• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Batman Arkham City PS4 Pro: What If Every Game Got A Pro Upgrade?

The boost the S gets it's like when you order a delicious meal at a restaurant, and the waitress brings over a couple of dessert shots for you and your date for free. <3

giphy.gif

tell me more about your valentines day dinner at TGI fridays tho.

TBF Scorpio has what a 2TF advantage over the the Pro and the Pro doesn't even render 1800p natively
Yet people think Scorpio is gonna do this all natively and we framerate over 30fps?
Is that correct?

Scorpio won't auto make all games run at 4k, it will run at xbone settings, in many cases they will keep the original resolution even if it's below 1080p, but unlike the pro which is crippled at a system level when running non patched games, xbone games on scorpio will have access to the extra hardware and will run better. If the game was designed in a way that takes advantage of the extra power (unlocked framerate or dynamic res) the game will benefit more, but in the very least I don't think we will see any slowdown, specially if they go with zen.

icespide

Banned
Scorpio won't auto make all games run at 4k, it will run at xbone settings, in many cases they will keep the original resolution even if it's below 1080p, but unlike the pro which is crippled at a system level when running non patched games, xbone games on scorpio will have access to the extra hardware and will run better. If the game was designed in a way that takes advantage of the extra power (unlocked framerate or dynamic res) the game will benefit more, but in the very least I don't think we will see any slowdown, specially if they go with zen.
I'll agree it's likely but we still don't actually know this for sure and it's foolish for people to discuss it like it's an absolute certainty

Jesus H Christ.

You're so wrong. So fucking wrong.

It's just a single GPU with double the cores. Jesus.

You're right that he was wrong, but only because marketing bullshit guys like Cerny make a career out of choosing their words to imply one thing (that sounds impressive) while being able to fall back on the truth (much less impressive) if they're called out on it.

People leave the article remembering the former, while fanboys can scream THAT'S NOT WHAT HE ACTUALLY SAID OMG SMH when reality hits and the Black Miracle Box that we were promised, isn't.

Yeah but read those last sentences a few times. Games might be able to go to 1080p since that's the full frame buffer. Devs will have to go back to the titles (patches) if they want to go higher. PS4 has been doing 1080p almost completely across the board since launch, so that boost wouldnt mean crap on the Pro.

From a purely resolution perspective yes, but I'm more interested in higher/locked framerates.

Many games have some nasty slowdowns even after a patch, some like Just Cause 3 was just left abandoned with crappy performance on both consoles, it's a game that probably won't be patched again, but there's a chance it will run better on newer xboxes.

Being able to revisit those games with a framerate boost is a huge advantage, one that we are already seeing when using BC on xbone for instance, even in games that used to run terribly on 360.

Izuna

Banned
giphy.gif

tell me more about your valentines day dinner at TGI fridays tho.

Nah, Mascalzone bruh.

And have you never had that happen? It's common if you order the specials at a restaurant.

TBH, I got the S mostly for the Dual Voltage. I've flown my UK Xbox One (which got stolen) to Tokyo like 3-4 times. I had to use a transformer which once got so hot it melted paint, another time I got a third party power supply which fucking DIED on me, and when I tried to buy an official one back then it was either unavailable or too expensive.

Nothing should ever not be dual voltage if it can be. FFS

You're right that he was wrong, but only because marketing bullshit guys like Cerny make a career out of choosing their words to imply one thing (that sounds impressive) while being able to fall back on the truth (much less impressive) if they're called out on it.

People leave the article remembering the former, while fanboys can scream THAT'S NOT WHAT HE ACTUALLY SAID OMG SMH when reality hits and the Black Miracle Box that we were promised, isn't.

So Cerny is a marketing bullshit guy now? Get wrecked dude.

icespide

Banned
I love how "scorpio will run old games with improvements without patches" gets thrown around like its a confirmed fact.

I agree this is more likely with Microsoft than with Sony but can we at least wait until we actually have more info about Scorpio before just running with it?

goonergaz

Interesting, so 30% CPU overclock produces ~30% better framerates...who'da thunk it.

Sony really should have had the option to let Pro run original games better.

return to arkham should not require the pro to run better, those games ran at 60 on my core2duo 2.8 and a gtx 260 768mb back in the day, the collection is just really shoddy port / remake work.

...but unlike the pro which is crippled at a system level when running non patched games, xbone games on scorpio will have access to the extra hardware and will run better.
You do not know this. Some games, even ones with variable framerate, do not play any better on One S. In addition, Scorpio seems set to be pretty different from the base hardware, which is exactly the sort of thing that usually requires a patch (and indeed, we've gotten a rumor implying patches will be necessary). Until we get explicit info, we don't know one way or the other.

Except here's the quote from Cerny:
Mark Cerny said:
We doubled the GPU size by essentially placing it next to a mirrored version of itself. That gives us an extremely clean way to support the existing 700 titles. We just turn off half the GPU and run it at something quite close to the original GPU.[emphasis mine]
He is very, very clearly talking about a single GPU there, using the definite article and phrases like "half [of]", not "one [of]". There's no implication of two GPUs at all. That you think it's console warring to correct someone's faulty memory says more about you than about Sony's publicity.

Being able to revisit those games with a framerate boost is a huge advantage, one that we are already seeing when using BC on xbone for instance, even in games that used to run terribly on 360.
Yes, but those are all patched. They don't get performance advantages for free, as shown by the BC games that still run just the same. (And don't a few have new problems as well?)

Arttemis

No, that is not true at all. By far the highest performance boost Xbox One S has shown is in Project Cars, where it gives at most a ~13% improvement. The usual improvement across all games tested by DF was ~3%. Many games are not improved at all.
I apologize if my numbers were incorrect; I was recalling figures from the top of my head. That said, I right there were 6 fps improvements in 30 fps targeted games? Either way, I believe there is more merit to the upclock than comparing variable frame rates.

In Rise of Tomb Raider, areas that cause momentary dips in framerate are completely smooth on the S. This may account for a microscopic increase in overall framerate, but the lack of stuttering can be blatantly noticeable.

Basically, quantitative differences aren't the only differences, and qualitative improvements shouldn't be left out of the conversation.

You do not know this. Some games, even ones with variable framerate, do not play any better on One S. In addition, Scorpio seems set to be pretty different from the base hardware, which is exactly the sort of thing that usually requires a patch (and indeed, we've gotten a rumor implying patches will be necessary). Until we get explicit info, we don't know one way or the other.
I know all games will see the extra hardware even without a patch. Of course, it doesn't mean every game will benefit, but given the possibility of the CPU being upgraded as well a locked framerate across the board is very likely.

Yes, but those are all patched. They don't get performance advantages for free, as shown by the BC games that still run just the same. (And don't a few have new problems as well?)
They are not, they are even published by Ms that doesn't even have access to the original source code. Yeah, the games are tested to hell and back but the principle is about the same, the games are running better simply because the more powerful hardware removed some of the bottlenecks from the old console.

BC on xbone, save for the few games that haven't been updated to the newer version are essentially locked framerate with vsync on at all times.

I love how "scorpio will run old games with improvements without patches" gets thrown around like its a confirmed fact.

I agree this is more likely with Microsoft than with Sony but can we at least wait until we actually have more info about Scorpio before just running with it?
Well, it's kinda confirmed when Phil himself said that, unlike on the pro, games won't have to be patched to have access to the extra resources.

His caveat was that just because games have access to the new hardware it doesn't mean they will all render at 4k natively, and to the extent they will be improved will also vary game from game. But with the gpu jump, and the likely CPU jump too, I think it's very reasonable to expect all games being locked framerate wise.

icespide

Banned
I know all games will see the extra hardware even without a patch. Of course, it doesn't mean every game will benefit, but given the possibility of the CPU being upgraded as well a locked framerate across the board is very likely.

They are not, they are even published by Ms that doesn't even have access to the original source code. Yeah, the games are tested to hell and back but the principle is about the same, the games are running better simply because the more powerful hardware removed some of the bottlenecks from the old console.

BC on xbone, save for the few games that haven't been updated to the newer version are essentially locked framerate with vsync on at all times.

Well, it's kinda confirmed when Phil himself said that, unlike on the pro, games won't have to be patched to have access to the extra resources.

His caveat was that just because games have access to the new hardware it doesn't mean they will all render at 4k natively, and to the extent they will be improved will also vary game from game. But with the gpu jump, and the likely CPU jump too, I think it's very reasonable to expect all games being locked framerate wise.

Source please?

I'm not understand what people are talking about. The game has pro support, albeit bare bones. This isn't a game that isn't unpatched that just works. It had to be supported.

horkrux

This isn't the sort of thing that could have been prevented by Sony. If you tell developers that the CPU runs a certain clock speed, you can't be surprised when they use that clock speed as an assumption in their code. Even code which has nothing to do with Sony's system APIs can and will be affected by this..

Yeah, if we were still in the 90s then I wouldn't be surprised.

Games run fine on XB1S, which is why I think you'd have to either try real hard to have your game broken by higher clockspeeds or that it's flatout impossible. If this was somehow different on Sony's console, because of a more low-level access, then I think that's a mistake on their part. Granted, they have only given the GPU a boost in the new Xbox, but another case for a seemingly unaffected library despite CPU overclocks is Sony's own PSP (or even the Vita), so I struggle to think why it would be any different for the PS4.

They would get performance advantages for free if the hardware they run on would be upgraded. Right now, since the games have to be converted for Xbone, performance improvements for these titles probably stem from improving that process or w/e and that is why they have to be patched.

Source please?

From a gameindustry.biz article.

GI.biz: Does Scorpio upscale those older games to 4K if you have a TV to play in 4K?

Spencer: There are games that were written on Xbox One, and we continue to evangelize this tech of dynamic scaling - Halo 5's a good example - when Halo 5 runs it wants to max out at 1080p/60 frames per second or highest resolution/60 frames per second. As scenes get more complex, the vertical resolution will shrink... to keep the 60 frames per second. When that same game's running on Scorpio, because of the compute capability, it's effectively is going to run at its max resolution the whole time. And so you will see advantages like that when your Xbox One games are running on Scorpio. So that's why we continue to talk to developers about dynamic scaling because I think as compute capability goes up on the hardware, they kind of get it for free. Now, it's not going to make Halo 5 run with 4K pixels. The frame buffer is not a 4K frame buffer for the game. But it will run more solidly. And certain developers might go back and decide if they've built a 4K version for PC already for some of their games, they might go back and decide to enable a 4K version for the Scorpio Xbox when it launches.

I apologize if my numbers were incorrect; I was recalling figures from the top of my head. That said, I right there were 6 fps improvements in 30 fps targeted games?
No, that's not right. The only improvement to hit that range was in the 60fps-targeted Project Cars. Cockpit mode saw 4fps improvement, and chase cam saw 6fps. The highest improvement for a 30fps-targeted game was 2fps, for Rise of the Tomb Raider.

If games have to be "updated to the newer version", then they're not getting benefits without a patch.

They would get performance advantages for free if the hardware they run on would be upgraded. Right now, since the games have to be converted for Xbone, performance improvements for these titles probably stem from improving that process or w/e and that is why they have to be patched.
Since they're getting tested and patched due to BC, how can you say what "would" happen if they weren't so patched?

Even in the non-BC world, improvements on S aren't guaranteed. Digital Foundry's test of Fallout 4 showed S with the same average framerate as on original Xbox One, but sometimes dropping in different places. That does not sound like performance improvements are entirely free. (Which may be why Phil Spencer has said on Scorpio that devs will "kind of get it for free".)

Arttemis

No, that's not right. The only improvement to hit that range was in the 60fps-targeted Project Cars. Cockpit mode saw 4fps improvement, and chase cam saw 6fps. The highest improvement for a 30fps-targeted game was 2fps, for Rise of the Tomb Raider.

If games have to be "updated to the newer version", then they're not getting benefits without a patch.

Since they're getting tested and patched due to BC, how can you say what "would" happen if they weren't so patched?

Even in the non-BC world, improvements on S aren't guaranteed. Digital Foundry's test of Fallout 4 showed S with the same average framerate as on original Xbox One, but sometimes dropping in different places. That does not sound like performance improvements are entirely free. (Which may be why Phil Spencer has said on Scorpio that devs will "kind of get it for free".)

But going back to the point of the article, there are a variety of games that benefit from a minor system-level upclock. Wouldn't it be nice if Sony allowed their improved system to optionally run at improved specs at its user's command?

onQ123

I still want to see the number of Xbox One games that got a noticeable boost when running on Xbox One S & how that number compare to the games that are getting PS4 Pro enhancements,

Izuna

Banned
I said noticeable

I mean, why do you have to bring in list wars for this? Xbox One S is mentioned because it shows precedent for what people were hoping with Pro. Not to say it's a better machine or anything.

If the Pro let you run all the base games with the improvements, you'd see the same amount of improvements, and some would be really lovely.

onQ123

I mean, why do you have to bring in list wars for this? Xbox One S is mentioned because it shows precedent for what people were hoping with Pro. Not to say it's a better machine or anything.

If the Pro let you run all the base games with the improvements, you'd see the same amount of improvements, and some would be really lovely.

Because I want to know the ratio of games that got a noticeable performance boost with the Xbox One S vs how many games are getting PS4 Pro enhancements.

If they are pushing for every PS4 game to get a boost on PS4 Pro like what is happening on Xbox One S we should at least know how much more games is actually getting a noticeable boost with Xbox One S vs the games getting PS4 Pro enhancements.

horkrux

Because it's unlikely for them to 'lock' resources for BC games when they don't for normal games. So the games would profit from additional horse power just like other titles.

Of course improvements are not guaranteed. It's just a slight bump to GPU clockspeed. If a game wasn't GPU bound to begin with, there might not be a difference in performance at all on the XB1S.

Wouldn't it be nice if Sony allowed their improved system to optionally run at improved specs at its user's command?
Of course! As an individual consumer I'd always like more choice. But for Sony, I can easily see it not making sense. One of the attractions of the console concept is that "it just works". Every time they throw in another user-controlled setting--especially one that might not work at all--they eliminate another segment of their potential user base.

You want a real answer?

All of them, including the BC games.
This is not true. Some games give no improvement, including BC games.

Of course improvements are not guaranteed. It's just a slight bump to GPU clockspeed. If a game wasn't GPU bound to begin with, there might not be a difference in performance at all on the XB1S.
But pretty much every game will be GPU bound in some scenarios. So if S always runs better in those situations, and never worse in the CPU bound ones, it should improve every game (though some by very little). But in fact it doesn't improve every game.

Drifters

Sony most likely has a year or so of this until they turn on the unlocked hardware after most developers are coding to the pro mode. I just don't get the hate right now as the console is only a few weeks old.

onQ123

This is not true. Some games give no improvement, including BC games.

Does anyone have a estimated number of games that show noticeable improvements on Xbox One S?

I keep seeing Project Cars being brought up for up to 6 or 7 fps boost but I'm sure if there was much more to talk about someone would have a list of the games that are showing big improvements.

Like if Project Cars was to receive a PS4 Pro patch in the next few months would there be anything left to talk about?

The newest version of the emulator. Because of how xbone games works every game is shipped with their own game os, which for Bc it also means the emulator. Some games weren't updated to the newest version, but pretty much everything now runs much better than on 360.

Does anyone have a estimated number of games that show noticeable improvements on Xbox One S?

I keep seeing Project Cars being brought up for up to 6 or 7 fps boost but I'm sure if there was much more to talk about someone would have a list of the games that are showing big improvements.

Like if Project Cars was to receive a PS4 Pro patch in the next few months would there be anything left to talk about?
It's not about how big the improvement is, it's about the fact every game sees the new hardware.

For the S which is a slight bump the performance is close, but for scorpio and the other Xboxes that will come later the harware gap will be bigger and so will the performance increase.

The newest version of the emulator. Because of how xbone games works every game is shipped with their own game os, which for Bc it also means the emulator. Some games weren't updated to the newest version, but pretty much everything now runs much better than on 360.

Really? That's great news.

What % of 360 games are supported now?

OT, how much does it cost to get a patch certified for Pro?

onQ123

I posted a few posts back. Phil Said the extra power of scorpio will be available to games without the need of a patch, which is the big reason why ps4 pro games don't run any better unless there's a pro patch.

He was talking about games with dynamic resolution staying 1080p more & games that are suppose to be 30 or 60 fps actually staying 30 or 60 fps more.

how many games are going to benefit from that is still a question.

Dynamic rendering is going to be a big thing going forward so that the games will be more scalable.

onQ123

It's not about how big the improvement is, it's about the fact every game sees the new hardware.

For the S which is a slight bump the performance is close, but for scorpio and the other Xboxes that will come later the harware gap will be bigger and so will the performance increase.

If the game isn't patched to go over 900P/1080P or 30fps/60fps it's not going to do much on Scorpio that it's not built to do on Xbox One & One S. did you ignore the part when Phil said that if the devs wanted the games to be 4K they could go back & patch it?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

Handful of games with adaptive resolutions benefit = All of them.

Izuna

Banned
If the game isn't patched to go over 900P/1080P or 30fps/60fps it's not going to do much on Scorpio that it's not built to do on Xbox One & One S. did you ignore the part when Phil said that if the devs wanted the games to be 4K they could go back & patch it?

Let's put it this way. If Bloodborne was a Xbone game, it's get an update without hoping the devs touch it. That's the context of the comparison, and this video itself.

Regardless of how many Pro games are getting patches, there are many games not reaching their targets on PS4 that might do if they were allowed to so what is happening with Arkham City here.

He was talking about games with dynamic resolution staying 1080p more & games that are suppose to be 30 or 60 fps actually staying 30 or 60 fps more.

how many games are going to benefit from that is still a question.

Dynamic rendering is going to be a big thing going forward so that the games will be more scalable.

Yes, dynamic resolution is good shit, but its not a requirement for games to benefit from Scorpio. If a game struggles to keep the target framerate, Scorpio will help with that. Automagickly. #justworks

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Let's put it this way. If Bloodborne was a Xbone game, it's get an update without hoping the devs touch it. That's the context of the comparison, and this video itself.

Regardless of how many Pro games are getting patches, there are many games not reaching their targets on PS4 that might do if they were allowed to so what is happening with Arkham City here.

Bloodborne is hitting 30fps, though.

onQ123

Bloodborne problem is that it's jumping from 30 to 28 to 32 fps Xbox One S method would probably make that even worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6jxhgMteB4

onQ123

Yes, dynamic resolution is good shit, but its not a requirement for games to benefit from Scorpio. If a game struggles to keep the target framerate, Scorpio will help with that. Automagickly. #justworks

I know that but he said that the performance difference would grow with Xbox Scorpio & I'm saying that if Xbox One S is already pushing the Xbox One games closer to the targets that they have then it's not going to change much with Scorpio unless it's patched to take advantage of a higher resolution or frame rate then it has already been set to.

Top Bottom