• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT2| Queues Rise. Servers Fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
eGPK3.jpg

LordCanti

I'll have to tell you for sure when I get home. Like I said I was co-op. But elites would come after me, and run usually was my response. But shadow power saved my ass so many times.

I think the moral of this story is that I should just never play solo again =/

Believe me, I tried Shadow Power. Things do so much damage that you can't possibly leech it back fast enough when the entire mob is on you. The AI won't treat a companion as the thing it's supposed to aggro, so it's not like you can use them as a meat shield either =/

Epix

Are Barbarians viable late game? I'm level 20 with around 80 dps which seems low to me. Doesn't seem like many people are playing Barbarians either.

Ferrio

Banned
I think the moral of this story is that I should just never play solo again =/

Believe me, I tried Shadow Power. Things do so much damage that you can't possibly leech it back fast enough when the entire mob is on you. The AI won't treat a companion as the thing it's supposed to aggro, so it's not like you can use them as a meat shield either =/

What attacks are you using? With Rain of Vengence coming down... get fully healed instantly and it stays there. Impale was doing 3k damage on crits last night, and that was before i upgraded my gear (i was at 700-800 damage, I'm at 1200 now but haven't test it), so that was giving me a ton of hp back too.

Suairyu

Banned
Are Barbarians viable late game? I'm level 20 with around 80 dps which seems low to me. Doesn't seem like many people are playing Barbarians either.
1 - All classes are viable late game.
2 - The game has not been out nearly long enough for people to decide which classes are more viable, if any.

Rit, I don't get it. What are people doing to have triple my dps around the same level?
You want gear that increases your strength.

But really, don't worry about it too much. On Normal I've mostly been focusing on gear that grants extra experience so I can power through the levels quicker. If you're able to play without dying much, if at all, you're good.

Get as much gear as possible that bumps your strength. Points added to strength increase all damage done by a percentage for Barbs.

Also, just beat the game as a WD, had a blast. What class would you guys recommend as the 2nd time through? Not barb though, played far too much Barb in D2. I'm noticing a lot of people in here have Demon Hunters?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
...the frankly abysmal writing. Of the three companions so far, none is even tolerable, and my monk is a sanctimonious moron. My NPC accompaniment repeat their lacklustre lines of nothingness with the sadness of a dementia patient, half the time talking at the same time as a book I’m reading.

I definitely agree with this part, at any rate. The writing in this game is dreadful, the Monk has less personality then a Lego block, and my companions keep repeating the same dull conversations over and over again every time you start up another session, oblivious to whatever else is going on in the game.

I'm not sure how they get away with such poor writing.

Starcraft II was also completely dreadful, in that regard. There's no character in any of it. It's so dry.

Suairyu

Banned
Also, just beat the game as a WD, had a blast. What class would you guys recommend as the 2nd time through? Not barb though, played far too much Barb in D2. I'm noticing a lot of people in here have Demon Hunters?
Demon Hunters are tactical bliss. Play them right and you can go for scores of encounters without ever taking a hit of damage.

I'm not sure how they get away with such poor writing.

Starcraft II was also completely dreadful, in that regard. There's no character in any of it. It's so dry.
Personally, I find the writing adequate in D3 so far. Dryness tends to suit such quasi-biblical tales and settings.

Damn you people with opinions.

They are right about the dialogue for the followers and some of the voice acting being poor (my female barb's voice actor is very wooden and lacks emotion, although she picked it up in the last third of the game). But the way they go about and say it makes them come off as elitist blowhards. I can't relate to that type of journalism. Some of their reviews/articles are written by authors who clearly made up their mind about a game before playing it. See the embarrassing FO NV review for proof of this.

HenryHSH

Lol it is, 1.06 attacks per second, but luckily it's a pretty strong weapon.

Hmm. I had a similar 2 hander but I found that slowing my firebats down messed with my need to move around a lot. I envy your HP. I thought I had a lot with 4.6k at level 40. :p

Right, I don't get it. What are people doing to have triple my dps around the same level?

Dmg rings. Items with high strength (adds armor and dmg for a barb). If you have socketed items, put red gems in them. Gems are easily removable and can be crafted so keep upgrading the gems.

SyNapSe

hmm, server shutdown. Anyone want to group up for lowbie runs? Traygore#1744. Let me know what level and I'm sure I have something.

My baba:

lvl 32
Just started act 4
2.8k life
220 dps
Weapon is a one hand axe 40 dmg + a shield

lol probably the worst dps of any lvl 32. I haven't abused the auction house much and have only flawed and normal rubies in my gear for the +dmg and +str (except helm which has the triangle one gives 15% exp bonus). I guess it's time to abuse the AH and pick up a bunch of GG rubies, have 40k gold.

Hmm. I had a similar 2 hander but I found that slowing my firebats down messed with my need to move around a lot. I envy your HP. I thought I had a lot with 4.6k at level 40. :p

Lol yeah, mines at 6.2k so it helps with me taking a few hits if I need too. I've been changing my skills up quite a bit, but I like using vision quest and blood ritual, so I'll probably stick with this build for awhile.

If there's one thing I really like about the game so far it's the focus on player skill when it comes to avoiding certain attacks. Things like frost and arcane elites will destroy you if you're not paying attention and get out of the way, then most of the bosses are designed around the players ability to avoid huge amounts of damage. It's a great new element that wasn't really present in D2.

With that said fuck jail/wall elites.

Sothpaw

My baba:

lvl 32
Just started act 4
2.8k life
220 dps

lol probably the worst dps of any lvl 32. I haven't abused the auction house much and have only flawed and normal rubies in my gear for the +dmg and +str (except helm which has the triangle one gives 15% exp bonus). I guess it's time to abuse the AH and pick up a bunch of GG rubies, have 40k gold.

That was my dps as a 32 WD. I destroyed act iv no prob. Today I started nightmare and was having problems so I ran through act iv again. From just one act iv run, I increased my dps from 280 to 450. Note that this increase was mainly due to getting more and better quality INT gems. I bet I can progress in nightmare now; gonna try when the servers restart.

Zeliard

Wait, people play Diablo for the writing?

I kinda wish it did have good writing to complement the visual design. The lore is broad and cliched Tolkienesque good/evil stuff but still silly fun when read in wikis or whatever. In the games it's usually communicated very poorly outside of the art. Poor storytelling through the dialogue and text as a whole.

Then again the writing in 95% of modern games is total garbage so in that light it's probably above-average.

DTKT

My baba:

lvl 32
Just started act 4
2.8k life
220 dps

AH if you want good gear fast.

No real reason to upgrade the BS for now.

So I beat normal with Demon Hunter last night, great times. Then I got to act 2 on normal with the Barbarian, didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would, so I put the kaibosh on that for now. Then I started normal with Wizard, which is a bit of a challenge at first, gonna stick with it and see if it gets fun. So far I'm leaning toward continuing the game with the demon hunter but who knows how wizard will turn out. Gonna save the other 2 for a future time.

I've wasted so much money on the Blacksmith. I get better shit from shops/AH/out in the field
KuGsj.gif
. I've got like 100 magic essence or some shit, I just sell all my magic items now

Just bought a Collector's Edition from my local Fry's. You guys weren't kidding about the smell of the box that the USB stick and Diablo skull came in.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
That Act I ending cutscene... Sogood.jpg

Also, level 18ish now, what are the best skills mid-level where I'm at? Or generally, what are some of the best for DH? I am using entangled shot, caltrops, vault and chakrams atm...

Can i use multiple skills from the same group, e.g. 2 "primary" skills? I turned elective mode on but have no idea how to use it... :/

My baba:

lvl 32
Just started act 4
2.8k life
220 dps

That's pretty good.

I just beat Act 2 and am lvl 25
1.1k life
160 dps (Dual Weilding Axe and Dagger lol)

Teknoman

Diablo series writing, cutscenes, and story are basically like an action RPG summer blockbuster.

Just take it for what it is, enjoy the explosions and crazy demons, and dont overthink things. Its like complaining about how 300 or Terminator 2 werent profoundly deep.

inbCEvSaT569P.png

That Act I ending cutscene... Sogood.jpg

Also, level 18ish now, what are the best skills mid-level where I'm at? Or generally, what are some of the best for DH? I am using entangled shot, caltrops, vault and chakrams atm...

Can i use multiple skills from the same group, e.g. 2 "primary" skills? I turned elective mode on but have no idea how to use it... :/

Elective mode -> open skill menu -> click on skill you want and then click on the hotbutton you want to set....I think.

EDIT: Everyone who said the game isnt challenging, it seems like it gains a decent spike in difficulty immediately after the first boss. Been playing 2p co-op so far though for story purposes/frst time through.

Zeliard

Diablo series writing, cutscenes, and story are basically like an action RPG summer blockbuster.

Just take it for what it is, enjoy the explosions and crazy demons, and dont overthink things. Its like complaining about how 300 or Terminator 2 werent profoundly deep.

Doesn't have to be deep. Should just make you not want to completely ignore everything that almost any character says because they're that uninteresting. Outside of Tyrael, they all suck. The monster lore when you encounter a new enemy is the only decent part.

Magnus

Was just about to go play for the first time today. Servers are actually down, eh? Wow.

I still seriously don't understand how people have beaten this game multiple times and hit 60 on a character in just 3 days, unless they were playing over 10 hours each of those days. It's unfathomable to me.

Sounds like I hopped off in the nick of time.

I... I hadn't opened it yet until I saw these posts. So this is regret.

Think of it as an opportunity to plunge your very own soulstone into your face. Do you embrace the noxious chemicals, or leave evil entombed forever?

You chose well.

Suairyu

Banned
The great thing is, to get all achievements you need to get all classes to level 60... twice!

Totes going to be one male and one female of each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom