• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did anyone else just watch the Injustice 2 story cutscenes on YouTube?

"Let's Plays" are like piracy now? Nintendo was right I guess.

Anyway, I watched it because there's no PC/Switch version and those are the only current platforms I own. I would've bought the game otherwise.

I have the game but skip the cutscenes.... will watch them on youtube eventually (used to love watching them BUT MGS4 turned me off them lol).

Compbros

Anyway, I watched it because there's no PC/Switch version and those are the only current platforms I own. I would've bought the game otherwise.

It's not Let's Plays, it's people editing all the cutscenes together and then uploading it into a "movie".

I know a TON of people who have done this.

It actually kind of makes me angry. Because they did so much work to make the story really beautiful and interesting, and some guy on Youtube makes ad money off it and a million people just watch the story instead of buying and playing the game. Its robbing devs of their hard earned money.

If I was WB, I'd release the story cutscenes as a separate movie and DMCA takedown all the youtube cutscene compilations. This thievery has to stop.

I mean if you make a fighting game and the only attractive thing about it is cutscenes, then it probably didn't deserve money in the first place.

ZangBa

I watched it on Twitch, so pretty much the same thing. I'll watch most story heavy games with little gameplay.

guilty of this i loved the story of the first game but didnt end up really enjoying the gameplay so when the second game was announced i wanted to see how the story continued.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Same with me, i have injustice 1 on WiiU, loved the story mode, but there is no WiiU, switch or PC version for 2, so...

MAtgS

It actually kind of makes me angry. Because they did so much work to make the story really beautiful and interesting, and some guy on Youtube makes ad money off it and a million people just watch the story instead of buying and playing the game. Its robbing devs of their hard earned money.

If I was WB, I'd release the story cutscenes as a separate movie and DMCA takedown all the youtube cutscene compilations. This thievery has to stop.
I don't have the time, let alone the money, to play every game out there. Its not a choice of play or watch, its a choice of watch or don't experience at all.

Crayon

Here's a question - do you guys think people watching the story on YT would have bought the game just to see it?

Or does the fact they're not interested in actually playing a fighting game maybe mean this isn't losing a ton of sales?

I'm not saying which is the case, just offering a thought.

That is not just "a" question. It's "the" question. And the answer is No.

big_z

I watched a play through. I had zero intention in buying the game but wanted to see how Nether Realm has incremented the story mode production. Still best in class and I wish other devs would take notes but the story itself was pretty dumb tho fitting for super hero trite.

Endo Punk

I didn't but that's what I do with 80% of games. Will probably watch Injustice 2 tomorrow. Don't get me wrong I want devs to succeed and for people to buy their games but watching allows me more time to focus on the select few I do intend to buy.

I did. I like fighting games, but I don't care much for the Mortal Kombat/Injustice style of fighter and I bought MK9 and Injustice 1. I'm surprised that IGN was allowed to post the whole story like they did.

Are the characters still using those super pills in this universe? While watching this I thought the outcome of some of fights weren't believable.
Harley winning against Ivy and Swamp Thing? Batman beating Wonder Woman?

I mean if you make a fighting game and the only attractive thing about it is cutscenes, then it probably didn't deserve money in the first place.

Don't they at least deserve money for the cutscenes, though? Like, I am attracted to fighting games because I like seeing various colorful characters interacting with each other and don't care about the fighting part at all. I indeed feel that it's not worth a full price, so I simply wait for the price to drop.

I honestly find the "I don't care about the main part of the game" justification to skip paying entirely rather flimsy. If you are positively entertained by a product, rewarding the people who created and sold them seem to be the decent thing to do.

So many terrible hot takes in this thread. This one is right on the mark though. This stuff needs to change.

Jashobeam

I've never resorted to doing that for any game, I'd rather wait for sale and play the game myself, and if its a game I have zero interest in playing, then I won't bother with the game at all no matter how friggin' good the story is.

Kaizer

Banned
I did, as I have zero interest in fighting games and would never buy Injustice 2. Now the story? That's what I'm interested in, so yeah I've watched about half of it on YouTube so far. I don't feel bad about it, there's plenty of game genres I find interesting for different reasons, but never feel like actually playing them, like P.T. I watched multiple playthrough of P.T. & was throughly terrified throughput.

erawsd

I doubt this hurts Injustice at all since people will buy a game with Batman/Joker anyway.

I am more curious to see how this will impact Tekken since it doesn't have much mainstream appeal these days and they seem to be going all in and trying to appeal to all the people that trashed Street Fighter for its lack of story/Single player. Will be sad if the game flops as hard as Street Fighter while tons of people just watched its story content on YouTube

Endo Punk

I doubt this hurts Injustice at all since people will buy a game with Batman/Joker anyway.

I am more curious to see how this will impact Tekken since it doesn't have much mainstream appeal these days and they seem to be going all in and trying to appeal to all the people that trashed Street Fighter for its lack of story/Single player. Will be sad if the game flops as hard as Street Fighter while tons of people just watched its story content on YouTube

Thanks for reminding me that T7 is coming out soon. Wonder how the kooky Mishima fam story ends. I really hope it ends.

Falcs

Banned
I don't know how I feel about this. It seems wrong, but then on the other hand, I feel hypocritical because I watched the whole of MGS1 story on YouTube a few years ago because I didn't have time to re-play it again but wanted to experience the story. But at least I own the game, so I guess it's different..?
I think if you're interested in the story, you should buy it.

ErzaScarlet77

Neo Member
IGN put the whole damn thing up on youtube on like, release day. im sure WB approved of it, so eh, they mustve thought the story wasnt the main selling point of the game

Paz

I find this to be a complex problem, on the one hand I haven't enjoyed actually playing NRS fighting game since they peaked with Mortal Kombat 2 but I did enjoy the story in Injustice.

It seems the best way for me to experience Injustice 2 is to watch it on YouTube? NRS provide no alternatives and don't ask people not to upload it, so it seems everyone is at least somewhat OK with this being a thing.

I'm gonna chalk this one up as a morally ambiguous situation with no right or wrong outcome.

jdstorm

Banned
Yes.

However i dont think WB care much since the story is being drip fed into the free mobile game.

I ended up buying some mobile microtransactions to ease my conscious

Nah, it doesn't feel like a reward for playing. I feel as if I'm cheating. Hell, even for Batman: Arkham Knight, I actually finished the side quests (including the shit Riddler stuff) just to see a few seconds of a secret ending lol.

I did. I don't like fighting games that much, I used to play them when I was young and I could play local matches against my brother but now I just play them for the story mode. I own Mortal Kombat, Injustice and Mortal Kombat X on PC because I wanted to play through the story. I would have bought Injustice 2 but it's not available on my platform yet so I just watched the story cutscenes on YouTube and that's that.

You know, I spent like 4 minutes going down this thread until I finally realized that I did that with the first Injustice and very much enjoyed it. I bought the game as well. Not that it's something I've thought of more than a few times, but I had this false memory that I actually played through the whole story and that's how I experienced it. Now I'm realizing that I didn't play the story much and got it from Youtube...

J-Skee

What's funny is that you're not wrong, but it won't happen. Everything you just said would happen if it was the Justice League film, but video games are just different when it comes to stuff like this.

Alienous

The problem with this sort of hit me when I noticed a YouTube movie reviewer had decided to review the cutscenes.

Maybe it's the length that makes it different. Maybe it's the production values. But it does feel like NetherRealm and Warner Bros. have created a computer generated DC movie, and people are watching it for free. And it feels like something people should be paying for to watch.

It's a strange situation.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Didnt even think about it...but i guess i will give it a shot now - i still will pick up the game at some point in the future.

Anyone has a good YT source for the cutscenes ?

AHA-Lambda

Yeah I did a few days ago, and know a few others that did also.

I'm bad at fighting games, and it's the only thing of interest to me bout the game.

ZeroX03

Banned

I did this for the first game and got over 1 million views

The ad money was not worth the time it took

Top Bottom