• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT| Stay Awhile And... *click* *click* *click*

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Sorry to butt in (I am not Yoshi) but I have read (and bitched) enough about PVP. It won't be available at launch, they are focusing on team based arena PVP and they don't plan on it being a competitive thing, so no e-sport, and that is directly from Jay Wilson's mouth. It's a PvE game with little PVP things thrown in for fun.

Interesting! Thank you for this!

I'm always a bit against PvP in these types of games anyway..

I played a free MMO beta once.. and my first character... I ran out of the main village and some one slaughtered me.

His name was Dancing_Assassin. I now play MMO's as Dancing_Syth, One day I will have my revenge.

One day I will sleigh the demon that is Dancing_Assassin

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I've kept out of the diablo 3 news as much as i can.. i didnt want the excitement to kill me.

but now its building.
Get on the roller-coaster, we've got a long way to go!

Yoshi, I ask of you, I see the PvP section in the OP is empty, is there any word on this? will the facilities be in place for the next foxer to play diablo 3? will there be enough there for a pro scene?
Unfortunately, from the research I've done of the PvP, it'll be heavily team-based and they're not really advertising it as a competitive sport. I hate to bring you this news but I am certain that there will be no FoxeR in D3 Arena, but we shall pray that it gets some sort of attention as an e-sport! I think the potential is there, it just needs that little extra push.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Get on the roller-coaster, we've got a long way to go!

Unfortunately, from the research I've done of the PvP, it'll be heavily team-based and they're not really advertising it as a competitive sport. I hate to bring you this news but I am certain that there will be no FoxeR in D3 Arena, but we shall pray that it gets some sort of attention as an e-sport! I think the potential is there, it just needs that little extra push.

Yes I think I'm well on the roller coaster now.. I might even play some d2 all week!

and interesting! thank you.

RkOwnage

Interesting! Thank you for this!

I'm always a bit against PvP in these types of games anyway..

I played a free MMO beta once.. and my first character... I ran out of the main village and some one slaughtered me.

His name was Dancing_Assassin. I now play MMO's as Dancing_Syth, One day I will have my revenge.

One day I will sleigh the demon that is Dancing_Assassin

Haha, yeah and you don't have to worry about the "hostile" stuff from Diablo 2, I think they removed the ability to hostile someone, so you don't have to worry about any "Douchebaggery" from other players.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
HolyCheck, one thing I forgot to mention! There will be people who will take the PvP in this game extremely seriously and I am one of those. I had planned my Arena-team-synergy for months but then Blizzard decided to not have it on launch and that ruined so many things for me. I'm still mad salty about it - but we learn, and then we adapt, right? Hopefully it'll be out before the end of this year. I'd love to start my team asap.

elfinke

Stunning work CarbonatedFalcon (and everyone else who helped behind the scenes)! The character banners are broken for me upon loading the thread (the ends of them are chopped off, and placed a line lower, no amount of re-reloading and cache clearing is fixing it), but even so, it's a wonderful OT.

Tuesday 5pm here we come!

Fou-Lu

The social life killer is going to finally be released. I'll be lined up at my local gamestop at midnight for the release.

I've gone back to my parents house to 'visit' for this month. None of those pesky friends will get in the way of D3!

(Okay, so I'll be playing with at least one friend, and as appealing as the thought is at having stayed at her apartment for a month playing D3 which could lead to who knows what, my parents basically begged me to visit *sigh* So no I'm not really a mastermind)

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well, that's an epic OT, that's for sure.

Anyway, I've had the game on order since October 2010, but I've been on a self enforced blackout on the game so I didn't take part in the beta thread, sorry.

I can't wait to finally get my hands on the game, it has been far too long since playing Diablo 2 in the small hours and I need my click fix. Less than a week to go, yey!

I have multiple friends with the Annual Pass, and at least 3 of them don't even care about Diablo 3; they didn't play D2 either. They said they will "probably try it out at some point." One of them was like "maybe, maybe not". When I asked them why they got it, they said the mount looked cool.

Boggles the mind.

RkOwnage

I have a odd request of you guys, but my buddy is a GameStop manager and he asked me to come up with some ideas for some things to do at the midnight launch for D3.

I was thinking some Trivia, among other things, does anyone have any ideas? They are going to raffle off some Tshirts, keychains and the Diablo 3 standee they have up right now, as well as have lots of pizza and soda. But I was wondering what kind of things I should plan for him. Any ideas would be helpful!

Xanathus

I have a odd request of you guys, but my buddy is a GameStop manager and he asked me to come up with some ideas for some things to do at the midnight launch for D3.

I was thinking some Trivia, among other things, does anyone have any ideas? They are going to raffle off some Tshirts, keychains and the Diablo 3 standee they have up right now, as well as have lots of pizza and soda. But I was wondering what kind of things I should plan for him. Any ideas would be helpful!
Best Diablo character voice impression, bonus points if they cosplay.

Yoshichan

Boggles the mind.
Yup. My whole raiding team in WoW (9 people) bought the annual pass and not a single one has played Diablo 2 before. Some of them even think it's a direct sequel to WoW. When I explained to them how the game is played, some were left disappointed. Needless to say, I raged.

Jimrpg

I've had a total media blackout plus haven't played the beta or watched any videos for at least a year - very excite!

But my fiance is landing in Australia on the day Diablo releases LOL, and we have 3 weddings in the next two months.... 13 years and now I'll have to wait a couple more months....

also im really tempted in buying a new computer for this.... i just wish the new macbooks would come out!

LowParry

So fellow mages. What do you think of the ol'sword and board behind mages and their MH/OH equips. I'm already thinking PvP with this kind of set up. I'm sure it can be helpful as well with PvE.

Soule

One more week....

Less than a week :)

qYynP.gif

5 days 23 hours and 55 minutes or so to go HYPE LEVELS HITTING CRITICAL MASS

Yoshichan

So fellow mages. What do you think of the ol'sword and board behind mages and their MH/OH equips. I'm already thinking PvP with this kind of set up. I'm sure it can be helpful as well with PvE.
Sword and board as in melee sorc (spectral blade + + diamond skin, ice armor etc)? :3

Negator

I wonder if I should keep a log of every rare (+) item I come across on my road to Inferno and just share it with GAF

Nicko

What's the specs on your PC? I built one on a small budget with Diablo 3 in mind, had no issues running the Beta @ Max settings so I was satisfied to know I built something with $550 that runs it flawlessly.

Got a good deal on a 2.8 Ghz Core i5, biostar MB and a geforce 8800GT. Combined that with an additional 8800GT from my old desktop for SLI. Corsair 8GB DDR 3 RAM at Microcenter for $40. 120GB Intel 520 SSD for the single biggest performance upgrade I have ever seen (computer fully boots in less that 15 seconds). Got it on Newegg for $100. 600 W PSU for $30. Plus 5 fan case for $50.

Total (using a few old parts) ~ $330.

You guys think two Geforce 8800GTs in SLI should be adequate for DIII right? High settings??

LowParry

Sword and board as in melee sorc (spectral blade + + diamond skin, ice armor etc)? :3

That's exactly what I was thinking. I really need to look through the runes and see what else can be done. I've always been curious with this kind of set up to make a so called "battle mage". Just my theory that it could run and be viable for PvP. Meh, why'd they had to delay it. Makes me sad.

nowai

I've gone back to my parents house to 'visit' for this month. None of those pesky friends will get in the way of D3!

(Okay, so I'll be playing with at least one friend, and as appealing as the thought is at having stayed at her apartment for a month playing D3 which could lead to who knows what, my parents basically begged me to visit *sigh* So no I'm not really a mastermind)

I fail to see the negative side of any of this.

RkOwnage

Got a good deal on a 2.8 Ghz Core i5, biostar MB and a geforce 8800GT. Combined that with an additional 8800GT from my old desktop for SLI. Corsair 8GB DDR 3 RAM at Microcenter for $40. 120GB Intel 520 SSD for the single biggest performance upgrade I have ever seen (computer fully boots in less that 15 seconds). Got it on Newegg for $100. 600 W PSU for $30. Plus 5 fan case for $50.

Total (using a few old parts) ~ $330.

You guys think two Geforce 8800GTs in SLI should be adequate for DIII right? High settings??

I would think so, my friend is using 1 8800GTX and it seemed to run Diablo 3 just fine, he also has an i5 and 8gb of RAM.

I have been on the fence about an SSD for a REALLY long time. Part of the reason I haven't gotten one is because I am unfamiliar with them, and as far as transferring my Windows 7 Install and all my animation programs (Maya, 3DS max, Adobe products, etc) I have licenses for would be a pain in the ass. But I look at sales on them almost every day...maybe eventually.

Yoshichan

That's exactly what I was thinking. I really need to look through the runes and see what else can be done. I've always been curious with this kind of set up to make a so called "battle mage". Just my theory that it could run and be viable for PvP. Meh, why'd they had to delay it. Makes me sad.
I played a melee sorc (1-13) and it worked out quite nicely - however that was before all nerfs. Unfortunately, spectral blade, along with almost every other sorc-spell has been nerfed to the ground so I haven't really been able to test it out with all the changes. Why would they nerf a skill like the spectral blade? I have no idea.

gillFTR

Been working out and trying to lose weight...but I will shamelessly order pizza with 3 cans of coke monday night.

LowParry

I played a melee sorc (1-13) and it worked out quite nicely - however that was before all nerfs. Unfortunately, spectral blade, along with almost every other sorc-spell has been nerfed to the ground so I haven't really been able to test it out with all the changes. Why would they nerf a skill like the spectral blade? I have no idea.

Sorc does seem to have the most flexibility. Time to play around with some builds and see what comes of it.

Yoshichan

Sorc does seem to have the most flexibility. Time to play around with some builds and see what comes of it.
The problem with a melee sorc would be that unlike the two other close-combat classes - she has next to zero survivability. Once diamond skin (or whatever you decide to have as a defensive spell) runs out, you'll be vulnerable to anything. And it's not like you can compensate with health-stealing gear because the sorc hits so slowly anyway :/

Fuck, I really want to try it. But God bless how it's gonna turn out.

RkOwnage

The problem with a melee sorc would be that unlike the two other close-combat classes - she has next to zero survivability. Once diamond skin (or whatever you decide to have as a defensive spell) runs out, you'll be vulnerable to anything. And it's not like you can compensate with health-stealing gear because the sorc hits so slowly anyway :/

Melee sorcs at one time were so damn fun in Diablo 2, I remember in 1.10 I tried one and I enjoyed the hell out of it. Highly unconventional but it was a ton of fun playing such a unique spec.

Stunning work CarbonatedFalcon (and everyone else who helped behind the scenes)! The character banners are broken for me upon loading the thread (the ends of them are chopped off, and placed a line lower, no amount of re-reloading and cache clearing is fixing it), but even so, it's a wonderful OT.

Tuesday 5pm here we come!

Not sure about the broken banners. It works fine for me on two different monitors. Maybe if you have an unusual resolution or something?

Already gone. I tried adding it to my cart several times but it said no.

Sorry :(

They must've gone fast. It was still open when I saw it.

Unrelated - I had an idea for some avatar flair (Tyrael Wings). Didn't get around to pimping mine out yet. If it works well on my avatar and isn't too awkward an angle, I'll try and provide a transparency for other people to use, ala the Skyrim helmet.

LowParry

Hmm. I think I'll run the course of trying it out through my play through until I hit the next difficulty. If it works, I'll roll with it. If not, I'll switch up to glass cannon.

Fou-Lu

Melee sorcs at one time were so damn fun in Diablo 2, I remember in 1.10 I tried one and I enjoyed the hell out of it. Highly unconventional but it was a ton of fun playing such a unique spec.

I'm probably going to keep any gear that'll help me try a melee build on my wizard just for this reason. Melee sorc was hella fun.

Yoshichan

Heavens bless 1.10, that version was the true definition of Diablo 2.

Just the thought of 1.13 infuriates me. I stopped playing as soon as I realized how 1.13 pretty much ruined the game for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom