• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Amazon receive a faulty batch of PS4 Consoles, or was it poor packaging?

Just thinking its trolls at this point. That and people being stupid like not knowing how to plug cables in and shit. I know it sounds stupid... but people are VERY stupid when it comes to electronics.

But yeah Amazon has been pretty bad with sensitive/kinda large packages lately. Usually stuff arrives fine but there is WAY to much room to move around for how UPS handles packages.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
That's insane. If I get a bad unit, I may write my displeasure to Amazon in a review, but I'm not going to spend hours on end on the Amazon review website shitting-up other people's positive experiences with the same product. I'd like to think most people are more mature than that.
I know the people on the CS side aren't going to have a pretty weekend. I'm sure some people are bound to get the "I hope you die in a car accident on your way home from work" or "I hope you have a rotten Christmas" calls from dissatisfied customers. And these are not 12 year olds saying these things but grown adults.

KissVibes

Banned
I love how faulty hardware is something we have to expect now. Its like the RROD got us use to this crap so now its ok with Sony having a similar problem.. because they are holy can do no wrong Sony. :/

The RROD issue didn't get us used to anything. It's common fucking sense that electronics break.

Elchele

Are we seriously getting concerned based on amazon reviews?

I mean, it sucks if a few people are getting bum consoles, but that's just a hardware launch for you. It's no different in any pther tech industry.

What is different though, are the hordes of mostly underaged disgruntled gamers who feel the need to digitally shit on anything they dislike. See Metacritic user ratings. Now that's something kind of exclusive to the gaming industry and it's very annoying.

These amazon ratings are probably not worth the attention. The exact same thing will happen with the Xbone launch next week, i'll give you my word for it.

we have enough reports in GAF to know those issues are very real.
My first and only review in Amazon is also about a product I bought and had a problem. People usually do that to express their discomfort and anger, and to stop others from buying the product.

Hoo-doo

Banned
My first and only review in Amazon is also about a product I bought and had a problem. People usually do that to express their discomfort and anger, and to stop others from buying the product.

How many gaffers had issues and how many users bought one day one?

sn00zer

Im really hoping you either got a dead console or you didnt....would hate if the consoles are on some sort of doom timer

Enectic

Banned
Just posting my Amazon experience. Console has been working fine. I used the HDMI cable I had for my PS3 and I haven't set up an account/downloaded the update yet though. I did put in Killzone and installed the updated it required. My heart sank a little because after the console reboot it stayed stuck at the blue pulsating light. I held the power button down for about 10 seconds to shut it off and then after turning it on again it went into safe mode and did it's thing. It's been working fine ever since. There are a few blemishes on the console though. Nothing major and purely cosmetic but still noticeable (maybe something happened during the molding process). Overall it doesn't really bother me.

CAM00217_zps462daaa3.jpg

CAM00218_zps89e3121e.jpg

CAM00219_zps99c8b9c9.jpg

Metfanant

While my console from Amazon was fine...I will say the packaging was not ideal..LOTS of the air protective material...butt was ALL on top of the console...none under it...

rokkerkory

Guys - it's way too early to tell how reliable launch PS4s are and this is just one source. Let's give it a few months at least. I also don't quite believe the .04% numbers from Sony without how they derived at that #.

As with any major electronics device, you're going to play a bit of russian roulette in the beginning.

\m/

TTSupra

Banned

And how many reports of broken PS4s on there on GAF? I wanna see some numbers!

Best Buy order here. No issues aside from what seems to be typical noise from the mechanical data readers. Didn't have any update issues, either. FWIW, my box was on the bottom of a slew of stacked ps4's at the store.
Out of 9 units I own there was 1 DOA.

PVJutO6.jpg

Interesting. Where did you order from?

elhav

That is why I would never buy a console at launch. I can't imagine how frustrated you must be if you imported and got a faulty console.

Oh, and maybei'm late to the party, but how many people have checked the fan connection for those that have red lined? Some say it was loosened during shipping and that could be an issue - more of a fitment thing than a technical / design flaw.

breadtruck

There are a few blemishes on the console though. Nothing major and purely cosmetic but still noticeable (maybe something happened during the molding process). Overall it doesn't really bother me.

CAM00218_zps89e3121e.jpg

I dunno man, seeing that on the front would really bug me. If it was a side or back, no problem.

While my console from Amazon was fine...I will say the packaging was not ideal..LOTS of the air protective material...butt was ALL on top of the console...none under it...

They never put anything under shipped products, same with anywhere else Ive ordered from. The air bags prevent movement in the box, they aren't put in to cushion all sides of the item.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
My PS4 came packed just like all the others.

I do believe that the packaging should have had support on all sides. Unfortunate mistake by Amazon to not instruct warehouses on packaging this stuff.

THAT BEING SAID - most things I order that come in similar boxes to the PS4's are packed that way. The vidcard I ordered was at the bottom of a box with packing on two sides and the top. Banged up box, too. Luckily it works.

Between PS4 and Knack I'm honestly starting to think that Cerny sold Sony a lie, and that he's way out of his depth considering the pedestal they (and we) have put him on. Or they (and we) were stupid and desperate.

There weren't even this many RRoDs on launch day. I have a very bad feeling about this.

Sega's Trojan horse, i knew it!

gtj1092

Is there a guide to the various PS4 lights?

I've gathered that a pulsating blue on boot with no picture means you're screwed and white is good.

What about orange?

Are there other colors?

Well I got that on my second boot up but just held down the power button till it rebooted in safe mode. No problems since then besides psn issues. I did have a problem where it kept trying to download kill zone multiplayer even though I had the disk in. Did a reset and worked after that but had to reinstall the game.

Deuterium

PS4 failure rate much greater than initially reported by SONY??

First, here is the direct link to find the latest, most up-to-date reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-...DateDescending

Okay, the reason for the question mark is obvious....
Currently, the number of 1 star (lowest rating) implies a failure rate much greater than 0.4%.

We cannot presume that all the one-star, negative reviews necessarily correlate with actual problem/defective units. Nevertheless, at the time of this post, the lowest (one-star), negative reviews stand at 64% ( 333 / 518).

Whatever the motivation behind the reasons for the number of negative reviews, it seems quite implausible that the defective/failure rate is only 0.4%, as initially reported by SONY.

Heck, even taking only 1 out of 10 of the negative votes to be truly caused by defective units, that results in:

33/ 518 = 6%

Which is above the average for failure rates for modern consumer electronics.

Hopefully this turns out to be an issue specific to a certain LOT and manufacturing site.

Elchele

And there I was, thinking you actually had something substantial.

If you want to say that the problem is real, gather some data that shows it. Compare the amount of people with PS4 units on the entire board to the people who have a defective unit. I have read the thread you linked and still am not convinced this is a widespread issue as much as you act it is.

:lol I couldn't care less if you believe it or not, if you want "data" count it yourself.

Metfanant

They never put anything under shipped products, same with anywhere else Ive ordered from. The air bags prevent movement in the box, they aren't put in to cushion all sides of the item.

then the box was too big...because there was still room for movement in the box

FryHole

Currently, the number of 1 star (lowest rating) implies a failure rate much greater than 0.4%.

We cannot presume that all the one-star, negative reviews necessarily correlate with actual problem/defective units. Nevertheless, at the time of this post, the lowest (one-star), negative reviews stand at 64% ( 333 / 518).

Whatever the motivation behind the reasons for the number of negative reviews, it seems quite implausible that the defective/failure rate is only 0.4%, as initially reported by SONY.

Heck, even taking only 1 out of 10 of the negative votes to be truly caused by defective units, that results in:

33/ 518 = 6%

Hopefully this turns out to be an issue specific to a certain LOT and manufacturing site.

You know where your calculations are going really, really wrong, don't you?

system11

Regardless of whether they are true or whether this is a high number, Amazon (and other same systems) should
- not let people review items not purchased from them

This, and even then people need to understand that every unhappy customer will post a review, and every person who tells 3 friends theirs broke will in turn tell others and make forum posts, and every news source will regurgitate the same stats, and a lot of people who should know better don't stop and think for a moment.

I've seen someone claiming a 40% failure rate already.

33/ 518 = 6%

Well most people who have working PS4 (or things in general) don't post reviews about them. I haven't, too busy playing my PS4 lol.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

33/ 518 = 6%

The only way your logic would work is if EVERY person who purchased a PS4 submitted a review. The people who don't have problems simply aren't posting reviews while the people who got faulty ones are.

Krakn3Dfx

Amazon could have taken better care of shipping these, the PS4 box was on the bottom of the shipping box with packing bubbles on top of it, which is basically the equivalent of no protection whatsoever, especially if you're going to ship through a company like UPS, whose workers have no respect for the packages they're shipping. This is especially true right now when UPS is bulking up warehouse and truck workers in preparation of the holiday season. I worked for UPS for 2 holiday seasons, and what I saw warehouse workers do to packages was atrocious. Packages marked "Fragile" were laughed at and tossed up in the air and batted between workers like a volleyball. It was disgusting and, at least at the time, there was no monitoring of these situations, and most supervisors/managers would just watch and smile. If there's a reason for the systems being shipped out to have problems, it wouldn't surprise me at all if at least part of the blame lies at UPS' feet.

MoeB

33/ 518 = 6%

tumblr_inline_mwbn13rHYq1qdybqu.gif

pestul

Question... does Amazon require that you have to actually purchase the item to leave a review? But yeah, I still believe the vast majority of those satisfied with their systems are still playing them and not writing reviews up. Sorry to anyone that got a bum machine though..

