• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DICE offered Battlefield to Nintendo as a Gamecube exclusive

As just revealed on the 2nd Annual NWR Live Podcast for Child's Play (http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/sitenews/28313) "Rick Powers" (a pseudonym) who was privy to Nintendo's inner workings during the GCN era, told a story in which DICE came to Nintendo with Battlefield, which was proposed as a Nintendo console exclusive. Though there was much excitement over the title within Nintendo, it never reached fruition because of the Gamecube's basically non-existent online infrastructure.

Enosh

imagine
BF3 a wii exclusive

I wonder how well it would have done, GC is same gen as xbox isn't it?
well there are still the online problems

MisterHero

The only one that was serious at the time was MS

you needed peripherals for PS2 and GC

and GC had an online game early in its life, so it could be done, but the publisher provided their own service (to be fair to EA, Sega's service was set up way before PSO GC)

It's curious for EA of all developers to lament the lack of an Online infrastructure, because they almost backed out of supporting Xbox Live (control issues I think?)

1-D_FTW

A Gamecube exclusive? Well, let's all be thankful that didn't happen.

Console exclusive. So, yeah, much better to have had it on nothing.

Wait, that was better. They probably would have ditched post release PC support and expansions for $$$ in console land. Thank you, Nintendo.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I suspect it would still have come out on PC - console exclusive doesn't necessarily mean not on PC as well.
I'd rather still be safe in the knowledge that it never touched a console. It's probably why BF1942 and BF2 are as timeless as they are now.

Yes, the original Battlefield. The Battlefield series would not see a console release until 2005's Battlefield 2: Modern Combat for PS2 and Xbox.

As just revealed on the 2nd Annual NWR Live Podcast for Child's Play (http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/sitenews/28313) "Rick Powers" (a pseudonym) who was privy to Nintendo's inner workings during the GCN era, told a story in which DICE came to Nintendo with Battlefield, which was proposed as a Nintendo console exclusive. Though there was much excitement over the title within Nintendo, it never reached fruition because of the Gamecube's basically non-existent online infrastructure.

They should have offered it to Sega as a dreamcast exclusive.

I imagine if Nintendo was truly in love with the idea they would have pushed bundling the game with the GCN network adapter. It wasn't said one way or another if they indeed did try this, however.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I think this worked out for the best for everybody, well, save Nintendo, but I don't think Battlefield would have had much impact as a Nintendo title anyway.

(._.)

Banned
It is hilarious to me how far behind Nintendo is when it comes to internet features for their devices. They say they don't care but it is definitely affect them in a sense.

It is hilarious to me how far behind Nintendo is when it comes to internet features for their devices. They say they don't care but it is definitely affect them in a sense.

I still remember having to drive like 40 minutes to the only WalMart I could find that carried the broadband adapter, dropping $50 on it just to play PSO for a couple months and literally never using it again.

Anth0ny

biggest opportunity lost since

SNES-CD.jpg

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
It could have worked. I can see Battlefield having a more cartoonish look while maintaining its high quality.

18-Volt

Japan doesn't care. Nintendo don't care because they don't. And everybody knows well that Nintendo only cares about Japan. Good old Japan. Nowhere else, only Japan.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Oh man TheSeks would have died of rage with the blue shell.

THE BLUE SHELL IS OVERPOWERED! DAMN YOU DICE!!

Osuwari

Nintendo: master of the missed opportunities.

if there was a time machine, these guys could monopolize the industry.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
And then they went to the X-box with 1942 and that got canceled.

That said, I don't believe it. Which third party in their right mind would go to Nintendo after the death of the SNES? Practically no one buys third party titles on Nintendo consoles and it shows. >_>

Top Bottom