• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dice Summit: "nobody talking about the new WiiU projects they started, only canceled"

FyreWulff

Nintendoland is a 'core' game hiding under casual dressing.

At first I thought it'd be a boring party-game style minigame collection and then it turned out to be pretty deep and have a lot of elements of old school Nintendo design.

Huh?

Even if they had all new wiimotes only for WiiU, you still would have to go out and buy them, just like your can go out and buy Wiimotes, but now if you owned a Wii you will already have them like over 90 mil people own Wii's so thats a bunch of Wiimotes out there, Nintendo is saving people a lot of money by not forcing you to have to buy all new controllers. But yet your complaining about that LOL.

The amount of people I've heard complaining about the Wii u using Wii remotes is ridiculous

Huh?

Even if they had all new wiimotes only for WiiU, you still would have to go out and buy them, just like you can go out and buy Wiimotes, but now if you owned a Wii you will already have them like over 90 mil people own Wii's so thats a bunch of Wiimotes out there, Nintendo is saving people a lot of money by not forcing you to have to buy all new controllers. But yet your complaining about that LOL.

The complaint is that packing in a game that focuses heavily on local multiplayer that requires Wiimotes to function is stupid. Assuming people still kept their Wiis around is as dumb as Nintendo not packing in a 3DS charger because they assume everyone still has a DS charger. And they're also assuming people upgraded to Wiimote Plus. That's a dumb assumption. Go ahead and defend that though.

donny2112

It's just like Wii. There's enough in the box to let you start playing right away. To play multiplayer, you need one more controller. Wiimotes are still sold, and there are even Wii U branded Wiimotes for those that aren't clear on the controller backwards compatibility thing. It's a manufactured complaint and not a real issue.

The amount of people I've heard complaining about the Wii u using Wii remotes is ridiculous
At the same time, I heard many complaints about Xbox 360 controllers potentially not working with Durango. It's funny how that works.

Still, I don't buy the innovation of the second screen simply because you're basically only able to use one with your system. This restriction seems really crippling, and the atrocious battery life doesn't help matters. If Wii Remotes were to be depended upon so extensively, Nintendo should have at least had the foresight to make every Wii U feature compatible with the Wii Remote and given us an easy option to turn the GamePad off.

The complaint is that packing in a game that focuses heavily on local multiplayer that requires Wiimotes to function is stupid. Assuming people still kept their Wiis around is as dumb as Nintendo not packing in a 3DS charger because they assume everyone still has a DS charger. And they're also assuming people upgraded to Wiimote Plus. That's a dumb assumption. Go ahead and defend that though.
This is seriously a non-issue. You couldn't play multiplayer in Wii Sports Tennis or Boxing unless you bought more controllers. It's the same with Nintendo Land. The only complaint would probably be with the three multiplayer-only games. But that's only three. It's not much different than The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past + Four Swords.

farnham

Banned
At the same time, I heard many complaints about Xbox 360 controllers potentially not working with Durango. It's funny how that works.

Still, I don't buy the innovation of the second screen simply because you're basically only able to use one with your system. This restriction seems really crippling, and the atrocious battery life doesn't help matters. If Wii Remotes were to be depended upon so extensively, Nintendo should have at least had the foresight to make every Wii U feature compatible with the Wii Remote and given us an easy option to turn the GamePad off.

home button -> controllers -> turn game pad off

easy

jmizzal

They did the samething with Wii sports, you know what everybody did? went out and got other Wiimotes, but this time Wiimotes are not scares like it was back then.

Last time I check Wii Sports helped Wii become one of the most successful video games consoles of all time so why would they not try that again?

I know what you want and thats NSMBU packed in, but why would they pack in a game that its series sells over 20 mil on its own?

They need people to try NintendoLand and they feel most people will buy NSMBU anyways, its called smart business, nothing stupid about it.

RedSwirl

Nintendoland is a 'core' game hiding under casual dressing.

At first I thought it'd be a boring party-game style minigame collection and then it turned out to be pretty deep and have a lot of elements of old school Nintendo design.

This is seriously what all casual games should be -- an accessible surface hiding a deep core. Nintendo just couldn't sell it, or use it to sell the system.

This is seriously a non-issue. You couldn't play multiplayer in Wii Sports Tennis or Boxing unless you bought more controllers. It's the same with Nintendo Land. The only complaint would probably be with the three multiplayer-only games. But that's only three. It's not much different than The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past + Four Swords.

Don't get me wrong but its only a small handful of people I've heard complaining about wiimote support (though they've all been pretty vocal about it), but any number higher than zero is ridiculous

Nintendo fans having embraced something as simplistic as Nintendo Land as a core title is probably the most depressing thing I've seen in a while here. And I actually kind of like Nintendo Land....

Eideka

Banned
Nintendo fans having embraced something as simplistic as Nintendo Land as a core title is probably the most depressing thing I've seen in a while here. And I actually kind of like Nintendo Land....

They don't really have a choice, at this point they would take absolutely anything that ressembles a core game.

donny2112

Wii Sports could be played casually or played very hardcore. Getting all Golds and/or Platinums took supreme effort and skill. Maybe people just aren't used to arcade style high score games, anymore?

Imagine that Nintendo Land (and Halo and Call of Duty and Madden, etc.) could be played the same kind of way. Some people play it casually, and some really, really, really get into it hardcore.

27867236.jpg

Let me guess.. you haven´t played it yet?

FyreWulff

Depends on what we mean by casual vs core here.

In terms of difficulty: A couple of minigames stay fairly middling in difficulty. Other ones, though, ramp up after you beat them the first time with the later stages.

In terms of length: Games present a short version of themselves on the first playthrough, then dump a bunch of new levels after you've proven you have a grasp of the game. I can't really call a game casual if I've noticed I suddenly spent over 2 hours playing a puzzle game.

Ninja Gaiden, ZombiU, Call of Duty are there, so there's no reason to use "people grasping for core games" digs. There's plenty of core games there and more coming soon. I'm just saying, as a developer, that Nintendoland's actual content is much more involved than the impression the box art gives you. It's advertising and initial presentation suffers from an identity crisis.

The box art says casual, the Nintendoland plaza says casual, then you get to a lot of the minigames and it's straight up arcade-era Nintendo design.

btkadams

Depends on what we mean by casual vs core here.

In terms of difficulty: A couple of minigames stay fairly middling in difficulty. Other ones, though, ramp up after you beat them the first time with the later stages.

In terms of length: Games present a short version of themselves on the first playthrough, then dump a bunch of new levels after you've proven you have a grasp of the game. I can't really call a game casual if I've noticed I suddenly spent over 2 hours playing a puzzle game.

Ninja Gaiden, ZombiU, Call of Duty are there, so there's no reason to use "people grasping for core games" digs. There's plenty of core games there and more coming soon. I'm just saying, as a developer, that Nintendoland's actual content is much more involved than the impression the box art gives you. It's advertising and initial presentation suffers from an identity crisis.

The box art says casual, the Nintendoland plaza says casual, then you get to some of the minigames and it's straight up arcade-era Nintendo design.
i'm not trying to take sides here, but couldn't you make this same argument for the wii sports games?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
'As simplistic as nintendoland'? Son, you're threading uncharted waters in nothing but your underwear.

FyreWulff

i'm not trying to take sides here, but couldn't you make this same argument for the wii sports games?

I think they were quite thin. They gave you all they were pretty much going to in the first 5 minutes of each.

The way I think of it is Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort were minigame collections. Nintendoland is a bunch of XBLA games bundled together on one disc. In terms of content. There's only two of them that I don't think would work as standalone Arcade/Wiiware games.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Nintendoland really is a core game in sheep's (casual, heh) clothing, and I think that was a mistake solely because the people who don't play games get it handed to them and it's not what they want. Something completely intuitive and instant like WiiSports is what they need, and while people like us can appreciate Nintendoland for it's qualities, they're just like *shrug*.

Zero148

Nintendoland really is a core game in sheep's (casual, heh) clothing, and I think that was a mistake solely because the people who don't play games get it handed to them and it's not what they want. Something completely intuitive and instant like WiiSports is what they need, and while people like us can appreciate Nintendoland for it's qualities, they're just like *shrug*.

people like us just must play Nintendoland with casuals in multiplayer and it makes click. The game is really easy to play, but hard to master

Huh?

Even if they had all new wiimotes only for WiiU, you still would have to go out and buy them, just like you can go out and buy Wiimotes, but now if you owned a Wii you will already have them like over 90 mil people own Wii's so thats a bunch of Wiimotes out there, Nintendo is saving people a lot of money by not forcing you to have to buy all new controllers. But yet your complaining about that LOL.

It hurts the public perception of the system. You are trying to convince people this is a fresh new concept worth dropping $400 on yet you see old Wii motes in the commercials and in use with the marquee games.

Lizardus

It's the definition of a casual game.

You played it, son?

It's a fun game, but to get an AAA treatment and being advertised as Wii U's flagship title for the release date? Specially if you have games like COD: Blops 2, AC3 and Zombi U at the same time?

No, not really.

We were talking about how its a casual game or not, not if it was AAA game. Stop moving goalposts.

I said it shouldn't be treated as an AAA title and it's quite obvious I said it's a casual game. Stop misleading my point.

Looks like you are the one confused. AAA =/= core or casual. Uncharted is an AAAA game but its pretty casual.

Top Bottom