• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Could PlayStation 5 Pro Handle Path-Traced Games?

bitbydeath

You can see it is using physics.

Nukes are nothing new in games.

KZ2 (terrible video quality)

MWR (looks amazing)

Invincible (spoilers)

I didn’t say it was new, Helldivers displays it best was the argument, and if that means removing uninteresting additions like ray tracing then we should have more of the former. The former being, as someone else put it, bells and whistles.

Last edited:

JimboJones

Lol once again this forum putting sony at that massive high peak its never on. Ps5 was good for 4 months, now its almost obsolete. Ps5 pro can come all you qant, devs will still have to cater to the lower end machine....shit cant even run ff16 at 60fps.

Shits gonna ve overrated and underpowered again. No, it wont do full path tracing on cyberpunk a cross gen game.
Yeah the copium getting passed around in this thread must be some strong shit.
Sad Mask GIF by Pudgy Penguins

bitbydeath

That is too stupid to even comment on.....
That’s total bullshit lmao.
Even back in the 90’s that was the case, google it.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

The links I provided go up til this year.
Yeah congrats on googling a few threads somewhere (and even in those the OP is being ridiculed) and claiming a few dozen posts are representative for all pc gamers. If you don't understand yourself just how stupid that is....

Now go in the graphics threads here and repeat your bullshit claims.... Not representative either, but maybe it gives you a bit of perspective.

I didn’t say it was new, Helldivers displays it best was the argument, and if that means removing uninteresting additions like ray tracing then we should have more of the former. The former being, as someone else put it, bells and whistles.
We went from "Helldivers tech is soooo impressive" to "Who needs bells and whistles".
Your goalpost moving and inability to differentiate between design and tech is dumbfounding....

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

And all of the responses in these threads shit on the OP for being incorrect. And one of these threads is from a freakin' decade ago.

Please, stop embarrassing yourself.

You typed a lot of stupid shit but AO and shadows being useless might just be at the top of the pile.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

You realize you are making the argument for ray tracing? Ambient occlusion is pretty much standard now but once came with a massive performance hit that people didn't think was worth it.
IugX91V.png

Anyone can see that AO is better here.
As for the nuke thing - there are no games with path tracing that have nukes so no-one can show how much better a nuke would look with pathtracing on but anyone can see that this
How-to-get-Eagle-500kg-Bomb-in-Helldivers-2-1568x882.jpg

while looking cool also looks kinda wrong with the 3 guys looking like stickers.
Did Helldivers make the right choice not to do path tracing - sure. But raster is reaching its limit - the crysis mod video shows how we have barely progressed if at all.

The fact that they are now pushing for Path Tracing on PS5 Pro is a way to make the console look weak...

RTX 5090 vs PS5 Pro comparisons are coming!

LOL

Last edited:

JimboJones

They are not pushing anything. They were asked a question on their podcast which they answered.
I think this is often the perception that some people take , like they are just appearing and handing down the 10 commandments of what the PS5pro can and won't be able to do 😅.

Often people clip or take a sound bite and run with it.

When it's literally just an educated guess with the available information at hand or similar hardware, often they say they don't know.

There could be some acceleration going on but we have to wait to see but going with what information we have it seems very unlikely that the vast majority of games will not be using path tracing.

Kenpachii

I compare the PS5PRO to my current RTX4070. It can do CP2077 Path Tracing and everything set to Ultra but only if I set the game to 1080P 60 AND use DLSS.
Upping to 1440P I can't break 30FPS even with DLSS set to ugly mode. Something about 1440P Path Tracing is too hard on even the 4070, You can forget about 4k.

PSSR will be needed in everything the PS5Pro does.
And I hope PSSR wont need to be in UGLY mode to make it to 30FPS.

I think u probably are v-ram limited then, cyberpunk eats v-ram at higher resolutions with pathtracing.

DrDamn

So back in 2020 DF went to MS and saw a demo of XSX hardware running a version of Minecraft which was path traced. Are they now suggesting PS5 Pro couldn't do this? Or maybe ...

