• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Could PlayStation 5 Pro Handle Path-Traced Games?

Deerock71

Did someone say BLAST PROCESSING?!
Shocked Oh No GIF by Yêu Lu

bitbydeath

Path tracing and ray tracing are great buzzwords but I’d rather devs just dropped them as a concept TBH.

They don’t add much to a game and are both extremely resource hungry.

DF is determined to try and get the PS5 Pro to fail, but it's going to succeed or fail on its own merits.

What's funny is they're going to dedicate significant resources to covering the PS5 Pro and they know it (they already are).

The problem is going to be when fewer Xbox fans tune in on a regular basis because comparison videos don't get as many views and after a while people won't care about Ps5 vs Ps5 pro comparison videos either.

What will determine the success of the PS5 is the developer support, the boosted specs, PSSR, and the price. No matter how many negative videos DF makes about PS5, it won't change anything.

Old Digital Foundry would of looked at the leak from Tom Henderson and break it down point by point to gauge performance.

Ptd1b2Z.jpg

kxoiHNy.jpg

Now Digital Foundry trying their best to downplay the PS5 Pro capabilities.

Ever since Alex came on board I've noticed a bias against console. I think its more that than anything Sony vs MS, though they have a dubious history with MS. They helped MS market both the One X and Series S/X with those "unveiling" videos after all.

I compare the PS5PRO to my current RTX4070. It can do CP2077 Path Tracing and everything set to Ultra but only if I set the game to 1080P 60 AND use DLSS.
Upping to 1440P I can't break 30FPS even with DLSS set to ugly mode. Something about 1440P Path Tracing is too hard on even the 4070, You can forget about 4k.

PSSR will be needed in everything the PS5Pro does.
And I hope PSSR wont need to be in UGLY mode to make it to 30FPS.

This is why I'm hoping devs focus on RTGI and shadows instead of PT. That would already be a big step up for Ps5 pro over what the reg ps5 has been capable of. Trying to do PT would come at too high a cost. Plus, the CPU in these consoles is weak compared to people's cpus when running PT on PC.

Why are we skipping a whole step when right now Cyberpunk 2077 can't even run ANY RT at 60 fps and Fidelity Mode doesn't even have RT reflections or GI??

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Turned on PT on Cyberpunk just now. 7600x/7900xt build. 4k output.

At a mix of high and ultra general settings, I get 20fps with FSR set to quality. Dumping it down to performance FSR gets me about 28fps. Ultra performance gets about 46fps.

PS5 Pro would need some serious RT improvements to get passed that.

The amount of..... You know what nevermind. I'll just let you dream.

Helldivers 2, for example, doesn't use either Ray Tracing or Path Tracing, and instead put the resources they saved into lighting up the screen in the best way possible.

How-to-get-Eagle-500kg-Bomb-in-Helldivers-2-1568x882.jpg

u5jkrcgdz4ic1.gif
A shitton of last-gen looking VFX doesn't look that impressive at all, hell, the game looks like a last-gen game with a few extra bells and whistles. Not shitting on the game, I have it and I love it, the visuals just don't do nothing for me personally. A lot of current-gen games still suffer from having VFX that doesn't live up to the rest of the fidelity of the game, SM2 is also another one that comes to mind.

Last edited:
So realistically can we expect PS6 and the Next Xbox to run path traced games or is this another few gens away?

This gen has been a bit disappointing in terms of visuals. I really expected a noticable leap in graphics.

kikkis

Path tracing works on not so great quality on geometry made for mid range hw from 2013 on 4090. I am not sure if its ever going to work on great quality on geometry loads of the future.

bitbydeath

A shitton of last-gen looking VFX doesn't sound that impressive, hell, the game looks like a a last-gen game with a few extra bells and whistles. Not shitting on the game, I have it and I love it, the visuals just don't do nothing for me personally. Current-gen games games still suffer from having VFX that doesn't live up to the rest of the fidelity of the game.
Ray-tracing and path tracing aren’t it either.
Point was the resources could be better spent elsewhere, such as the bells and whistles.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I’d argue 1440p is a much lower base resolution than 4K, yes.

Meh, it's the internal res for "quality mode" reconstruction but OK, as long as we establish parameters.

For one, DLSS almost never looks better than 4K. It can do some things better such as resolving fine details, but overall, 4K with halfway decent TAA is better.

OK, but there's a possibility. Far cry from the the idea being laughed out of the room as DF did.

For two, you’re assuming PSSR would be even better than DLSS out of the gate, which is incredibly unlikely. Furthermore, FSR with a custom resolution of say 1800p outputting at 4K would still be cheaper than native 4K and in all likelihood look better than PSSR at 1440p.

Now here is where I completely disagree with you. I think more than anything the closed platform optimization will allow for PSSR to achieve better results than DLSS. Bookmarked.

For three, the RT performance of a 4070 is assuming a 4x increase in RT performance which is very unlikely to happen very often. Realistically we’re looking at 2-3x most of the time.

