• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Amazon receive a faulty batch of PS4 Consoles, or was it poor packaging?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
We can not go by the number of sold units compared to the number of submitted reviews...as this is a number that cannot be truly assessed, given the information. Not to mention the fact that the vast majority of owners do not submit any review at all (negative or positive) to Amazon.
If you already understand this yourself, then shouldn't you realize that even comparing available reviews against each other means nothing? The current ratio you used could easily fall into the scenario I gave. There's nothing suggesting that the rate is over 0.4% in that case.

AngryBird

Banned
Mine arrived in great shape/ no damages or anything to the box. System is working etc..

The packaging is like everyone reported:

imBnJcN3f5O1U.jpg

i4zNTHZVa6dR5.jpg

Only the top had the air bags, no other side.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Did you perhaps actually read the 1-star reviews reported, so far, on Amazon?

If you did, and going by this specific data/information, please explain to me why my observation is in any way of "less quality" than others...especially given the disclaimers I made?

Mind you, I realize it is now futile to argue, in this thread, that my "observation" has any legitimacy and right to exist. In fact, given the prevailing responses, I fully expect that it will be expunged from record. Lord forbid that anyone should have the audacity to make commentary on online vendor sales statistics, however early and limited. Heavens knows that never has occurred on this site before.
It's still possible for you to admit that your argument wasn't as well thought out and just stop arguing.

RyanDG

Reading up on all the foxconn production details is rather fascinating. I know foxconn manufactured the Xbox 360 - is the Xbox One being manufactured by them as well?

bigmf

Does anyoe have that picture of all the PS4 pallets from one of the Amazon warehouses? Compare the number of bad reviews toall those PS4s in the picture multiplied by the number of wareouses Amazon has, if you have to a mathmatical anaysis.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
My amazon PS4 (hongfujin, August) is working great so far. I was getting the odd "jumps back to the front of the UI" a little yesterday but that seems to be gone.

Ovid

We should all be happy Amazon shipped it with one sided bubble wrap.

This is how Sony sent my other PS4.

Yeah, no bubble wrap or padding whatsoever. This is direct from Sony Online Store too.

hooligan

The only way to assess the situation, as has been mentioned before, is compare the ratio of negative reviews right now to the ratio of negative reviews for prior game console launches. Otherwise the only people who know the real numbers at this point are Sony themselves.

Does anyone know how to view message you send to amazon support through their site?

I had successfully put in a request for a replacement last night when they had the bundles back in stock. Today I got an email from them saying they couldn't replace it because it was back-ordered, which obviously pissed me off. Sent them a message earlier and am kind of surprised I haven't heard anything back yet since they have always seemed super quick in the past. Wanted to check and see how long it's actually been since I messaged them.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I'm not sure about packaging being a culprit. The basic PS4 packaging is pretty sturdy. Unless the outer Amazon box looks ravaged in some way I think one can assume it did it's job.

Weenerz

Banned
Does anyone know how to view message you send to amazon support through their site?

I had successfully put in a request for a replacement last night when they had the bundles back in stock. Today I got an email from them saying they couldn't replace it because it was back-ordered, which obviously pissed me off. Sent them a message earlier and am kind of surprised I haven't heard anything back yet since they have always seemed super quick in the past. Wanted to check and see how long it's actually been since I messaged them.

I would use the regular chat option instead of waiting for a response.

Ovid

Like I mentioned earlier, ideally, electronics should have padding all around it.

This is how Apple shipped my Mini this week:

No padding but the box is "hovering" in the middle of the packaging. All shocks would be directed around the product.

Again, I don't think Amazon has anything to do with these PS4 issues. The fault lies with Sony. However, I do think Amazon and the other retailers should've packed these consoles a bit better.

So is it mostly people who got their PS4 from Amazon that are having problems or are people who bought theirs from other shops having the same problems?

Wurdfurd

Plugged the console in and it booted right up, inserted killzone into the drive and 3 seconds later a puff of smoke blew out the back of the console. Upon grabbing my fire extinguisher in fear of the inevitable, the game disk shot out of the console right passed my head and into the wall like a scene out of 1986's "Maximum Overdrive". In fear for my life, I sent the possessed console to my neighbors house (that i hate) to reconcile our friendship. Hopefully ill never hear from him again...God rest his soul.

This is one of the reviews. I exhaled heartily through the nose.

Bruno

Best Buy order here. No issues aside from what seems to be typical noise from the mechanical data readers. Didn't have any update issues, either. FWIW, my box was on the bottom of a slew of stacked ps4's at the store.

Interesting. Where did you order from?

They were all purchased on amazon.

Amazon unit arrived with tons of bubbly wrap and has been running perfect for 2 days now. Played a bunch of Killzone, 2K14, and Resogun without issues.

Jay Sosa

What is different though, are the hordes of mostly underaged disgruntled gamers who feel the need to digitally shit on anything they dislike. See Metacritic user ratings. Now that's something kind of exclusive to the gaming industry and it's very annoying.

These amazon ratings are probably not worth the attention. The exact same thing will happen with the Xbone launch next week, i'll give you my word for it.

Not that I care..but aren't most of these reviews verified purchases? I doubt people spend 400 bucks just for a chance to shit on Sony.

ItIsOkBro

I‘ve never ordered electronics from Amazon, but looking at some of these packagings, that doesn‘t look adequate at all. Such a big box with such little padding and only 1 side...given how UPS handles packages I think it‘s really plausible some PS4s get destroyed during shipping.

isual

Is anyone else's PS4 hot or I would rather say a bit warm when turned on ? Specifically on the right matte side ? not the glossy part

Frodo

Not that I care..but aren't most of these reviews verified purchases? I doubt people spend 400 bucks just for a chance to shit on Sony.

There is some trolling, but most of the 1 rating stars reviews seems to be from verified purchases, yes.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
My PS4 overnighted direct from Sony just came in a cardboard box the exact size of the PS4 box. No room for bubble wrap. It works fine.

MogCakes

This is one of the reviews. I exhaled heartily through the nose.

Lmao wtf. Seems there are some reviews just for hate after all. I'm willing to believe most of them are for actual defective units (my unit runs a bit hot) though. Mine is running well and not loud like others seem to be reporting, but as mentioned it does get pretty warm. Going to put a big ol' fan next to it for that jet engine sound I seem to be missing out on.

Metfanant

yes...but i bet the 384 (as of the time of this writing) 1* reviews...are MUCH closer to the actual number of failures that Amazon sent out...then 660 (5*) is to the number of perfectly fine PS4's...

Is anyone else's PS4 hot or I would rather say a bit warm when turned on ? Specifically on the right matte side ? not the glossy part

i wouldn't say hot at all...but yes mine gets warm to the touch there...the matte side is the business end of the hardware...so thats where the majority of the heat is going to be generated

mine was on for 12 hours straight yesterday doing all sorts of various activities and i barely ever heard the thing except for the disc driving spinning up during installs...

Seems like the people on GAF Who got ps4 is 25:1 working to non working while those who wrote reviews on amazon are 2:1 working to non working.

This is a classic case of those reporting negative posting reviews vs those posting negative dont bother posting rather playing

TrantaLocked

Neo Member
Why would any PS4s at all be malfunctioning like this? I mean, they use the same hardware and firmware on every PS4, they obviously must have done quality control during manufacturing tests. Even if more people posts negative reviews than positive on the internet, the idea that even a few hundred PS4s are totally fucked makes no sense to me. How can you fuck up manufacturing that bad? The variance between consoles is too big.

Some of you that got any bubble wrap at all should be happy, mine just came in a box with nothing else in it to protect it lol. Needless to say it was DOA.

Future Shop packed mine pretty poorly. It was in a big box without any padding (air bags, bubble wrap, or foam) at all. My PS4's been working properly, though, minus the HDMI handshake issue I ran into once.

Tux

Why would any PS4s at all be malfunctioning like this? I mean, they use the same hardware and firmware on every PS4, they obviously must have done quality control during manufacturing tests. Even if more people posts negative reviews than positive on the internet, the idea that even a few hundred PS4s are totally fucked makes no sense to me. How can you fuck up manufacturing that bad? The variance between consoles is too big.

You would have to understand a little bit about chip yields, integrated circuit design, assembly line manufacturing process, shipping and packaging, condensation protection (heat, humidity, cold) while in transit from source to consumer.

This isn't like making someone a cheese burger and fries at Mcdonalds. It's a "little" more involved that than.

Looks like about 46 PS4 are on each pallet:

amazon-playstation-4-warehouse.jpg

Rushing production to meet unexpectedly large demand. We can't pinpoint all of the failed PS4s to Amazon puchases, but there is a strong correlation between those consoles made in September at Yantai and failure.

Sony accelerating production at this time would correspond with Jim Ryan claiming that factories would be running flatout to meet demand around the end of August

And after all that, we still don't know if this is an extraordinary problem yet.

Racer1977

The verified 1* reviews number a couple of hundred, when compared to however many Amazon sent out, be it 100k, 200k or whatever.

