• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dice Summit: "nobody talking about the new WiiU projects they started, only canceled"

It's not like Wii only owners had the chance to play the game.

So Assassins Creed on Ps3 and PC and Wii U is a low budget game because it's a port?

That doesn't make any sense.

Do movies become low budget when they are released in Blu Ray?

I doubt the Wii U port had a big budget.

Mario also said:

I don't have much of an opinion on what they might achieve in terms of an install base. But my general opinion is this next console generation is going to fail. The infrastructure for retail sales is crumbling, console platform manufacturers are still wanting to control content and prices too much, and the shift to other platforms (of consumers and dev support) in the meantime has been significant (my reasoning is more nuanced, but those are the big ticket items).

So before Nintendo fans get their panties in a bunch, he's not saying Nintendo is doomed...alone.

prwxv3

That's nice. Why didn't PS3 projects get cancelled en masse when that had a shitty launch? Like the Wii U, the PS3 was the follow-up to the previous generations market leader. I see situational parity.

I don't know what's funnier: the fact that a Wii U third-party launch game was said to be "high budget" or that a million copies of sales was expected in the window from launch to now. I wouldn't put it past EA making that statement about Mass Effect 3. They have the capacity to be both that arrogant and dumb.

They were just moved to multiplatform

Derrick01

Banned
The amount of doom and gloom surrounding this launch is incredible. Iwata has his work cut out for him trying to turn this around before everyone jumps on the 720/PS4 bandwagon.

That ship has sailed. The first offical next gen reveal is happening in less than 2 weeks and the train will only continue to roll ahead in the following months until E3. The only hope they have is both companies really screwing the reveal and launch of their systems up as bad as they did.

Drago

This sounds pretty fucking atrocious.

WiiU has a very rough road ahead of it. They're going to need to be extremely agressive in the coming years. It's gonna be fun to watch...

FyreWulff

Read the OP. The projection was that they would sell a million over time on the WiiU platform. Not straight away.

Let's see. Over time?

AC, CoD, and Skylanders are on yearly refresh cycles. The refresh would decimate sales for the launch game. No sane business plan would expect evergreen sales.

So that pretty much means the game in question would be Epic Mickey 2.

Yeah, that's true. I wonder what will happen to Nintendo...it's kinda strange to think we might know by the end of this year.

I think if Nintendo is in trouble - real, layoff-discussing trouble - the biggest investors are going to demand a change.

In that respect, I imagine we won't know anything except knowing that we have no idea where it will go. For better or worse, this is their bed, all they can do is is tug at the sheets until it's more comfortable.

This metaphor is becoming strained, but I mean all they can do is hope software hits hard, regardless of what changes happen at upper levels.

If it doesn't, if it is a product the market fundamentally does not want regardless of software and price, then they probably have enough in the bank to hold off a generation, maybe two. But the more they do that, the more vulnerable they are to hostile takeovers since they'd be spending the money they'd need to use to buy back their own stock.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I wonder if it will be more dead to third parties than the Wii, though. There was still some measure of interesting Western development on Wii. Epic Mickey, de Blob, Dead Space: Extraction, Boom Blox, some Ubisoft titles...there were some things worth mentioning.

I wonder if we will ever see that here.
The Wii had a massive install base developers could chase. The developers of the titles you listed are now mostly dead studios as well.

goomba

Banned
It's so weird. GAF has many posters that are astute market analysts and they all seemed certain that Wii's success meant that the WiiU was also going to succeed, in spite of all the worrying sales data. Could it be they were wrong?

Define success .

I don't think anyone expected WiiU to do as well as Wii.

-MB-

The fact they abandon ship so fast is proof in my eyes they never wanted the wiiu to take off for 3rd party titles.

GC|Simon

high budget Wii U game that was hoping to sell "millions"

Zombi U surely. Unless third parties are so delusional they consider their shitty ports high budget and expect to sell millions over launch?

The only one which makes sense for me. But blaming Nintendo and/or the Wii U is a bit too easy. The game got some very bad reviews which had for sure their effect on sales. Personally I absolutely love the game and recommend it to anyone - but IGN's opinion is far more powerful than mine.

JABEE

Selling millions on an initial install base of 0, what?
Some guys needs to take marketing lessons.
You missed over time. A lot of launch titles end up selling more because they are the only quality title available for months. If something sells 30,000 copies in it's first three months for example, it's never going to make it.

daxgame

Selling millions on an initial install base of 0, what?
Some guys needs to take marketing lessons.

LOL really. This must be a troll, right?
There is no "high budget Wii U game" in the launch lineup, unless we're talking about a port. And in that case, this doesn't make any sense.
As for ZombiU, we know the game has sold way over 100k

by the way, Nintendo should be concerned

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That ship has sailed. The first offical next gen reveal is happening in less than 2 weeks and the train will only continue to roll ahead in the following months until E3. The only hope they have is both companies really screwing the reveal and launch of their systems up as bad as they did.

That would be pretty hard to do overall though, right?

I mean, it's pretty clear there's a ton of third party games in development for them, so unless they price astronomically high, they have a lot of the work of selling them offloaded to other publishers.

What's the worst case scenario here? I think that's something worth asking. Nintendo definitely won't fold or close up shop or release their Wii U successor a year from now but what is the realistic worst case.

At worst it seems like they just have a subpar console generation, perhaps some shifts in management (aka Iwata loses his current position), and Nintendo spends the rest of the generation trying to maintain as much as an audience as possible with their 1st party titles while 3rd parties remain largely absent for the console.

That's not THAT terrible is it? I mean if this worst case happens I think the real major shift will be after this generation. How does Nintendo respond to this. To me this isn't anything like the Gamecube generation because there's so much new stuff in todays context that change the game.

edit: I guess it could be terrible because they risk becoming irrelevant but I can't imagine that completely happening.

Haunted

It's so weird. GAF has many posters that are astute market analysts and they all seemed certain that Wii's success meant that the WiiU was also going to succeed, in spite of all the worrying sales data. Could it be they were wrong?
The best part about GAF armchair analysts is that we have so many, someone will always be wrong.

I anticipated WiiU to sell more simply because it was going to be a new console finally releasing. While hindsight is 20/20, I still don't know whether I overestimated people's console fatigue or if the WiiU's appeal in the face of existing console and tablet offers isn't exciting enough.

Taurus

The amount of doom and gloom surrounding this launch is incredible. Iwata has his work cut out for him trying to turn this around before everyone jumps on the 720/PS4 bandwagon.
People expecting X8 and PS4 to be massive success' right from the start are in for an unpleasant surprise. Market has changed and the global economy is even worse.

It'll be funny yet sad if WiiU comes right and ends up beating ps4 and xb3 then more third parties starve to death because they backed the wrong horse (again)

Could it be scribblenaughts ?
Those same devs/publishers regret betting on the wrong horse too(forgot which dev said it).

That's nice. Why didn't PS3 projects get cancelled en masse when that had a shitty launch? Like the Wii U, the PS3 was the follow-up to the previous generations market leader. I see situational parity.

Because publishers still had confidence in the console. That confidence just isn't there with the Wii U

Pubs and devs never recoiled from PS3 like they seem to be with Wii U (though this is anecdotal). There was always the confidence that the numbers would get there over time with PS3. I'm not sensing that with Wii U.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47484804&postcount=1093

Expecting any game other than Mario or Nintendo Land to sell millions at launch is ludicrous.

It makes it hard for me to give a damn about the game just because that comment makes it seem lile an obvious and typical "Nintendo Excuse" solely to justify not giving a damn about the platform.

but why would AC3 be expensive? Its not exclusive so the only work would be port+pressing of discs (inventory) - which wouldn't make it any more expensive than say zombiiU. the specs on the wiiU is also equvialent to ps3/x360 so I don't think they needed a big team to make the port happen

Because you are attributing the entire budget of the game to the cost of the port.

By that logic, only the lead platform received a big budget game with AC III.

I doubt the Wii U port had a big budget.

I doubt the Blu Ray version of Skyfall had a big budget too. But it is nevertheless a big budget movie.

Drago

What's the worst case scenario here? I think that's something worth asking. Nintendo definitely won't fold or close up shop or release their Wii U successor a year from now but what is the realistic worst case.

WORST case scenario?

WiiU ends up selling worse than Gamecube, huge droughts happening very often, almost zero 3rd party support, Nintendo suffers major losses, console is dropped after 3-4 years on the market, Iwata is fired

Derrick01

Banned
That would be pretty hard to do overall though, right?

I mean, it's pretty clear there's a ton of third party games in development for them, so unless they price astronomically high, they have a lot of the work of selling them offloaded to other publishers.

Yeah I forgot to mention how bleak of a hope that was. Sony is definitely not repeating $599 and MS having another RRoD situation is extremely unlikely.

FoneBone

Yeah, that's true. I wonder what will happen to Nintendo...it's kinda strange to think we might know by the end of this year.

You really think they'd announce plans to exit the hardware market "by the end of this year"? As dismal as Wii U's prospects currently are, that strikes me as... implausible at best.

People expecting X8 and PS4 to be massive success' right from the start are in for an unpleasant surprise. Market has changed and the global economy is even worse.

Yeah, people really need to lower their expectations. Firstly, we won't see "OMG AMAZING GRAPHICS" at launch like so many assume.

And it's really doubtful that the PS4/720 will do better launch numbers its first month than the Wii U. They'll probably do a better job at sustaining those numbers over the course of their first few months, though.

Also, skyrocketing dev costs is a huge problem next gen for PS4 and 720.

javac

3rd parties generally have difficulties selling on Nintendo consoles historically. This wasn't the case with PS1 or PS2.

So why are people surprised by news such as this then? This should be the norm, no? And third parties flocking from the Wii U should be the expected, not the surprise and imminent doom trigger it's become.

Man, I'd be okay if it were Scribblenauts.

Not that it's necessarily good when a game bombs, but fuck that pricetag. $60 at launch when it's half that (and then a quarter of that) two weeks later on Steam.

I bought the game on Steam for $7 but trying to gouge launch buyers is really poor form.

One thing that will get people's attention, and always has, is fresh new graphics. The Wii U couldn't offer this. Not to say that Sony and MS wont' see their own struggles, but Nintendo wasn't really offering anything fresh. The system was sold to look just like the Wii. The games didn't look any better than what is out there now. The tablet gimmick is something people have been using for years already. Nintendo put themselves in a hole right from the start.

FyreWulff

The worst case scenario for Nintendo is they ride out the generation and try again in five years like they did with the GameCube.

Technically, they've already rode out two generations in a row - N64 and GameCube - that didn't go their way.

Gorillaz

I do agree with Mario on the statement that "next console gen could fail" Especially with the cost of titles rising, multiple companies throwing their hats in the ring ad the fact that the gaming market doesn't seem as stable as it once was in 2005/6....

Idk I still see a gaming industry crash soon. VERY soon.

AZ Greg

Track record. PS3 started slow but it was coming off two of the most successful consoles of all time. 3rd parties had faith things would get better. The Wii was an anomaly when you take Nintendo's other most recent home consoles into account (N64/Gamecube). Hence Pubs/Devs realizing lightning won't strike twice and abandoning ship now.

As a Nintendo fan I can't help but find this even more worrisome. It's even worse because I can't completely disagree.

What his statement said to me was that Microsoft and Sony appear to be fine with letting the ship sink before attempting to save it. Any misguided pipe-dream I had of Microsoft/Sony going digital, getting rid of used game sales, and having pricing freedom on XBL/PSN is dead. It was a stupid dream anyway.

I'm wondering what the game is. I doubt it's BLOPS 2 or ZombiU, since those have each sold well over "tens of thousands" of copies. I guess it could be AC3, but my guess is that it's Batman or Mass Effect 3.

On the other hand, I can't help but wonder how long a company that sees that big an attachment rate as a realistic goal is going to survive.

VariantX

Before? They were already on that bandwagon from the beginning. If that wasn't the case then most of the 3rd party software releases in 2013 would have Wii U versions on the way that would release day and date with the other platforms. I'd guess the decision was made due to the poor performance of their games on the original Wii platform coupled with Nintendo's inability to properly market the damn Wii U to anyone today.

Meelow

Banned
I'm kinda tired of all the hate the Wii U gets, obviously Nintendo isn't the good one in this but I think Nintendo will do everything to make sure the Wii U is a success.

I mean it sold 2-3 million in 2 months, I wouldn't say that's bad, it's just no PS2/Wii good.

Expecting any game other than Mario or Nintendo Land to sell millions at launch is ludicrous.

ZombiU was the best game besides NSMBU at launch, but the fact that it got undeserved bad reviews and Nintendo did an exceptionally bad job to promote their new console, didn't help the sales numbers.

Nintendo alienated 3rd parties and customers with the Wii. It would have taken a lot more investment for Nintendo to turn the tides.

Nintendo turned the 3DS around when it was all doom and gloom, they can do it for Wii U as well.

Though that certainly applies in Japan, but the 3DS still isn't exploding in NA is it?

We need support on that end too, did DS ever TRULY take off at least in it's first year or so in NA?

Pokemon will do the trick, but any 3rd-party success stories in NA on DS?

How did the DS COD games do?

It did thanks to Nintendogs and Brain Age.

So I have an honest question here...is there any reason why Nintendo can't survive as a major third party player if it comes down to that?
I often wonder how their development environment would work under 3rd party publishing. Storing ideas for years until it's either feasible, or can be backed with content. But having working prototypes in *development forever.

*by development I mean two or three people just pissing around trying to find the fun in it.
That's not Nintendo. The've adamantly said that without their own hardware they will not be in business.
I'm pretty sure this is just bullshit business bravado myself. If console manufacturing becomes too costly for them they'll likely just go to the software side of development.

Make games for a set hardware, and whichever gets the Nintendo software is going to see a huge uptick in marketshare quickly unless...
It presumes the talent will stay and not just go elsewhere.

Sega was supposed to be king of third parties when they ended their hardware production. Instead, they're having trouble printing discs and rolling back almost their entire retail presence.
...this potentially very real situation transpires. In which case we could see a massive and quick devaluing of the very brands that made Nintendo great.

JABEE

I still think Nintendo's biggest mistake was waiting too long to release their next system. They had a lot of momentum in the first 4 years of the Wii. That is when you put out a new system, not when you have already left the Wii to wither on the vine for two years. It is a dead brand, because Nintendo mismanaged it.

The idea of putting out a "WiiU" is a plan for 2010, not 2012.

Top Bottom