We'll see.

At that point, you may as well argue the 4070 is a better card than the 7900 XTX but spoilers: no one will agree with that.

Well, let's put it this way: I wouldn’t be the type to praise the 7900XTX for having a 33% fps advantage over 4070 in a more compute centric benchmark (Avatar Pandora 1080p ultra) considering the fact that 7900XTX has 61% higher transistor count.

sgHFkbM.jpg

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Meh, it's the internal res for "quality mode" reconstruction but OK, as long as we establish parameters.

OK, but there's a possibility. Far cry from the the idea being laughed out of the room as DF did.

Now here is where I completely disagree with you. I think more than anything the closed platform optimization will allow for PSSR to achieve better results than DLSS. Bookmarked.

We'll see.

Well, let's put it this way: I wouldn’t be the type to praise the 7900XTX for having a 33% fps advantage over 4070 in a more compute centric benchmark (Avatar Pandora 1080p ultra) considering the fact that 7900XTX has 61% higher transistor count.

sgHFkbM.jpg
You expect Sony to do better than 6 years of work because closed platform? Good luck with that.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Path tracing and ray tracing are great buzzwords but I’d rather devs just dropped them as a concept TBH.

They don’t add much to a game and are both extremely resource hungry.
I understand what you are saying in that they are unreachable for most right now, but ray tracing is the future - it is the graphical leap people are wanting, raster is all diminishing returns at this point.

Sony has been working on image based reconstruction with gaming applications in mind. They aren't entirely new to this. Fair skepticism, albeit a bit overblown in this forum whenever PSSR is brought up.
Have we seen a high-quality example of PSSR in action (either high-quality stills or better yet, videos) to compare against incumbents? Until we can assess the IQ and performance metrics ourselves, any level of skepticism is absolutely warranted. Every tech company does continuous R&D relevant to their main products and services, thus Sony doing R&D in image reconstruction doesn't automatically mean their solution will match the best implementation in the market right out of the gate.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Have we seen a high-quality example of PSSR in action (either high-quality stills or better yet, videos) to compare against incumbents? Until we can assess the IQ and performance metrics ourselves, any level of skepticism is absolutely warranted.

Not "any". We know the immense performance advantagecof fixed function hardware. We can make educated guesses of how hw based PSSR will fare against software based FSR 2.

Every tech company does continuous R&D relevant to their main products and services, thus Sony doing R&D in image reconstruction doesn't automatically mean their solution will match the best implementation in the market right out of the gate.

Well sure but ultimately this thread will be speculative in nature for the time being.

Ashamam

ave we seen a high-quality example of PSSR in action (either high-quality stills or better yet, videos) to compare against incumbents?
Haven't seen any real examples that are usable. We have heard anecdotes that its impressing developers. Thats about all we have at the moment. But put that and Sony's pedigree together and I think its reasonable to expect it to be competitive in the ML upscaling space.

I compare the PS5PRO to my current RTX4070. It can do CP2077 Path Tracing and everything set to Ultra but only if I set the game to 1080P 60 AND use DLSS.
Upping to 1440P I can't break 30FPS even with DLSS set to ugly mode. Something about 1440P Path Tracing is too hard on even the 4070, You can forget about 4k.

PSSR will be needed in everything the PS5Pro does.
And I hope PSSR wont need to be in UGLY mode to make it to 30FPS.
Pro is not designed for path tracing. DF making biased videos as always.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Turned on PT on Cyberpunk just now. 7600x/7900xt build. 4k output.

At a mix of high and ultra general settings, I get 20fps with FSR set to quality. Dumping it down to performance FSR gets me about 28fps. Ultra performance gets about 46fps.

PS5 Pro would need some serious RT improvements to get passed that.
7900xt is 2.3x more powerful than the 10.7 tflops RDNA2 card. Sony is promising 2-4x.

If its 4x then they can easily do PT at 4k 30 dlss performance medium settings in cyberpunk. other games might be different. but they dont need to. they can also do 1440p dlss quality or dlss balanced. image quality should still be fine if their AI upscaling solution is fine.

DF shouldnt just be saying NO like that. It is possible. even at lower resolutions. We are already seeing several games drop to 1080p internal resolutions on the base PS5 in quality mode. who is to say they wont go down further now that they have a better upscaling solution?

If anything we should wait and see how RDNA4 cards perform. if AMD is finally getting to nvidia level then PT is definitely possible on a card thats equivalent to a 3070 or a 3080. You just need to reduce the internal resolution to 1080p or slightly lower.

Have we seen a high-quality example of PSSR in action (either high-quality stills or better yet, videos) to compare against incumbents? Until we can assess the IQ and performance metrics ourselves, any level of skepticism is absolutely warranted. Every tech company does continuous R&D relevant to their main products and services, thus Sony doing R&D in image reconstruction doesn't automatically mean their solution will match the best implementation in the market right out of the gate.

Obviously we haven't seen it, but what we can speculate is pretty key here.

