• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you become a Final Fantasy fan pre or post FF7?

Khrno

I started with FFIV and then VI (2 and 3 SNES US versions), I then hated VII right at the end of disc 1 and didn't like anything more of what I played after that of that game (I did completed it).

BluWacky

Final Fantasy VII was the first game in the series released in Europe, and prior to the PC version's release I was a Mega Drive and then N64 owner. So I couldn't be a fan until after VII, essentially - and then VIII following that.

It wasn't until after that point that I saved up and bought a Playstation for more JRPGs.

So definitely a post-FFVII fan!

I became a fan with FF4.

300px-Final_Fantasy_II_(SNES).jpg

In fact this game introduced me to the world of RPGs in general, I had never played one before.

I was 10 when I played this for the first time on the SNES in 1991. I thought it was great too, even though it wasn't my first RPG.

They I borrowed this one from a friend:

15238_front.jpg

And it basically was an RPG designed for newbies (it even says that on one of the bullet points on the box). To be honest, it wasn't that bad for a game that was designed to be a entry point for the Final Fantasy series in the west. Very simple game though, mechanically.

Then I purchased Final Fantasy 3 (6) with my own money:
ff3boxfront.jpg

For me this was the pinnacle of the series, which is not saying much given that I only played FF2 (4) before this. I didn't play Final Fantasy 1 until I purchased the remake for my iPhone. I also played through the real Final Fantasy 2 on iOS as well.

Final Fantasy VII was a weird game for me. I didn't own a Playstation back then so I bought the PC port from Eidos instead. But I could never get the PC port to run on my PC for odd reason's, so I ended up selling it at a pawn shop or something. I never really had a chance to play FFVII and it is a game that is still on my bucket list.

Final Fantasy 8 bored me and I gave up on the series after that one. I haven't played 9, 10 , 12, 13 and I have no interest in 15 either.

zoukka

FFVI USA version that my friend had imported. Whoo boy did it blow my mind, it felt endless in size and complexity.

PSX was my first home console, and I vaguely remember going to Toys R Us and picking up FF7. It was my first JRPG, unless you count Pokemon Blue, picked up from that same Toys R Us. Unsurprisingly, I am a big fan.

GamerJM

Banned
Post-FF7, but with a game that came out before FF7. My first game in the series was 4 on the SNES, that I had growing up as a kid because my dad bought it back in the day, but I didn't play it until after FF7's release. I played it around the time XI and X-2 came out, in like 2003/4.

FFVII was my first final fantasy game I played. On the PS1. Then played FF8 and FF9 when they came out and then 10 on the ps2.

I think I played 13 or was it 12 on the ps3?

What is even a good modern final fantasy game these days? I'm on PC now BTW and it seems like there's a bunch of FF games on Steam.

Iscariot

I played 1 on the NES, but I think I liked the concept art and such they had in Nintendo Power more than the game itself... At least compared to Dragon Warrior. But with FF2 (IV) on the SNES I'd say I was a fan.

I was 7 years old when FFVII released but didn't play it until after I had played VIII (my first), IX (my favorite game of all time), and FFIV. I dunno if I should call that pre or post.

Pre. FF4 was my first foray into it. Then I emulated 5 and rented 3(6). I then moved onto the NES titles and the legend series. I've played all the mainline titles except FF13's sequels, and I've played(but not beaten most of the spinoff titles).

I saw screenshots in magazines for FF1 and FF4. Didn't really catch my eye. But when I saw screenshots of FF6, I liked the detailed sprite work so I decided to give it a try.

Was a fan when I saw the snowy intro and heard the wonderful music.

Asd202

I'm kind of weird. I became FF fan after playing FF8 but I had almost no knowledge of 7. So I became a FF post 7 but 7 was not the reason 8 was.

ghibli99

I'm in my 40s, and the first FF I ever finished was FF7. It's what prompted me to go back and play through the SNES games, which after everything was said and done, FF4 and FF6 ended up being my favorites. The spectacle of FF7 at launch was crazy.

TrounceX

Post.

FF7 was my first JRPG. I was 7 years old.

I have only briefly tried to play FF6, but meh, I have it for Android and it's just not doing anything for me. Haven't played any of the other older ones.

Ricky 7

I live in Europe so I think FF7 was our first Final Fantasy game. Well I'd not heard of the series before then. Still one of the best games ever.

Played plenty of JRPGs prior to FF, but not FF until FF7.

I played the earlier ones much later in life. I'd definitely say those are of a higher quality that most of the post FF7 games, though the very early ones are pretty hard to play now.

Started with FFX. Rented it first, then went back to it after (the PS2 was also rented; never bought one until several years later). The game itself is really just "good" and not awesome-tier, but I fell in love with the way the series approached RPG conventions (that is, the spells, abilities, etc.).

First FF-branded games I owned were FFTA (didn't like it) and FF:CC (really loved it, even if I hated how limited its approach was).

Played FFIX next. (My favorite turn-based FF.)

Then FFXII. (My favorite FF overall.)

Then FFVII. (Didn't resonate with me.)

Then FFVIII. (Quit midway through.)

I really liked what I've played of FFI, FFIII, FFIV, and FFVI, but I've never finished any of them.

FFXIII was meh, XIII-2 was okay, and I can't get into LR.

FFXIV would have been great if I didn't have to wade through all the MMO trash to progress.

Interested in FFXV for its vast-world elements and KH-lite combat (though I'm a little put off by the fact that it seems to be dumping the conventions I fell in love with originally), but honestly much more excited for the FFXII remaster.

Sydle

Pre FF7. I played the original on NES and enjoyed the sequels, but I fell in love with the series with FF6 (3 US).

I've played everything in the main line series and my top 3 in order are FF9, FF3 (6), and FF12. 7 is great, would probably put it at number 4 or 5.

I didn't like 8 and I have a fiery hatred for 13.

jjasper

Started with VI. Had tried the first one when it came out but it was a little to advanced for me at the time and I didn't quite get it. Love all of them but X and XIII.

Post ff7. My first rpg I really got into was the snes super Mario RPG. Even after that gem I wasn't familiar with the genre. When ff7 came out I only played it at my friend's house but I was enthralled. I owned a Saturn at the time and bought up every RPG I could on the console. Few years later I got my own PlayStation and went even more jrpg crazy. When it's all said and done I do thank Square for giving me my love of the genre. Also, FF6 is my favorite in the franchise. I first played it on the PlayStation ff collection.

CaramelMarx

Neo Member
The same Christmas I got a PSOne, I also got FF9. Believe it or not, I remember first seeing art from IX on the AMC movie popcorn bag. If memory serves, it was stuff like this on each side of the bag:

tumblr_mhlvchypjq1s4pgkio1_4001.jpg

latest

latest

Needless to say, I wanted this damn game from the promo stuff alone.

I played some FF1 on the NES as a kid, and then a little later rented FF4 a couple times on the SNES. But I would say i truely became a fan when I kind of blind-bought FF6 near launch and fell in love with it. It was the first FF game I completed and I have since bought and beaten every mainline FF game.

But FF7 also blew me away when I first played it. I couldn't sleep at night, I just kept getting up and playing a little more. To this day FF6 and FF7 are tied for my favorite entries in the series.

clo1_2000

Banned
I'll never forget that summer in 1991 when all I did was play the game that is my avatar. Not only was this my first real JRPG, but also the first game I bought a strategy guide for.

I've played many of the games since then (skipped over the 13s, have played XI and XIV). I have to say that I'm currently loving World of Final Fantasy. In fact, compared to my hype for XV, WoFF wins out in my book. I definitely love that old-school feeling of turn based battles.

That being said, I hope Square continues down both paths in front of them. Creating original and new action-oriented combat, but also taking advantage of nostalgia-driven people like myself.

muzzymate

Saw a Final Fantasy 7 commercial and thought it looked amazing. Found out that Final Fantasy 3/6 was on the SNES, so I played a copy on an emulator. It ran like shit but it was such a great game. Saved up my money and bought a PS1 & FF7.

daveo42

Banned
FFVII was the first FF game I played and one of the first RPGs I had played. So yeah, I became a fan of FF and RPGs thanks to FFVII.

Rhysser

Banned
I became a fan with FF6, then went back to play FF1, then once emulation became a thing the fan-translated FF games. I've played most of them except the 'sequels' such as FFX-2 and FFXIII-3.

Muffdraul

Pre. I bought an SNES in fall 1991. A few months later an old friend recommended that I play a new game called "Final Fantasy 2" promising that I would love it because it was "just like D&D" (we had become friends about 10 years earlier because of D&D.) He didn't explain how/why. I bought it, played it, hated it. It was obviously very influenced by D&D, but not in any of the ways I hoped it would be. I had imagined a game that was basically a 16-bit single player version of WoW. I thought I'd be creating my own characters from scratch and then be set free to wander the world looking for quests, and accept or reject them as I saw fit. The prefab characters and linear story were a total turn off at the time. It took me like six months to eventually finish it. I would pick at it here and there, and I'm embarrassed to admit I remember thinking it was pretty hard. Mostly because I was stuck in my old D&D habits of thinking of healing potions and spells as rare and precious and should only be used in dire emergencies, and you should try to only ever heal by resting in camp or at in inn. So I died a lot.

A couple years later FFVI came out, and I couldn't have cared less. Had no intention of ever playing another FF. But by then I was online and had become a regular at some university's gaming BBS, and some of the other posters there made it their mission in life to get me to play FFVI, promising that it was "WAY better than FFIV in every way!" etc. etc. They semi-convinced me it might be good, but mostly I decided to play it just to get them off my back. But I guess because I knew what to expect this time, I ended up falling in love with FFVI. It was a little over a year later that FFVII got announced in Japan, and then about a year and half later FFVII was released in the US. Suddenly the FF fan community I'd been a part of for three years was in a flame war/civil war, and it spread out all over the internet to other video game message boards. I swear to god, FFVII is responsible for the online video game fan community being a loathsome pit of snakes for the last 20 years. I ain't kidding.

FFVI will always be my favorite, but I think VII is just as good. I loved VIII, though the story and characters were a little below FF standard. I would never say FFIX is a bad game, I liked it enough to play through it several times. But I didn't appreciate them back-pedaling to "classic FF" shit after they'd evolved and gone so deep into left field with VII and VIII, and even VI to a degree. I loved X for sort of picking up the process where VIII left off, but I didn't like that there was no overworld map or airship that I could pilot myself. I will go to my grave being butt hurt that they named FF Online "FFXI" and FF Online 2 "FFXIV". That was purely down to cynical marketing. I loved XII, but again, was a little disappointed in the story and characters. It was obvious that Matsuno leaving halfway through the project did a lot of damage. When XIII, vsXIII, and agitoXIII all got announced at E3 2006, the only one I cared about was XIII proper. I assumed that after XIII had come and gone, then I could start to get interested in vsXIII. But XIII turned out to be such a heinous piece of shit that it pretty much killed my fandom for the franchise for a while. I never really got interested in vsXIII. It was only after the FFXV Duscae demo came out that I started to get interested. My hype has been building up since then and I'm really looking forward to FFXV now. I was pretty bummed when it got delayed, I had scheduled a stay-cation for the first week of Oct. I moved it to the first week of Dec, but right now I'm actually more excited for Watch Dogs 2, so I'm pissed I didn't set it for mid Nov. Screw you, Tabata. Shoulda just given us a day 1 patch, even if it took a whole 24 hours to download. Idiot.

For the record, my first RPG was D&D. My first video game RPG was Tunnels of Doom on the TI994A. My first console RPG was Drakkhen, shortly before FFIV. But I didn't bother playing it for more than a few hours, it was atrocious.

Pre FF7. Got into it from the first one, really liked the 4th and then played the 6th and became a super fan. I really disliked 7 so if I had gotten in at that time, I probably would never have became a FF fan.

RangerX

Banned
Yep I started with VII. I was 12 when it came out and was right in the middle of all the hype. It was brilliant at the time and I still remember that feeling when Cloud jumped off the train. The influence its had on me has faded over time, IX is my favourite, but I have a big soft spot for it.

kogasu

Final Fantasy I was my first. I loved it when I first played it and I still love it. It made me a fan although, I did play it after FFVII was already a thing if that's what you mean by "post FFVII".

Played all the SNES ones plus Tactics before getting to actually play FFVII.

The original Final Fantasy was my very first RPG. Over the years, I would come to play 2(SNES), 3(SNES), Adventure, and Legend 2 and 3. I loved the series. For me, the series peaked at 3 (VI). VII was a large disappointment for me, as was VIII. Unfortunately, outside of IX and XII, I haven't cared for a mainline Final Fantasy game since VI. Bravely Default is the best FF game since XII.

I mourn the loss of high fantasy in the FF series. The modernistic/sci-fi themes do nothing for me when the name Final Fantasy is on the box.

Top Bottom