• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Die Hard Trilogy EPIC Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Apple Sauce said:
I fucking love Die Hard. If I've made it this far without watching 4 then should I? Or is it worthless?

Ignore the haters. It's still a great movie.

Back when I made this thread, the OP qualified as insane. It now pales in comparison to the ridiculous Official Threads over in the gaming forum.

iNvid02

die hard 4 is pretty good overall, end gets a bit stupid with him
attacking a fucking fighter jet
but its decemt

LOL. Again, no. DH2 retains the atmosphere, the witty humor. It still felt like a DH movie, despite being inferior to DH1. DH4 on the otherhand doesn't feel like a DH movie. Not even a close.

DH1>DH3>DH2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>dog shit>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DH4

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Jason's Ultimatum said:
LOL. Again, no. DH2 retains the atmosphere, the witty humor. It still felt like a DH movie, despite being inferior to DH1. DH4 on the otherhand doesn't feel like a DH movie. Not even a close.

DH1>DH3>DH2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>dog shit>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DH4

You're being overly harsh. It might lack some of the warmth and charisma of earlier Die Hard movies (I'm a big fan) but it's a great summer popcorn action movie.

The Warlock: [to Matt] Why did you bring a cop to my command center?
John McClane: [laughs] Command center? It's a basement.
The Warlock: [angrily] Who is this man?

Matt Farrell: You just killed a helicopter with a car!
John McClane: I was out of bullets.

Still some classic DH lines.

GrayFoxPL

Forceatowulf said:
Re-watched DH2 the other day.

Fuck the haters. That movie was solid.

Yeah, I just finished re-watching 2 and I still like it.

"I have enough friends."

It tries to be realistic apart the ejection seat scene.

He gets his ass kicked most of the time but beaten and bruised he still wins. I like that.

3 is the last favorite for me. I don't know SLJ just fucking annoys me in this.

Even though Family Matters was a spin-off of Perfect Strangers, you probably could have had Al Powell transfer to Chicago and have the same TV show (until that fucker Urkel comes along, anyway).

With that in mind, Die Hard will always be my favorite Christmas Eve tradition. Die Hard 2 is super hilarious with today's airport security measures in mind. With a Vengeance is fun and has some fun characters, but it has terrible pacing.

I'm also going to call Die Hard my favorite Christmas film almost especially because it seems to annoy all the "Die Hard is NOT a Christmas movie" people...

cyberheater said:
You're being overly harsh. It might lack some of the warmth and charisma of earlier Die Hard movies (I'm a big fan) but it's a great summer popcorn action movie.

The Warlock: [to Matt] Why did you bring a cop to my command center?
John McClane: [laughs] Command center? It's a basement.
The Warlock: [angrily] Who is this man?

Matt Farrell: You just killed a helicopter with a car!
John McClane: I was out of bullets.

Still some classic DH lines.

You just demoed exactly what was wrong with DH4. He was no longer John McClane, but instead became some generic one-liner spewing invincible dude instead of the everyman. Compare that to the McClane whose most damning trials are walking over broken glass and trying not to get killed in Harlem.

In DH4, McClane was no longer relatable.

Scullibundo said:
You just demoed exactly what was wrong with DH4. He was no longer John McClane, but instead became some generic one-liner spewing invincible dude instead of the everyman. Compare that to the McClane whose most damning trials are walking over broken glass and trying not to get killed in Harlem.

In DH4, McClane was no longer relatable.
you can relate to fighting a building full of terrorists?

Christmas bump!

So how many on GAF watched this Christmas classic today? Such a fucking great movie. What makes this film so timeless is the characters. You care about the good guys and the relationships between them works so well. You believe the bonding between Powell and McLean. And the last twenty minutes is so fucking great. The editing and pacing as it cuts back and forth from Hans, the roof, McLean fighting Karl, and the gunships coming in is so badass. And the score during that section just makes it even more epic.

Merry McLean Christmas GAF.

Bumping to add that this topic needs more appreciation, as does Die Hard. Those movies are great. They'll never make action movies like this again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom