• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

inky

That reads alot like you werent going to come back and play anyway. If nothing short of an expansion with more Acts was going to interest you, then thats fine. But for people like me who like the game, but just wanted all of the bad shit fixed, this looks fantastic. Im definitely going to play again, but not until this shit goes live.

Not regularly as I did, but surely casually. I just want a healthy fun game to play once in a while, not new weekly content... but I still feel the game needs more of a fundamental core change to keep me in it. I also said that I'll keep an eye out for class/item changes, and I still check the thread, so I did have every intention to play again before an expansion. I mean, it's fine for the people who are satisfied with this stuff, I certainly didn't find it fantastic.

Does Mantra of Condamnation also affect other people ? Will they deal 24% more damage to a single enemy if this one is in the zone of effect, or just the monk ?

Dahbomb

Does Mantra of Condamnation also affect other people ? Will they deal 24% more damage to a single enemy if this one is in the zone of effect, or just the monk ?
You mean Mantra of Conviction? It does affect other players in that enemies with the aura will take more damage.

V_Arnold

Don't agree.

Players having to willingly and unnaturally gimp themselves in order to challenge themselves at a game means that the game has flaws related to difficulty.

Furthermore, an always online game with multiplayer elements will always have a component of competition to it, despite people who willingly blind themselves to that fact.

Those arguments are crap and don't help promote a better game. Challenge and fun need to be emergent from within the game, not externally.

You do realize that all you are iterating and reiterating is the same "I want my limitations to come from someone else, not from me, JUST BECAUSE" over and over again?

Because that is all that argument is. You want your limitations from others, even if others playing this game might not agree with it. Just because!

Personally, I do not care either way. I got to Act3 post-Ghom pre-nerf, with a quite good gear, but killing mobs started to took too much time so I stopped. My own personal limitation was this: do not use exploits. Avoid the most popular builds if you do not like them, even if they are effective.

Edit: also, the bolded part is not true. These arguments are amazing, and they promote a better MINDSET when playing the game. Any game. This mindset, when incorporated, empowers you, frees you up from your own shackles, while not limiting anyone in the process.

prices on all 6 prop weapon plans went from 200k to 10+mil already

weapons are probably going to flooooded once patch hits lol

That makes me a little peaved. I had a 6 prop weapon plan drop (my only 6 prop plan) and sold it for 200K about a week or so ago :(

You mean Mantra of Conviction? It does affect other players in that enemies with the aura will take more damage.

I'm waiting for the skill buffs to see if WD is viable.

eek5

That makes me a little peaved. I had a 6 prop weapon plan drop (my only 6 prop plan) and sold it for 200K about a week or so ago :(

I'm waiting for the skill buffs to see if WD is viable.

I've gone through like 50 plans selling them for $1-2 over the last week so I'm a bit peeved too LOL

scosher

Well, I'm pretty indifferent about the patch. I suppose those of us who've already cleared Inferno and have been farming Act 2/3, this really does nothing for us. Content is nerfed (again), co-op is incentivized, but there's still no real end-game and loot itemization remains insanely boring. I suppose that'll just come in 1.1, but I'll probably be playing a different game by then.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You do realize that all you are iterating and reiterating is the same "I want my limitations to come from someone else, not from me, JUST BECAUSE" over and over again?

Because that is all that argument is. You want your limitations from others, even if others playing this game might not agree with it. Just because!

Personally, I do not care either way. I got to Act3 post-Ghom pre-nerf, with a quite good gear, but killing mobs started to took too much time so I stopped. My own personal limitation was this: do not use exploits. Avoid the most popular builds if you do not like them, even if they are effective.

Edit: also, the bolded part is not true. These arguments are amazing, and they promote a better MINDSET when playing the game. Any game. This mindset, when incorporated, empowers you, frees you up from your own shackles, while not limiting anyone in the process.
If you think the basis for my argument is "just because", then you aren't seeing it.

If the game is so unsatisfying to a particular group of players that they have to artificially gimp themselves, then it is the fault of the designers for not providing adequately for that group.

Containing the multiplayer aspect that it has, you can't just go and tell the average player to play in a certain way when the design of the game does not naturally promote that gameplay style. You can't argue to contain yourself in a single player bubble when the game forces you to be online and be exposed to the multiplayer element.

Demanding that players be willingly ignorant about the very same game they play in order to get the most enjoyment out of it is ridiculous.

A mindset that empowers you by making you willingly gimp yourself is laughably ironic.

V_Arnold

If you think the basis for my argument is "just because", then you aren't seeing it.

If the game is so unsatisfying to a particular group of players that they have to artificially gimp themselves, then it is the fault of the designers for not providing adequately for that group.

Containing the multiplayer aspect that it has, you can't just go and tell the average player to play in a certain way when the design of the game does not naturally promote that gameplay style. You can't argue to contain yourself in a single player bubble when the game forces you to be online and be exposed to the multiplayer element.

Demanding that players be willingly ignorant about the very same game they play in order to get the most enjoyment out of it is ridiculous.

A mindset that empowers you by making you willingly gimp yourself is laughably ironic.

...except that:

a) Diablo III is NOT being critized for being too easy, it simply is not. If you managed to exploit your way through the content by skipping mobs and farming resp chests and goblins for WEEKS without engaging in any real fights, you were "gimping yourself" already ;)
b) You are contradicting yourself, and you know it. If you are thinking about "needing something else to make this game hard", you are obviously at a point where you cannot be "willingly ignorant" about its system. Therefore, the only thing that stops you from having fun is YOU, not Blizzard or anyone else.
c) The average player did not play through Inferno. He does not need ironman challenges. He does not need hardcore. He needs some chance at a better gear and an easier curve. Which he will get.

I think you would be in a small minority though. So while I get your point, the game needs to be tailored to more than just the very very top elite player so to speak. Most people, even the good ones, can't pull 7 packs.

Maybe they need to implimenet a ladder system of some sort, but I would assume that sort of change would come with a major change via 1.1

SRTtoZ

Just got a Natalya's Shadow to drop with decent dex, vit, and three empty sockets. Pretty happy for it being my first set item and only my fourth legendary drop.

I sniped this chest from the Ah for a mil bid with 1 minute left. 80 dex/ 80 vital and hatred regen with 3 sockets that I put 42 dexs in.

Dahbomb

D3 needs a better end game. Simple as that. Inferno was beaten by most hardcores even before 1.03. This patch isn't going to matter to them much anyway, it's just going to make their farming easier which is their end goal anyway (farm as efficiently as possible).

More end game content would keep even the most hardcore players engaged.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
a) Diablo III is NOT being critized for being too easy, it simply is not.
That is a criticism from a portion of the player base. It's being criticized for being too easy and too hard at the same time, thus contributing to a crappy end game experience.

b) You are contradicting yourself, and you know it. If you are thinking about "needing something else to make this game hard", you are obviously at a point where you cannot be "willingly ignorant" about its system. Therefore, the only thing that stops you from having fun is YOU, not Blizzard or anyone else.
Um, if there's nothing else left to do in the game, how is that my fault? it's my fault that I can't invent wacky new ways to handicap myself?

c) The average player did not play through Inferno. He does not need ironman challenges. He does not need hardcore. He needs some chance at a better gear and an easier curve. Which he will get.
That's fine with me. I have no problems with any of the 1.0.4 changes. My issue was with the idea that players gimping themselves to cover up Blizzard's deficiencies at game design is not something that's cool.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I think you would be in a small minority though. So while I get your point, the game needs to be tailored to more than just the very very top elite player so to speak. Most people, even the good ones, can't pull 7 packs.

Maybe they need to implimenet a ladder system of some sort, but I would assume that sort of change would come with a major change via 1.1

Nor do I think it should be tailored to the top elite players. My stance is the same stance that jay Wilson espoused at a past Blizzcon in regards to their game design: to make games that casual gamers can get into and evolve to play at a hardcore level with the rest of the elites. Easy to learn, hard to master, stuff like that.

The design of Diablo 3 has been deficient in that goal since the entire spectrum of casual to hardcore get jammed into a one dimensional gameplay path that is all at once too easy for the hardcores and too hard for the casuals.

Nor do I think it should be tailored to the top elite players. My stance is the same stance that jay Wilson espoused at a past Blizzcon in regards to their game design: to make games that casual gamers can get into and evolve to play at a hardcore level with the rest of the elites. Easy to learn, hard to master, stuff like that.

The design of Diablo 3 has been deficient in that goal since the entire spectrum of casual to hardcore get jammed into a one dimensional gameplay path that is all at once too easy for the hardcores and too hard for the casuals.

TBH ... I'm not some elite player, but I sure as hell don't understand people who are having difficulty 1-60. I made it to the end of ACT II before the nerf and am completly confident I would have been just fine with the difficulty prior to the patch.

That being said, I'm not sure how you develop a game with such a wide variety of players. Unless you have some sort of a ladder system end game.

They did say they're working on something for us at the end game though, so there's hope at least.

D3 needs a better end game. Simple as that. Inferno was beaten by most hardcores even before 1.03. This patch isn't going to matter to them much anyway, it's just going to make their farming easier which is their end goal anyway (farm as efficiently as possible).

More end game content would keep even the most hardcore players engaged.
They should create a new, more casual end game option that forks at 60 rather than shuffling everybody into Inferno. Once they do that they can feel free to go psycho with Inferno difficulty and provide more rewarding drop rates there.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
That being said, I'm not sure how you develop a game with such a wide variety of players. Unless you have some sort of a ladder system end game.

By having an optional system where players can have the freedom to modify the difficulty in various and interesting ways in order to provide a challenge, while at the same time adjusting rewards so that those challenges are worthwhile to do.

Path of Exile approaches this issue with the customizable map system, to give one example.

I have also given other examples for Diablo 3 in the past of consumable drops that modify the current maps or bosses.

Opiate

...except that:

a) Diablo III is NOT being critized for being too easy, it simply is not.

That is absolutely my criticism. I said from the very outset that Inferno was too easy and it is now much, much too easy since the 1.0.3 nerfs. The game should be extremely difficult to get through. Blizzard said that Inferno would take 6 months to get through; that is what I wanted. It took me 1.5 months instead, which is unacceptable for a game I paid 60 dollars for.

If you managed to exploit your way through the content by skipping mobs and farming resp chests and goblins for WEEKS without engaging in any real fights, you were "gimping yourself" already ;)

Yes, I'm not talking about exploiting. It took me 1.5 months to do it legitimately. I'm just pointing this out to make it clear that some people very much did want the game to be hard, but it's apparent that most people are not interested in a challenge and are mostly or even exclusively interested in the randomized loot mechanic.

Yes, I'm not talking about exploiting. It took me 1.5 months to do it legitimately. I'm just pointing this out to make it clear that some people very much did want the game to be hard, but it's apparent that most people are not interested in a challenge and are mostly or even exclusively interested in the randomized loot mechanic.

I disagree that people don't want a difficult game. Everyone wants a challege. The conecpt of challenge is different for everyone though. Obviously the masses still think inferno is too tough regardless of whether is took you 1.5 months or not.

That doesn't mean something doens't need to be done for the people who are breezing through inferno, but the game would be an even bigger wasteland than it is today had Blizz has just take the stance of "Inferno is that tough ... deal with it"

Dahbomb

So in the spirit of the 1.04 patch... what skills would you guys specifically like to see buffed?

I think Fan of Knives and Strafe on DH are currently completely useless. In fact a ton of Hatred user moves for DH are pretty bad. I would also like to see a buff on the Multishot skill too. I also think that while Rapid Fire is a good skill it's hurt by the fact that you have to pay an initial cost to set it up and then start firing away... which really hurts you in the long run when you have to kite a lot.

On the Monk I think Dashing Strike needs to be made better in terms of utility (I want it to be targettable on the ground so I can dash without having to click on an enemy). I also want the recovery on the move to be toned down as well. Most of Monk's spells that aren't used are too costly for their benefits (like Wave of Light and Cyclone) so they definitely need to buff those.

eek5

So in the spirit of the 1.04 patch... what skills would you guys specifically like to see buffed?
I always thought inner sanctuary was a really cool skill on paper. Not sure how you could make it competitive/useful though.

I think dashing strike is really good. If they made it "ground targetable" for half the screen distance it would be a LOT better (similar to furious charge but not as far since it's no CD).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

I think Fan of Knives and Strafe on DH are currently completely useless. In fact a ton of Hatred user moves for DH are pretty bad. I would also like to see a buff on the Multishot skill too. I also think that while Rapid Fire is a good skill it's hurt by the fact that you have to pay an initial cost to set it up and then start firing away... which really hurts you in the long run when you have to kite a lot.

On the Monk I think Dashing Strike needs to be made better in terms of utility (I want it to be targettable on the ground so I can dash without having to click on an enemy). I also want the recovery on the move to be toned down as well. Most of Monk's spells that aren't used are too costly for their benefits (like Wave of Light and Cyclone) so they definitely need to buff those.

Fan of Knives is useful in a few builds, but the rune variety is terrible. Strafe is pretty much worthless most of the time.

rapid Fire hurts when you have to kite because it's not meant to be a kiting skill.

Multishot needs a buff, yeah, especially so that the low hatred rune is not the only good one.

Arcane Torrent could probably use some attention, along with most of the runes for Diamond Skin and Energy Armor.

The lightning element signature spells have never really appealed to me, neither the short range bolts or the one that zaps multiple mobs.

Also, I know they're popular, but I've almost never used Meteor, Blizzard, or the time bomb skill.

scosher

DH - Would love to see the casting time on Spike Traps reduced and Sentries being useful. Before release, I was hoping you could make viable Trap-based builds like Trapsins in D2, but they're pretty terrible and resource-intensive.

Wizard - Meteor increased damage; Slow Time being an aura that sticks with player; Lightning being made useful as a signature spell (Piercing Orb is just better than every Lightning rune). I really hope they don't nerf Wicked Wind though, as the CM builds were probably the only thing that kept me playing this game long after beating it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I always thought inner sanctuary was a really cool skill on paper. Not sure how you could make it competitive/useful though.

Increase the duration, increase the AOE, make life regen one of the base properties. Make it the reverse cyclone strike.

I'm trying to think of what skills I can give up.

MoC ... probably not
Breath of Heaven (15% dmg buff) ... maybe ...
Lashing tail kick ... maybe ... though I'v grown very accustomed to it
Serentity ... not a chance in hell
Sweeping wind ... mostly likely not ... especially with resolve.

I'm curious about what runes they might buff and if they buff any passives as well. Though I don't think I would change any of my passives.

eek5

I'm trying to think of what skills I can give up.

MoC ... probably not
Breath of Heaven (15% dmg buff) ... maybe ...
Lashing tail kick ... maybe ... though I'v grown very accustomed to it
Serentity ... not a chance in hell
Sweeping wind ... mostly likely not ... especially with resolve.

I'm curious about what runes they might buff and if they buff any passives as well. Though I don't think I would change any of my passives.

MoR is going to get a HUUUUGE buff! lol

eek5

Increase the duration, increase the AOE, make life regen one of the base properties. Make it the reverse cyclone strike.

One cool thing would be to neutralize any ground DoT. It'd be a really cool solo/team skill. I don't know if it'd be OP but it'd definitely worth considering giving up a skill for.

larvi

I like fan of knives on my DH, it's great for when you first approach a mob and sharpshooter has my crit chance at 100%, it does a bunch of damage and will take out a most normals in range (I use the increased radius rune) and put a dent in elites. I also use it for crowd control when I get vortexed into a pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom