• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you know anyone before they became famous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acohrs

Daniel Radcliffe went to my secondary school when it was announced that he would be Harry Potter, barely saw him again after the announcement, nice enough guy, year above so barely saw him though.

Some girl that I had classes with in high school went and did a few low budget teen comedy movies or some shit.

Also, I was pretty involved in the community for this old game called 3D Movie Maker back in the day (Maybe some of you have played it). One of the guys was Peter Atencio, who directed Key and Peele/Keanu. A few other people from that small community also went on to do some cool stuff like direct music videos have TV pilots, etc. Really need to know that they used to make goofy 3d movies back in the day

dem

Derek Boogaard.. aka The Boogeyman
Last of the NHL enforcers.

Went to school with him. I remember when he hit a big growth spurt and had to use crutches. I also remember his parents driving him hours away to get boxing lessons to help with hockey fighting.

He got addicted to painkillers and overdosed before he hit 30. There was a really good story about him in the New York Times which shone some light on the road to the NHL as an enforcer. Pretty dark stuff.

bosseye

I was friends with Amy Winehouse's older brother at primary school. I remember Amy being a pain in the arse 4 year old.

My wife works with a guy who claimed to be one of the recording guitarists on guitar hero.

McGullive

Neo Member
Eh, what do I've got to lose.

Denzel Curry's his name. He may not have a million subscribers or anything but he's certainly making a name for himself, more so than anyone else I know.

that's sick. idk if they all went to the same school, but that means u probably grew up around Pouya, Fat Nick, Yung Simmie, SpaceGhostPurrp, Lofty305, Ruben Slikk, Mike Dece, and a bunch of other popular underground rappers.

if im not mistaken thats also the school Trayvon Martin went to : (

I went to a church when I was like 10 with a girl who became an actress and starred in a Final Destination movie and guest starred in Teen Wolf. That's as close as I've gotten to knowing someone "famous." She's been in other films and shows too, but man it was super weird walking into Final Destination not knowing she was in it and going "huh, she looks familiar....wait a minute!"

HvySky

My mom was childhood friends with Larry the Cable Guy. Pretty sure they were neighbors and went to the same school. He was the class clown, big surprise.

ionitron

that's sick. idk if they all went to the same school, but that means u probably grew up around Pouya, Fat Nick, Yung Simmie, SpaceGhostPurrp, Lofty305, Ruben Slikk, Mike Dece, and a bunch of other popular underground rappers.

if im not mistaken thats also the school Trayvon Martin went to : (

The first high school that Denzel went to was the one I was in. Then he left (Apparently got expelled, don't remember for what though) and that second school he went to was where Trayvon was for a couple of years, and probably around where he knew those other rappers. The school where Trayvon went to when he died though, was another one, which actually happened to be blocks from where I used to live, scarily enough. My roommates might actually have known Trayvon Martin before he died since they all for sure went to that school at the same time, unless they were 8th graders, so I'll ask them when they get home because damn, I wonder what it was like to be at that school when all of that was happening.

Edit: Wow, well Trayvon was also in my graduating class so I definitely have friends who went to his school at that time.

IHaveIce

Banned
Am/Was "friends" with a couple of guys who started rapping here in Germany just for fun and then kinda exploded in popularity and now are playing in big concerts here and raking in a ton of money.

Even hung out with them at the first gigs just because we got backstage and got free booze and stuff

Rad-

One of my best childhood friends was third in Miss Finland competition and she did some reality TV shows. Haven't talked to her in ages though.

I grew up with NBA player Al Harrington and NFL player/Patriot killer David Tyree.

I posted it a few years ago, but a friend of mine from grad school is now a professor at Columbia University and had a PBS documentary done about her work in understanding how memories are formed.

Edit: I suppose I played pickup basketball against every decent BC football player (including Matt Ryan, BJ Raji, Gosder Cherilus) and basketball player Reggie Jackson, in the mid to late 2000s.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I went to school with one of the guys who won American Idol. Wasn't in the same grade, but I was there at the same time. I still see his parents in church every Sunday.

zethren

Banned
One of my best friends is currently filming a movie, and his character is the title role so that's pretty damn cool. It's a pretty big movie, too. You guys will know it when it comes out. But I can't really say anything more than that about it haha

badblue

My ex-sister-in-law's cousin is a DJ (techno, house, rave, breakbeat) and has a radio show on BBC Radio 1. One of her songs hit the top 40 in the UK.

Viewt

I would say limited fame. Some people I was friends with in college (and Facebook/Instagram friends with now, for the most part) with have been pretty successful breaking in behind the scenes in the film industry. One of them worked on Her for Spike Jonze and does a lot of stuff for Vice now.

I went to a big performing arts school, and a couple of those people have had success as dancers and theater actors/actresses, but not really on the national stage.

I'm sure a handful of these people WILL be famous one day, though. They're all really talented, and it's cool to see good people do well in the world. :)

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
My best friend as a kid wrote and directed a film with two oscar winners. You wouldn't know his name, but you have also possibly heard music from the band he is in, as they have been used for movie trailers, general ads, and etc.

Cepheus

Connor Ball of the Vamps was in the year above me in high school. He performed for my music class once before he left school.

A girl in my year in high school ended up on the Archers, a British farming radio show.

And my uncle played college basketball in America and did some sports commentary as well.

Nice girl I would talk to in biology class became a model right out of high school and then went on to acting.
I first realized she was getting popular when I was walking through a store and saw her face on a magazine cover. Since then she's been on Dexter, 90210, One Tree Hill, Two and a half men, and more.
She was always really sweet so I was happy to see her succeed in a field filled with overgrown egos. She uses the nickname people knew her by in high school as her professional name.

There's another girl who has found success as the singer of a band. Beautiful girl, super short. They've opened for some pretty big names. I didn't cross paths with her much during school, though. I remember being impressed the first time I heard her sing at school though.

I looked up alumni from previous years before my time and there are a couple names people would definitely recognize, but not people I ever knew personally.

My coworker played high school basketball against Obama when he went to Punahou. He likes to show this group photo of Obama and him in it.

Other than that nope. The closest I got was a kpop singer liking my IG post.

Nerokis

Only in Colombia, really. One of my family members became Miss Colombia, and the other launched a career after becoming "Queen of the Carnival," which is a big but super Colombia-specific thing. The latter ended up dating Carles Puyol, the legendary Barcelona captain, and to this day that blows my mind.

I went to high school with Josh Dobbs, Tennessee's star quarterback from the past few years. Super nice guy, incredibly smart too.

My mom's best friend used to babysit for Ryan's Seacrest.

One of my best friends used to book hardcore/punk/indie shows in my hometown, so a lot of bands would come through, and I used to help do a lot of setup/teardown, and promotion. A lot of people from those bands would go onto bigger and better things, but I doubt those levels of success would count as "famous".

Some girl that I went to school with was on American Idol last year. She was never in my circle of friends though, and I don't think I ever had any classes with her.

Went to Highschool with an MLB player. Did about a year or two in the majors then got sent to the minor leagues. Based off his racist FB posts I hope his career tanks and he's forever depressed.

Not someone before they were famous. But I know Wes Johnson, he's the voice of the Washington Capitals, he's also an actor and have been in several movies and video games. He's pretty well known around the Maryland/DC/Virginia area.

I went to school with his son, used to see Wes every now and then. Saw him at a convention once too, he was cool enough to sign a copy of Fallout 4 and Skyrim for me (he's in 3 and 4 and also Skyrim). Wonderful guy. Even have a sandwich named after him lol.

wait what, NHL commentator who does video game voice work? can i have his life..?

bman94

Kent Jones. Went to the sams high school a year apart. I was in the Jazz Band the year after he left. He was, and still is, a phenomenal piano player. He was part of our Music Production "major" at my high school. We were a performing arts school.

I think the funniest thing about his success was his name before Kent Jones. His original rap name was Bugatti Da Hybrid. Lmao it was a wtf name. Kent Jones is a lot better. I respect DJ for all the hard work he has done, its been a long time coming.

gosox333

I saw Ryan Gosling at a grocery store in Los Angeles years ago. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Google

I went to school with Charlie Austin of Southampton FC fame.

He was a couple of years below me, very small and very good at Tennis.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I saw Ryan Gosling at a grocery store in Los Angeles years ago. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
Get so tired of seeing this same pasted stupid shit all the time.

MilkyJoe

My brother fucked a Spice Girl, if that counts.

I also know 3 actors, and used to be on talking terms with Sean Bean, before I moved away.

I haven't, but my grandpa and great-uncle ran a TV/Radio repair shop in Detroit and a young Stevie Wonder came in to get his radio fixed.

One of my best friends is currently filming a movie, and his character is the title role so that's pretty damn cool. It's a pretty big movie, too. You guys will know it when it comes out. But I can't really say anything more than that about it haha
Aquaman? Black Panther? Han Solo?

Spuck-uk

Banned
Minor league, but I've known streamer SovietWomble for years.

My finances family know Daniel Craig, his family live a few doors down.

Kweh

I went to school with John Oliver, he was a couple of years above me though. I was in the same year as his brother.

Amazed at how well John has done.

Jezbollah

I wouldn't call him really famous, but there was a guy in my year at school who I was friends with - he was a huge wrestling fan and made a living as a pro wrestler.

He participated for years on the independent circuit, and in both Ring of Honor and TNA. He's apparently competed against the likes of AJ Styles, Kevin Owens, Nigel McGuinness, Christopher Daniels, Doug Williams and Teddy Hart....

Nothing crazy. Went to high school with miss America from a few years back. My gf at the time was friends with her and my other friend dated her . Also, knight from the real world and challenges. I knew him and his whole family. One of my other friends broke his nose once outside a bar lol. Rip

Jaeger

No one near the level of some of these guys mentioned in this thread. But I was chum with Egoraptor back when we made sprites with other artist in the early 2000's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom