• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital downloads account for 92% of PC game sales

Meanwhile_aa8e75_1580744.jpg

The last retail game I bought was the Orange Box. So like, 2007 or so.

BeforeJam

Neo Member
I would be pretty shocked to even see a PC gaming shelf at a retail store, to be honest. Although they might be there to this day, I haven't been around one in ages. I still like my Blizzard games in a box, but that's about it and I just use Amazon.

Australia.

Our shelves are packed to the ceiling with PC games because we're the first world country with the worst internet.

While the figure certainly is spectacular, it doesn't really say a whole lot about profit, which in the end is the most important thing.

If I get 11 games for a dollar through Humble Bundle, and then buy one physical release for $40, 92% of sales go to digital. But profit not so much.

As the article says: digital overtook physical in the UK, but apparently it needed 92% of the sales to accomplish that...

While the figure certainly is spectacular, it doesn't really say a whole lot about profit, which in the end is the most important thing.

If I get 11 games for a dollar through Humble Bundle, and then buy one physical release for $40, 92% of sales go to digital. But profit not so much.

As the article says: digital overtook physical in the UK, but apparently it needed 92% of the sales to accomplish that...

That's because the situation is reversed on consoles and 90% or something buy physical.

wrowa

Sometimes I want to make photos of the endless shelves filled with PC games in German stores. I'm sure it would blow the minds of some GAFers - however, I'm just too lazy to do that. :p

I buy physical EA games since I'm more concerned about Origin going down someday than I am about Steam.

Other than those, the only other physical PC game I've gotten in the last 5 years was KOTOR 2 since it hadn't been released on Steam at the time.

Do those EA disc games still require you to put a code into Origin?

I'm honestly not sure, I just know that's how Steamworks retail disc games work.

Just for fun I want to meet the 8% of people who buy retail PC games. Ask them why. Lol.

Because in many countries physical copies are cheaper since they are adjusted to local currency than paying the full 50-60$ on steam.

Because some people are on limited bandwidths and cannot download 20-25 GB games on a regular basis.

Because some people like physical stuff.

I dunno, seem like good reasons to me.

Felspawn

Aside from a few MMO Collector's editions (SWTOR, Wow and all its expansions) the last PC that i bought a physical copy was Dragon Age Origins. Most everything for me now is Steam or GoG. Hell i've even rebought a few older games in electronic form just for the convenience factor. (Origin in a rare-EA good guy move gave me a free Origins copy of Dragon Age Origins when i proved i still had a physical copy)

I'm curious to see how they reached these conclusions. Getting any kind of sales data from Steam or publishers seems almost impossible. That said, the numbers do make sense with my own experience. I don't really know anyone that buys physical PC games outside of the odd Collector's Edition.

It's really weird that I'm buying a physical copy of Civ: Beyond Earth thanks to a killer pre-order price deal. It'll be the first physical PC game I buy in years (which I'll just redeem on Steam and throw away... what a waste).

SerTapTap

I got Dead Space 3 physical to avoid buying through Origin (you still have to activate it on Origin of course). I was a bit tempted to just get it on PS3 but I really didn't want to 720p 30FPS it up since I heard it was a much better port.

I got screwed in the end, though. I got Dead Space 3.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I got boxes of Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, and Tides of Numenera coming to me.

Last Physical PC game I bought was Skyrim. Before that... Ultima IX? *edit* Mass Effect 3!

The retail space will always exist for The Sims, WoW, Golf Games, Madden, Sim City, Deer Hunter, and Diablo 3.

It's funny how I'm also on the all digital train for PC games, yet when I pledge to a Kickstarter project that's a PC exclusive title, I will always go for the physical box tier when one is available. I guess it's nostalgia; they're like the old PC boxes that came with cool manuals and sometimes maps.

Not surprised. It's interesting to note the increase from 48% in 2010 though.

Almost all of my media is digital now and I thought about going digital on PS4, but I worry about those potential 50 GB Sony titles. They really like to use up that space.

Banned
Retail PC isn't cheaper here in Canada. Plus my backlog is so large that by the time I have time to play a game I want it's been slashed in price or gone on sale. I was just curious about the 8% lol.

Dizzy

Banned
No shit, the discs are practically worthless now, If modern PC games had no DRM/registration, they were just pop in, install and play like a console game then I'd be all over physical.

Castcoder

Banned
I have bought PC games at retail now that I have 20% off all games from Best Buy with the unlocked membership

Best Buy would be smart to put out game download codes on their site and let you apply that discount to it.

Edit: Maybe not because they probably want you in the store... ugh... retail is weird.

georly

How the fuck do you measure this? Steam doesn't release their info, and I'm sure nobody else does either.

I assume in the same way marketing research figures out how many people buy kellog's vs general mills cereal. You do a poll and then you use statistics to calculate.

If they polled the right people, they'll get an accurate representation.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I haven't had an optical drive in my PC for about 6-7 years.

I actually forgot I didn't have one after I bought SWAT 4 Gold from Amazon last year. I opened the box, took out the DVD, and just sat and stared at my PC for about 5 minutes.

On that note- we need SWAT 4 on Steam. Or ANYWHERE digitally.

Also, PC game sales for even console oriented games have drastically increased in the past 10 years.

Ubisoft mentioned that of all digital and physical (total) sales of Watch Dogs, 90% of which was on consoles. While 10% was on PC. While that may seem like a small number, it's a massive step up to how it was a mere 10 years ago, when only "PC-cenric" games like Sim City / WoW /Everquest /Counter Strik etc were the only kind of titles selling.

Sentenza

Also, PC game sales for even console oriented games have drastically increased in the past 10 years.

Ubisoft mentioned that of all digital and physical (total) sales of Watch Dogs, 90% of which was on consoles. While 10% was on PC. While that may seem like a small number, it's a massive step up to how it was a mere 10 years ago, when only "PC-cenric" games like Sim City / WoW /Everquest /Counter Strik etc were the only kind of titles selling.
Uh, considering there are a bunch of multiplatforms that sold roughly on par with the console versions, I don't think that's a particularly flattering case.

The last physical game I bought was Starcraft II: Liberty something 2-3 years ago cuz it was on sale in Future Shop (bout 20 bucks I think).

sueil

Downloading games from Steam for me is faster than going to a store to get a game. Gamestop is about 10 minutes one way and would take away longer. Having fast internet and no bandwidth cap is the best thing. Most games take 5-10 minutes really big ones (30-50gb) take about 20-30 minutes.

Source

I'm not entirely done with physical copies. I'll be buying the physical copy Warlords of Draenor Collector's edition when that is out. Also, I will someday buy the physical Half-Life 3 Collector's edition, Gaben willing.

inner-G

Banned
I prefer to buy physical copies but no where sells them.

I would buy substantially more PC games if I could get physical cases.

Top Bottom