• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 UEE shipping w/ patch 2.05, Blizzard unsure if they will ever patch it again

Jezbollah

Nailed it. I was going to buy it but if they're not truly going to support it then why the hell should I bother? There are plenty of other games coming out this fall that will keep me more then busy.

But what is your definition of support? Is it fixing issues or is it adding additional content?

If it's the latter, then does that oblige other console publishers into producing content for free?

I agree with the general sentiment but a Blizzard thread is the worst possible place to make that point as battle.net is effectively a walled garden.

Not really, we're talking/speculating about Blizzard not being able to/wanting to patch the console versions because of a walled garden THEY don't control. Battle.net is their client that tied into their games much more tightly than XBL/PSN.

WillyFive

Hopefully the console features will one day make it to the PC version. There is no reason there can't be controller and local co-op support for the game.

Cipherr

Don't indies get free updates though?

Indies or not, Blizzard is barely getting out content patches for the PC version in a fast enough manner. Theres just no way they can do the same for consoles too. It was never going to happen. IMO everyone should have known what they bought in to.

Kalnos

Banned
I don't think this would be a issue on PS3 and PS4.

Look at how Square Enix does it with FF14, and also look at how Warframe does it.

Those companies both feel that it's worth their while to tailor their development around the Sony/MS certification process, Blizzard apparently doesn't want to do that.

Blizzard/Valve and other PC oriented companies' have a very specific process that allows them to quickly and easily push out patches whenever they want without having to deal with a 3rd party. The development style of these companies is the real reason why they're conflicted, rather than financial/etc issues.

2.06 and even 2.05 are substantially better updates to start out Diablo 3 with than the base game that released 2 years ago. I understand the concern for future expansions, but I think people need to realize the game will be in a much more refined state than what I and many others have currently on console.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Those companies both feel that it's worth their while to tailor their development around the Sony/MS certification process, Blizzard apparently doesn't want to do that.

Blizzard/Valve and other PC oriented companies' have a very specific process that allows them to quickly and easily push out patches whenever they want without having to deal with a 3rd party. The development style of these companies is the real reason why they're conflicted, rather than financial/etc issues.

More bullshit.

Again, with Warframe's example. DE's has this development style and they drop quick patches for pc, then once a month they bundle them up for cert.

I cannot belive so many of you are white knighting for Blizzard on this.

Nethaniah

More bullshit.

Again, with Warframe's example. DE's has this development style and they drop quick patches for pc, then once a month they bundle them up for cert.

I cannot belive so many of you are white knighting for Blizzard on this.

How do we know if Warframe's situation is the exact same as what Blizzard or Valve wants to do with their games? We don't, it's not white knighting, i couldn't care less about defending Blizzard.

It's a shitty thing that Blizzard doesn't even seem willing to support this game beyond it's release and general bug fixes but i will say again that console users were dumb for expecting the same level of support that pc users get, it was never going to happen with this game.

TSM

I think the main issue is that the PC version is the primary version, and Blizzard do not want the console space to at all affect their PC development. Look at the controls, they adamantly refuse to bring the ability to use a game controller to the PC version. This would mean maintaining them as separate products or having the console version lag far behind the PC version much like Minecraft does. It may be that Blizzard has other plans for their in house console developers rather then leaving them on Diablo 3 for the foreseeable future.

Pimpbaa

If a small developer like gaijin entertainment can keep the console version up to date with the pc version (and have them on the same servers), keeping diablo 3 up to date on consoles shouldn't be that hard. Especially when they don't have to worry about them using the same servers. Getting the ps4 version either way because I hate playing the game with a mouse and keyboard plus I usually play solo.

All this speculation assumes they actually plan to leave the game unsupported and that this isn't just a badly-thought-out PR cover for "we haven't decided to how to balance update frequency on these consoles and want to underpromise until we commit." It's idiotic for them to make this statement this way, but I don't think we should assume the worst possible case until we get a little more information.
Yeah, I'm not actually worried they'll release a buggy game without patching it, and I never actually expected to get continual PC style content updates and tweaks. I'm more curious why they made the statement at all, especially considering the changes in new gen to make exactly that kind of thing easier.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
How do we know if Warframe's situation is the exact same as what Blizzard or Valve wants to do with their games? We don't, it's not white knighting, i couldn't care less about defending Blizzard.

It's a shitty thing that Blizzard doesn't even seem willing to support this game beyond it's release and general bug fixes but i will say again that console users were dumb for expecting the same level of support that pc users get, it was never going to happen with this game.

Nice circular logic there.

Lack of respect.

Ignoring the fact multiple examples have been posted of way smaller teams being able to do so.

Resilient

The hell? Why is Blizzard getting such a hard time for this? It's the nature of PC developers porting to console.

Team Fortress on console. Go and play it. Don't see anybody kicking a stink about that anymore, do you? Of course not because it's based Valve and they have their reasons.

Nethaniah

Nice circular logic there.

Lack of respect.

Ignoring the fact multiple examples have been posted of way smaller teams being able to do so.

Yeah, i adressed that in the first sentence (maybe read the posts you're quoting), we do not know if the situation is the same, from small developers with games like warframe that need a bigger audience and goodwill to a powerhouse like Blizzard that doesn't need Sony or MS and their respective audiences (when it comes down to it), maybe there are different deals or maybe Blizzard just wants to do it their way, who knows.

Again, shitty move on Blizzards part but people were expecting too much so i don't fully understand the anger in this thread (and from you).

Kalnos

Banned

Being able to do something and thinking it's worth your time/money are two different things. Smaller teams are often beneficial in software development by the way.

I'm pretty sure it has to do with adding ladders, leaderboards, seasons ... along with the continued expectations to run seasons that match the PC. I'm assuming adding a whole level of multi-player related things isn't as easy as "port over".

It's a difficult little pickle.

I think some people might be assuming these games are more alike than is true.

At least when looking at the last gen versions those were very different Diablo 3s. The core feature set was there, but enemy behaviors were different (because of the controller), skills were modified (again, for the same), there's an entirely different UI throughout, and of course the game can be played entirely disconnected, without Battle.net and via peer to peer and couch-co-op, which is nothing like the PC version. When the console versions launched, they even included some features that weren't in the PC version yet.

Expecting direct parity between PC and console versions, especially post-release, seems like a weird expectation to have, unless Blizzard made those promises at some point.

redhot_

If a small developer like gaijin entertainment can keep the console version up to date with the pc version (and have them on the same servers), keeping diablo 3 up to date on consoles shouldn't be that hard. Especially when they don't have to worry about them using the same servers. Getting the ps4 version either way because I hate playing the game with a mouse and keyboard plus I usually play solo.

Digital Extremes has been doing a pretty good job as well with Warframe.

I honestly don't see an excuse to not update the console versions even if its a couple months after PC updates.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
FFXIV downloads updates through its own launcher on PS4, pretty much identically to the PC version with all updates - even minor ones - releasing at the same time.

There is no excuse.

FFXIV downloads updates through its own launcher on PS4, pretty much identically to the PC version with all updates - even minor ones - releasing at the same time.

There is no excuse.

MMOs always get special treatment because they use their own servers for everything, including distributing content.

You need special permission from MS/Sony to do it.

The hell? Why is Blizzard getting such a hard time for this? It's the nature of PC developers porting to console.

Team Fortress on console. Go and play it. Don't see anybody kicking a stink about that anymore, do you? Of course not because it's based Valve and they have their reasons.

L4D2 is another example. I have no idea about CS:GO on console though

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
How many updates did the game represented in your avatar get on consoles?
I think an online game on current platforms is more relevant than one from last generation.
MMOs always get special treatment because they use their own servers for everything, including distributing content.

You need special permission from MS/Sony to do it.
Then shouldn't Blizzard be asking for special permission?

Hasney

As someone on the fence, will wait for content parity confirmation or no sale.

Same. Want local co op, but if the cheaper PC version gets more content, I may not get the game at all.

The fact that "if we patch it, shall we do bugs?" rubbed me the wrong way too. If there's fucking bugs there has to be patches. How is that a fucking debate?

Hopefully this confirms offline mode. Always had issue with the PC release and rubber-banding. Especially when I'm playing alone it's barely tolerable (at times). I don't know that I'd trade all future patches for more stability though. Was really looking forward to playing this version for the foreseeable future.

Could this be a matter of Blizzard wanting to know how many people they'd be serving before committing to this? In any case their candidness is appreciated at least.

If they don't support the game then why should I buy it?

This was one of the main reasons why I had no intention of getting the PS4 game, I knew this shit would happen. They didn't patch the PS3/360 game for shit, you had to know this was coming.

Hey Blizzard, I'm not buying a game you aren't going to support.

louis89

Surely any patches at this point would just be updates to the game logic? How much work can it be to also build new PS4 and XB1 binaries?

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Should've seen this coming. Oh well. I'll just wait til it's around 20-25 dollars before I pick it up.

Zornack

Surely any patches at this point would just be updates to the game logic? How much work can it be to also build new PS4 and XB1 binaries?

Console Diablo has completely separate balance and quite a few different systems than PC Diablo.

Yeah, I'm not actually worried they'll release a buggy game without patching it, and I never actually expected to get continual PC style content updates and tweaks. I'm more curious why they made the statement at all, especially considering the changes in new gen to make exactly that kind of thing easier.

It's not really a "statement," it's blue text on their forums. It's exactly what you get when you train CMs to very carefully avoid ever committing to delivering anything except something you have in writing from upper management -- they talk about something nice and simple (like update strategy) but instead of tackling it in a sensible way ("our update strategy isn't set yet so we'll have to tell you about it closer to launch") they avoid committing on things that are only notable by their exclusion, i.e. the idea that there will be updates at all.

I wouldn't read this as any kind of word-of-god statement from upstairs, especially after years of seeing how CM posts on Blizzard forums relate to what happens later on.

sega4ever

Pretty much the same, Valve games have horrid support on consoles - its something that sites (both review/news sites and forums) should really call them out on.

valve doesn't get called out on it because everyone but you knows thats its microsofts fault due to the amount of money they charged to update a game.

there have been a total of 436 patches to tf2 alone, multiply that by 40k (?) each and you got a problem. there is also the problem of increased system requirements that goes along with games that get major updates.

console players knew what they were signing up for when they bought the system, signed up for pay to play mulitplayer and bought the $15 3 map pack dlc.

you want free mulitplayer, maps, modes, weapons, mods, hats, ect?

get a pc.

BigDug13

But what is your definition of support? Is it fixing issues or is it adding additional content?

If it's the latter, then does that oblige other console publishers into producing content for free?

People usually expect platform parity. If a game comes out on both PC and Consoles and the PC version of that game gets free updates of content, we've grown accustomed to that company also putting that patch of content out on console.

zeelman

The 360/PS3 versions of Diablo 3 haven't been keeping up with the PC version, so I'm not surprised this is happening with PS4/Xbone version.

Its easier for Blizzard to update the PC version thanks to Battle.net. Updating games on consoles still isn't as easy as it is on PC.

The Cowboy

valve doesn't get called out on it because everyone but you knows thats its microsofts fault due to the amount of money they charged to update a game.

there have been a total of 436 patches to tf2 alone, multiply that by 40k (?) each and you got a problem. there is also the problem of increased system requirements that goes along with games that get major updates.

console players knew what they were signing up for when they bought the system, signed up for pay to play mulitplayer and bought the $15 3 map pack dlc.

you want free mulitplayer, maps, modes, weapons, mods, hats, ect?

get a pc.
Ohh I know it costs money to patch console games (people have known this for ages), but that doesn't mean some console devs should just drop support like they do. How about instead of a pile of small patches they release big uber patches for the console every so often?, kinda makes sense instead of releasing loads of small patches that costs a lot of money for each of them they instead release singular big combined patches every so often that don't.

Anyways, it would be nice of all the companies got treated the same with regards to lack of support, its really annoying seeing some gets slagged off big time for it whilst others pretty much get away with it scot free.

Tabris

FYI, I play FFXIV on PS4 with is updated quite often (and in sync with PC version), so this issue can't be on Sony's end.

gatti-man

Well now I may never buy it. I was thinking about it even though i got burned by the pc release at launch. I'm not letting blizzard burn me again.

I'll wait and see. No support on a loot game that needs balancing means no buy blizzard.

fvng

I don't see the point of buying the UEE if I already own Diablo 3. The selling point of including diablo 3 as a bonus is meaningless to me. Even if it's $30 I would be happy with that

Miletius

I mean even if 2.1 gets released on consoles I doubt it'll get ladders and ladder seasons. That requires a stable non-cheat environment which just wasn't present on consoles.

They should get everything else though, I would hope.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Sure it sucks but I don't think people know the cost of console patches. PC patches cost (if I remember correctly) $10k or free in some instances. Consoles cost like 40-50k due to first party policies. Still. It sucks.

ChipotIe

Banned
Remember when MMOs used to require a montly subscription because of the regular content update costs. And then there was the fact that a lot of PC games had free PC updates which was probably easier to do considering the fact that it was on a single platform. I bet developing updates (hot fixes aside) cross PC and console isn't as viable, so the situation is pretty understandable.

Of I can be an entitled manbaby and cry about how they owe me free content just because I may or may not choose to pay a one time fee to buy the game. Even though there is no update/patch parity precedent for cross platform games.

Top Bottom