The proof of the pudding is in the tasting, of course. During our time at the Redmond campus, Microsoft demonstrated how fully featured the console's RT features are by rolling out a very early Xbox Series X Minecraft DXR tech demo, which is based on the Minecraft RTX code we saw back at Gamescom last year and looks very similar, despite running on a very different GPU. This suggests an irony of sorts: base Nvidia code adapted and running on AMD-sourced ray tracing hardware within Series X. What's impressive about this is that it's fully path-traced. Aside from the skybox and the moon in the demo we saw, there are no rasterised elements whatsoever. The entire presentation is ray traced, demonstrating that despite the constraints of having to deliver RT in a console with a limited power and silicon budget, Xbox Series X is capable of delivering the most ambitious, most striking implementation of ray tracing - and it does so in real time.

PaintTinJr

Old Digital Foundry would of looked at the leak from Tom Henderson and break it down point by point to gauge performance.

Ptd1b2Z.jpg

kxoiHNy.jpg

Now Digital Foundry trying their best to downplay the PS5 Pro capabilities.
It is interesting that the 8bit Integer 300TOPS/s to 67 TFLOPS/s (FP16) when halved gets the derived theoretical 33.5TFLOPS/s number of the 30 WGPs as Dual issue at (FP32) at the GPU clock, showing that the AI acceleration is on the WGPs. with "Custom machine learning architecture" referring to modifying RDNA to be versatile to do accelerated AI with INT8 and FP, in addition to accelerating traditional raster and compute.

The "In addition: 30WGPs running specialized BVH8 traversal shaders ...", presumably meaning they run in parallel to the raster/compute/AI, as in "in addition", which supports an old argument for PS5 intersection engines being non-blocking unlike the Xbox series which blocks on texture samplers if using BVH, as this "in addition" comment supports Cerny's quote in the Road to PS5 about intersections running in parallel to shaders.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So back in 2020 DF went to MS and saw a demo of XSX hardware running a version of Minecraft which was path traced. Are they now suggesting PS5 Pro couldn't do this? Or maybe ...

My 6900xt can run path traced Quake 2 pretty decent. It is not gonna be running Cyberpunk path tracing or even ultra ray tracing.

MikeM

Turned on PT on Cyberpunk just now. 7600x/7900xt build. 4k output.

At a mix of high and ultra general settings, I get 20fps with FSR set to quality. Dumping it down to performance FSR gets me about 28fps. Ultra performance gets about 46fps.

PS5 Pro would need some serious RT improvements to get passed that.
To add to this, the 7700xt at 1440p gets 22.8 fps per techpowerup at 1440p with normal RT. 7900xt gets 33.5fps in the same test. A 6700xt gets 15.5fps.

Now, DF did a video which included a PS5 running in RT mode at 27fps in Cyberpunk versus a 6700 non-xt which was running console settings getting 18fps. Seems PS may have a better RT pipeline so if RT was actually improved, the reality of a 60fps RT mode or higher may be possible so long as the rest of the console doesn’t bottleneck and assuming the 2x-4x RT increase is true.

Video for reference is called “The PS5 in PC Form?” on YT- 8:32 mark.

Last edited:

DrDamn

My 6900xt can run path traced Quake 2 pretty decent. It is not gonna be running Cyberpunk path tracing or even ultra ray tracing.

Oh yeah there are definitely levels of complexity here, and even with a decent boost from PS5->PS5 Pro in RT I don't think it will be running Cyberpunk. My point was actually more about DF and their relationship with the platform holders. They lap up the demo MS show them with platitudes, but are dismissive of what a PS5 Pro with RT capabilities exceeding that could do. MS never released an RT update for Minecraft on XSX. Which does raise a couple of awkward questions, none of which DF will address obviously.

zeroluck

There's zero reason for a console equipped with hardware ML upscaling to run 1440p native when attempting path tracing. No need for ultra settings either.
Path tracing isn't worth it for anything below a 1440p internal rendering resolution, image quality compromise is too big. 4080 is the minimum baseline required for ~30 fps.

Anchovie123

I dont think Cyberpunk should be used as a bench as that game is weirdly NVIDIA slanted. Alan Wake 2 is probably more accurate.

A 1080p>4k(PSSR) 30fps PT mode would probably be possible on Pro

performance-pt-1920-1080.png

zeroluck

I dont think Cyberpunk should be used as a bench as that game is weirdly NVIDIA slanted. Alan Wake 2 is probably more accurate.

A 1080p>4k(PSSR) 30fps PT mode would probably be possible on Pro

performance-pt-1920-1080.png
Alan wake 2 path tracing is just PR, it is lite ray tracing.

Bojji

Alan wake 2 path tracing is just PR, it is lite ray tracing.

Yeah it's not comparable to CP. Entire lighting system is different in CP, here it's not that much difference, biggest differences are reflections but they could just offer that as RT reflections without PT (and why they don't?).

zeroluck

Yeah it's not comparable to CP. Entire lighting system is different in CP, here it's not that much difference, biggest differences are reflections but they could just offer that as RT reflections without PT (and why they don't?).
The game does offer options to toggle some RT off, when you can toggle each individual RT effects it is not path tracing.

Kenpachii

Well u guys are also linking benches of no dlss or framegen. While pathtracing with a 4070 u get 17 fps at 1440p. U get with dlss quality at 1080p with framegen 80-100 fps,

That's the thing with the PRO also, if they can get a stable solution with AI framegen going at a locked framerate + DLSS alternative then 720 render to 1440p at 30fps could be doable. There is a good chance path tracing is on the menu.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Man screw all the "ray tracing, path tracing" bullshit and give us a proper 4k resolution at 60fps as a *base* performance metric.

bitbydeath

Yeah congrats on googling a few threads somewhere (and even in those the OP is being ridiculed) and claiming a few dozen posts are representative for all pc gamers. If you don't understand yourself just how stupid that is....

Now go in the graphics threads here and repeat your bullshit claims.... Not representative either, but maybe it gives you a bit of perspective.
There’s also a lot of people agreeing with them and if you google it you will find there is 100’s if not 1000’s more.

We went from "Helldivers tech is soooo impressive" to "Who needs bells and whistles".
Your goalpost moving and inability to differentiate between design and tech is dumbfounding....
Bells and whistles is the Helldivers tech, which is much more impressive than putting all your resources into the likes of ray tracing.

bitbydeath

You realize you are making the argument for ray tracing? Ambient occlusion is pretty much standard now but once came with a massive performance hit that people didn't think was worth it.
IugX91V.png

Anyone can see that AO is better here.
As for the nuke thing - there are no games with path tracing that have nukes so no-one can show how much better a nuke would look with pathtracing on but anyone can see that this
How-to-get-Eagle-500kg-Bomb-in-Helldivers-2-1568x882.jpg

while looking cool also looks kinda wrong with the 3 guys looking like stickers.
Did Helldivers make the right choice not to do path tracing - sure. But raster is reaching its limit - the crysis mod video shows how we have barely progressed if at all.
Did you see the gif after as well?
That’s a still shot of an enormous explosion, watch the gif to see how it translates in real-time, and that Crysis video is horribly outdated on all fronts, there was nothing impressive about it at all.

bitbydeath

The one from this year is just people laughing at the OP for possibly being an AI and for making shitty nonsensical threads (is it highpoly, seems like a highpoly thread)
Yeah, I didn’t read them all but if you go into google you will see it is frequently complained about as one of the most useless features, and if you know other PC gamers you would have likely heard it from them too.

What feature do you typically turn off first on PC? What is worst for you?

Last edited:

Hrk69

For me;
- I will buy a PS5 Pro because it will play all the games better, it's a no-brainer for me.
Most developers still need to update their games.

Games aren't magically going to run/play better.

Last edited:
The "it won't double framerate to PS5 games" didn't work so they are trying another hit piece, this time "The PS5 Pro won't do what a 4090 barely does so it will be a failure".

On the other hand were they negative about the fact that their loved Hellblade 2 will only be 30fps on their monster? Did they remind their readers that all Sony exclusive games (and the best looking console games out there, open-world at that) are running at 60fps? Of course they didn't. They wrote one damage control sentence in their last propaganda piece about that game.

This is a 30fps game, with no high frame-rate options, which may irk some gamers but is reasonable for a game with this level of visual accomplishment.
While they already written novels about those "30fps games that won't run at 60fps on PS5 Pro".

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Yeah, I didn’t read them all but if you go into google you will see it is frequently complained about as one of the most useless features, and if you know other PC gamers you would have likely heard it from them too.

What feature do you typically turn off first on PC? What is worst for you?
You got a bunch of PC gamers here telling you the opposite.

Sethbacca

I mean, did literally anybody expect this to even be in the cards considering that you need like a $1500 gpu for it to even be an option on PC? I think only the wildest of fanboys would have even had the pipe dream.

Top Bottom