• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Could PlayStation 5 Pro Handle Path-Traced Games?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
And yet we also have 720p games, 36x difference in resolution...

And? Does it change the fact that PS5 is able to render a game at native 8k60fps? This should serve as a reminder that all of the talk around resolution and tflop numbers are useless without proper context.

I mean, did literally anybody expect this to even be in the cards considering that you need like a $1500 gpu for it to even be an option on PC? I think only the wildest of fanboys would have even had the pipe dream.

No you don't.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Fine, $1000-1100 for an 4080 minimum to get 30 fps PT in CP2077 at 1440p just using the benchmarks from the last page. Which is still retarded.

1080p internal resolution is a comfortable tradeoff for path tracing in 2024.

c2vdzPj.jpg

Schmendrick

There’s PC gamers, and then there’s those who keep on or close to the latest hardware that don’t need to turn things off.
claiming people nowadays need to turn AO and shadows off tells me that your hardware knowledge is stuck somewhere in the early 2000s....
There’s also a lot of people agreeing with them and if you google it you will find there is 100’s if not 1000’s more.
I can find 1000s of guys claiming vaccines give you cancer, too. Are you seriously trying to argue on that basis because it doesn`t get much more stupid than that.
There’s PC gamers, and then there’s those who keep on or close to the latest hardware that don’t need to turn things off.
And you are the overlord with the knowledge to categorize them all and know exactly what the majority doesor doesn`t do..... are you even listening to yourself?
Bells and whistles is the Helldivers tech, which is much more impressive than putting all your resources into the likes of ray tracing.
You sound like you don´t even know what you are actually debating. We went from completely missing shadows and very dated looking AO straight to RT.... you seriously don´t know what you are talking about do you?

Last edited:
I would be very impressed if the PS5 could handle path tracing. I find it unlikely unless their version of DLSS is basically an equivalent of DLSS3.0 frame generation. Looking forward to seeing what is cooking up with this hardware.

Also looking forward to hardcore Sony fans over exaggerating what it's capabilities are. Can see the videos now 'BETTER THAN A 4090!!'. 'PS5 PRO 8K+PATH TRACING'. Fucking idiots lol.

Zathalus

I think it can be done, 1080p/30 with maybe light bounce reduced to 1x. Really depends on how the RDNA4 RT improvements pan out. I don't think it will match or exceed the 7900XTX though, even with good RT improvements.

FunkMiller

Is path tracing going to be the new bullshit buzzword term that'll replace ray tracing, as something that everybody goes on about, but has very little actual impact on gameplay?

Just checking so I know how hard to roll my eyes in future.

Perrott

Gold Member
Is path tracing going to be the new bullshit buzzword term that'll replace ray tracing, as something that everybody goes on about, but has very little actual impact on gameplay?

What the fuck are you even doing in a graphics and hardware technology thread if you don't give a shit about those discussions because "they don't impact the gameplay"?

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

Why would graphics impact gameplay?

jumpship

Also looking forward to hardcore Sony fans over exaggerating what it's capabilities are. Can see the videos now 'BETTER THAN A 4090!!'. 'PS5 PRO 8K+PATH TRACING'. Fucking idiots lol.

Not saying it can but who knows, on a per-game basis maybe there is room for path tracing in limited form if (Big IF) the GPU overhead is there beyond the PS5 original. DF certainly wouldn't have a clue.

Honestly can't be any more idiotic than watching the "tech experts" get things so wrong with their preditions on real world PS5 performance (and still mystified to this very day) making bold predictions on the PRO version. In fact the whole comparing of fixed budget intergrated gaming consoles to high-end state of the art PC GPU's looking for a winner is beyond fucking idiotic really especially when cost is never factored in. It's forever a one-sided comparison. But thats DF for you.

Danknugz

just like the other thread where people were claiming ps5 pro is fully capable of machine learning and AI training. technically yes but not in any way that would make it a worthwhile endeavor. the next article will be about how it can simulate quantum computing using classical architecture and everyone will be all like 😮

skit_data

Also Digital Foundry....

GKliwr_aYAAqg8F
This is pretty damn embarassing in retrospect tbh.
What I've noticed in the last 4 years is that DF almost always gives Xbox/Phil Spencer the benefit of the doubt or interprets things in the most positive way possible whereas there's always an ounce of skepticism towards Playstation. Not an overly evident and outright bias but more of a slightly more open minded, positive interpretation of things Xbox and a more skeptical interpretation of things Playstation.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I’ll be buying 2 either way.

I don’t even use my PS5 often but when I do it’s for Sony exclusives that push the hardware, I’m not even that much of a graphics whore but you might as well enjoy those games for what they are and take advantage of Sony devs immense talent for graphics and animation.

onQ123

This is pretty damn embarassing in retrospect tbh.
What I've noticed in the last 4 years is that DF almost always gives Xbox/Phil Spencer the benefit of the doubt or interprets things in the most positive way possible whereas there's always an ounce of skepticism towards Playstation. Not an overly evident and outright bias but more of a slightly more open minded, positive interpretation of things Xbox and a more skeptical interpretation of things Playstation.
Look how fast they made the Xbox Series X vs PS5 120fps games comparison when they thought PS5 wasn't going to have many 120fps games .

FireFly

You think shadows and ambient inclusion, the two things most PC gamers turn off first due to their insignificance is important.
Helldivers 2 seems to make use of it:

"I think instead we're seeing the typical mix of screen-space ambient occlusion and shadowmaps to shade in some of those finer details, which works well for the big picture stuff but doesn't hold up quite as well on close examination. The same can be said for reflections, which exhibit typical screen-space reflection 'skirting'."

It's a common feature even in Sony titles and is basically the only way of grounding small objects without using ray traced shadows or VSM in UE5.

Mobilemofo

The real question is, who cares about path tracing on consoles when it's almost guaranteed to reduce resolution and framerates? If you can't lock your game to 1440p, 60fps, I want nothing to do with unnecessary bells and whistles.
Yeah. Why suffer for prettier, shinier bollocks that in the end, don't really add a whole lot. I'm with you..less bells n whistles.

sachos

fsr-pt-3840.png

Alan Wake 2 can do 4k FSR Balance at 30 FPS on an 7900 XTX. Also im pretty sure this is with the game running at Ultra Settings so if you make it a mix of High/Medium it should be fine assuming the PS5 Pro can really get to 7900 XTX levels, wich i really doubt.

min-fps-pt-1920-1080.png

It is with CP2077 that it gets really hard. If the rumour of 3080 level RT performance is true then maybe they can achieve 4k PSSR Performance with a mix of High/Medium graphics settings.

performance-rt-2560-1440.png

Even if you cant do PT with CP2077 they could at least make a really good 4K PSSR Quality mode with Ultra+Max RT, again, assuming the rumoured performance is true.

I think end performance will be around that 7700XT-4070 level for raster and hybrid RT (probably closer to 4070 for that one).

But PT is super hard for AMD hardware (and Alex explained why) so they are talking about 7900XTX in that video, they doubt Pro will be faster than BIG TOP 360W 2022 AMD GPU - and I doubt it as well.
Raster in real world should be more 7800xt unless it’s cpu bottlenecked

Their coverage of the Pro has been shockingly bad, like drawing teeth to get them to acknowledge it might actually be worthwhile. But their coverage on the RT side of things whilst maybe inheriting some of the flavor has imho been accurate. The 2x 4x comment need to be viewed through a developer lens, what exactly is it doing faster and what will that actually look like in a game. eg, ok you can double the performance, so maybe double the rays which means what? Higher resolution reflections for example? Or better defined shadows? Or added RT shadows. All alluded to in the documents. But what is not alluded to is Path Tracing and massive upgrades that presumably would also have a CPU impact. This being the exact opposite of what Sony is trying to achieve.
Yeah I can’t see pt not cause of the gpu which definitely could do it but cause of the leaked cpu and maybe the memory

Bojji

That’s in raster not rt

Yes, that's why I said "most calculations". So far vast majority of games are 100% raster.

Raster in real world should be more 7800xt unless it’s cpu bottlenecked

Why 33.5TF GPU should perform like 37.3TF GPU? "Console environment" isn't proven to boost frame rate.

It will obviously have better IQ with PSSR but I'm talking raw performance. Of course this is about raster, unless every new game suddenly have RT raster performance is still the most important metric.

Yes, that's why I said "most calculations". So far vast majority of games are 100% raster.

Why 33.5TF GPU should perform like 37.3TF GPU? "Console environment" isn't proven to boost frame rate.

It will obviously have better IQ with PSSR but I'm talking raw performance. Of course this is about raster, unless every new game suddenly have RT raster performance is still the most important metric.
Yes I’m talking raw performance some games the 7800xt will perform slightly better other the pro but I expect them to trade blows mostly (of course assuming we aren’t pairing the 7800xt with like a 15900k)

Mobilemofo

Honestly I'm all in favour of ray tracing IF THEY CAN GET IT TO WORK AT 60FPS.
Each to their own my friend.i just think if it serves no other purpose than looking a bit sharper and illuminated, I'd rather not have all that bollocks. Save it for the ps6 when the hardware will be much more capable.

Top Bottom