• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dice Summit: "nobody talking about the new WiiU projects they started, only canceled"

GulAtiCa

I'd have to guess it's retail only, as the eShop games have already come out and mentioned they were happy with their results.

Sid

But Panic Mode this holiday season when PS4/720 is released and the first real wave of Nintendo games is released?

Fuck yeah, if Wii U hasn't picked up by then (it won't), I'm guessing Nintendo is going to do some crazy shit to combatant the new consoles.
This is about the third party support for the WiiU.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
But Panic Mode this holiday season when PS4/720 is released and the first real wave of Nintendo games is released?

Fuck yeah, if Wii U hasn't picked up by then (it won't), I'm guessing Nintendo is going to do some crazy shit to combatant the new consoles.

I think the hype for next gen might be too much. Mario and other titles didn't exactly save the Gamecube.

No chance. It'd be mad to think they'd sell anything like that.

No it wouldn't. Assassins Creed 3 and BLOPS 2 are the biggest games released on the system. I'm sure considering how much they sell on other platforms that there's a real chance they would hope for something better than tens of thousands.

What else could it be? There's nothing else.

I think the hype for next gen might be too much. Mario and other titles didn't exactly save the Gamecube.

Yeah I think it's over for Nintendo, as far as higher goals go. They are now in a space where they need to recoup credibility, so the best bet is to commit to the core and really put some big new projects in the furnace and hope that by the end of the generation they sold enough and have regained some faith among core gamers, so that they can come out much stronger with their next system.

And it's time to offer a bunch of incentives to 3rd parties...

DR2K

Banned
Tahts the kind of not nintendo bonus you get. No matter how dou did last gen and how you do now

If nintendo - doomed
If not nintendo - will be succesful in time

I believe ouya will probably get more support than wiiu

3rd parties generally have difficulties selling on Nintendo consoles historically. This wasn't the case with PS1 or PS2.

Tahts the kind of not nintendo bonus you get. No matter how dou did last gen and how you do now

If nintendo - doomed
If not nintendo - will be succesful in time

I believe ouya will probably get more support than wiiu

Yeah, because everyone keeps saying the Vita is just fi- oh wait.

MrHicks

Banned
nintendo would go broke trying to do the same stuff sony and ms are doing
high tech HD route

the shitty tech + additional "standout" unique gimmick route sucks too

so they are fucked

GulAtiCa

We need support on that end too, did DS ever TRULY take off at least in it's first year or so in NA?

Nope, the DS was kind of dead it's first year. The 3DS may have had a slight drought early on before Star Fox 64 (with some games in between before that like Zelda OOT 3D). But the DS had nearly no games (of worth) for many months before it's 2nd holiday. It's 2nd holiday with Mario Kart DS helped a lot if I remember, but the system didn't truly explode in sales for another year or 2.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Out of curiosity, can anyone tell me who the original poster is?
(Like reputation on info and such).

PikPok head dev, formerly Sidhe who published Gripshift and Shatter on multiple platforms, and now is working on mobile stuff. This guy knows what's up.

edit- beaten

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah? So? Whats that have to do with me being excited for Panic Mode Nintendo? Panic Mode Nintendo is partially a result of third party support dropping, so it's relevant.

It just seems weird to bring up nintendo making a bunch of games as a result of panicking when the problem is no third party support. It's not going to do anything to fix that problem, if anything it'll make it worse since third parties seem to blame nintendo games for their low sales.

flattie

high budget Wii U game that was hoping to sell "millions"

Zombi U surely. Unless third parties are so delusional they consider their shitty ports high budget and expect to sell millions over launch?

ZombiU was confirmed as having a relatively modest budget in an interview with Ubisoft prior to launch. Indeed, I think that correlates nicely with the fact that, having played through it, nothing in-game suggests that it had a significant budget. Nice game nonetheless.

Yeah? So? Whats that have to do with me being excited for Panic Mode Nintendo? Panic Mode Nintendo is partially a result of third party support dropping, so it's relevant.

What? Am not sure if you are trolling or delusional here Mana.

Panic mode Nintendo cut the price and stuck to a launch schedule.

GulAtiCa

No it wouldn't. Assassins Creed 3 and BLOPS 2 are the biggest games released on the system. I'm sure considering how much they sell on other platforms that there's a real chance they would hope for something better than tens of thousands.

What else could it be? There's nothing else.

I really think it's BLOPS2, as Assassins Creed 3 can't be it. Esp since that game was a month old port by the time it came out. Ubisoft would be dumb to think that people who truely wanted the game would have waited as long.

Price Drop/Ambassador Program probably aren't as "off the table" as some thought. This is pretty much the exact reason it happened on 3DS, publishers scaling back behind the scenes.

It just seems weird to bring up nintendo making a bunch of games as a result of panicking when the problem is no third party support. It's not going to do anything to fix that problem, if anything it'll make it worse since third parties seem to blame nintendo games for their low sales.

Third party has always blamed Nintendo for low sales. It's nothing new. Third party support on Nintendo consoles have been shit since 1996. Wii U will be no different.

nintendo would go broke trying to do the same stuff sony and ms are doing
high tech HD route

the shitty tech + additional "standout" unique gimmick route sucks too

so they are fucked

If they had a real standout gimmick this time round, they'd be fine. At least for selling their own games.

Problem is they've completely misjudged the market. Nobody wants a shitty tablet.

Nope, the DS was kind of dead it's first year. The 3DS may have had a slight drought early on before Star Fox 64 (with some games in between before that like Zelda OOT 3D). But the DS had nearly no games (of worth) for many months before it's 2nd holiday. It's 2nd holiday with Mario Kart DS helped a lot if I remember, but the system didn't truly explode in sales for another year or 2.

Yeah, it seems Nintendo's had a history of slumps in the first year or so, Wii might've been the exception, but maybe only thanks to Wii Sports, I don't remember 3rd-parties other than Red Steel (and Sonic & the Secret Rings) leaving a mark early on.

We need those Directs Nintendo! :(

Not a surprise for me. Wii U is way too weak for the next gen gamer, so they just won't buy it. Everyone is talking about PS4 and 720. The persons who buy it are mainly just Nintendo Fans, for the Nintendo games and not for multi games. Furthermore, Wii U is too overpriced, because the hardware is only on PS3 level.

My guess is zombiiU + COD.

that's it.

We'll see what happens when ubisoft's space aliens wiiU game comes out. If they can rejig it to be non-exclusive, I expect them to make that announcment too following what they did to RML.

Kysen

The game they were expecting to sell 10s of thousands would be ZombieU, it also explains the Rayman decision. Some exec probably saw how poorly ZombieU sold and thought releasing another exclusive would be suicide.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So I have an honest question here...is there any reason why Nintendo can't survive as a major third party player if it comes down to that?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
3DS launch history repeat itself.
Not really? People assumed third parties would latch onto the 3DS over time off of the success of the DS alone, and the fact that the Vita was poised from the start not to do nearly as well. The same cannot be said for the WiiU which was, for lack of better words, doomed like the Wii from the start.

Worst case scenario for the platform is that I get some nintendo ass nintendo games for it and that's it. That's worth it for me and why I bought it. If you were expecting more than that then I don't know what to tell you.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It really depends on the pricing, in my opinion. That'll be the main factor.

Considering Iwata said they're not dropping the price anytime soon because the system is still being sold at a loss... I guess it'll be interesting to see what PS4/Xbox are priced at in comparison.

Selling millions on a new launched console that, by Nintendos own ridicolous estimates should have had an install base of 5.5 million by march (we all know that would never have happend) ... Sorry, but no way that goal was ever realistic, that would mean that nearly every consumer who bought a Wii U will also buy this game. Some publisher have really good shrooms in the meals it seems ...

This statement also means one thing: They never wanted to support the platform, that goal screams for "Our games dont sell on Nintendo consoles".

Nevertheless, not looking good for western support. Nintendo should just tell those 3rds to fuck off, cater the japanese ones and their own first and second party games. I don't think Nintendo could have done anything, making a Durango/Orbis like platform or the Wii U as it is, they would have gotten abysmal support in the west.

Kouriozan

I had a data point yesterday at lunch with a high budget Wii U game that was hoping to sell "millions" over time. It only managed "tens of thousands".
Selling millions on an initial install base of 0, what?
Some guys needs to take marketing lessons.

Bururian

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm mainly in Nintendo for handhelds and first party titles. 3rd party disappoints me too much these days.

RoKKeR

Right now is the time Nintendo should be capitalizing on big first party releases, not later in the year. Already the hype for next gen is massive, and combating that with what, Zelda, just isn't going to do the trick this fall.

I really think it's BLOPS2, as Assassins Creed 3 can't be it. Esp since that game was a month old port by the time it came out. Ubisoft would be dumb to think that people who truely wanted the game would have waited as long.

It's not like Wii only owners had the chance to play the game.

Also, the funniest part IMO is "high budget game". I don't see anything high budget from 3rd parties on Wii U.

So Assassins Creed on Ps3 and PC and Wii U is a low budget game because it's a port?

That doesn't make any sense.

Do movies become low budget when they are released in Blu Ray?

We already saw it somewhat. They released that "panic mode" Nintendo Direct to announce a bunch of stuff that's too far off in the future.

but it worked though. Some people were like OMFG wiiU games. But then they're all TBD. and farrr off. WWHD is a stopgap by nintendo itself to plug a hole.

entremet

So I have an honest question here...is there any reason why Nintendo can't survive as a major third party player if it comes down to that?

That's not Nintendo. The've adamantly said that without their own hardware they will not be in business.

Top Bottom