I agree you wouldn't think these "genuine" reviews would be trolling, but many are immature at best. I've also seen 1* reviews given because it doesn't play PS3 games and CD's, some are also experiencing fairly minor HDMI handshake issues, but not troubleshooting.

Of course, those with a complaint will always be more inclined to post a review, particularly in the early days, when satisfied people are consumed setting up their console & playing games.

You do understand that all consumer electronics have units that malfunction right? Especially at launch.

Metfanant

you've never actually looked into failure rates for electronic devices have you?

My amazon PS4 (hongfujin, August) is working great so far. I was getting the odd "jumps back to the front of the UI" a little yesterday but that seems to be gone.

That jump back to the UI thing was because of PSN network issues....I bet you were downloading something. It would do that to basically tell you your download stopped, and you would see a message that the network is under maintenance at the bottom of your screen.....

Happened to everyone....

Tux

The verified 1* reviews number a couple of hundred, when compared to however many Amazon sent out, be it 100k, 200k or whatever.

I agree you wouldn't think these "genuine" reviews would be trolling, but many are immature at best. I've also seen 1* reviews given because it doesn't play PS3 games and CD's.

Of course, those with a complaint will always be more inclined to post a review, particularly in the early days, when satisfied people are consumed setting up their console & playing games.

The way the viral marketing works is that you pay with your own credit card, keep the console, put up fake review(s), then later get reimbursed from marketing company that hired you (x2). You = profit. Keep console. And there's no stopping someone that just wants to troll and put a fake comment even though they will most likely own all consoles (bias not withstanding).

Works the same way with fake 5 star reviews.

The real faulty consoles that have real reviews are intersperse within the fraudulent comments. Thus, it's hard to tell them apart unless you have an eye for such things.

So, it's the job of the Amazon admins to vet the reviews periodically and remove the fake ones later.

RandomLK

Neo Member
Amazon doesn't put the air bubbles in to protect your items, they put it in to stop the item moving around in the box while in transit/conveyor belts.

There is some trolling, but most of the 1 rating stars reviews seems to be from verified purchases, yes.

Lol I wouldn't say most., there are quite a few non verified reviews.... And of the negative reviews, you have to dig through the stupid "It doesn't play CDs" 1star reviews and the "I didn't get it on launch like I was supposed to." 1 star reviews.....

Trying to gauge launch hardware issues through user reviews is ridiculous.... Like I said earlier, there are already over 20 one star negative reviews on Best Buy to 60 five star reviews for the Xbox One and it isn't out yet.

TrantaLocked

Neo Member
you've never actually looked into failure rates for electronic devices have you?

As you may have seen earlier in this thread, Amazon has reportedly halted shipping as Sony tries to fix the issue. That alone shows the failure rate is way too high. I understand there will be some bad units but for such an important launch you'd think Sony would perfect the process and hold a higher standard of binning. If I were Sony I'd rather check more units and ship the good ones than rush manufacturing, ship everything, and then see the massive amounts of returns. That costs a lot of money.

Somewhere, Sony lost grip of quality control, even if they thought they were being strict.

Amazon doesn't put the air bubbles in to protect your items, they put it in to stop the item moving around in the box while in transit/conveyor belts.

You just contradicted yourself. "Stop it moving around in the box while in transit/conveyor belts" IS protecting your items.

Metfanant

As you may have seen earlier in this thread, Amazon has reportedly halted shipping as Sony tries to fix the issue. That alone shows the failure rate is way too high. I understand there will be some bad units but for such an important launch you'd think Sony would perfect the process and hold a higher standard of binning. If I were Sony I'd rather check more units and ship the good ones than rush manufacturing, ship everything, and then see the massive amounts of returns. That costs a lot of money.

Somewhere, Sony lost grip of quality control, even if they thought they were being strict.

id really like to see some verifiable evidence that shipping was halted for that...

ive been told things by Amazon chat reps that turned out to be COMPLETELY wrong...

Tux

As you may have seen earlier in this thread, Amazon has reportedly halted shipping as Sony tries to fix the issue.

They didn't halt all shipments. Only the first batches that were being sent out. There are already others that have received new shipments today and ordered on Friday (like myself) that are due to arrive on Monday (yes, with tracking numbers).

The production problem is traced throughout the whole manufacturing chain. So, both Amazon, UPS (or shipping vendor) and Sony know what production batch goes where, what plane/boat it was on, what warehouse it's located in, what pallet it's on, what item numbers are assigned to each device, and which ones they will electronically trace and recall/replace. This isn't the case where the production managers scratch their heads, stop the whole line and open each box looking for broken HDMI ports. It's all automated and systematic.

And if a production manager screwed up, then heads will roll. Just imagine if you're "that guy." :(

Top Bottom