 game on consoles with plugged up holes from hacking if they're able to do it on PC with D2.

If you're implying that a PC game is MORE difficult to hack than a console game, I respectfully disagree. Especially if what I assume is correct that you needed a PC in order to even accomplish most of those D3 console hacks.

Cipherr

If they don't support the game then why should I buy it?

Some people were of the feeling that controllers and offline play were worth more than up to date content, future patch support and non-hacked multiplayer.

Damn Blizzard treat Console gamers like second rate citizens.

The console versions were always the second rate versions. They come out months and months after the PC folks are playing the content, the expansion is super late, and by the time this drops we will have ladders and class balance the console versions may never see. The online in the console versions has hacked items everywhere and more.

Nothings changed really.

funkypie

Banned
There is no balance in 2.0.5,2.0.06 or 2.10. The good classes in all 3 are good and the bad classes are still bad. End game balance is basically 1-2 builds for each class with half the classes being much better than the other half.

and what classes are these? I sold my pc account one mouth after launch as the game was a joke when it launched.

VariantX

I wouldn't expect every little content patch to show up on consoles but I do expect the major ones. If they can't deliver on that end, then there's no way id spend a full 60 on it personally.

I wouldn't expect every little content patch to show up on consoles but I do expect the major ones. If they can't deliver on that end, then there's no way id spend a full 60 on it personally.

Agreed. This went from a day 1 purchase to a rental for me.

mrpeabody

With the exception of paid dlc and patches for game-breaking bugs, zero support post-launch is the standard for console games. Not sure what world people are living in.

Eusis

I'm not sure why anyone feels like a developer needs to be beholden to the player base with a constant stream of updates, especially in the console environment where games GENERALLY tend to be complete packages out of the box when you only pay a single flat rate for a product.
It does no one good to go "well this is the way things are so there's no reason to change" even though the current environment is ripe for those changes. Not that we should embrace change for changes sake, but when it's a game that gets that sort of support on PC it'd be a great place for that change!

And even if you factored out the "it's only fair if PC gets it too" there's a legitimate business strategy at work there for longer term support and adding new content, in that you increase customer appreciation, can continue to sell the game for a higher price for a longer time, and perhaps have the luxury to take longer on a new game that can also work off a long tail strategy. It's a big reason TF2 has had the player base it's had along with some of the other recent indie hits like Minecraft.

Nymerio

That's sad. Appreciate your response, though.

Just because the monk class doesn't put out the same damage as other classes doesn't mean you shouldn't play it. In fact I find that statement stupid. Most of my play time is on my monk and just because the numbers aren't as big those on my WD didn't make him any less fun to play. I still find the monk to be the most fun to play class in the game. Try out the different classes and play what's the most fun for you.

Just because the monk class doesn't put out the same damage as other classes doesn't mean you shouldn't play it. In fact I find that statement stupid. Most of my play time is on my monk and just because the numbers aren't as big those on my WD didn't make him any less fun to play. I still find the monk to be the most fun to play class in the game. Try out the different classes and play what's the most fun for you.

I do as well. Problem is, I played a monk and a barbarian to 60 on Vanilla D3 on X360 and was hoping to try something new. I guess I'll level a Crusader and a DH this time.

With the exception of paid dlc and patches for game-breaking bugs, zero support post-launch is the standard for console games. Not sure what world people are living in.
Because if everyone had that attitude you'd be naked eating naughty apples off a tree and civilization would not have progressed at all.

Things changing and adapting, that's the world people are living in.

They never said they wouldn't support it if there were serious issues or bugs, so I don't see the problem? I'm sure they wouldn't just leave them there.

Raide

The console versions were always the second rate versions. They come out months and months after the PC folks are playing the content, the expansion is super late, and by the time this drops we will have ladders and class balance the console versions may never see. The online in the console versions has hacked items everywhere and more.

Nothings changed really.

Sounds about right.

I wonder what the PS3 and 360 sales were? Must have been enough to venture forth the next-gen versions I guess?

DCDW

One the one hand, both Sony and MS's policy of charging outrageous prices for releasing patches for games, helps curb games being released unfinished or buggy. At the same time, this obviously hurts companies like Blizzard wanting to support released games with content patches or at least wanting to release them for free.

gruenel

That doesn't make any sense... if there was an online only mode like on PC, why would there be hacked items?

One the one hand, both Sony and MS's policy of charging outrageous prices for releasing patches for games, helps curb games being released unfinished or buggy. At the same time, this obviously hurts companies like Blizzard wanting to support released games with content patches or at least wanting to release them for free.

Neither Sony nor MS charge for patches.

PaulLFC

This shouldn't even be a question for them. If you are expecting people to pay for your product, especially considering the price is likely higher than the PC version, you support it properly.

ZangBa

Thank you for making a topic about this. It didn't seem like anyone really cared in the community threads :(. It's disappointing to see so many people okay with being treated like a second rate customer.

DCDW

That doesn't make any sense... if there was an online only mode like on PC, why would there be hacked items?

Neither Sony nor MS charge for patches.

From the article I've read, they don't charge Indie Developers, which Blizzard clearly doesn't fall into that category.

hmmm, i was planning to double dip on this game but this is really disappointing. i didnt expect a 1:1 patching rate as pc but at least some good updates at the latest in a bimonthly basis

still getting it with the hopes they will do right with their console customer base though and if it is a problem with either console holders then blizzard should point that out for them to feel the pressure (but if its a blizzard thing then i dont see how is that they wish to have a piece of the console market)

Santar

Thank you for making a topic about this. It didn't seem like anyone really cared in the community threads :(. It's disappointing to see so many people okay with being treated like a second rate customer.

No problem :)
Seems people care quite a bit thankfully, we can only hope this causes Blizzard to decide to support it as they should.

Atleast they're being honest, but why even buy this game on a console?

The honesty part I actually kind of like. It's not easy to come out and say stuff that will pretty much universally be interpreted as a negative.

As for buying it on console, I'll be able to play with my friends that don't PC game. That's the major draw for me (and I'm assuming others interested as well)

bengraven

I can guarantee PS3/360 will be ignored in the patching process.

It's also kind fucked that there is no DLC for Reaper, instead I have to repurchase everything to get REaper on PS3.

Navid

We're still working out all the details regarding if and how Ultimate Evil Edition will be supported post-launch (e.g. will we patch the game after it ships? if yes, should we only patch to fix bugs and address critical game issues, or should we patch in new content as well? at what frequency should we patch?), so we don’t have an answer for you right now.

Source Blizzard forums
Well, statement like this sure don't help make me want to purchase the game at launch, that's for sure... Seems like the the all important words that developers so love to use (parity and consistent experience) only applies when they want it to.

Unfortunately this has also been a issue when Valve released titles on consoles in the past, hopefully these companies will make the right decision and provide equal support for their products across all devices this generation.

As for buying it on console, I'll be able to play with my friends that don't PC game. That's the major draw for me (and I'm assuming others interested as well)

This. Since couch co-op is nearly a dead concept, the vanilla D3 on last gen was one of the best co-op games in years.

Haines

Banned
Always assumed console version would get limited so as tempting as coop is I'll just stick with the better PC version

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
This is scummy as fuck.

Blizzard, such a fall from the heavens. Guess that's where they got the inspiration for the story haha.

OneUh8

I'm going to monitor this game closely. I have been debating getting this game. Whether they support it post launch or not could make that decision for me.

gruenel

From the article I've read, they don't charge Indie Developers, which Blizzard clearly doesn't fall into that category.

Hmmm yeah, looks like you're right, sorry!

I found this statement from Boyes:
Our publicised policy is that you have to pay patch fees in order to patch the content but the reality is, especially for independent developers, we don't charge them for that. We have not in the last three years in our territory. It's really important for us to work with them to make sure it's as early as possible for them to get the content out there, especially if it's a fix for a game breaking bug

Sounds like they're only charging on a case-by-case basis even for big devs, though

Nethaniah

Not sure why people are so upset, not like there are many cases of console games being updated constantly with balance changes, this really is a pc thing.

You get the base game and the expansion so all in all still a very complete package.

RoKKeR

Well this is pretty disappointing, and is one of the reasons I'm hesitant about getting this game on consoles.

ZangBa

If the company behind a game like Terraria can manage to give me a free patch with new content doubling what already existed, then there is no excuse for a company like Blizzard with so much money to be so awful about this.

Good move telling everyone before the game is not. I have the game preordered on the PS4 and i really want to play it co-op with my wife but if they wont support it i might aswell get bck into the pc version :(

Navid

Not sure why people are so upset, not like there are many cases of console games being updated constantly with balance changes, this really is a pc thing.
Might have been true in the PS2/Xbox era and earlier on in the PS3/360 period but otherwise online focused console titles are updated on a regular basis (maybe with a slight delay due to cert process) these days where and when needed.

You get the base game and the expansion so all in all still a very complete package.

This. Also TF2 and L4D2 also come to mind as being nearly completely different games from the console version

Nethaniah

Might have been true in the PS2/Xbox era and earlier on in the PS3/360 period but otherwise online focused console titles are updated on a regular basis (maybe with a slight delay due to cert process) these days where and when needed.

Well the added reason for Blizzard having this stance is that the money for them is obviously on pc and not on consoles, they own their own platform.

Sorry but reading people post about the console version being so much better with local coop / controller support / comfy couch and then complain about this? Even though if people are being honest they knew this was going to happen boggles my mind.

The constant updating that you get on pc with this and other games where they are being patched years (some cases a decade) after release was NEVER likely to happen.

Can someone summarize the difference between 2.0.5/6 and 2.1?

I gotta say, if it's gonna be a huge difference, it went from a probably to nevermind.

I might just use my brothers battle.net account and play on my Mac.

zychi

Banned
Blizz, can you patch controller support into the PC version at least? Diablo 3 is so much fun from comfy couch.

Reallink

I take it you never bought a single console game pre last generation

There are certain standards and expectations with ORPG/MMO's, even on consoles. This would be akin to FF11/14, Destiny (if there is/were a PC version), or PSU receiving content updates on PC while consoles get nothing.

Top Bottom