• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital downloads account for 92% of PC game sales

Asgaro

Digital downloads represent a whopping 92 per cent of all PC game sales across the world, PCR can reveal.

This means that physical copies make up less than ten per cent of PC game sales globally.

Analyst DFC Intelligence told PCR that digital games made up 92 per cent of all PC game sales in 2013, and the firm expects this number to increase in years to come.

This stat does not include sales of hardware or accessories - just the games themselves.

In the UK specifically in 2013, £1.18 billion was made from the sale of downloadable mobile, console, PC, and tablet games - an increase of 16.4 per cent over 2012 - while £1.015 billion was made from the sale of physical games.

This means that digital game sales overtook physical in 2013, according to Entertainment Retailer's Association, based on GfK Chart-Track and IHS data, as reported by MCV.

DFC said earlier this year that the PC games market has surpassed the console gaming sector in terms of revenues.

The news comes ahead of PCR's gaming special, due to arrive in the first week of September.

Check out our upcoming gaming issue for a more in-depth look at how the PC and console game market is changing, and how retailers can make money from both digital and physical goods.

http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/read/digital-sales-make-up-92-of-global-game-revenues/034551

gKjWLsq.gif

Celegus

I would be pretty shocked to even see a PC gaming shelf at a retail store, to be honest. Although they might be there to this day, I haven't been around one in ages. I still like my Blizzard games in a box, but that's about it and I just use Amazon.

Evrae

Banned
How the fuck do you measure this? Steam doesn't release their info, and I'm sure nobody else does either.

I haven't purchased a physical PC game in years, seems like such a waste of packaging. I ended up redeeming the CD Key in origin and downloading anyways, the discs never entered my PC.

jkanownik

I wonder if there is a little bit of mis-communication between DFC and that site or the wording is a little off. The 92% makes a lot more sense if it includes all forms of digital PC revenue (i.e. subs, MTX, DLC, etc).

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
globally? ok if it was really 92% of PC games globally, then why almost all big PC games releases in Europe and Asia still come in discs? if it was this huge worldwide all publishers drop discs in Europe/Asia ages ago. there is just no why most of big publishers still push PC discs and bother with it (like they do) if it was for only 10% or less.

Darklord

Banned
I only buy discs now when the download size is too big. 50gb for Wolfenstein? Screw that, I'll buy the disc. Everything else I buy digital.

On next gen consoles, it's around 10 percent, going by the financial reports of Ubisoft and co.

Last physical pc game I bought was Alien CM CE cuz it was cheap.

I would be pretty shocked to even see a PC gaming shelf at a retail store, to be honest. Although they might be there to this day, I haven't been around one in ages. I still like my Blizzard games in a box, but that's about it and I just use Amazon.

Up here in Canada they're still somehow going strong. Like there's usually nothing at all, or a significant amount of physical PC games. You mention Blizzard, and a few weeks ago I did some grocery shopping at Walmart and I found like 4-5 copies of the Heart of the Swarm LE boxes there. 1 was in shit condition the rest looked in good condition

The one thing I don't miss are the gigantic boxes taking up space (I'm looking at you Battlefield 2).

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
GameStop barely has a PC section. All they do is stock major releases, what they don't sell, and Steam cards. Everywhere else you go you'll find the same thing. Plus a lot of the PC games are still priced fairly high. Something I could get at say Walmart for example, is about 30% less online. Best Buy has a larger collection and they like to stock collector's edition as well, but it's still nothing huge. There's also a ton of indie games on Steam and everywhere else (especially MMOs) that you can't even buy a box for unless you backed their Kickstarter. Indie games do not count for physical sales because there's more than one way to make the game available.

I know this guy who thought all the indie games on Steam were all the hottest upcoming games. I knew this guy hadn't been inside a game store in a long time or had visited a gaming website. There's a huge difference IMO.

Malreyn

Aside from steam/gog sales making games dirt cheap, fixing compatibility issues for older games to be run on modern machines is a huge plus.

Opiate

I wonder how much energy we're using for all those data centers.

But yeah, I love digital downloads. Now 100% digital on both PC and consoles, and I love it.

DD is not prefect, of course, but it's much cleaner than retail. Electric cars also aren't pollution free (need to make the electricity in the first place, batteries are not clean either, etc.) but they are still notably better than traditional gasoline engines.

No_Style

Just for fun I want to meet the 8% of people who buy retail PC games. Ask them why. Lol.

I bought Diablo III & Max Payne 3 physical because I got $20 off each at retail.

$20 off new releases isn't something to scoff at. It's the sole reason why I continue to buy a lot of new releases via retail.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I bought Diablo III & Max Payne 3 physical because I got $20 off each at retail.

$20 off new releases isn't something to scoff at. It's the sole reason why I continue to buy a lot of new releases via retail.

I haven't bought a physical PC game since Rage came out. Everything after that has been digital. It beats driving somewhere, waiting for the package to show up, or waiting in line at midnight. I can preload days or hours before hand and I'll have it that night.

It sounds like I hate supporting my local gaming store or shopping center. I think it's more convenient. I do miss some things about going to the store, but I also like that I don't have to mess with all the employees.

Lucumo

Just for fun I want to meet the 8% of people who buy retail PC games. Ask them why. Lol.

I have a really crappy internet connection.
I like to actually own my games.
I hate to rely on internet/servers/whatever.
Physicals things are awesome to look at, you can also collect them.

When the internet explodes, we will talk again.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Probably physical Collector's Editions.

1st thing that came to my mind as well. I was like that percentage that buy things like all of Blizzard's collector editions.

I still wonder how they can actually know these numbers though when nobody fucking gives out real numbers. Seems like an educated guess at best.

Tratorn

globally? ok if it was really 92% of PC games globally, then why almost all big PC games releases in Europe and Asia still come in discs? if it was this huge worldwide all publishers drop discs in Europe/Asia ages ago. there is just no why most of big publishers still push PC discs and bother with it (like they do) if it was for only 10% or less.

Because the PC has a damn high percentage of digital only games. ;)
If you'd count only digital downloads from games that have a retail copy, it'd probably not look like this. But of course the PC is going to be much faster "digital only" than the consoles.

Blizzard

Banned
I have a really crappy internet connection.
I like to actually own my games.
I hate to rely on internet/servers/whatever.
Physicals things are awesome to look at, you can also collect them.

When the internet explodes, we will talk again.
Just as a note on point #2, some software (especially PC software), even if you have a physical CD, has an EULA that says your game is just licensed to you. So in theory you don't "own" that, though of course it could not be enforced without some sort of DRM as well. Some physical installs may also need activation servers.

Now of course one could argue that one is morally justified in pirating/cracking such a game after purchasing a copy and having it stop working, but pirate/crack stuff is going to be downloaded over the internet anyway so that's still a bit digital. :p

TSM

I got Diablo 3 for $10 at toys r us when they were clearing it out because 92% of people buy DD.

Running datacenters and all that jazz prob aint better then creating physical media.

Except that the way PC gaming works these days is that every physical copy produced is eventually headed to the landfill and you basically are just buying a code that you redeem through a DD service. Physical PC games are truly terrible for the environment at this point.

I buy them because it's usually cheaper. At least in Sweden it is. Retail PC games drops in price very fast here, and there's always sales and special offers pretty much everywhere.

Of course, I don't buy retail games exclusively. About 80% of all my purchases are digital.

Jhriad

Considering the extremely limited number of games that even have a physical release this is hardly surprising. Thanks to retailers for cutting back on PC sections for years during the years of PC being "dead" and in turn forcing consumers to go all in on digital.

TimmiT

How do they know this? IIRC Valve only gives numbers of how much a game sells to the developers, or am I wrong about that?

Prices for digital versions of new games still suck though.

For example:
Watch_Dogs steam price: 59.99€
Boxed copy from cheapest internet store here in Finland: 30€

I will continue to buy boxed games...

TSM

Considering the extremely limited number of games that even have a physical release this is hardly surprising. Thanks to retailers for cutting back on PC sections for years during the years of PC being "dead" and in turn forcing consumers to go all in on digital.

Except that physical copies of PC games these days should be simple, easy and take up very little room. Just set up one of those card kiosks with all the credit cards with game pictures on them.

Corine

Not surprised. I haven't bought a boxed copy of a game in probably 8 years. So much money saved buying digitally.

Lucumo

Just as a note on point #2, some software (especially PC software), even if you have a physical CD, has an EULA that says your game is just licensed to you. So in theory you don't "own" that, though of course it could not be enforced without some sort of DRM as well. Some physical installs may also need activation servers.

Now of course one could argue that one is morally justified in pirating/cracking such a game after purchasing a copy and having it stop working, but pirate/crack stuff is going to be downloaded over the internet anyway so that's still a bit digital. :p

Yep, I know that. But those publishers can't revoke my "license" since I have a physical version of the game. So in theory, you are right but it doesn't matter in this case. I never bought and never will buy games that need that.

You could easily store the crack or whatever on your HDD. Still, I wouldn't bother with that. There are so many old games that I still need to play. Those will probably last for the rest of my life.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Prices for digital versions of new games still suck though.

For example:
Watch_Dogs steam price: 59.99€
Boxed copy from cheapest internet store here in Finland: 30€

I will continue to buy boxed games...

I think worldwide it's very different. The merit of cd keys isn't brought up a lot. I know some outlets out there have titles much cheaper, but you don't have a clue rather or not they are legit Steam or Origin sellers. I had my CC stolen once and I knew it was from a lousy CD Key store I thought was legit. I even talked to ZeniMax about it. I told them where I bought the other game and what had happened. My CC was used to buy two full copies of The Elder Scrolls Online for $59.99. Someone took my number from somewhere and did it. I only trust Steam, Origin, and GMG for sales. I've trusted them for years. I don't trust the CD Key sites that don't necessarily say they are a legit key seller.

I buy physical EA games since I'm more concerned about Origin going down someday than I am about Steam.

Other than those, the only other physical PC game I've gotten in the last 5 years was KOTOR 2 since it hadn't been released on Steam at the time.

Phades

I'd be more shocked if the physical copy of the shelf wasn't just a thin client install linked to the main steam download, which effectively makes it a DD purchase anyhow...

Top Bottom