Should wait for statistics based on reports from actual owners rather than unverified numbers on retailer sites. Might be an indication, might be fanboy bullshit. Or both.

Anyone know how to gather reliable data and whatnot? Pool all PS4 gaffers together, pick X number of them out of a hat and give them a survey to fill out? Is that how it works?

If there's anything significant to this we'll know eventually.

Deuterium

You know where your calculations are going really, really wrong, don't you?

Hi FryHole....

I don't think it is "confirmation bias", if that is what you are implying....as obviously there is:

(1) a very large number of positive reviews

(2) Amazon is not a complaint/warranty issue "specific" site for the PS4

In any case, you will note I factored in only one out of ten of the negative reviews in my post.

So, with the understanding that I absolutely recognize that this is not in any way a scientifically accurate reporting of statistics...I am still curious as to where exactly you think I went completely "off the rails" in my particular, non-statistically scientific subjective observation. Noting, that my "observation" or "conclusion" is simply that the 0.4% failure rate, as reported by SONY, appears to be dubious.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
(middle school statistical analysis)

Sample size is not A: large enough or B: representative.

As someone said, Amazon had 200k baseline units. They sold out. That's 200k Amazon units that may be in the wild. Let's take 75% of the baseline.

As of this post, there are 362 one-and-two star reviews. I am not going to comb for DOA complaints, just take all the lower end reviews (I skimmed 3 stars, seems to be systems working but complaints about PSN/left handed users).

Let's go ahead and double the negative review amount just to assume that only half the people who get a DOA unit leave negative feedback (unlikely as I wager 90% of people would leave a note if they got a DOA electronics item). That's 724. Let's make it a nice even 1k.

1000/150000 = .67%

NOTE: this is STILL awful statistical analysis. I think it's more accurate, but it's still a huge amount of assumed data.

NJShadow

There were roughly 500 reviews on Amazon. There were 1,000,000+ PS4's sold at launch. My PS4 is totally fine, and I got it from Amazon. So yeah, sometimes the people more likely to write a review are those who have problems with the product. Don't expect an Amazon review out of me, but I give it 5 stars.

This thread is making me nervous. My Amazon PS4 arrived yesterday but went straight to the closet as it's a Christmas present from my wife.

I really don't want to open it, but I don't want to find out in a month that it's defective.

I don't have any games yet. Would I be able to tell without putting a disc in?

Out of fear of having a non-working console, I picked up AC and gave it a whirl for the past couple hours.

No issues what-so-ever. As a side note, I received my order from Amazon.

I'll have to pack this thing up soon probably though. It's supposed to be a Christmas gift . . . for myself. Ha! Who pre-orders a console then sells it to his own family, just so he can get it as a Christmas gift later? THIS GUY!

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

33/ 518 = 6%

such maths
much fail

This is terrible analysis. Reviewers are self selecting and sample size is too small. Try again.

FryHole

Hi FryHole....

I don't think it is "confirmation bias", if that is what you are implying....as obviously there is:

In any case, you will note I factored in only one out of ten of the negative reviews in my post.

So, with the understanding that I absolutely recognize that this is not in any way a scientifically accurate reporting of statistics...I am still curious as to where exactly you think I went completely "off the rails" in my particular, non-statistically scientific subjective observation.

Just precisely what everyone else is saying - you're calculating a failure rate based on number of reviews. How many PS4s do you think Amazon have actually sold? And how much more likely is someone to leave a review if their machine is knackered?

And they don't even need to be verified purchases - the 1 star reviews could be bullshit, the 5 five reviews could be bullshit. It's launch time and the fanboys are on fire.

There's simply no point even trying to put a number to it. It's utterly meaningless.

Out of 7 people that I know picked one up, my brother's PS4 was the only one that was DOA from Amazon. I got mine from Amazon too but received mine 5 hours earlier than he did and we live a block away.

Kolgar

I wouldn't mind an update on how many of the failed consoles came from Hongfujin Yantai with a manufacture date of September 2013.

The idea should be to try and isolate the problem if we can.

Edit? Wait, were all PS4s made there? I'm so confused! LOL

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Hi FryHole....

So, with the understanding that I absolutely recognize that this is not in any way a scientifically accurate reporting of statistics...I am still curious as to where exactly you think I went completely "off the rails" in my particular, non-statistically scientific subjective observation.
Your "1 out of 10" modifier is completely arbitrary and shouldn't even be relevant. If anything, most of the negative reviews should be considered accurate.

Amazon had 200,000 units which completely sold out. 0.4% of those units would be 800 faulty units.

You're assuming that out of 199,200 working units, that enough satisfied, happy customers came back and posted positive reviews just to show how happy they were or help skew the ratio towards an accurate sample size?

You're not making any groundbreaking revelations here. Not only is your analysis not scientific, it's not even close to common sense

Top Bottom