• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Die Hard Trilogy EPIC Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gav

Thats weird. Im now watching Die Hard 2 (for the 14 millionth time) on TV, refresh GAF, and this thread is here :D
I hereby add my epic appreciation.

rewatching Die Hard for the millionth time and remembering this thread, I noticed a huge omission from the OP:

n3BkK.gif

Argyle is the man

tino

Banned
The title in Spain was translated "Crystal Jungle" (supposedly, because McClane had no shoes when terrorist shots the windows). The same title is used for the sequels (Although, the meaning have no relation in sequels).

The Hong Kong title for the movie was translated to "虎胆龙威", which was basically "Tiger's Gut, Dragon's Poise. Now keep in mind that most of the Hong Kong titles for Hollywood movies are non-descriptive nonsense like this, but for this one IMO it was really appropriated. Everyone recognized it right away this meant "epic action film" and it were correct. All subsequence HK and Chinese releases used the same name.

BTW there was a Hong Kong movie call "Mouse's Gut, Dragon's Poise", it was a funny send up of the original Die Hard. Jet Li was in it.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Started a rewatch myself of the trilogy. Finished Die Hard on Monday and Die Harder on Wednesday, up to DHWV now >_<

I watched the first Die Hard late last night/this morning. It was worth waiting the whole year for.

There was that shot of the elevator opening with the one terrorist looking and then gets wide-eyed with that "Holy shit" look when the camera cuts to Karl's dead brother. Of all things I thought, 'That needs to be a GIF.'

Lakitu

st5fu
Awesome trilogy, probably the best action focused trilogy ever.

Live Free or Die Hard is a travesty, and best off forgotten. Horrible film.

Linkzg said:
rewatching Die Hard for the millionth time and remembering this thread, I noticed a huge omission from the OP:

http://i.imgur.com/n3BkK.gif[IMG]

Argyle is the man[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I've never updated haha. Can't believe this thread is over 4 years old.

I haven't seen one of these movies on TV this month. WTF happened? It was always like a tradition for basic cable to air these movies during the holidays. :lol

I'm in the minority that considers three the best, by far.

Major love for the first two, though.

I even like the Fourth, not that it's anywhere near as good.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Foliorum Viridum said:

Wow, I totally agree! Glad I'm not alone. :D

Foliorum Viridum said:

I consider three to be the most fun and rewatchable, but the first to still be the best movie as a whole. The fourth one was fairly decent, but got a little too super heroish for Die Hard. And I dont quite get the hate for number two. Was it weaker than the first one? Yes. But it wasn't THAT bad.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The fourth movie skidded off the tracks when the semi/jet fighter scene came up. The fact that McClane won that fight by doing almost absolutely nothing is so, so absurd. :lol

chubigans said:
The fourth movie skidded off the tracks when the semi/jet fighter scene came up. The fact that McClane won that fight by doing almost absolutely nothing is so, so absurd. :lol
Exactly. Although it is funny how adding a lil bit of grit and language to the unrated version made it feel more like a Die Hard movie and not a summer action movie with Bruce Willis.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I should watch the unrated version, then. I hated how they didn't even say fuck in it.
You should. It is odd how just a few lil tweaks that you cant really point out make it feel more like a Die Hard movie. Granted, it is still the worst of them all by a large margin, but at least the grit makes it feel almost like part of the same universe.

quickwhips

Die hard movies are so awesome even the fourth one has some great moments. Bruce Willis is my favorite action hero of all time. Die hard is got to be what all action movies should try to be like.

8591-5004.gif

HEY! I'm talking to you! Now you have about five seconds before these guys see you and when they do, they will kill you, do you understand!? You are about to have a very bad day.

Such an awesome movie. :D

raphier said:
I love how this thread is as if Live Free or Die Hard never existed. I approve!

this thread is from a better time

also, CajoleJuice used "epic" in the title back in 2006. Remember when epic had an actual meaning?

raphier said:
I love how this thread is as if Live Free or Die Hard never existed. I approve!
Hey, the movie wasn't bad at all. The jet sequence was a bit much, but otherwise the unrated version should be included.

Seeing the screengrabs from 3 reminds me of how edge enhanced that transfer was. Just horrifying. I have yet to grab the blu rays of these, but will jump quickly if the transfer of 3 removes that horrifying edge halo.

Shick Brithouse said:
Die Hard is not an Xmas movie. Just because it happens to take place during Xmas does not make it such.

That is all.
BAH! Takes place at Christmas, it is a Christmas movie. Same with Gremlins, Lethal Weapon, and Batman Returns.

Are they "Christmas Spirit" movies? Nope. But they are still Christmas films.

First time I met Samuel Jackson was at the Tompkins Square Park shoot for the fountain scene in 3. Very nice guy. Didn't really care for the film, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom