• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 UEE shipping w/ patch 2.05, Blizzard unsure if they will ever patch it again

Navid

Well the added reason for Blizzard having this stance is that the money for them is obviously on pc and not on consoles, they own their own platform.
Well, you asked why people are so upset, not why Blizzard was doing it... When you are maybe planning on treating a portion of your potential customers with less care and support, then you also shouldn't be surprised when they voice their disappointment is all I'm saying.

BokehKing

Banned
If they don't know Lan on supporting after release, than I hope they don't put out anymore games for consoles, I mean the gesture is appreciated but....

Dahbomb

Can someone summarize the difference between 2.0.5/6 and 2.1?

I gotta say, if it's gonna be a huge difference, it went from a probably to nevermind.

I might just use my brothers battle.net account and play on my Mac.
Numerous quality of life changes.

Numerous class balance chances.

New Legendaries + buffs on old Legendaries that were bad.

Introduction of Ladders/Seasons

Introduction of Greater Rifts (it's a competitive/leaderboard type thing)

New Hellfire Amulet reward for killing Ubers (gives you a 5th passive skill essentially)

Legendary Gems (can socket into Rings/Amulets, these have two Legendary item type affixes on them)

It's really bad news that console version of D3 isn't getting 2.1.

Numerous quality of life changes.

Numerous class balance chances.

New Legendaries + buffs on old Legendaries that were bad.

Introduction of Ladders/Seasons

Introduction of Greater Rifts (it's a competitive/leaderboard type thing)

New Hellfire Amulet reward for killing Ubers (gives you a 5th passive skill essentially)

Legendary Gems (can socket into Rings/Amulets, these have two Legendary item type affixes on them)

It's really bad news that console version of D3 isn't getting 2.1.

So.....way better?

I'll stick to Mac. Thanks.

Damn Blizzard treat Console gamers like second rate citizens.

That's how it's always been; hell that's how it was when they reelased Diablo 3 on consoles initially. But everyone was shouting from rooftops 'superior version! no always online! comfy couch! PC was beta test for console gamers!" Then as the months went on, everything the PC D3 fans were talking about was dead accurate. PS3/360 version suffers from people hacking the fuck outta it (which when you go back to the old threads in which console gamers always pointed to D2 as to why the console version would be superior it stings a bit). Reapers of Souls came out, no mention of it coming to PS3/360; PC kept getting class updates, new legendaries...PS3/360 owners...nothing.

No matter how you slice it, the console version was always going to end up being the second rate version that received less attention than the PC version. Not to say the console version wasn't fun; because for many it was. But at the end of the day, it's a watered down experience compared to the PC.

OmegaDL50

Haha, take that! :D

I always knew that the console version is inferior. Don't get me wrong :) I'm a console player but the games that ment to be on the PC, I play them on PC.

Trying to turn this topic into a platform preference pissing contest? Oh yes, you'll do well here junior.

And in any case. I just canceled my pre-order on the PS4 version.

It's not like this game isn't going to be on shelves or go out of print if Blizzard decides to change their minds.

From the article I've read, they don't charge Indie Developers, which Blizzard clearly doesn't fall into that category.

The last real transparency we got on this suggested that patching on both systems is free by default after a charge for the initial release cert, but that the platform-holders both reserve the right to implement charges for high volumes of updates. So, basically, periodic content or balance patches are free, but constant running updates like you might see on PC will cost you.

Sorry but reading people post about the console version being so much better with local coop / controller support / comfy couch and then complain about this? Even though if people are being honest they knew this was going to happen boggles my mind.

The constant updating that you get on pc with this and other games where they are being patched years (some cases a decade) after release was NEVER likely to happen.
I'm not worried at this news only because it does seem like they just want to put a complete version on the consoles and leave it at that. The previous console D3 was fine.

BUT, whats really the sticking point on the current consoles? Haven't both platforms been specifically designed to accommodate more frequent updates?

MrDaravon

I'm getting at the fact that Diablo 2 PC should have been WAY more hackable than any Console version. The offline mode of D2 is hacked to hell and back. But they've plugged up the holes on the server based version. I don't see how they couldn't make a server based D3 game on consoles with plugged up holes from hacking if they're able to do it on PC with D2.

If you're implying that a PC game is MORE difficult to hack than a console game, I respectfully disagree. Especially if what I assume is correct that you needed a PC in order to even accomplish most of those D3 console hacks.

That doesn't make any sense... if there was an online only mode like on PC, why would there be hacked items?

Because in this scenario the point of entry is an Xbox/Playstation, not a Blizzard game client on PC. While I don't believe that it'd be impossible at all to have a console online-only game be free from hacks, it'd have to be completely online-only, as in no offline version of the game existing at all. Diablo 3 on PC is exclusively-online (for better or for worse) and outside of some exploits/dupes abusing netcode/quitting/etc there's not any actual hacking in the game that I've ever been aware of.

In this case even if they were to implement an online requirement to participate in Seasons for example, I believe with the game booting from a console + the available data at hand that is accessible from the offline mode people would still workaround and figure out how to get at least hacked items into online-only mode. As bad examples see vanilla Diablo 3 or Borderlands 1/2 on console, but there's been hacks on console games that had online-only components as well like PSU. This all would also be completely dependent on Blizzard actually implementing an online-only version for consoles which I just honestly don't think they have an interest in doing. Like with vanilla D3 and other similar games/scenarios like Borderlands on console, they know that most people will be fine with it ultimately or if people care they'll just play with friends. Probably will cost them some number of sales (as seen in this thread, at least potentially), but probably less money then it would be to build out and maintain servers just for console.

I still bet the bigger issue is they wouldn't be able to maintain parity on the last-gen versions. Even as someone who doesn't own a PS4/X1 yet I wish they had kept with the initial impression that this was going to be a current-gen only release. I feel that it existing on last-gen platforms is going to wind up really hurting the current-gen versions.

Nethaniah

I'm not worried at this news only because it does seem like they just want to put a complete version on the consoles and leave it at that.

BUT, whats really the sticking point on the current consoles? Haven't both been specifically designed to accommodate more frequent updates?

Maybe the infrastructure just isn't there, what Blizzard has going on with Battle.net is pretty impressive imo, the way you can play games while downloading or just how fast they can put updates out.

While Sony / MS have improved their online considerably i would argue that for companies like Blizzard it's still not good enough unless they invest more then they expect to get out of it.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Shame if we don't get 2.1.

Of all the shit moves blizzard can keep pulling with users be it console or pc for this game that is straight up robbery. 2.1 PTR is pretty good and some the benefits are things most players are going to want to keep.

OmegaDL50

The last real transparency we got on this suggested that patching on both systems is free by default after a charge for the initial release cert, but that the platform-holders both reserve the right to implement charges for high volumes of updates. So, basically, periodic content or balance patches are free, but constant running updates like you might see on PC will cost you.

I can see where this would be an issue.

Didn't Microsoft at one time charge nearly 50k just for a certification for patch updates?

A game with frequent updates and tweaks, those kinds of costs would make any publisher or developer hesitant.

I mean I don't expect Blizzard to simply patch the PS3 / PS4 versions without exorbitant fees and create a parity by not bothering with the 360 / XB1 ports do avoid those fees. They need to be impartial and strive total equality with their patching decisions naturally.

Not surprised. Blizzard's quality has gone way down and the rate at which they release new content/expansions for any of their games now is at a all time low. Problem is the stupid ass fanbase they have now made them this way and keeps allowing them to do this shit. Blizzard no longer has to give a shit since all they need to do to make easy millions is release a couple new mounts and pets on the WoW store and call it a day. Add to the fact that this is for their loyal PC fanbase, the one that made them everything they are today, it shouldn't be shocking to anyone that they are treating the console crowd this way. If this is shocking to you, then you haven't been paying attention to Blizzard's output the last 3-4 years.

It's no wonder Rob Pardo bailed.

Maybe the infrastructure just isn't there, what Blizzard has going on with Battle.net is pretty impressive imo, the way you can play games while downloading or just how fast they can put updates out.
It seems to work well enough with Warframe on the PS4. PC players get very frequent patches and updates, and the console version usually gets one rolled up patch every month or so later. I don't know why something along those lines couldn't work.

Or maybe it is just a play to push Battle.net.

gruenel

Because in this scenario the point of entry is an Xbox/Playstation, not a Blizzard game client on PC. While I don't believe that it'd be impossible at all to have a console online-only game be free from hacks, it'd have to be completely online-only, as in no offline version of the game existing at all. Diablo 3 on PC is exclusively-online (for better or for worse) and outside of some exploits/dupes abusing netcode/quitting/etc there's not any actual hacking in the game that I've ever been aware of.

It'd be enough to separate online from offline characters, like D2 did it.

Nethaniah

It seems to work well enough with Warframe on the PS4. PC players get very frequent patches and updates, and the console version usually gets one rolled up patch every month or so later. I don't know why something along those lines couldn't work.

Probably this....

Talon

I can't believe we're glossing over the fact that it's called the "Ultimate Evil Edition."

Real creative work there, guys. Was "Penultimate Demonic Version" taken?

Nymerio

I do as well. Problem is, I played a monk and a barbarian to 60 on Vanilla D3 on X360 and was hoping to try something new. I guess I'll level a Crusader and a DH this time.

If you haven't tried witch doctor yet you could try that. It was the class I liked least when game released but they really turned it around and it's become one of my favourites.

sega4ever

Well, statement like this sure don't help make me want to purchase the game at launch, that's for sure... Seems like the the all important words that developers so love to use (parity and consistent experience) only applies when they want it to.

Unfortunately this has also been a issue when Valve released titles on consoles in the past, hopefully these companies will make the right decision and provide equal support for their products across all devices this generation.

its just the price you pay for playing in the walled garden.

ZenaxPure

Eh I don't think some people actually realize the full picture here. Especially those that have never played the PC version of RoS. You really want 2.1 added to the console version (especially at launch)? Here is the big features you are getting: a new mode that starts you out fresh with no access to your previous gold/gear/characters/p.lvl so you can have a fresh start from the months and months you've already put into the game, and, a competitive game mode where you are chasing leader board scores.

The first I can kinda see, down the line maybe if the game sells well and they want to keep people hooked, but the second is entirely pointless in the current console version where hacking items is incredibly rampant. I think we all know how people react to games with leaderboards where the top scores are obviously hacked. We ignore it and never look back because it sucks for the rest of us. That specific feature is like the biggest part of 2.1 and it doesn't even make sense for the console versions in their current form.It probably just doesn't make much sense to update the game to match PC when the features they are making support the online-only structure of the PC version.

Personally if I was going to primarily play the console version of this I'd be more worried about them nailing the console controls rather than getting new updates. The vanilla console version worked okay enough, but despite what some people tell themselves the game is made with PC in mind first and a lot of the new endgame RoS builds focus on skills you have to manually aim which is a huge problem to overcome on consoles because of how these skills work.

Daximuss

Ok, so for those of us that played Diablo III on Xbox 360 and PS3, if we purchase the "Ultimate Evil Edition", what are we getting besides the new chapter and Crusader class?

1) Will there be new legendaries in "Ultimate Evil Edition?"

2) Will there be new skills & talents for the vanilla D3 classes?

3) What changed or was added in the PC version since the last console D3?

n0tail

Banned
Not surprised. Blizzard's quality has gone way down and the rate at which they release new content/expansions for any of their games now is at a all time low. Problem is the stupid ass fanbase they have now made them this way and keeps allowing them to do this shit. Blizzard no longer has to give a shit since all they need to do to make easy millions is release a couple new mounts and pets on the WoW store and call it a day. Add to the fact that this is for their loyal PC fanbase, the one that made them everything they are today, it shouldn't be shocking to anyone that they are treating the console crowd this way. If this is shocking to you, then you haven't been paying attention to Blizzard's output the last 3-4 years.

It's no wonder Rob Pardo bailed.

Agree 100%. I am surprised people actually bought Diablo 3 on PC when it had less features than D2. Blizzard has been dead for years.

But I will admit that I am interested in this for PS4 exclusively to play couch co-op with my girlfriend. But it needs to have PvP for that.

Eh I don't think some people actually realize the full picture here. Especially those that have never played the PC version of RoS. You really want 2.1 added to the console version (especially at launch)? Here is the big features you are getting: a new mode that starts you out fresh with no access to your previous gold/gear/characters/p.lvl so you can have a fresh start from the months and months you've already put into the game, and, a competitive game mode where you are chasing leader board scores.

The first I can kinda see, down the line maybe if the game sells well and they want to keep people hooked, but the second is entirely pointless in the current console version where hacking items is incredibly rampant. I think we all know how people react to games with leaderboards where the top scores are obviously hacked. We ignore it and never look back because it sucks for the rest of us. That specific feature is like the biggest part of 2.1 and it doesn't even make sense for the console versions in their current form.It probably just doesn't make much sense to update the game to match PC when the features they are making support the online-only structure of the PC version.

Personally if I was going to primarily play the console version of this I'd be more worried about them nailing the console controls rather than getting new updates. The vanilla console version worked okay enough, but despite what some people tell themselves the game is made with PC in mind first and a lot of the new endgame RoS builds focus on skills you have to manually aim which is a huge problem to overcome on consoles because of how these skills work.

I'm primarily worried about class changes, legendary gems, and legendary set changes.

phant0m

buying this when it hits $30 or less confirmed.

i'd also like to note i've already bought d3 twice (vanilla pc, and the ps3 version) as well as RoS on pc. few companies can get me to buy a game 3 times.

It's fine if you have no interest in PC gaming. The PC version of this game is and will continue to be superior to the console version(s), and that's why there's no reason to buy it unless your (not you, specifically) PC is a toaster. Which is quite a likely scenario if you aren't interested in PC gaming.

Or, you have it on both and are playing with friends that don't want to bother or just come over.

About the patches, hopefully it's a bunch of updates rolled into one, but frequent patching really doesn't have to be an issue. Warframe is on both, CoD is on both, BF, AC, etc, etc.

I'm primarily worried about class changes, legendary gems, and legendary set changes.

If you have a WD, you're good to go. If you have a Crusader, good to go.
Wizard? Find a mirrorball, and hope for the best.

Ok, so for those of us that played Diablo III on Xbox 360 and PS3, if we purchase the "Ultimate Evil Edition", what are we getting besides the new chapter and Crusader class?

Nephalem rifts, adventure mode, improved drop rates, new difficulty modifiers
it's a completely different game :)

njean777

How does a company as big as blizzard get away with this shit? Even if consel makers charged for patches blizzard could still afford to patch in everything. This is just pure bs.

OmegaDL50

Think of your question like this.

"What will I miss out on if I play Diablo 2 without Lord of Destruction?"

Just as Diablo 2's expansion greatly "expanded" upon the "Diablo 2 experience" by adding new monsters, a new act, new classes, new ways to craft items.

Diablo 3's Reaper of Souls expansion is similar in this regard by greatly improving over the base Diablo 3 experience.

If you want to get the "definitive" experience out of the Diablo III. Then the expansion is worthwhile in that regard.

The higher level caps, higher artisan / crafting levels, new legendaries, The Mystic and Transmogrification, adventure mode are changes that you won't ever experience in standard Diablo 3.

Reaper of Souls is MORE then just an extra class and new act.

Daximuss

Think of your question like this.

"What will I miss out on if I play Diablo 2 without Lord of Destruction?"

Just as Diablo 2's expansion greatly "expanded" upon the "Diablo 2 experience" by adding new monsters, a new act, new classes, new ways to craft items.

Diablo 3's Reaper of Souls expansion is similar in this regard by greatly improving over the base Diablo 3 experience.

If you want to get the "definitive" experience out of the Diablo III. Then the expansion is worthwhile in that regard.

The higher level caps, higher artisan / crafting levels, new legendaries, The Mystic and Transmogrification, adventure mode are changes that you won't ever experience in standard Diablo 3.

Reaper of Souls is MORE then just an extra class and new act.

That's what I was hoping to read. Thanks so much for the detailed response.

All this speculation assumes they actually plan to leave the game unsupported and that this isn't just a badly-thought-out PR cover for "we haven't decided to how to balance update frequency on these consoles and want to underpromise until we commit." It's idiotic for them to make this statement this way, but I don't think we should assume the worst possible case until we get a little more information.

SnakeEyes

Banned
That's bullshit.

Warframe is a goddamned f2p indie game and it gets major content updates around once a month.

You telling me 150 canadians can do what mighty Blizzard can't?

I'm going to buy the game, because the content it ships with will last me until Destiny releases, but I'm damned if I don't 100% agree with this statement. It's a load of horse shit on Blizzard's part.

Jezbollah

Playing a little Devils Advocate here:

How many that are expecting free content on this game have willingly paid for season tickets, or paid DLC for other console games?

Also, does anyone know of any other high profile games that got free content on PC but not on console versions of that game?

Navid

All this speculation assumes they actually plan to leave the game unsupported and that this isn't just a badly-thought-out PR cover for "we haven't decided to how to balance update frequency on these consoles and want to underpromise until we commit." It's idiotic for them to make this statement this way, but I don't think we should assume the worst possible case until we get a little more information.
Agree on that, at this point they really haven't said much of anything one way or the other... But I also think the fact that the answer isn't a firm and clear "yes, of course we will support our game going forward" is in itself what is somewhat disappointing.

Kalnos

Banned
It's not only the cost that's annoying but also the time you have to wait for MS/Sony to approve your patches I would imagine.

I agree with the general sentiment but a Blizzard thread is the worst possible place to make that point as battle.net is effectively a walled garden.

It's Blizzard's walled garden though. His point is that you pay the price for the dev having to go through the hardware companies' walled garden.

zoobzone

It's not only the cost that's annoying but also the time you have to wait for MS/Sony to approve your patches I would imagine.

It's Blizzard's walled garden though. His point is that you pay the price for the dev having to go through the hardware companies' walled garden.

I don't think this would be a issue on PS3 and PS4.

Look at how Square Enix does it with FF14, and also look at how Warframe does it.

Top Bottom