We can assume that it is better than FSR or otherwise Sony likely would have relied on FSR.
We also know that it can apply to all games even those that aren't on an updated SDK unlike the rest of the PS5 Pro feature set.
We also know that it isn't doesn't require a per game data pool again meaning it can work with all games.

These are pretty good starting points for Sony. Even if PSSR isn't as good as DLSS, it being more widespread across games and therefore easier to support and implement is key.

Cyborg

For me;
- I will buy a PS5 Pro because it will play all the games better, it's a no-brainer for me.
- People expecting miracles for a 499/599 machine are just crazy, stop comparing it to a PC.

If you can afford a PS5-Pro why would you still be playing on a PS5? No matter what the Pro can do, it will run your games better and if you care about that then the choice is simple.

Bojji

Obviously we haven't seen it, but what we can speculate is pretty key here.

We can assume that it is better than FSR or otherwise Sony likely would have relied on FSR.
We also know that it can apply to all games even those that aren't on an updated SDK unlike the rest of the PS5 Pro feature set.
We also know that it isn't doesn't require a per game data pool again meaning it can work with all games.

These are pretty good starting points for Sony. Even if PSSR isn't as good as DLSS, it being more widespread across games and therefore easier to support and implement is key.

DLSS 2.0 has been trained and improved since 2019/20. Intel xess is not the same quality despite having ML just like DLSS.

So yeah, chance of PSSR being on the level of DLSS is not very high, over time it should get better.

mrMUR_96

The real question is, who cares about path tracing on consoles when it's almost guaranteed to reduce resolution and framerates? If you can't lock your game to 1440p, 60fps, I want nothing to do with unnecessary bells and whistles.
Me. Path tracing is a huge graphical step-up, and modern upscaling like dlss and hopefully pssr can make lower resolutions way less of an issue than it used to be.

Schmendrick

Could it? Yes.
Should it? Nope. Not enough performance reserves to do it well + good fps + good enough res/upscaling. Maybe for mini-scope projects, but anything larger will already strugle with decent RTGI (meaning good ray and bouncecount).

Helldivers 2, for example, doesn't use either Ray Tracing or Path Tracing, and instead put the resources they saved into lighting up the screen in the best way possible.
And you don´t think explosions/characters should throw shadows? Because the lighting issues in your examples are really .....really obvious. Nothing`s grounded, everything is floaty and glowy.
Helldivers 2 is very apparently last gen/AA looking the moment you stand still for a second and actually look at it.

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

Lol once again this forum putting sony at that massive high peak its never on. Ps5 was good for 4 months, now its almost obsolete. Ps5 pro can come all you qant, devs will still have to cater to the lower end machine....shit cant even run ff16 at 60fps.

Shits gonna ve overrated and underpowered again. No, it wont do full path tracing on cyberpunk a cross gen game.

bitbydeath

I understand what you are saying in that they are unreachable for most right now, but ray tracing is the future - it is the graphical leap people are wanting, raster is all diminishing returns at this point.
I don’t think the trade-off is worth it when they can achieve so much more without it.

bitbydeath

And you don´t think explosions/characters should throw shadows or what are your pictures supposed to express? Because the lighting issues in your examples are really .....really obvious.
Helldivers looks at best decent the moment you stand still for a moment and actually look at the picture. It`s very last gen visually.
There’s no other game that does explosions anywhere near as good as it.

Schmendrick

BS.
This is beautiful, the volumetric clouds, the winds, the explosion in the distance.

Show another game that comes anywhere close to this.

The only BS here is your eyesight if you don`t even see the smoke clipping through that canned animation...nothing about this is actually physics based, dynamic or even truly volumetric...it`s a canned animation with environmental triggers. .....

You are once again praising design, not tech.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

The only BS here is your eyesight if you don`t even see the smoke clipping through that canned animation...nothing about this is actually physics based or truly volumetric...it`s a canned animation with environmental triggers. .....

You are once again praising design, not tech.
Waiting for you to show one better…

bitbydeath

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
That 1 to 1 comparison nonsense always comes when there are no objective arguments left.....as if specific scenes in different games were comparable.

Take it seriously.
Just a - there is nothing better would be fine.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

Take it seriously.
Just a - there is nothing better would be fine.
That crysis mod from 15 years ago was already doing it better.
That 99.99999% of games simply don`t have nukes on their screens at any time is not a testament to Helldivers technical prowess.

Once again you are unable to understand the difference between design and tech....or you literally have magoo eyesight....

Last edited:

SHA

I think they'll rely on tricks that takes forever to make like in the last of us 2, the numbers sure do look from pc but it's still a console in the end, we're in the second half of 9th gen, the PC side will no longer mean anything moving forward.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

That crysis mod from 15 years ago was already doing it better.
That 99.99999% of games simply don`t have nukes on their screens at any time is not a testament to Helldivers technical prowess.

Once again you are unable to understand the difference between design and tech....or you literally have magoo eyesight....
Ok-then-look-away.gif

Top Bottom