• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: CoD Black Ops3 Campaign Frame-Rate Test PS4 vs Xbox ONE

Jebron

Isn't that the very point of this thread?

Anyone with a sliver of common sense can figure it out by reading the article or watching the video. Instead of just saying "XBone sucks, PS4 is superior", it would be better if people actually read the article and contribute something meaningful to the discussion.

This is why I thought the Halo 5 analysis should be way more positive than instead of focusing on compromises.

343 really outdone everyone else trying to achieve 60fps on these consoles.

Not really. Cutting every corner is not very impressive to me. It just starts to look really bad. And Graphicly H5 is really disappointing.

Not really. Cutting every corner is not very impressive to me. It just starts to look really bad. And Graphicly H5 is really disappointing.

But it runs circles around most shooters on console in terms of performance.

Obviously there are two schools of thought here, framerate vs resolution/effects, and CoD can't keep its framerate stable even with dynamic resolution.

Risette

A Good Citizen
the performance in MP is really disappointing — the framerate drops are one thing but I can't believe they OK'd tearing in the MP. it can get pretty distracting when it's constant on some maps. the center of redwood when fighting gets chaotic is a mess.

AW was super stable so this is a bit of a letdown.

thelastword

Banned
TLDR on resolution;

So Xbox One is mostly 900pr but sometimes achieves full 900p, while PS4 spends majority of it's time at full 1080p but sometimes drops to 1080pr.

Bit disappointing for both consoles really.
Yeah, it is, but this is a huge divide, almost akin to 1080 vs 720p on PS4 vs XB1.

As Dark10 mentioned framerate so far is a lot better than it was during the 360/PS3 era. Therefore I wonder how those who find performance in various high profile titles unacceptable could have played console games years ago.
I don't know how anyone could say that with a straight face, this cod is constantly in the 30's in campaign and falls below 30 quite often too. Which COD from last gen did that and of course the tearing is horrendous.

I'm usually pretty sensitive to frame drops and I haven't noticed any. Not saying it isn't happening though
Are you saying that you have problems telling apart framerate issues in the worse performing COD game? I'm thinking you're not as framerate sensitive as you think.

It's kind of blowing my mind people are really making this about the limits of the consoles rather than Treyarch.

Advanced Warfare says hi.
Absolutely, AW does look better too with higher quality cutscenes at 60fps and it's gameplay looking much sharper and performing much better.

You ask people what looks better in BO3 and they can't say, what is better actually? Better effects? How are people claiming better effects when the image quality is severely compromised in this release, better effects at 1200*900? with framerates reaching sub 30fps. Which dev in their right mind would put better effects in that can't be resolved around a smudged image? Better A.i? this one is funny, what better A.i. It's clear that some persons would make any excuse when a game is performing badly on the consoles, it's really bad.

Yikes, from 60 fps down to 23 fps, that harsh!
Ohh, I'm sure this is what last gen CODS on 360/PS3 performed like, this performs even better????? SMH.....

VinFTW

"cutting every corner"

Except you're forgetting the most important thing of all: It runs a locked 60 FPS.

You see games like Fallout and BLOPS3, you seriously can't give 343 any credit? It's insanely impressive what 343 has done with that POS of a machine.

Give it a rest.

Pif

Banned
Is this the grand entry of 1080pr on ps4? Didn't hear from any other game using this resolution.

As usual, I'll get the game down the line for dirt cheap just to play the campaign.

Bolivar687

Banned
you have no idea what you are talking about

You may not like the way black ops 3 looks aesthetically, but every single rendering feature in BO 3 is pretty much better. Its performance, when contextualized by the engine advances and stuff happening on screen, makes a surprising amount of sense.

Then you just look at how the PC version scales on a variety of hardware... and it makes even more sense.

mhm!

2 games settings require a lot of horse power and vram: shadows on extra high, and textures on extra high.

Otherwise, its performance is quite reasonable IMO for midline hardware.

It's hard to take this post serious when you chastise us for an opinion and then fail to actually quantify anything yourself. Or extrapolate on exactly what this "stuff happening on screen" is, in a game where most of the gameplay, outside of on rails turret sequences, is one shootout after another in mostly static environments. Or why it "makes a surprising amount of sense" that the frame rate halves itself during non-playable sequences when sometimes there is literally nothing going on in the scene.

I'm not saying you're wrong but it'd be great to know exactly how you came to these conclusions, particularly when even Digital Foundry calls it disappointing and at times inexplicable.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't know how anyone could say that with a straight face, this cod is constantly in the 30's in campaign and falls below 30 quite often too. Which COD from last gen did that and of course the tearing is horrendous.
No no no NO, you are not reading that right (again).

I never said that.

What I *DID* say in the past is that, in general, multiplatform games this generation run *MUCH* better on PS4 and XO than they did on 360 and PS3. It's much more common to get at least a very stable 30fps without (or with minimal) tearing.

Even games that aren't running great this gen are still better than equivalents from last gen. Compare The Witcher 3 to, say, Oblivion or AC Unity and Syndicate to ANY Assassin's Creed game from last gen. Do you know how choppy those games were? What about Far Cry 3 vs this generation's Far Cry 4?

This particular situation is NOT representative of the generation as a whole. This is an outlier.

As *I* said in the video, this Call of Duty is the poorest performing game in series history OUTSIDE of the Wii U version of Black Ops 2.

nOoblet16

"cutting every corner"

Except you're forgetting the most important thing of all: It runs a locked 60 FPS.

lol, oh Jumper, keep the Halo hate train going!
Cutting every corner is still true when it is done to hold one oarameter i.e. 60fps.

It's subjective. Not talking 30 vs 60, in which case 60 is objectively better. But rather if it's the most important thing of all. You can make the argument that it's a game and 60fps affects gameplay the most and as such it's the most important thing etc etc...we've all seen how this discussion goes.

Point being it's still subjective because if it wasn't then we won't have developers targeting anything else than 60. The fact that there are developers who think otherwise means there are people who won't see 60fps as the most important thing ofnit all.

Black Ops 3 sustains 60FPS nicely in multiplayer and in SP the devs probably wanted to do something more like always. COD has historically always had an unstable framerate in campaign, with the last game being one of the noteable exceptions. The way some people are putting it is as if the game runs in 30s most of the time which is just not true.

Aceofspades

Banned
Is this the grand entry of 1080pr on ps4? Didn't hear from any other game using this resolution.

As usual, I'll get the game down the line for dirt cheap just to play the campaign.

PS4 is not 1080pr, its dynamic res that mostly stays 1080p

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
You ask people what looks better in BO3 and they can't say, what is better actually? Better effects? How are people claiming better effects when the image quality is severely compromised in this release, better effects at 1200*900? with framerates reaching sub 30fps. Which dev in their right mind would put better effects in that can't be resolved around a smudged image? Better A.i? this one is funny, what better A.i. It's clear that some persons would make any excuse when a game is performing badly on the consoles, it's really bad.
The game uses volumetric lighting all over the place. I assume that's what most people are talking about when they say better effects.

Bolivar687

Banned

Same. At this point, I'm starting to think a lot of them probably haven't even played the campaign.

Or why it "makes a surprising amount of sense" that the frame rate halves itself during non-playable sequences when sometimes there is literally nothing going on in the scene.

I am referring to the performance during gameplay, not a hard imposed 30 fps cap for scripted animation sequences. I agree that this is probably arbitrary in a number of scenes.

It's hard to take this post serious when you chastise us for an opinion and then fail to actually quantify anything yourself. Or extrapolate on exactly what this "stuff happening on screen" is, in a game where most of the gameplay, outside of on rails turret sequences, is one shootout after another in mostly static environments.
1. More shadow casting light sources (expensive)
2. higher environmental geometric detail (quite obvious if you look at walls, doors, and secondary environmental props): a very high poly coffee maker that made me laugh
3. volumetric lighting (expensive), global and for casters
4. new system for lighting and sorting transparencies (expensive)
5. anecdotal because I don't play COD games: according to people who have played the game, more physicalized objects in the environment and more enemies to shoot (aka, more animation and CPU strain)

1, 3 & 4 are all GPU expensive and "stuff happening on screen".
I can understand people saying xbone and ps4 are too weak and that is limiting what developers can do with their engines, but at the same time I feel like if you are developing a game primarily for consoles (correct me if I am wrong, but I have been led to believe that the PC audience for COD has waned over the past couple of years) and do not actually design the game around these limitations, then you are going at the whole process all wrong. It makes sense that this game runs so unevenly, but maybe they should have toned things down a bit in terms of effects and what not to actually achieve 60fps rather than heaping as much as they wanted to and hoping that it got close. People have said it plenty of times before, but good graphics are only impressive at the time of a game's launch, but consistent performance (and thus gameplay) last quite a bit longer.

Presuming the PS4 was their lead target, yeah, they definitely budgetted their scenes poorly if a hard 60 fps was the target.

VinFTW

Cutting every corner is still true when it is done to hold one oarameter i.e. 60fps.

It's subjective. Not talking 30 vs 60, in which case 60 is objectively better. But rather if it's the most important thing of all. You can make the argument that it's a game and 60fps affects gameplay the most and as such it's the most important thing etc etc...we've all seen how this discussion goes.

Point being it's still subjective because if it wasn't then we won't have developers targeting anything else than 60. The fact that there are developers who think otherwise means there are people who won't see 60fps as the most important thing ofnit all.

Black Ops 3 sustains 60FPS nicely in multiplayer and in SP the devs probably wanted to do something more like always. COD has historically always had an unstable framerate in campaign, with the last game being one of the noteable exceptions. The way some people are putting it is as if the game runs in 30s most of the time which is just not true.

So, because the framerate has always been inconsistent it makes it okay? Why don't dev's just make every game as pretty as possible and let the framerate suffer. That sounds fun!

When you say your game is 60fps, it should be a locked 60fps. The industrys standard for lying about that shit is making you believe it's okay that it's rarely ever fully 60fps.

Kudos to 343 for ACTUALLY making a 60fps game.

Walpurgis

Banned
This is terrible. This kind of performance with these graphics is unacceptable. It's time to leave that 30 year old engine behind. Activision has like 5 CoD studios. They should get cracking on a CoD using UE4.

nOoblet16

Sure they can, you just choose to ignore them.
The dynamic lighting and shadowing in Black Ops 3 is considerably more advanced than AW. The water rendering is also superior in that it can deform. Then there is volumetric lighting all over the place. The particle effects are also much improved and then we have bigger levels with more enemies and more varied enemies most importantly, which on itself might not mean much because it's a COD game but it all adds up. Even the physics is sort of a notch up. There is absolutely nothing that Advanced Warfare does better than Black Ops 3 in terms of tech. And it is capable of doing all that with 4 player coop (which can be CPU intensive), something which AW doesn't have.

The PBR implementation of Black Ops 3 is also superior. Keep in mind Treyarch were one of the first studios in the market that ever tried their hands at PBR and released the product. Black Ops 1 used an early form of PBR if you didn't know.

thelastword

Banned
No no no NO, you are not reading that right (again).

I never said that.

What I *DID* say in the past is that, in general, multiplatform games this generation run *MUCH* better on PS4 and XO than they did on 360 and PS3. It's much more common to get at least a very stable 30fps without (or with minimal) tearing.

Even games that aren't running great this gen are still better than equivalents from last gen. Compare The Witcher 3 to, say, Oblivion or AC Unity and Syndicate to ANY Assassin's Creed game from last gen. Do you know how choppy those games were? What about Far Cry 3 vs this generation's Far Cry 4?

This particular situation is NOT representative of the generation as a whole. This is an outlier.

As *I* said in the video, this Call of Duty is the poorest performing game in series history OUTSIDE of the Wii U version of Black Ops 2.
Did you read the post I quoted?

Are you really making a case for sub 30fps games last gen vs this gen as being far superior this gen, come on Dark. The way you're talking it's like all of a sudden AC games and multiplats last gen run at 15-20fps (which is not true) because clearly multiplats this gen are not running solid 30fps.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Graphically it's beautiful, with great art direction.

More importantly the game plays like a dream. I can't help but think your only experience with the game has been watching a few gifs and gameplay clips looking for problems. You've been negative on Halo 5 for as long as I can remember.

I'd say the campaign has been more pleasing visually then Blops 3, from what I've seen of both thus far.

virtualS

What do we estimate, two times the performance of X1 on PS4?

Shocking but not unexpected.

It's interesting how DF fail to berate Microsoft for their boneheaded decisions this generation. I remember them criticising the PS3s architecture last gen after miniscule (in comparison) disadvantages and a number of advantages that went completely unreported or glossed over (high quality audio, proper black levels, vsync, etc) even though the machine played host to the best looking games of the generation by far.

I'll buy an X1 someday. Probably when it's redesigned and bundled with 5 exclusives.

Anyone with a sliver of common sense can figure it out by reading the article or watching the video. Instead of just saying "XBone sucks, PS4 is superior", it would be better if people actually read the article and contribute something meaningful to the discussion.

Nonsense, there is nothing wrong mentioning the result of the performance test in the OP, especially when it keeps going on about the resolution differences.

omonimo

Banned
Doubtful. I don't think GPU is the primary bottleneck here, though I'm sure it could help a bit.
I don't know... I mean yeah dynamic res not help but most of the drops I seen happens when tons of transparencies are very close to the camera view. That's strange.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Are you really making a case for sub 30fps games last gen vs this gen as being far superior this gen, come on Dark. The way you're talking it's like all of a sudden AC games and multiplats last gen run at 15-20fps (which is not true) because clearly multiplats this gen are not running solid 30fps.
You're so damn focused on a select few games that you're not seeing the bigger picture. I actually picked up huge numbers of 360 and PS3 games last year after finding loads for 99 cents. Just to sample console ports. It's quite shocking how poor the average release really was. Things are much better now.

Looking at my shelf of Ps4 games right now I see that nearly every one of them either delivers a rock solid 30fps or very solid 60.

omonimo

Banned

:/ Most of the multiplat stay more close to 30 fps than on ps360, especially the free roaming, that's a good thing. Why you have this distorts impression? Even 60 fps are more solid of the traditional 60 fps seen on console in the past.

Bolivar687

Banned
I am referring to the performance during gameplay, not a hard imposed 30 fps cap for scripted animation sequences. I agree that this is probably arbitrary in a number of scenes.

1. More shadow casting light sources (expensive)
2. higher environmental geometric detail (quite obvious if you look at walls, doors, and secondary environmental props): a very high poly coffee maker that made me laugh
3. volumetric lighting (expensive), global and for casters
4. new system for lighting and sorting transparencies (expensive)
5. anecdotal because I don't play COD games: according to people who have played the game, more physicalized objects in the environment and more enemies to shoot (aka, more animation and CPU strain)

1, 3 & 4 are all GPU expensive and "stuff happening on screen".

Presuming the PS4 was their lead target, yeah, they definitely budgetted their scenes poorly if a hard 60 fps was the target.

OK cool thanks

AC III is pretty bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wTbxWxkThc

lows of 18, long periods sat 20-22 24fps

Lettuce

Jesus, these so called next gen consoles just dont appear to be able to hack it!!. Whats it going to be like in another years time.

COD: MW all the way up to probably Black Ops looked stunning on the 360/PS3 consoles and ran at a solid 60fps well into their life cycle, yet these current batch of console have had less than Stella performance since day one!

omonimo

Banned
Jesus, these so called next gen consoles just dont appear to be able to hack it!!. Whats it going to be like in another years time.

COD: MW all the way up to probably Black Ops looked stunning on the 360/PS3 consoles and ran at a solid 60fps well into their life cycle, yet these current batch of console have had less than Stella performance since day one!
Is it sarcasm?

Lettuce

Is it sarcasm?

Not at all!!

Do you remember when console graphics used to blow you away....do you remember the first time you saw Ridge Racer on the PSX, or Gran Turismo on the PS2, or Soul Calibur on the DreamCast, or Gears Of War on the 360, or heaven sword on the PS3!!??

Where are these moments this gen??....i tell ya nowhere

With the exception of DriveClub...but thats 30fps racing game so its a mute point.

thelastword

Banned

Traditionally COD games have run much better than what's on show here, 30fps cutscenes, 30fps push a button on an elevator type scenes, huge sacrifices in rez on XB1, still, worse framerate than any cod game......This release is not a staple of COD campaigns on consoles, that's why people are against it. What's next, a 30fps COD? Do you know that if they go for 30fps, that it would most likely drop to 15fps at this rate, at least they had a good thing going before this release.

Sure they can, you just choose to ignore them.
The dynamic lighting and shadowing in Black Ops 3 is considerably more advanced than AW. The water rendering is also superior in that it can deform. Then there is volumetric lighting all over the place. The particle effects are also much improved and then we have bigger levels with more enemies and more varied enemies most importantly, which on itself might not mean much because it's a COD game but it all adds up. Even the physics is sort of a notch up. There is absolutely nothing that Advanced Warfare does better than Black Ops 3 in terms of tech. And it is capable of doing all that with 4 player coop (which can be CPU intensive), something which AW doesn't have.

The PBR implementation of Black Ops 3 is also superior. Keep in mind Treyarch were one of the first studios in the market that ever tried their hands at PBR and released the product. Black Ops 1 used an early form of PBR if you didn't know.
I can note that the water looks nice. I disagree that particle effects are better. The PP effects, MB etc.. are much better in AW, and that includes cutscenes at 1080p resolution, 60fps which of course makes the game look much better overall too.

AW improved on everything from facial animation to audio, apart from the noticeable improvements to PP effects and better shadows, hence how superior their cutscenes are over BO3 with Kevin Spacey etc...., you could see the focus. There was massive improvements to physics, where particles and such was effected by physics. FYI, AW also used a PBS AND PBL system and had dynamic lighting too. So don't pretend that BO3 is doing something so special that rez+framerate had to tank so much with tearing coupled on account of "effects".

I will also say that persons who just spill out that the last gen consoles held back AW on next gen machines have no idea what they're talking about. The 360/PS3 versions of AW look like last gen versions of COD in comparison to the next gen versions. Sledgehammer concentrated on the PS4/XB1 whilst high moon took the last gen task, all the effort all the advancements are found in the next gen versions.

To get an appreciation of the work they did instead of just spouting some tech terms for a 23fps falling COD, read some of what Jorge Jimenez had to say on AW or you can download the Siggraph Briefing from here and here.

I notice that people like to list effects as if they're new or the reason why a game is performing badly. Volumetric lighting is not new, you don't know how expensive this implementation is, do you know how long the first game to debut VL was, it's been a long while. At the end of the day, each COD concentrates on specific graphical features, Ghosts had tessellation and some nifty effects and some nice foliage in parts, Advanced Warfare concentrated on PP effects, had tessellated char models and basically took every thing to a next level as I've explained above, yet all these games with the features they concentrated on "Ghosts and AW" had respectable framerates in lieu of the COD trend. Please read the slides.......

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Not at all!!

Do you remember when console graphics used to blow you away....do you remember the first time you saw Ridge Racer on the PSX, or Gran Turismo on the PS2, or Soul Calibur on the DreamCast, or Gears Of War on the 360, or heaven sword on the PS3!!??

Where are these moments this gen??....i tell ya nowhere

With the exception of DriveClub...but thats 30fps racing game so its a mute point.
The Order and Battlefront have done it for me

thelastword

Banned
You're so damn focused on a select few games that you're not seeing the bigger picture. I actually picked up huge numbers of 360 and PS3 games last year after finding loads for 99 cents. Just to sample console ports. It's quite shocking how poor the average release really was. Things are much better now.

Looking at my shelf of Ps4 games right now I see that nearly every one of them either delivers a rock solid 30fps or very solid 60.
I will exclude remasters. The only games that are a solid 30fps or 60fps are first party games and a few remasters.

Rock Solid to me is;
Driveclub
Horizon 2 (I have not played it myself and put it through it's paces, but I trust reports on it's solidity)
Forza (though it's 30fps in intros, though it does dip slighty)
Wolfenstein
Metro Redux
ISS Capped
Killzone Capped

There are some games that are close like Rivals and Black Flag, but I guess you can put them in Forza's category.

These are but a few games, I'm not sure that MKX runs better than SF4/UMVC3 last gen, they are about par, even that vita version of MVC3 is bonkers. I have not seen an arcade racer hit 60fps solid yet like burnout paradise or verging on San Francisco's performance, how about Wipeout HD+expansion. I do agree that we have some solid performers, but there are a lot of rough performers just like last gen. I can't for the life of me see how anyone can talk about an AC game this gen outside of Black Flag as a solid performer, even worse is Witcher 3, they fix things but break others or pare back some things, still the framerate is nothing near a solid 30fps.

Any game that should be running solid 60fps and is running 30fps with dips and terrible IQ this gen is terrible work. You may look at the likes of Payday, Saints Row, Sleeping Dogs, especially the former two, when they fall to the teens with no AA, no AF and say "Oh, they run better than last gen". It's up to you to believe that..... When these companies fail and are on the breadline, I hope nobody blames gamers for not supporting these devs, because that's exactly what happens in most cases. So if you keep saying that what they doing is acceptable, then it's you putting them out of business with a false sense of security.

Look at how good remasters are doing this gen, TLOU, UCC, GTA5 etc...these games deserves the sales they got. Why? because people respect quality efforts.

AC III is pretty bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wTbxWxkThc

lows of 18, long periods sat 20-22 24fps
You had to pick the worse AC game relative to performance, there were several AC games before this one that performed better, AC2 was a pretty solid performer overall, not a solid 30 but nothing as bad as AC3.

Genio88

Game is just poorly optimized, on i7 4770k and GTX 980 overclocked, everything maxed out at 1080p it sometime drops frames, iand in a few cases, especially when there are particolar light and smoke effects it drops to 30fps, it's just for a few times bit it's enough to loose a smooth experience

OK cool thanks

NP, you are right that I should have elaborated instead of being dismissive in teh first post though
Game is just poorly optimized, on i7 4770k and GTX 980 overclocked, everything maxed out at 1080p it sometime drops frames, iand in a few cases, especially when there are particolar light and smoke effects it drops to 30fps, it's just for a few times bit it's enough to loose a smooth experience

I cannot agree with your wording there. What do you mean by optimized? I mean, you are running the game at max.

WarpathDC

I've seen drops far lower than 45fps on my ps4 copy during the campaign. I think the
whole driving/mowing every robot in sight down
part early in the game was sub 30 most of the time.

Gold_Loot

I don't get it. AW looked and performed better last year, especially on Xbone. Wassup?
If I had to guess, I wouls say it's due to the larger areas, a higher enemy count , and heavier use of effects.

Also I noticed that this game uses full body awareness 100% of the time as well as casting player shadows.. Past CoDs cleverly hid these during controlled gameplay.

If I had to guess, I wouls say it's due to the larger areas, a higher enemy count , and heavier use of effects.

Also I noticed that this game uses full body awareness 100% of the time as well as casting player shadows.. Past CoDs cleverly hid these during controlled gameplay.

It also has first person player shadows form non-sunlight light sources. The only released FPS I know that does that.

Calabi

I dont think anyones mentioned that Blops 3 has a better anti aliasing solution than AW. AW had tons of pixel crawling and aliasing.

VGA222

Banned

I disagree. Ghosts on the PS4 still to this day retains its runt frame issue that causes the game to be perceived to run at 30fps. Perceptually it goes from running at 60 to 30 at the drop of a hat. What makes it worse than Blops 3 is that the issue is present in mp too while Blops 3 runs great during mp 99% of the time.

Also cod 2 on xbox 360 runs with double buffered vsync =p but that is really old.

Dynamic res, low FPS drops at times, and looks worse than AW...what happened here?

Looks worse than AW might give people the impression that AW is a bad looking game and boIII looks even more bad than AW. But actually AW on new gen systems looks stellar, plays stellar(strictly campaign performance). BOIII looks rough during the 30fps segments.

Top Bottom