• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: CoD Black Ops3 Campaign Frame-Rate Test PS4 vs Xbox ONE

Aceofspades

Banned
So PS4: Dynamic res that stick to 1080p most of the time with average fps of 51fps.

X1: Dynamic that hardly if ever achieve 900p with average fps of 49fps.

Difference is larger than I thought in PS4 favor tbh.

Kysen

AW had a better looking and playing campaign. God damn those giant shielded robots suck, as well as the glitched launcher pickups.

So PS4: Dynamic res that stick to 1080p most of the time with average fps of 51fps.

Xbone version is a performance disaster, approaching Cod: Ghosts level.

omonimo

Banned
Looking at the video you wonder if this game is capable of holding a 60fps at any res on console. The Xbox One is dropping to near 720p and still no where near a locked 60.
That's not what I mean. I just don't understand how a game which stays most of time on full 1080p, can't handle better fps with dynamic res. That's weird.

Aceofspades

Banned
Xbone version is a performance disaster, approaching Cod: Ghosts level.

Recent X1 games have suffered greatly performance wise.

Cod: low fps and res
Fallout 4 : 0fps freezes with unstable frames.
Halo: cut corners everywhere with worst LOD and pop ups I have ever seen.
RoTR: shimmering plus unstable framrates.

Kama_1082

Banned
You buy COD games for a 5 hour campaign?

absolutely. I've enjoyed every SP campaign of COD for years. I suck at the MP and it's good to play once in a while.

I have the Xbox One version and I think it looks pretty good but I can tell some framerate drops but it hasn't killed my enjoyment of the game.

The Xbox One is always going to be on the back foot performance wise this gen, we have Digital Foundry Battlefront 720p and Just Cause 900p articles still to come this year

Frame rate performance has been my biggest issue this gen so far. With the choice of 720p/900p on many Xbox One games, a good frame rate is not too much to hope for.

Campaign was awful upto the point i quite and i happily sold on Amazon barely an hour after playing it. Regardless of performance which as the article shows isn't the best i just found it ...not COD like at all.

Agreed. Awful CoD. They ruined zombies for me. Went back to Walmart and got fallout instead.

Yoday

I didn't think that resolution would go that low on Xbox One.
It gets pretty rough at times for sure. It wouldn't be so bad if the performance was solid to make up for it, but it definitely isn't. The game is a damn technical disaster. The astonishing thing is that it looks worse than AW, it runs at a lower resolution a good amount of the time, and it runs significantly worse.

Kezen

Banned
The Xbox One is always going to be on the back foot performance wise this gen, we have Digital Foundry Battlefront 720p and Just Cause 900p articles still to come this year

Frame rate performance has been my biggest issue this gen so far. With the choice of 720p/900p on many Xbox One games, a good frame rate is not too much to hope for.

As Dark10 mentioned framerate so far is a lot better than it was during the 360/PS3 era. Therefore I wonder how those who find performance in various high profile titles unacceptable could have played console games years ago.

I would not say the performance of Black Ops III is disastrous, there is a level with extended periods of 30fps (excluding cutscenes) but the majority of the time high framerate is sustained (50-60fps).

I'm looking forward to their PC findings. Game runs like butter on my system with very few drops below 60fps even in the most demanding areas of the game, max settings save for shadow map (2k and not 4k) and high textures instead of extra which ask for too much VRAM I think.
http://i.imgur.com/3YYRXNL.png

Really impressed with how smooth the SP runs on my specs (980, I7 4770K, 16gb of RAM).
Great visuals as well, although it's identical to consoles.

viHuGi

Banned
Black Ops 3 is more taxing (play the singapore or cairo levels) and AW was already very well optimized, so there must not be much headroom.

No idea about MP.

MP, Zombies, Dead Ops, Theater are buther smooth.

Campaign is kinda all over the place with those drops, i hope they can patch it.

c0de

Doesn't make it good in any way, though.

viHuGi

Banned

RoTR looks beautiful and amazing.

Kezen

Banned
MP, Zombies, Dead Ops, Theater are buther smooth.

Campaign is kinda all over the place with those drops, i hope they can patch it.

Maybe they can, but I would not be surprised if very little room is left considering how ambitious they are with the campaign.
I'm not expecting anything on PC either, unless they invest in a DX12 renderer.

leng jai

Hope they patch it but I'm not holding my breath. Gave up halfway with the campaign, so disappointing on all counts.

Yeah, I was on the fence about this but after pouring days of my time into Halo 5 I don't think ill bother picking it up anymore.

Either lock it at 30fps or cut back on the shiny bells and whistles.

Did this COD have a 3 year dev cycle?

Aceofspades

Banned
Doesn't make it good in any way, though.

That depends on player's sensitivity to variable frames. I'm not bothered by it myself unless it dips really low for me to notice controller latency (OoT and Shadow of the colossus). I find Fallout 4 to be really good on PS4 and its only 1080p/30. I haven't played BO3 since I hate CoD games but what I have seen in this analysis indicates that if I played it these issues won't bother me at all.

Discusguy

Give me the balance of Halo 5 and RoTR any day. I haven't bought Fallout 4 yet so I can't comment yet.

Docpan

Why would anyone buy this for the single player. ...?

MP never drops, best it's ever been, countless hours of gameplay. I consider the SP like the icing on top. ..

Gurish

That's why I don't understand the new Banderas gif that show XB1 blurry and PS4 running badly.

Since when XB1 games are running good if any better than PS4's games? there are very very few examples for that while we have countless others suggesting the other way around. (while mostly maintaining the visual advantage as well)

It's still pretty funny though, just not accurate.

Javin98

Banned
I don't get why some people are waiting for a patch to fix the frame rate. Without significant visual downgrades, it is highly unlikely that we will see a locked 60FPS on both consoles. The game runs at the high 30's to low 40's at times, there is simply no way to hit 60 without any visual downgrades. I can see the frame rate being improved from like low 40's to low 50's, at best, unless the visual fidelity is pared back.

P.S. This is coming from someone who genuinely believes patches can improve performance on consoles, but not to such a great degree.

c0de

That depends on player's sensitivity to variable frames. I'm not bothered by it myself unless it dips really low for me to notice controller latency (OoT and Shadow of the colossus). I find Fallout 4 to be really good on PS4 and its only 1080p/30. I haven't played BO3 since I hate CoD games but what I have seen in this analysis indicates that if I played it these issues won't bother me at all.

Selectively not bothering about issues is ok but don't have a place in technical discussions. Fallot 4 drops frames as does Xbone while there it is even worse due to streaming issues which hopefully can be fixed because it can't be expected that people buy external hdd's to work around the issue. COD is also not stable on both platforms and both drop a lot of frames so PS4 might be better but that's not a "victory" to be proud of given the performance. It's just bad on both consoles.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I think the last gen versions are multiplayer only, no campaign on those.
For Blops 3, yes, but Advanced Warfare was the full package on last gen and shared the same basic campaign. Visuals were downgraded but the levels had to be designed in such a way as to be possible on older machines. May have helped keep performance up on new gen.

Z3M0G

Is PS4 multiplayer really 60fps? I was playing the other night and it really really didn't feel like it... I swore it was 30...

I have both versions and indeed the XB1 version looks ugly. I noticed the difference right away. It's blurry in most spots compared to the PS4 version, especially in campaign. Multiplayer is less bad but still, the PS4 version takes the cake here, easy.

I would definitely recommend the PS4 version, as with most multiplatform games. It's looks better.

Curufinwe

The 30% power advantage strikes again. Somewhere, Albert Penello weeps.

Top Bottom