• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT3| Tyrael Looted: {[El'druin]}

Question....why does everyone want to speed level so quickly? I'm about to jump into Diablo 3 in my first season, and it seems like everyone has a specific goal of blowing through. Is it to work on getting high level gear as soon as possible or what?

Because unlike something like Path of Exile, leveling in Diablo 3 is more a chore to get to max level where you can resume the RNG-based farming max-level of items, sets, paragon levels and mats (where under-leveled items don't matter at all beyond Cubing them). There is no value to wasting time leveling slowly and pretty big risk as clan members and friends can off and leave you *far* behind.

Seasonal play in D3 is very much like riding a wave or catching a comet: be there on time and level ASAP so you can get to paragon leveling and farming with a group. The sooner you get to 70, the sooner you can get to the content that matters.

Question....why does everyone want to speed level so quickly? I'm about to jump into Diablo 3 in my first season, and it seems like everyone has a specific goal of blowing through. Is it to work on getting high level gear as soon as possible or what?

To add to this, you have to understand that it's the 6th season, a lot of people have played every season, or most seasons, and have leveled every class already, or most classes. Leveling doesn't change in D3, it's the same everytime, due to the set rate of skill acquisition. If I level a DH again, it's basically the exact same process as the last 5+ times I leveled a DH. I mean it's slightly different than vanilla in terms of gameplay, but not even that much(and that was several years ago with a lot of skills changed). Mostly I'll just chakram/multishot stuff until max level, with a basic vault/prep/companion/hatred builder with hatred rune and one skill that depends on my current gear and stuff.

That means that if I were to play DH again, the leveling process would be extremely boring, it's not new, or interesting. Difficulty is low(and increasing difficulty just makes everything takes forever to kill without really increasing difficulty), and most of the game is about getting sets and climbing GR levels, so the faster I get to max level the better.

You can actually consider Paragon and Greater Rifts levels as the actual progression in the game. You reach 70 asap to start the real season progression.

Note that if you haven't played the game to cap, or you haven't played a particular class to cap, it makes perfect sense to instead take your time. There isn't a need to rush. If you haven't played since the release of RoS or even vanilla, there's a lot of new stuff to do and find.

Even if you don't rush though you'll reach max level in a day/a couple of days, it's just that kind of game now. Unless you do like story or whatever then it's kinda slower, but just discovering your class and doing bounties instead of spamming rifts and not doing the efficient start or getting leoric's crown or leveling in a grp or whatever, it still only takes like less than 10hours to reach cap. Around 5 if you don't do story and don't play on a difficulty that's inefficient, even without optimization and counting various breaks.

Ploid 3.0

Found some weird spider head cosmeitc last night. if anyone needs the transmog just hit me up when I'm on.

Is it this?

tMixQqT.png

I kinda wish this stuff was around last season. It makes my thorn Crusader look even thornier.

Come on Friday, Everytime a season is about to start it's like I'm waiting on a game to launch where the only thing I want to do is play the thing I can't play yet. Though I can play it in D3 patch 2.4.1 but I like the fresh start and empty stash, rebuilding from 0.

mileS

Come on Friday, Everytime a season is about to start it's like I'm waiting on a game to launch where the only thing I want to do is play the thing I can't play yet. Though I can play it in D3 patch 2.4.1 but I like the fresh start and empty stash, rebuilding from 0.

I know right? I even wait to sort stash a week into the next season as well (not very smart I know)

Wallach

I hear you but part of the reason my gear is so good is becuase I *didn't* salvage everything just because it wasn't in vogue at the moment. Shit like the Chantodo's pieces...various random pieces of Wiz gear that previously had no set to go with or no major use? Their habit of randomly buffing obscure shit into relevance (if not right into the spotlight) is hard to ignore. So I keep good things.

Yeah it's happened a bunch of times, but I think that is part of why I don't play non-seasonal anymore. I got no interest in trying to keep up with that part of the game, I'd rather just read the notes and think about how it applies to the next season. In the cases where I actually feel like playing in the seasonal breaks I just do it on the PS4 version anymore where none of that stuff really applies.

Ayumi

Found some weird spider head cosmeitc last night. if anyone needs the transmog just hit me up when I'm on.
Aren't they account bound? And wouldn't it only work within the share party timer? I got a pet last night, while it was a normal white drop, I do recall it saying account bound. Are cosmetics different? I haven't gotten one yet so I dunno how it works.

MrDaravon

Aren't they account bound? And wouldn't it only work within the share party timer? I got a pet last night, while it was a normal white drop, I do recall it saying account bound. Are cosmetics different? I haven't gotten one yet so I dunno how it works.

IIRC the new white items for the weapon/armor transmogs are shareable at any time because they're just white items, there's no trading restriction on white items because why would there be. People just aren't really largely worrying about those right now as there's no indication these transmogs would carry over into seasons (historically only Season Reward and CE transmogs have).

Cipherr

Did a practice run last night and did 1-70 + izual + GR20 in like 3.5 hours,

Damn that's crazy fast....

I was thinking about WD but I'm just not really feeling it. I feel like more people will be playing WD than DH, but I think I'm gonna go DH anyway this season. I guess Ill try learning how to play a support DH and see if I can get GR groups at max level doing that. Probably will be shaky, but I didn't do a whole lot of that last season either and I still had a good time, so I'm gonna give it a shot.

Ayumi

IIRC the new white items for the weapon/armor transmogs are shareable at any time because they're just white items, there's no trading restriction on white items because why would there be. People just aren't really largely worrying about those right now as there's no indication these transmogs would carry over into seasons (historically only Season Reward and CE transmogs have).
Oh that's nice. Here's to hoping some Chinese botters discard them in town in public games (not that I imagine them doing bounties/regular rifts for other reasons).

Baliis

I was thinking about WD but I'm just not really feeling it. I feel like more people will be playing WD than DH, but I think I'm gonna go DH anyway this season. I guess Ill try learning how to play a support DH and see if I can get GR groups at max level doing that. Probably will be shaky, but I didn't do a whole lot of that last season either and I still had a good time, so I'm gonna give it a shot.

Having run again tonight, I think I'm gonna stick with soloing non rifts though, that was all rifts. Once you get haunt and can just chain through HoA with it, you level crazy fast. A lot of runs I was getting 2-3 levels per all the way up into the 50s unless I got a bad map. Then just do the butcher when its the bounty when I have fetishes to keep my yellows up to date. Had a pretty solid 2.5ish hour time doing that.

Wallach

To me it always feels like WD doesn't wind up that popular regardless of how strong they are, whereas DH always has a pretty high population. I think that comes down to the solo farming experience being a lot more straightforward for the DH than the WD. Especially so with the Haedrig's Gift this season giving out Marauder compared to Zunimassa which takes more time to get rolling. I expect DH and Monk will remain the most played classes this season, followed by Wiz, Barb, WD, with Crusaders falling off again pulling up the rear.

Support DH looks like it will be doing better than it ever has in the past, and I imagine that'll help ensure DH numbers remain high this season.

Ayumi

Would Monk be better for me than WD on S6 if I don't have much time to play, but want to get stuff done? I can still play (except next week since it's Golden Week & I'm busy) in the evenings sometimes, but not as much as most.

How good are WDs for soloing if I don't want to party/don't have a party that can I can support?

Tentatively leaning WD as something new, but I'm more comfortable with Monk otherwise.

Wallach

How good are WDs for soloing if I don't want to party/don't have a party that can I can support?

Tentatively leaning WD as something new, but I'm more comfortable with Monk otherwise.

From what I've experimented with in WD 2.4.1, they seem to be in a pretty good place solo.

Thing is, the playstyle for the absolute highest GR potential is not for everyone. I'm not sure where Jade Harvester taps out, but otherwise it is mostly pet-oriented builds, either Helltooth w/ Gargantuan setups (which you really don't do much of anything yourself and rifts with doors that have to be broken down become your enemy) or LoN Carnevil builds where you have some regular CDs to recast and learn how to position well for darts (and also like any LoN setup requires a lot more farming).

It's also definitely an adjustment coming from Monk in terms of speed farming TX for deebs or speed bounties. Not sure they'll have anything as potent as Dashing Strike spam builds but they can definitely haul ass still. Generally for speed farming I think people generally do either speedchicken builds (there are Arachyr/Firebats or Helltooth Gargantuan setups for that) or LoN "Walker" builds where you just kind of run around and have Blazing Locusts & Gargantuans kill everything while you gather the loot. The "Walker" setup scales pretty well so once you're farmed up a bit and really looking for the consistent high speed build for farming you're probably looking at ~2 minute TX clears.

moojito

Can you only have one seasonal character on the go at a time? I want to try out the DH this time around but I do love me some WD. I played a tiny bit of last season as WD, but had no idea what I was doing and stopped playing at level 65.

Wallach

Can you only have one seasonal character on the go at a time? I want to try out the DH this time around but I do love me some WD. I played a tiny bit of last season as WD, but had no idea what I was doing and stopped playing at level 65.

No, you can make as many as you want. The only real restriction is that you can only collect Haedrig's Gift (the free set you can earn by completing a few challenges on a seasonal character) once per account per season.

Ayumi

Things I learned: Mysterious Chest in Mysterious Cave does not count! (The ones with the wings are white chests, the one in the cave is golden like rep. chests).

Fortunately it only took 1 visit to the cave to find out. lol

h3ro

The DH multiplicative buffs are SO DAMN GOOD!

Went from GR75 completion with a few seconds left in 2.4 to GR80 with 6 minutes left with basically the same gear!

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Having run again tonight, I think I'm gonna stick with soloing non rifts though, that was all rifts. Once you get haunt and can just chain through HoA with it, you level crazy fast. A lot of runs I was getting 2-3 levels per all the way up into the 50s unless I got a bad map. Then just do the butcher when its the bounty when I have fetishes to keep my yellows up to date. Had a pretty solid 2.5ish hour time doing that.

Reviewing this guide, I think the big difference is you don't get massacre bonuses in rifts.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/4gsv5l/my_241_season_6_fast_leveling_guide_update_filled/
so in HoA you'd often be getting 3-4x experience with chain kills like that.

Baliis

Reviewing this guide, I think the big difference is you don't get massacre bonuses in rifts.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/4gsv5l/my_241_season_6_fast_leveling_guide_update_filled/
so in HoA you'd often be getting 3-4x experience with chain kills like that.

Yup. You also get significantly more exp now as well in the new patch because the difficulty bonus also multiplies the massacre bonus XP. A 400 kill streak gives you 12x XP now on master instead of 6x which is crazy huge.

Firemind

I have watched 3 videos today and I still don't know whether Vyr or FB is the best Archon set. :lol

From what I understand FB is squishier and requires you to look for elites to get the bonus. Vyr is tankier but I guess the bonus is more gradual since you get stacks just from your punches, which I reckon is nice to have if you're going high grifts. And FB got nerfed a bit, so... yeah, still don't know if Vyr or FB is better.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm having a tough time deciding which class to take into this season. I usually play wizard and he is by FAR my best geared character so I want to play something else this time. Are barbarians in a good spot for Season 6? How about crusaders? The last time I played my crusader he seemed to be a slow runner for rifts, but that was a few seasons ago...

I've decided with my now non-seasonal Monks that I can't bring myself to erase to just make each 1 a different monk set/build (keeping my character from last season as SWK). Tested out Uliana's for the first time in a while last night, and there's something deeply satisfying about that build. Haven't setup my Inna's Monk yet before the season starts, not really looking forward to that set imo.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I've decided with my now non-seasonal Monks that I can't bring myself to erase to just make each 1 a different monk set/build (keeping my character from last season as SWK). Tested out Uliana's for the first time in a while last night, and there's something deeply satisfying about that build. Haven't setup my Inna's Monk yet before the season starts, not really looking forward to that set imo.

Hmmm. That inspires me to actually have 1 character for each set now too. I never play hardcore anyway

Things I learned: Mysterious Chest in Mysterious Cave does not count! (The ones with the wings are white chests, the one in the cave is golden like rep. chests).

Fortunately it only took 1 visit to the cave to find out. lol

I just started reading patch notes today (shame) but this really peaked my interests. Always played DH until last season when I swapped to WD. Might head back to DH. Also pets finally damaging those primordials!? Either class I run with I'm pumped.

Ayumi

I just started reading patch notes today (shame) but this really peaked my interests. Always played DH until last season when I swapped to WD. Might head back to DH. Also pets finally damaging those primordials!? Either class I run with I'm pumped.

I think you quoted the wrong post/person. :3

w4ttsup

Coming back to SC this season. I really enjoyed HC but all my real life friends play SC so I found I was soloing 99% of the time.

Going to roll WD for the first time.

MrDaravon

After about 60 or so runs finally got the Raven Wings yesterday (no one else was on lol). Up to about 80ish runs in Whimseyshire with no luck on Sir William, good God. Grinding that out the last couple of days on my DH has just reconfirmed I'm gonna go DH again this season lol. I love the MS gameplay too much, I'll probably try to roll a Monk as secondary sooner rather than later though.

I shoulllllld also be around tonight, I have a midshift tomorrow so I can stay up kinda late but seeing reports of people going 1-70 solo in 3-4 hours makes me think it won't be quite the grind as it has been previously.

Xanathus

After about 60 or so runs finally got the Raven Wings yesterday (no one else was on lol). Up to about 80ish runs in Whimseyshire with no luck on Sir William, good God. Grinding that out the last couple of days on my DH has just reconfirmed I'm gonna go DH again this season lol. I love the MS gameplay too much, I'll probably try to roll a Monk as secondary sooner rather than later though.

I shoulllllld also be around tonight, I have a midshift tomorrow so I can stay up kinda late but seeing reports of people going 1-70 solo in 3-4 hours makes me think it won't be quite the grind as it has been previously.

If you're farming cosmetics you should just join the "Cosmetics Farming" community so that if you (or someone else) finds a drop then you can invite other people to get the drop as well.

MrDaravon

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Hmmm. That inspires me to actually have 1 character for each set now too. I never play hardcore anyway

Yeah I'm not gonna rebirth any of my characters this season either, but instead start a second character of a class to keep alongside the characters I already have. I mean really, whats the difference between keeping sets on mules versus keeping them on other playable level 70's? It's actually MORE preferable to have multiple 70's of each class, that way you can at any time pick your Archon wizard or you Firebird wizard and just jump right in and play them without having to rearrange sets and gems and such.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Yeah I'm not gonna rebirth any of my characters this season either, but instead start a second character of a class to keep alongside the characters I already have. I mean really, whats the difference between keeping sets on mules versus keeping them on other playable level 70's? It's actually MORE preferable to have multiple 70's of each class, that way you can at any time pick your Archon wizard or you Firebird wizard and just jump right in and play them without having to rearrange sets and gems and such.

yeah, exactly. i do like keeping the hours in one pool, but thats the only drawback

MrDaravon

Yeah, only drawback with that is if there's shared legendary gems across the builds. I've got three separate DH's from past seasons (before Rebirth was an option) and one each of all the other classes since I really only mostly play DH. Going forward I'm going to keep my two extra DH classes for funsies (and also I'd feel oddly bad deleting them since they're named after our cats lol) and just rebirth my main DH character every season just for gametime rollover purposes. Most previous season I just wound up making a DH with the same name as my main and deleting it after the season anyway.

I think I finally decided I'm going to roll a Monk in SC this season. Anyone hearing if Monks are going to be halfway decent with changes that are coming up?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm also tempted to go Monk, but simply because i love that Exploding Palm set that make everything go BOOM.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I think I finally decided I'm going to roll a Monk in SC this season. Anyone hearing if Monks are going to be halfway decent with changes that are coming up?

Yup, their free set is good, they can farm TX quickly and they have a place in GR groups (zDPS). Looks like they're the most popular class. Many people just want to get the stash tab without going much further into the grind.

Edit: found the poll, http://www.strawpoll.me/10050019

sqwarlock

Played DH and Wiz last season, tempted to go Wiz and Monk this one. Just not sure which one to claim the free set for. Had a lot of fun with my DMO wizard but was late to the game since my DH got the free set.

Don't know that I've ever done Inna's monk though. Is it fun?

Baliis

L O L

https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/4gzv4f/i_think_i_just_found_a_potentially_gamebreaking/

tl;dr is it looks like you might be able to keep 100 stacks of Endless Walk without having to have the ring/ammy equipped (you actually salvage them while having them equipped but it apparently doesn't drop the buff). Why does this shit always happen right when seasons are about to start.

Hm hopefully they hotfix it, but I don't think it would make a big difference. Have to salvage the item, so you need a new one every time you wanna do it and doesn't persist if you leave the game which makes it useless for fishing. Also no one in that thread seems to be able to confirm if you actually keep the buff or if it's just a visual bug.

mileS

Not sure what I'm rolling with this season. First urge was Monk. I've had at least 3 seasonal ones already though, and it seems like most of us here are going Monk. WD and DH I've played the least of. Opinions?

Top Bottom