• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you know anyone before they became famous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

besada

Banned
Amy Acker (from Angel, etc.) was good friends with my friend's sister. They were in high school drama together, and we used to go see their plays. My friend went out with her once, but nothing clicked.

jackal27

Banned
Jon Cozart (very well known Youtuber and Handsome
Dude) was my sister-in-law's on again off again boyfriend all through jr. high and high school. She's an actor like him so they got hooked up through drama stuff. He's a pretty nice guy. I remember talking to him about his videos back in like 2007? 8? Didn't have any more subscribers than I did back in those days. He's blown up now. People always ask my wife why he follows her on Twitter. Talented guy.

I played in high school jazz and had a few classes with the drummer from Imagine Dragons. Good guy, huge nerd. Another guy in my class is probably about to be in Congress. That's pretty much all I got.

gfxtwin

Like famous famous? Don't think so. Met the drummer of Nothing More right before they blew up in the metal scene, but that's all that comes to mind.

Wvrs

My best friend from my younger schooldays is and up-and-coming professional golfer, weird seeing him listed in tournaments or on TV. Wouldn't say he's famous yet, but if he keeps on with this trajectory he will be.

HardRojo

An acquaintance from my hometown became a fairly well known DJ who plays at famous people's events and well known clubs here in Lima.

ionitron

Amy Acker (from Angel, etc.) was good friends with my friend's sister. They were in high school drama together, and we used to go see their plays. My friend went out with her once, but nothing clicked.

Whoa! That's really crazy. Lover her in Angel.

Edit: Another one, but not my experience: My dad was until his recent retirement a photography professor at a small community college by the name of College of DuPage. He had a student who didn't really ever turn in assignments, and when he did they were rarely to specifications. My dad pulled him over and said that he needs to get his act together for the next assignment or he fails. He comes back with photos of a young rapper on stage in a small Chicago club. My dad thought the pictures were great and asked who the performer was. The guy's response? "He's this guy named Kanye West. I think he's gonna blow up soon.". Turns out Kanye got a hold of his picture and he's one of Kanye's official photographers now.

This is an awesome story, thanks for sharing- Can't believe I missed it page one.

My uncle is Mike Zohn (I've known him my whole life) who co-owns the antique shop Obscura Antiques & Oddities and had the TV show "Oddities" on the Science and Discovery Channel which ran for 4 seasons.

yella

My sister is Rihanna's best friend. I remember when my sister introduced me to her 2001 when she was still pretty young; the next time I remember seeing her is just before her record deal when they crashed at my place after going to a club looking hot af. Whenever she comes home we always take our kids to see her.

WiseguyMVP

Have seen and knew a few people that became famous in different industries over the years. Music, TV, movies, gaming. One peson I recently discovered that made a career for themselves was Echo Kellum. Used to work at my local Blockbuster video and we used to talk about movies,games and stuff. He was always cool and I was glad to hear he was acting now.

Magni

One of my friends from my previous job quit that job to travel the world and do Facebook videos. His biggest videos are in the 10s of millions of views. I show up for a brief instant in two of his videos, that have a combined 6 million views. I've had people come up to me and say "I think I saw you on Facebook" because of those videos haha.

Probably not someone everybody here knows, but I'm sure at least some of you have seen his vids.

Zen Aku

Not someone before they were famous. But I know Wes Johnson, he's the voice of the Washington Capitals, he's also an actor and have been in several movies and video games. He's pretty well known around the Maryland/DC/Virginia area.

I went to school with his son, used to see Wes every now and then. Saw him at a convention once too, he was cool enough to sign a copy of Fallout 4 and Skyrim for me (he's in 3 and 4 and also Skyrim). Wonderful guy. Even have a sandwich named after him lol.

matt360

I went to high school with Ryan Lochte in Florida. He was a couple grades under me and was pretty good friends with my sisters.

Vince Carter and Sebastian Janikowski also went to rival schools at the same time. I played soccer against Sebastian and met Vince a couple times at the local gym for midnight basketball. Vince's step-father was a substitute teacher for us a few times and he was super nice.

Most importantly, a good friend growing up won GUTS and has a piece of the Agro Crag in his home. I got to touch it.

iPorygon

Not me personally, but my cousin played high school football with Rob Gronkowski, and from all the stories Ive heard about him, he is the most stereotypical dumb jock, doing childish lockeroom antics (prancing around the lockeroom in only a jockstrap, borderline hazing, generally being a nuisance) and getting in trouble off-field for similarly stupid antics. Supposedly he was
close to being expelled from his public high school senior year, but was saved because he was being recruited for college ball and you know schools and where their priorities lie when it comes to sports.

Besides from him, not a lot of famous people really come out of Buffalo.

Theodran

My class mate in junior high, whom I am still acquainted with to this date, had a younger brother who was extremely tall but fairly thin. He played basketball and wasn't bad at it AFAIK. But he also was bullied, although I don't remember for shat. After all, he was 3 years younger than me in a school of 600 students.

Cue a couple of years later, the kid is massive and ripped, one of the strongest men in the world, and starring as The Mountain in Game of Thrones, looking nothing like he did when he was 12.

My class mate in junior high, whom I am still acquainted with to this date, had a younger brother who was extremely tall but fairly thin. He played basketball and wasn't bad at it AFAIK. But he also was bullied, although I don't remember for shat. After all, he was 3 years younger than me in a school of 600 students.

Cue a couple of years later, the kid is massive and ripped, one of the strongest men in the world, and starring as The Mountain in Game of Thrones, looking nothing like he did when he was 12.

Very cool

Ray Fisher (plays Cyborg in the upcoming Justice League) is a family friend. I watched his teaser trailer yesterday and it is blowing my mind. Really excited for him. Authentic, wonderful dude.

Creepy

"famous"
A few Black Metal bands.

I had a solo project in the 00's. but I played bass for a couple of acts on the side.
I've since quit music though.

nel e nel

I was in a DJ crew with Chris Kilmore from Incubus. I still remember when he told us about the audition for the band. We eventually got to open for them at the House of Blues in LA.

Went to school with Cut Chemist (he was getting his MFA when I was an undergraduate). Had him as a guest on my radio show and did a house party with him once.

A band by the name of Xero 818 once opened for a band I was in at the time. Got to be friendly with several of the members, especially their DJ. Ran into them a short while later when I was working at Zomba Music, and they had a publishing deal there. They went through several name changes during the recording of their first album. You may know them as Linkin Park.

Pastulio

Banned
Went to high school with Oscar Isaacs. I had a few classes with him but didn't talk to him much except for projects and what not.

Went to college with Juan Carlos (Spanish Singer). We did a few scenes together in drama class. I was the Mercurio to his Romeo.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Went to high school with a girl who ended becoming a fairly famous Indonesian actress, model, and VJ. She was very shy in high school but very sweet and nice.

Adrian Neville.

He started out in a shit little wrestling company called IWF. I used to take some of the classes for new starters/kids. Needless to say after one session it was clear that he didn't need my advice.

When he pops up on TV I take great pleasure in telling people "I taught him how to do this".

Hoo-doo

Banned
I was in the same class with some guys that ended up as dutch professional footballers. Siem and Luuk de Jong.

Both have been in the dutch national team with the Euro/World cup.
They were stuck-up pricks, to be honest. But it was kinda neat to see one of them on the international stage during the WC with me realizing that I knew that guy from somewhere.

So yeah, pretty boring.

Went to college with a guy who would become a fairly big name MLB player. We weren't friends but friendly, had the same major so had like 6 classes together.

Oh and also the GM of a major American sports team.

Shadybiz

Ray Fisher (plays Cyborg in the upcoming Justice League) is a family friend. I watched his teaser trailer yesterday and it is blowing my mind. Really excited for him. Authentic, wonderful dude.

Ha! I'll be damned...Fisher is my wife's cousin. ...Or was, before a divorce made that not quite correct. But yeah...small world! I didn't note that in my other post, because they really haven't seen each other in a couple of decades, but still pretty cool.

senahorse

I went to school (primary) with Andrew Stockdale who went on to become lead singer of Wolfmother. Also went to school (high school)with Olly Thomas from Butterfingers (lesser known Aussie band).

RawNuts

High school with Arin Hanson (Egoraptor) when he was just starting out on Newgrounds.

Played the GBA four swords that came with ALttP with him and a group in the cafeteria, good times. He let me borrow the Virtual On for Dreamcast which I didn't know existed at the time even though I loved the first one on Saturn. I had a science or chemistry class with him as well and he would do really good Sonic and Shadow voices, I was blown away. He was always really wacky and fun to be around.

____

My sister is Rihanna's best friend. I remember when my sister introduced me to her 2001 when she was still pretty young; the next time I remember seeing her is just before her record deal when they crashed at my place after going to a club looking hot af. Whenever she comes home we always take our kids to see her.

Can you introduce us?

I guess famous if you're a Titans or Rams fan but a few of my friends went to high school with NFL wide receiver Kenny Britt. Did not have nice things to say about him. Heh.

Between the ages of 10 and 12, my best friend was a guy called Alexander Brouwer. He was naturally gifted at any sport (on top of being exceptionally bright), and in hindsight it was pretty clear whatever he was going to do with his life, he'd be the best at it.

Well, some 12 years later I find out he went with beach volleyball, because he's on the news having just won his first world championship. Last year he very nearly missed out on olympic gold, which was crazy to witness on live television.

I was in a band in college with some very talented people. One went on to start Vulfpeck and 2 others went on to do the Batman musical, Firebringer, and some work with A Very Potter Musical.

Also my mother in law used to date Tom Sizemore, but that was before I was born.

Busaiku

He's not really that famous, but my cousin has had small appearances in Disney Channel and Nickelodeon shows, and some super small movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom