• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you know anyone before they became famous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

driggonny

Banned
Apparently I went to high school with the person who played negasonic teenage warhead in Deadpool and saw her post on Facebook that she got the gig.

LiK

I guess I knew some people in the gaming industry as online buddies who got pretty big now. But we were never close friends.

Loxley

The closest thing for me would be a friend of mine from high school who is an actress - she's been in a few Honda commercials and has a pretty strong stage career. If she ever breaks out big I won't be surprised - she's a really talented singer as well.

kai3345

Banned
Jon Cozart (very well known Youtuber and Handsome
Dude) was my sister-in-law's on again off again boyfriend all through jr. high and high school. She's an actor like him so they got hooked up through drama stuff. He's a pretty nice guy. I remember talking to him about his videos back in like 2007? 8? Didn't have any more subscribers than I did back in those days. He's blown up now. People always ask my wife why he follows her on Twitter. Talented guy.

hey! I went to college with Jon! Me, him and a few other guys founded the film club at UTSA

also one of the other founders of that aforementioned film club was Dillon Gates who apparently set one of, if not the fastest times in American Ninja Warrior

Quick

Banned
Friend of mine was in an episode of a show that was on CNN last year. She was in two music videos recently as well.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
My dad was in the same school club in college as Matt Groening so they interacted a bit.

I haven't gone out of my way to find out how all of my old classmates are doing, but some people I've known have certainly grown in popularity in their own ways. Oddly enough the two biggest I know are probably my dad and my sister. My dad does a lot of work, a television program, various interviews, and gets invited to various events around the world and has met with everyone from Willie Nelson to the first lady of Japan. In extension I've met several interesting people through him, but not before they were famous.

GloveSlap

Went to high school with Oscar Isaac but he was a couple years ahead so i only saw him around. My sister was in drama with him and knew him really well though.

Kjellson

There was a girl in my class when I was a kid who became an actor. Not exactly famous, but she has been in a couple of TV shows,

Madness

Carly Rae Jepsen I met at the gym several times before her song. In fact I even flirted with her quite bit. Another is Jacob Hoggard who only Canadians would know. Lived on my street for years before Hedley, played road hockey, etc.

Was classmates with Pharoah Monch and Prince Po, they were known as Organized Konfusion back in the day. Also Kwame, with the polka dots, and Mr. Complex, all rappers I used to make beats with banging on the tables at lunch time in high school. I also was classmates with a uber talented guy named James Parris, who has done special effects work for movies like Avatar, Spider-Man, games like Mass Effect, all kinds of stuff. He also has his own film company, Paper Tiger Films. My high school, Art and Design in Manhattan, spawned some high profile talent for sure.

Only one that kinda counts is Stacie the bartender on The Hills, back when that was a thing.

Was friends with her and I saw her every Friday for a good while when she worked at the Red Robin around here. I liked her, I think she liked me - she wanted me to go to some after-dance party - but I was in the theater watching The Last Samurai.

My friend used to date Jennifer Love Hewitt when we were younger.

I used to talk to jacksepticeye on the Gamespot System Wars forums before he started doing Youtube, I actually even remember him doing a thread asking for video tips.
Same with Sean, I've podcasted with him before.

I went to school with Mandy Moore and Kenny Carkeet (Awolnation).

I also knew feep as an online acquaintance back in the 90s before he became one of GAFs darling game developers and Byakuya.

I went to high school with Tory Lanez. I used to hype up his freestyle battles with St.Edmund campion. The one time I didnt he got jumped.

I went to high school with the giys from 4 yall Entertainment.

And Keisha Chante, she used to get some unnecessary hate for stealing other girls manz and for having a head that resembled a bobble head.

Askani

I went to high school with and had a couple classes with Mike Rucker. He was a Defensive End with the Carolina Panthers for like 9 years.

Pretty sure I hung out with a guy mor than once that's now an artist with his own book with Image Comics. We're more sorta-friends now on FB recently, and more so than before so I'm not sure if that counts.

cwmartin

I'm close friends with the drummer in Speedy Ortiz. He's already uncomfortable with me saying this.

And hes not famous, shit.

maybe...I know someone who just made her debut single, she also does stuff with postmodern jukebox. she's a nice girl, and she dances like a crazy lady and for that she is one of my favorite dance partners lol.

That's pretty badass.

I only know people who know people

We were so surprised when his band broke. It was all 'Did you hear about Ben Kowalowicz's band?

My wife went to high school with Seth Rogen. They weren't friends, though she got along well with and liked Evan. She says it's hilarious how Seth's laugh hasn't changed at all.

Was classmates with Pharoah Monch and Prince Po, they were known as Organized Konfusion back in the day. Also Kwame, with the polka dots, and Mr. Complex, all rappers I used to make beats with banging on the tables at lunch time in high school. I also was classmates with a uber talented guy named James Parris, who has done special effects work for movies like Avatar, Spider-Man, games like Mass Effect, all kinds of stuff. He also has his own film company, Paper Tiger Films. My high school, Art and Design in Manhattan, spawned some high profile talent for sure.

Dude, that's amazing.

You can't go wrong with their first two albums, Stress is a 10/10 rap album and one of only 17 rap albums to get a 10/10 from.

ENM89

Neo Member
Carly Rae Jepsen I met at the gym several times before her song. In fact I even flirted with her quite bit. Another is Jacob Hoggard who only Canadians would know. Lived on my street for years before Hedley, played road hockey, etc.

Carly Rae Jensen was a couple years ahead of me in high school. I remember my English class in grade 10 worked with her drama class when they were putting on The Laramie Project.

Sesha

One of my classmates in elementary is a pop singer whose, I think, debut single was a nationally chart-topping hit song. She had another, smaller hit besides that, I think. I don't know what she's up to now. Probably still working on music.

Another one of my schoolmates and later one of my classmates in junior high is a fairly well-known actor nationally, and now a critically acclaimed author. She's been the lead in two movies in recent years and doesn't seem likely to stop. She'll probably hit the international scene very soon. She did commercials and small roles when she was younger, so it's cool that she broke out in the end.

Went to middle school with Ryan Braun (Milwaukee Brewers) and Matt Cassel (Tennessee Titans). Knew Ryan, didn't know Matt as he was two years older.

Knew Paul Rodriguez Jr (P-Rod) before he blew up with his City Stars part. He skated for the local shop that I hung out at all the time. The team manager for the shop at the time is now one of the Co-owners of Primitive. They're both great people.

Also knew Mike Mo Capaldi before he blew up. Super super nice guy as well.

I later worked at that shop and became friends with Jake Richardson, who isn't super famous but he's been in a bunch of tv shows and movies including Clerks 2 and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

Went to high school with Nana Gbewonyo who was in Coach Carter and Gran Turino. He also plays in a bunch of Celebrity Basketball games held by Power 106 in LA. Didn't know him well though. More of a friend of a friend.

I also used to skate with a guy who's a professional Kickboxer now. He isn't super well known yet but he's had a few televised fights for Lion Fight.

I also became friends with a young woman who created the Jessica Jones poster/key art that won a design award for Art Machine. We became friends through skateboarding as well.

Dazzler

Was friends with Conor mcgregor when we were both super young. We'd break into the local football club's all-weather field to play football

He had a bowl haircut and was a nice, quiet kid. I went to secondary school in a different suburb and lost touch with him. Next thing I know he's in the UFC

I haven't spoke to the guy in 15 years to be fair

dpunk3

My relative is the bassist for Bruce Springsteen (Garry Tallent), but I've never met him in person.

My cousin's mother's brother I think it is?

Meowster

I've been friends with Katherine McNamara from Shadowhunters and The Maze Runner series since middle school. I haven't spoken to her in a year or two but I'm glad she's having such big success.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I know a guy who's friends with a girl whose cousin is the singer from Sugar Ray. Does that count?

Also I had a gym teacher who claimed to have won some fights in the UFC, he never got famous though.

seb

Banned
Not exactly a celebrity, but I met Tim Moss at a coding party when he was 18. He was going by the name of Manikin back then. I was blown away when I recognized him in the bonus of God of War!

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I have relative who was on ER for years now that I think of it. I got a custom made valentine of them posing with George Clooney in his Batman suit, which he autographed. Then I saw the movie and threw it away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom