• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you know anyone before they became famous?

Status
Not open for further replies.
some elite NHL players like Saku and Mikko Koivu, Rasmus Ristolainen etc.

j/k my co-workers know them but i don't :/ i only knew a dude who became a millionaire race car driver (Markus Niemelä), who almost made it to the F1. i remember encouraging him when we were young kids, and he was into karting.. i literally told him "maybe you'll get to drive formula 1 some day!", he got pretty close. now he's pretty seriously injured though, with memory issues etc, so yeah.. (because this happened: https://youtu.be/bazJSO_cNps)

cacildo

Gary used to be a games magazine writer in England in the early 90s. A spectrum was a games focused PC marketed by Timex in the us but made by Sinclair.

i had a spectrum growing up. Somehow they had a niche market over here in brasil

And sometimes i got a "crash" magazine, which i couldnt understand at the time but i used to love the pictures. Is that one?

hobozero

Went to high school with the guy who won some contest to be the new frontman for INXS. IIRC, he got hooked on blow and they ditched him at an airport in Asia. Couldn't have happened to a nicer shithead. His dad was the principal, too.

____

Shared a class with Kenny Phillips that got signed to the NY Giants. He's also one of my best friends cousin (they grew up in the same house) and he then married my cousin, so we're family by marriage and I see him at family gatherings.

I don't think he still plays though.

Kenai

My parents were pretty good friends with Red Grammer when I was very young and living in California (they asked him to sing at my bday party multiple times and he never turned them down, not even once), so I was fairly good buddies with his kid Andy Grammar since we were the same age and got along real well. They traveled a lot so I usually got to see him at least one or two times a year til I moved.

Imagine my shock when I randomly hear his tunes 20 something years later on the local stations and then see them make multi-platinum..Woulda high fived him hard if I could have.

My mom's old roommate/best friend dated Matt Groening in the late eighties early nineties and I had dinner with him. This was right when he started the simpsons I believe. He had also out out these trading cards about death. Can't remember what they were called but each card was an interesting way you could die. Getting eaten by wolves. Killer dinosaurs lol whatever. He gave me an entire signed deck that I promptly lost. I was more excited for those cards than that he created the Simpsons. I loved his Hell comics series at the time too.

Also my previous roommate is a part time small actress who played the girlfriend to the kid in "A Kid in King Arthur's Court" or whatever it was called and she's been on CSI new orleans and in the forthcoming Geostorm movie with Gerard Butler. That's about it. Met plenty of famous ppl but no one that I knew personally that became famous unless my former Roomie does lol

Apt101

I went to high school with some guy who won a couple of rings with the Patriots. Can't even remember his name. We called him by his initials. One of those guys.

I think that's it. Oh wait no, I met Grant Gustin twice when he was still in high school. He went to some special art school a friend taught at, and I remember him from some functions related to my alma mater. He looked pretty much the same as he does now, just had weird frosted 90's hair years after it went out of style.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
One of my best friends dated Dallas Green for a while before Alexis blew up.

Spenny

My older cousin was friends with all the members of No Doubt before they blew up. That's about it for super famous people.

bill0527

A certain actor who comes from my Smallville town and will be suiting up for Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2. In a couple of months. We went to high school together and we were in drama club together, but he probably doesn't remember me since he was 2 years older than me.

emily ratajkowski used to spend the night at my house because she was good friends with my sister. Entourage movie was really weird for me

Lace

A cousin became a supermodel if you consider that famous. I can no longer follow her on Facebook. Before anyone asks I'm not going to be sharing her name.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Not famous-famous.
A guy who played in MLB for nine years used to babysit me when he was in HS. He didn't play high school baseball because his grades weren't good enough. He got signed after trying out for the Astros at 18.
The guitarist for Angels & Airwaves was a friend of a friend and I used to chat with him at the back of class.

Aurongel

Bon Jovi's daughter was a good friend of mine during my time at Hamilton College in rust belt NY. She's fallen of the map though and I haven't seen her in years.

I went to grade school with Jason Farol. I had no idea he was a singer until ~4 years ago I was in Europe on a trip with my (ex)gf and we were watching TV in our hotel room one night, and we saw him perform on Duets. I said "holy shit I know that guy!" My gf called me a liar but once we got home I pulled out some middle/high school yearbooks and there he was. Nice guy btw.

I also knew (and had a small crush on) soey milk in high school. I wouldn't call her "famous" but she has a bunch of followers and I've seen her artwork posted around the internet. She's crazy talented. Some of you may recognize this painting of hers:

CTB9b9JWcAAsXdJ.jpg:large

MazeHaze

Banned
The black keys went to my highschool and graduated a few years before me. The singer/guitarist was a jock soccer player lol.

My buddy went to high school with lebron (same graduating class)

My friend used to date Jennifer Love Hewitt when we were younger.

I used to talk to jacksepticeye on the Gamespot System Wars forums before he started doing Youtube, I actually even remember him doing a thread asking for video tips.

Same actually. Now that you mention it, I remember you from the gamespot forums as well, mostly in off-topic. Always good to see old gamespotters.

sphagnum

Banned
Closest thing for me is that a friend of mine in high school was a contestant on Best Ink. He owns a number of tattoo shops now but we haven't kept in touch.

I went to college with Ben Affleck. My friend was his roommate. We shared a bong a few times. I was pretty shocked when I saw him get up on stage on TV and receive an Academy for "Goodwill Hunting". He was all slimmed down and looked good and I was like wha?

Was buddies in middle school with someone who's now a successful singer in Israel. His last few videos have around five million views, which considering the country's population is around eight million seems pretty damn good!

Jag

Knew Judd Apatow in HS and worked for him at our radio station. Pretty sure I remember Idina Menzel too but she was a few years younger.

my friend went to school with brie larson

he didn't really know her because she was always getting pulled out of class

that's all i got

edit: i should prob mention this is elementary school

rrs

i followed that guy who got a toy car in a condom stuck up their ass way before it happened, if that counts as fame

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I worked with Jonah Ray for quite some time on X-Play at G4 many years ago, and he's about to become pretty damn famous.

Also I went to high school and am still friends with the girl on the right:
8be4739c.gif

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Maroon 5 would hang out at my apartment in Santa Monica. I think before they changed their name to Maroon 5. One of my associate producers at Conspiracy Games was an ex-stripper from Crazy Girls (Keifer Sutherland liked her) who loved videogames and was really, really into live music and local bands. Great taste. Very cool girl. She would stay over at my place quite often. Anyway she dug them very early on. And I believe Adam dug her. Anyway Jesse burnt my sofa with a joint. True story.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
i had a spectrum growing up. Somehow they had a niche market over here in brasil

And sometimes i got a "crash" magazine, which i couldnt understand at the time but i used to love the pictures. Is that one?

Yes. Zzap 64 was the commodore 64 version. Jaz Rignall and Gaz Penn were other leading lights. In England at the time it was very important to contract (or expand) your name to include a z and a vowel.

So -
Gary = Gaz, Gazza
Julian = Jaz, Jazza
Mark = Maz, Mazza

Etc

Benedict Cumberbatch would be Bezza Cumbazzitch and Orlando Bloom would be Ozzo Blozzo.

I realize nobody asked for this level of detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom