• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you know anyone before they became famous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunster

oh and my mom went to College with Michael Jordan at UNC Chapel Hill. They didn't really interact but still...

Teepo671

I'm not sure whether or not she's still popular but one of my classmates back in middleschool and highschool became a popstar back in Korea. She joined some Korean pop group named SES under the name Eugene Kim. D: She visited Guam a few times after that and even gave me a signed copy of one of her group's cds!

thefro

Had a music class in college with Nicole Parker (who was on Mad TV and Elephaba in Wicked on Broadway). Also had a couple of folks from Straight No Chaser in there, plus another person who was nominated for a Drama Desk Award for a Broadway role.

I had a class with Jared Jeffries (played in NBA) as well, but he was already famous as a star basketball player.

My roommate was lab partners with Subway Jared in his Chemistry class. Seriously.

Very close friends with two women who went into adult entertainment. One was the recipient of an AVN award a few years ago.

Good times.

Had a music class in college with Nicole Parker (who was on Mad TV and Elephaba in Wicked on Broadway). Also had a couple of folks from Straight No Chaser in there, plus another person who was nominated for a Drama Desk Award for a Broadway role.

I had a class with Jared Jeffries (played in NBA) as well, but he was already famous as a star basketball player.

My roommate was lab partners with Subway Jared in his Chemistry class. Seriously.

I'm not sure on the validity of the story, but rumor has it that Subway Jared only became that because there was a Subway in his dorm(?) so it was the shortest distance he had to travel to get food. Is that accurate?

I knew the two twins, Brian and Brandon from the R&B group Jagged Edge, because they were the other set of twins besides us attending the same high school. I still see them from time and time and we'll say what's up and chat for a few minutes and keep it moving.

Although not really big, I was cool with The Rapper I-20 of Ludacris's Disturbing The Peace who's known for being on Ludacris's song "Move Bitch" because he lived on the same floor of our dorm room at college. He was part of a different group then and we would talk about music a lot. At that time Ludacris was only a DJ at the time on a popular Atlanta hip hop radio station and known as Chris Lova Lova.

Not really mainstream famous, but he's certainly internet infamous in certain quarters due to his political views, but I was best friends with Tommy Sotomayor for over a decade before he decided to get incredibly conservative and hateful especially towards Black women.

I'm certain there are others, but I I can't think of them right now.

sleepnaught

Kris Allen on American idol was from my town. We still have a music stage at our Town square with his name on it. Also, Peyton Hillis was a couple grades ahead of me in High School. Surprised to learn he made the 2012 Madden NFL cover.

I was a freshman when Sara Bareilles graduated from my high school, and I went to a few parties with Rey Malaluga, who also graduated a few years ahead of me.

That's about it.

ZOONAMI

I know Caroline Smith and Caitlyn Smith who have become fairly successful musicians (they aren't related). I wouldn't say they are really famous on a national level though.

Graduated high school with Paul Ryan.

In hindsight maybe I should have invited him to play Dungeons & Dragons with me and my friends. Maybe I could have prevented this whole mess. I'm sorry.

AKyemeni

Matthew Miazga from the US National soccer team (I think, don't follow football).

We used to be friends back in middle school.

Me personally no, but my older brothers used to hang out and play football/basketball with a kid in our apartment complex that is currently playing for the Tennessee Titans

I briefly went to church with musician who has recently been on the Billboard Top 40. He was kind of a flash in the pan, though.

thefro

I'm not sure on the validity of the story, but rumor has it that Subway Jared only became that because there was a Subway in his dorm(?) so it was the shortest distance he had to travel to get food. Is that accurate?

GXqwUnK.jpg

Apartments, not a dorm. Yes the story's accurate.

louiedog

We never really sat down and talked, but I played basketball a few times with a guy in high school who lived in the next town and went on to become a prominent part of a Super Bowl winning team.

I went to high school with Rene Chen, who is apparently a singer/songwriter in Taiwan now; and Sean Dulake, who is an actor in Korea now. I didn't know Rene well, but we did a project in Mandarin class together, and I was okay friends with Sean.

BKV
Jeremy Saulnier
Adam Goldberg (The Goldbergs)
Tunde Adebimpe (TV on the Radio)
Carlos Dengler (Interpol)
Mikki Kendall (@karnythia)

Probably forgetting someone.

I went to school with Tamara Witmer. She was a senior when I was a freshman, and was one of the anchors on the morning video announcements. She became a Playboy Playmate, and was also on The Rock of Love where she got kicked out for getting too drunk.

I also went to school with former MLS player Eric Brunner, and former NFL player Jay Richardson. I let Jay borrow a dollar for ice cream, and he never payed me back.

EDIT:. Oh yeah, and this dude Christian who's an R&B artist who was on BET.

NekoFever

One of my best friends from school is now a pretty famous DJ. I don't think you could call him mainstream famous but EDM-GAF would probably know him, he's been on the radio, tours the world and has some really famous fans.

• My brother dated Janet Evans
  • One of my childhood friends is a hand model, anytime you see Ironman's arm in any of the flims.. it's his.
  • Another one of my brother's ex gf's dad was the guy who created the original Jaws shark. Got some pictures of him inside the mouth years later when it was off set.
  • One of my friends is a mildly popular radio host
  • I used to party with Hoobastank and Linkin Park back in the day when they were just touring as nobodys.
  • My dad grew up 2 doors down from and was good friends with Carl Karcher, the founder of Carl's Jr. They were friends until he died, so I used to see Carl a few times a year or so growing up.

I've met a ton of celebrities in my life after they were famous, but I guess thats for another thread.

My mom actually dated Billy Zane back when she was at TASIS (The American School In Switzerland). They were in in the same year.

She thought he was an ass, upon retrospect.

I know this is about personally-met famous people, but whatever. I thought this was interesting. lol.

Didn't "Know" them, but was at a... er... guess you could call it a Death party for my mothers cousin (he was dying of cancer and they had a huge get together with all of the family). Ellie Goulding was there due to being a friend of the guys daughter.

Also, pretty sure some people I used to know became big in the indie scene maybe? I used to float about in the same social circles as Harry Koisser from Peace (apparently they did ok in some UK charts or something).

Also, doesn't really count, but I know people who went to school with Kit Harrington.

Oh, and my friends mom used to date Rick Mayall.

I think that's it. Don't think there's any one else famous that I can find links to. Apparently the Midlands is great for becoming big.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Went to HS with Fatal1ity or whatever his name is - the pro gamer.

I didn't know him that well; but pretty much everyone a couple years younger who played Halo or CoD was "pro" and "top 100 ranked" - yeah, okay.

I went to high school with Niykee Heaton. You'd be forgiven for not knowing who she is, which is why I linked her Wikipedia page. She got a Justin Beiber deal, got seen on YouTube doing covers and somehow got a record deal.

She was an absolute horrid person. I don't like to use the word bitch, but she certainly was one, bossing people around, pushing people, being hostile. Constantly complaining about having to be around idiots and that she was better than everybody. Her carefully written "backstory" full of bullshit (Lived in South Africa? False.) includes the fact that she was bullied at Geneva High School. I would say the exact opposite, being stuck in homeroom with her.

Literally zero people thought she would go anywhere, but sure enough she's something. Looking back through things, it looks like she pulled a Brittney Spears by posing nude shortly after we all graduated and that somehow spiked her popularity through the roof. Goes to show that sex sells, but it doesn't necessarily equal talent.

She is... a rather attractive woman.

FyreWulff

Also didn't know them personally due to age gap, but 311 was from our neighborhood and went to the high school 2 blocks down the street from us.

There was a period of time where they pretended they were from California on MTV, and we all stopped listening to them for being sellouts. SELLOUTS!

Lucreto

My uncle helped a man whose car broke down at the side of the road. Turns out it was before he was famous Bono.

Breakaway

Beanie Wells who went to Ohio State and played in the NFL for the Cardinals. My sister went out with one of his brothers so I was around his family a lot.

Watevaman

I knew a guy who is pretty damn good on guitar and has done tours around the world with a few bands. I wouldn't call him a friend, but we hung out with the same crowd in school.

highrider

Banned
I went to high school with Mark Bryan who is the guitarist in Hootie and the Blowfish. Yes, I'm old. We had some common friends and we both played football. He was always a cool, humble type of person, still is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom