• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dice Summit: "nobody talking about the new WiiU projects they started, only canceled"

VariantX

Whatever the game is, who the fuck expected something to sell millions on a new console?

This whole generation was full of unrealistic expectations. There's only a handful of 3rd party companies left that can produce AAA titles because of it.

Are you doubting that improved graphical tech is appealing to people?

It's more than that though. When you buy a PS4/Xbox you know you're getting the absolute best third party support. Third party support may be slowly dying away, but what's left of it sure as hell isn't focusing its attention on Nintendo.

Probably ZombiU; but honestly, how many games that received 4.5 from GS and IGN and alike ended up becoming multimillion seller?

It's obvious ZombiU targeted a niche demographic.

I completely disagree with this statement.

Zombie games are the new fad right now and the trend has never been more popular.

The game was catered to a Western audience with the expectation that Nintendo had a third party, mature exclusive to demonstrate the capabilities of its new console.

The game's score is relative to the potential audience that could have been tapped.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Who buys Nintendo consoles expecting third-party support? lol

Nintendo have been PR-ing for months before WiiU launch how 3rd party friendly it was and how they were courting 3rd partys devs. Yes there was good reason to expect that things were going to be different this time around.

Cosmozone

It can't be Cod or any other port. That's the opposite of high budget. Also thinking it's Zombi U. It's the only 3rd party exclusive already out.

Ubisoft's what?

the FPSey space monster shooter.

e3-2011-ubisoft-announces-killer-freaks-from-outer-space-for-wii-u-20110608064722238.jpg

Because graphics saved the PS3's launch and are the reason the 360 is doing so damn well in sales right now.

well, it had a lot to do with it? Xbox360 did gangbusters this past xmas. and ps3 tripled the wiiU's sales (I think) it was either tripled or doubled.

I think graphics are probably a strong selling point.

But they can very quickly be overridden by any number of things. We plainly do not know how the XBox 3 and PS4 are going to come out or at what prices or what other circumstances can interfere.

I am sure no one expected that Microsoft's hardware would be so poorly made that it would have an almost guaranteed failure rate, but it sure ran Oblivion nice.

sd28821

It's more than that though. When you buy a PS4/Xbox you know you're getting the absolute best third party support. Third party support may be slowly dying away, but what's left of it sure as hell isn't focusing its attention on Nintendo.

this is a much better argument.

thankyou

The average person buying a console doesn't know what the fuck a third party is, so that has nothing to do with it.

Soriku

Western publishers have typically resisted Nintendo platforms. 3DS has no meaningful western support. DS didn't even really. Wii certainly didn't. Gamecube had a little. Nintendo has never had any choice but to take the reigns move on and let the stragglers get eaten. While I think it's nice Iwata tries to extend olive branches he should know that Nintendo is ultimately responsible and that they should be the ones to fill their own gaps and not count on 3rd parties for it. If that requires expansion beyond their mid-size company model that they love into a super company like Microsoft and Sony currently are then that's what needs to happen.

Yeah. Western third parties don't care for Nintendo and likely never will, especially compared to the other platforms. Nintendo can still focus on Japanese third party support.

jay

Nintendo have been PR-ing for months before WiiU launch how 3rd party friendly it was and how they were courting 3rd partys devs. Yes there was good reason to expect that things were going to be different this time around.

They have a lot of unprecedented relationships.

This is the big reason to expect even marginal success for either Sony or MS.

They've got the mass support of publishers and developers alike. If they don't screw the pooch in pricing or features they should have a base set of support at the outset.

I completely disagree with this statement.

Zombie games are the new fad right now and the trend has never been more popular.

The game was catered to a Western audience with the expectation that Nintendo had a third party, mature exclusive to demonstrate the capabilities of its new console.

The game's score is relative to the potential audience that could have been tapped.
Yeah, that's definitely why RE has become more action oriented each iteration. Or the same with Dead Space.

Just because you put Zombies in it, it doesn't mean it will sell well; specially when you don't add online multiplayer, which is one of the essential points to increase the value of your product for someone who is going to spend $400 to play your game.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
They will be when they see the graphics.

Why people forget that, compared to the other gens, we have these things called "Online communities" for games like COD and FIFA that, due to them, can't be the next killer applications alone? How many people will spend almost 500$ between the console and a game for the shinier version of its preferred title...and ridiculuosly empty online communities since all the other people is on PS3 and 360 (if they do cross-gen communities, this disadvantage would be quite reduced)? Next gen consoles can attract due to shinier graphics, but that alone won't be enough, they need a system seller that convince people making the jump.

Because graphics saved the PS3's launch and are the reason the 360 is doing so damn well in sales right now.

Graphics are the reason Wii died a sad death even though it should have been the most successful system of all time.

Graphics aren't all that matters. The Wiimote was more appealing to a mainstream audience than improved graphics. But nothing about Wii U is making up for the constant that people enjoy improved graphics.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Yeah I agree.

People buying a WiiU and expecting it to be their main console are (and probably will continue to be) disappointed.

And that shouldn't be the case. They (Nintendo) should ensure that there is a steady stream of good titles get released.

The average person buying a console doesn't know what the fuck a third party is, so that has nothing to do with it.

The average person isn't buying a new console at release. The average consumer isn't as stupid as you wish they were. They'll know which console doesnt have GTA.

I'm kinda tired of all the hate the Wii U gets, obviously Nintendo isn't the good one in this but I think Nintendo will do everything to make sure the Wii U is a success.

I mean it sold 2-3 million in 2 months, I wouldn't say that's bad, it's just no PS2/Wii good.

Companies will always be judged by their previous systems. Good or bad.

Taurus

They will be when they see the graphics.
Bwahaha! I really hope you are kidding. How's that Vita with lovable hardware doing against terribly inferior 3DS? I mean haven't they seen da grafix?

Remember how Wii totally failed when people finally saw PS3 grafix? Yeah, me neither.

Gamers interested in great graphics are already part of the master race. With consoles, graphics have NEVER mattered.

Why people forget that, compared to the other gens, we have these things called "Online communities" for games like COD and FIFA that, due to them, can't be the next killer applications alone? How many people will spend almost 500$ between the console and a game for the shinier version of its preferred title...and ridiculuosly empty online communities since all the other people is on PS3 and 360 (if they do cross-gen communities, this disadvantage would be quite reduced)? Next gen consoles can attract due to shinier graphics, but that alone won't be enough, they need a system seller that convince people making the jump.

Sure. You're not going to get 70m people selling their 360s and buying a 720 day 1.

Graphics attract the hardcore. Titles attract more people, and then price cuts attract the mainstream.

AzaK

People buying a WiiU and expecting it to be their main console are (and probably will continue to be) disappointed.
I was, and yes I am. I have been thinking that by the time Orbis/Durango come out, if Wii U is not on the list of platforms alongside Orbis/Durango wrt third party western games then I will sell it and get one of the others. Then I'll rent or borrow a Wii U for Zelda.

We'll see.

ZombiU is at 322K? Not bad. Though what's the source on that?

Also, isn't Sing Party a Nintendo game? And I doubt it would be a EA game, as EA never really wanted to support the system anyways..

The source is a banned site. First one I could find googling ZombiU sales, and from there I was able to find LTD sales fro the whole library. ZombiU is only behind Nintendoland and Mario in sales.

EDIT: Yeah- my bad on Sing Party. Turns out it is first party.

farnham

Banned

Nintendo lying about support like they always did? Nah

GC|Simon

The day Nintendo announces they're not making consoles anymore is the day that Sony or Microsoft buys up the rest of their stock and locks them to their console. Nintendo's lifespan as a third party would be expressed in terms of minutes and seconds.

Nintendo won't go 3rd party anytime soon. They are sitting on tons of money and they won't continue to make losses. I think they made lossed for two years now, right? Two years with a lot R&D spending and heavy currency problems. They earn money with the 3DS and they will earn money with the Wii U. And as long as they earn money there will be totally no reason to leave the business.

jay

Graphics are the reason Wii died a sad death even though it should have been the most successful system of all time.

I have never heard this argument. It's commonly accepted that the complete lack of games killed the Wii towards the end.

Can you expound?

Bwahaha! I really hope you are kidding. How's that Vita with lovable hardware doing against terribly inferior 3DS? I mean haven't they seen da grafix?

Remember how Wii totally failed when people finally saw PS3 grafix? Yeah, me neither.

Gamers interested in great graphics are already part of the master race. With consoles, graphics have NEVER mattered.

You don't seem the be understanding my point. Right now there's no reason to want next gen titles because nothing has demonstrated their superiority. To suggest that people won't want them when they're shown, with improved versions of big franchises, is a rather strange stance to take.
I have never heard this argument. It's commonly accepted that the complete lack of games killed the Wii towards the end.

Can you expound?

The complete lack of games which is a result of the hardcore completely giving up on the system, third parties realising there's no point in releasing anything for it and the people who bought the system because it's wacky and had Wii Sports had no interest in buying anything else.

Foffy

Banned
Yeah. Western third parties don't care for Nintendo and likely never will, especially compared to the other platforms. Nintendo can still focus on Japanese third party support.

This is why Nintendo plans on fitting the bill for various third party Japanese IP releases internationally on 3DS. I think Nintendo has realized the only companies who notably support their platforms reside in Japan.

We'll have to see what Japanese IPs, if any, are they collaborating with regarding third parties on Wii U.

Make some GOOD games FFS. Then we will buy your console. Goes for PS4 and 720 too. Provide us with things that creates nose bleeding of awesomz.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Graphics aren't all that matters. The Wiimote was more appealing to a mainstream audience than improved graphics. But nothing about Wii U is making up for the constant that people enjoy improved graphics.

Nope. Wii's death has something to do with...err, maybe...I know I'm probably being fucking crazy here, but...the fact Nintendo almost completely dropped the ball with releases after Holiday 2010? I remember 2010 being another pretty good year for Wii sales wise.

Ouch at that thread title.

Good thing I bought a Wii U solely for the first party games. Might be a while before I play something other than NSMBU but that's fine by me.

Persona7

Banned
During the gamecube they also had many different promotions where if you buy a console, you get to select a free game from a list of titles.

I remember them advertising the one with wind waker on TV pretty hard.

j2M1TuM.jpg

Found the image on archive.org, but I can not find the commercial that ran on TV.

Wii U will be the Nintendo first party console with the occassional 3rd party exclusive as usual. For people (me) wanting multi-plats they will be getting a MS/Sony next gen system.

Soriku

I was, and yes I am. I have been thinking that by the time Orbis/Durango come out, if Wii U is not on the list of platforms alongside Orbis/Durango wrt third party western games then I will sell it and get one of the others. Then I'll rent or borrow a Wii U for Zelda.

We'll see.

If you wanted good Western third party support you should just sell it. PS4/720 will clearly be the focus as PS3/360 are now. No reason to think otherwise. Keep it for Nintendo games and some JP third party support but that's it.

JABEE

This kind of resonates with me. Mario also said that when the PS3 was doing terribly, third parties never seemed as down on it as they are on the WiiU now. This is not to say there's a conspiracy or there are no reasons for publishers to want to support Sony over Nintendo. They just don't think WiiU is where the market is or ever will be and so they throw in the towel pretty easily.

Third parties also sold a shit ton of product on PS1 and PS2.

jay

What's coming out in the next month for Wii U?

It's really kind of pathetic. All I know of is the Lego game and MH3 in March, and nothing this month.

I admit there may be more, but I waste my life reading about games all day, so if there are others the marketing is pretty bad.

Third parties also sold a shit ton of product on PS1 and PS2.

Definitely, I wasn't implying anything negative about third parties for their position. Only musing about how it was kind of an already done deal that they would barely support the WiiU.

Top Bottom