• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Monolith Soft run over Square-Enix with 'X'?

CorvoSol

Only sheds light on who are the true kings in these realms. Impostures never fly long.

1.) You mean impostors. Nobody's spelled it "impostures" in at least 100 years.
2.)Square Enix threw its crown away the moment XIII launched as a skeleton RPG. They only haven't been expelled from the kingdom because of handheld Square making actual RPGs.

Narolf

Banned
This thread proves hope springs eternal. I actually feel bad versus fans. I love some of these vapid, vague statements criticizing X. At least versus has an identity? Really this is where we are?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509589

First thing I noticed in that thread was people likening X to Xenoblade, Monster Hunter, mechas and animes. What do you liken Versus to? It has inspirations, sure, but it doesn't seem like the 1.5 version of anything.

Eidan

I make fun of Versus as much as anyone, but I find it odd that the same people jizzing over 30 seconds of X footage keep asking why anyone is excited about Versus.

Because X is new, and Monolith's last game was acclaimed.

Footage of Versus however is two years old, and Square hasn't made a good home console game in six years.

Rehynn

I make fun of Versus as much as anyone, but I find it odd that the same people jizzing over 30 seconds of X footage keep asking why anyone is excited about Versus.

Because since Versus was announced, Monolith have made a great game and already released extremely promising footage of a new one.

Narolf

Banned
Ether. Mist. H2O in gaseous form. What's that called again?
Kingdom Hearts

Sora_and_Noctis.jpg

That's as far as it can go in terms of comparison. Sure, there is also that whole symbolism about Light, but it isn't countered by "Darkness" or anything along those lines. Characters aren't black or white either. If anything, Versus is Kingdom Hearts after going through puberty.

Because since Versus was announced, Monolith have made a great game and already released extremely promising footage of a new one.

It's barely any footage of some dude running on a beach and hopping onto a mech. Oh, and large, empty fields. Versus trailer has that along with actually good art direction.

Because X is new, and Monolith's last game was acclaimed.

Footage of Versus however is two years old, and Square hasn't made a good home console game in six years.

Nomura's previous games are also acclaimed.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509589

First thing I noticed in that thread was people likening X to Xenoblade, Monster Hunter, mechas and animes. What do you liken Versus to? It has inspirations, sure, but it doesn't seem like the 1.5 version of anything.

Versus' battle system always reminded me of Kingdom Hearts
It's why I'm still hoping for it's release

It's barely any footage of some dude running on a beach and hopping onto a mech. Oh, and large, empty fields. Versus trailer has that along with actually good art direction.

really dude...

You forgot the battle system, the transportation, enemies, possible co-op/chat, and if its anything like Xeno(which seems to be the case) everything you see you can reach(by foot or flying mech).
And that's just in the announcement trailer!!

What did we get in the 3 years since Versus announcement? A couple of CGI teasers of Sasuke fighting some dudes in front of a building.
Had to wait a few more years to finally get some decent gameplay.

Art Direction looks great for both

Persona86

Banned
It looks empty because it's from a distance

x.png

Ah yeah I'm sure the game will be packed full of stuff and things to do, especially the final product. I meant more of a variety on the landscape like more trees, flowers, forests, desert etc
But of course it could be just the area, maybe there's more areas to explore.

ari

Banned
i guarantee you Versus will be shit. Why would versus come out clean when other console offerings from square was covered with crap? I lost all faith from Square.

Persona86

Banned
i guarantee you Versus will be shit. Why would versus come out clean when other console offerings from square was covered with crap? I lost all faith from Square.
Because another team is making it, this is not going to be FF13, have some faith people it's not healthy to be so negative.

Anyway why does it seem like some people are trying to turn Versus fans against Monolith fans, it's strange, people are acting like they have to choose sides or something. I'm excited for both.

CorvoSol

Sora_and_Noctis.jpg

That's as far as it can go in terms of comparison. Sure, there is also that whole symbolism about Light, but it isn't countered by "Darkness" or anything along those lines. Characters aren't black or white either. If anything, Versus is Kingdom Hearts after going through puberty.

This is the problem with assuming you know the direction someone's argument will go. I don't mean in terms of story, I'm thinking more along the lines of what we've seen of how it plays. And it looks like it plays like a game that is an evolution or a logical progression from Kingdom Hearts would play. The screen is laid out akin to KH's, with Noctis' face-hp/mp bar larger and at bottom right, with his cohorts smaller and above. We see segments of suspension of the normal arpg for piloting a vehicle or turret.

As you have yourself illustrated and stated, Versus is KH "pos-puberty".

Gravijah

Why shouldn't hate be directed at a game taking over 7 damn years since unveiling?

'Cause in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. It'll come out when it's ready; judge whatever the final product is.

I'm excited for the game but I'm surely not agonizing over how long it is taking.

UberTag

I beg to differ.

If you really want some perspective, Monolith had yet to release Xenosaga Episode III back when Versus was announced. It shipped in Japan two months after the Versus announcement. So they've actually released two great games.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Oh yeah? Have you seen the light? :p

Just think, even if they call it FF XV the 'V' can double up to still mean versus.

I really think it's in SE's best interest to distance themselves from the XIII name. I can't imagine Lightning Returns doing well outside of Japan at all and that would just hurt the brand name more. Not to mention XIV ARR still has to be released which could go either way.

Just call it XV and be done with it.

Yep. They really do. Like it or not, the XIII games have a stigma about them now, especially to the general public who doesn't follow video game news like GAF.

Gravijah

Yep. They really do. Like it or not, the XIII games have a stigma about them now, especially to the general public who doesn't follow video game news like GAF.

There's less of a stigma away from places like forums from my own experience. Of course, that's purely anecdotal.

Persona86

Banned
BROTHER

I don't understand why people only want to love one thing.

Indeed.

Anyway I enjoy being excited for games, it makes this hobby more worthwhile.

I can't see what good being so negative would bring us, the world is already too negative of a place, I'd rather be positive about my favorite hobby, I'm not going to let the negativity in the world make me lose hope and excitement for all the little things that make life worth living, for me the waiting game is part of the fun haha.

P.S I'm not saying that games alone make life worth living, I'm saying that having a bit of hope and faith in the little things in life is a healthy choice considering how negative the news and people are in this world and how that starts to take a toll on a person.

Top Bottom