• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diddy Kong: Back and More Bananas Than Ever in Smash for Wii U / 3DS!

If you knew how to Banana Lock you were a god among men. I hope Diddy gets just one banana at time in this game. Or maybe things will be slightly changed and 2 bananas won't be so bad in the hands of an expert.

Assuming that Glide Tossing is out of the game (which I see no reason why it would remain), Diddy all of a sudden becomes much more manageable to fight against.

Rizsparky

201309021902438ea.jpg

reminds me of this

I didn't know anyone disliked Diddy. I expected this thread to be all positive that one of the best Brawl characters got confirmed.

I'm surprised at the sentiments that Diddy doesn't feel like a major character. He's Donkey Kong's right hand man. He's always had a better shot than any other DK character at being in the game. Not counting DK himself of course.

And of course this doesn't rule out any other DK character from being in the game. I'm glad Diddy's back. He was one of the better fighters in Brawl.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I didn't know anyone disliked Diddy. I expected this thread to be all positive that one of the best Brawl characters got confirmed.

You'd be surprised, someone linked to the brawl dojo for several of the new characters back then so we could read reactions, I was completely shocked at the reactions to diddy, people ranged from disinterested to downright hated that he was a newcomer, I was flabbergasted.

mindsale

Also, if they keep unveiling a character every two weeks... If this game comes out in August, they'll have like 36 announced characters, probably another 14 unmentioned... That's crazy. It makes me resent Subspace all the more, that efforts could've been spent boosting the roster instead of diverting them to make that throwaway campaign.

Diddy was never going to be cut, so it was just a matter of seeing his appearance and he really doesn't look too different from Brawl.

You'll probably see a similar reaction to Yoshi. Characters nobody expects to be cut (except crazy people) with minor visual updates are not terribly interesting.

It was in Brawl, too. His hands/arms enlarged, not sure if they stretched but it's probably the same range.

It's his Forward Tilt.

They increased its range a bit
Sakurai said:
We've increased Diddy Kong's flexibility this time. This picture shows how far his punches stretch during his strong side attack.

emb

You'd be surprised, someone linked to the brawl dojo for several of the new characters back then so we could read reactions, I was completely shocked at the reactions to diddy, people ranged from disinterested to downright hated that he was a newcomer, I was flabbergasted.
Makes no sense to me. I can't believe he wasn't in Melee; seems like a cool character that was long overdue.

I think it was late the night of his update though, so maybe that made people disgruntled. *shrug*

MyBodyisReady

Neo Member
screen-5.jpg

I have one concern with this game. I realize its not finished and everyone keeps talking about how beautiful this game is. But I feel like images like this where you can see every polygon are worrisome. I don't typically care about graphics but I am curious why there are so many strange shapes that are visible at this stage in the game. Look at the blue pikmin for instance, it's body is a box, and it's eyes have edges all around it.

screen-2.jpg

Then in this image, Donkey Kong's fur has some strange polygonal textures that are visibly overlaid over others. Especially on his right forearm. Something funky is going on with the blurred fur on the right shoulder too. Can the Wii U not hide polygons during gameplay or is it just because these images are taken in motion and we're getting blips of strange angles?

Can the Wii U not hide polygons during gameplay or is it just because these images are taken in motion and we're getting blips of strange angles?

You do realize that these images are all very very zoomed in right? That you'll never see the models this close in actual play mode.

I have one concern with this game. I realize its not finished and everyone keeps talking about how beautiful this game is. But I feel like images like this where you can see every polygon are worrisome. I don't typically care about graphics but I am curious why there are so many strange shapes that are visible at this stage in the game. Look at the blue pikmin for instance, it's body is a box, and it's eyes have edges all around it.

I feel like I have to say this in every Smash Bros thread. The camera will be MUCH FURTHER away from the action than we see in the daily screen shots. You won't notice the polygons and jaggies from that far away.

Not to mention all the action, movement, particle effects, etc. that will be going on. The last thing you'll be noticing/concerned about is how the blue pikmin isn't perfectly shaped.

deleted

I was excited for a Diddy/Dixie team-up. Could have been very interesting in a SNES way, where one is active and the other one is slightly greyed out in the backround and becomes active when the player taps him in with down b or something like that.

Diddie looks good, but he was not among my favorites in Brawl.

LoveCake

My copy should be at home waiting for to get in from work.

Hope this has been worth the wait.

I did see a video review where the reviewer said that Dixie Kong was the best partner to use throughout the game.

Sorry i posted this in the wrong thread.

*embarrassed face*

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
My copy should be at home waiting for to get in from work.

Hope this has been worth the wait.

I did see a video review where the reviewer said that Dixie Kong was the best partner to use throughout the game.

Smash is already out? Omg guys, Nintendo did a secret launch!

Diddy was never going to be cut, so it was just a matter of seeing his appearance and he really doesn't look too different from Brawl.
It's more then people not being surprised that he's in the game. There are people in here saying they don't like the character in general.

I mean it's fine that they don't, but I always thought Diddy was a character almost everyone enjoyed, but the responses in here are far more mixed then that.

Sendou

screen-5.jpg

The Pikmin looks exactly the same as they look in Pikmin 3:

zlCfzRFHvqw57Dqcio

You know what's in common with both games? You play them with camera zoomed out a lot more than what it was in these screenshots.

a916

screen-5.jpg

screen-2.jpg

Then in this image, Donkey Kong's fur has some strange polygonal textures that are visibly overlaid over others. Especially on his right forearm. Something funky is going on with the blurred fur on the right shoulder too. Can the Wii U not hide polygons during gameplay or is it just because these images are taken in motion and we're getting blips of strange angles?

I not sure what you mean by this... or even what hiding polygons would do, but layered alphas is how almost all games do fur/hair.

SykoTech

Yet another "no shit they're in" pick.

I really hope they're saving all of the shocking choices for last, because right now the only character who is even remotely unexpected is the Wii Fit Trainer.

There goes my Brawl main! I can't wait to play as him in Smash 4.

Sort of glad those rumors about him pairing up with Dixie are false though; I guess I wouldn't have minded the loss of his banana throwing move but still.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Yet another "no shit they're in" pick.

I really hope they're saving all of the shocking choices for last, because right now the only character who is even remotely unexpected is the Wii Fit Trainer.

Dude, come off it with this attitude, they're just confirming characters for the game, as most fighters tend to do, you arent suppose to think that each thing is some revelation from god, just enjoy that a character is returning.

MYE

screen-5.jg

screen-2.jg

Are you serious? The fur could be sharper sure but the Pikmins?
The game will be zoomed out. You will be lucky if you even see any fine detail on those Pikmin in normal gameplay view so why push resources into a tiny moving object?

Jawmuncher

No game kills me with it's reveals more than Smash.
Just waiting for Snake to be confirmed or Deconfirmed is ruining my life.

My friend who plays Diddy should be glad about this news though.
He was thinking that diddy would be cut.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
No game kills me with it's reveals more than Smash.
Just waiting for Snake to be confirmed or Deconfirmed is ruining my life.

My friend who plays Diddy should be glad about this news though.
He was thinking that diddy would be cut.

Don't give up with Snake. NOT YET!

Top Bottom