• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Face-Off: Dragon Age: Inquisition

I'm not but the way they presented this minor diff of XB1 advantage in some particular situations and recommending the XB1 for performance is like PS4 version performance is worst. They can mention the advantage of XB1 which i don't mind it, but overall PS4 version is best in this game considering the dips which happened rare and very stress situations only, but their recommendation of go for XB1 for performance and IQ for PS4 is the one i dislike and they nitpicked this FPS diff in bad way.

it is slightly worse though, still very good though.

Actually, if one is only in the market for consoles, or have both consoles, the PS4 version is the overall pick.

Then maybe next time you will add those qualifiers right from the start instead of making a blanket statement about the PS4 being the only version to get for consumers who want quality and framerate?

Factual, maybe, but it is dishonest to paint a narrative that PS4's persistent resolution advantage is equivalent to hand-picked instances of XB1's framerate advantage. If you are a consumer that wants both image quality and performance, there should be no question that PS4 is the overall pick.

I agree with this mainly for aforementioned reasons...reading the article alone made me feel initially that the performance difference must be significant. My initial thought was "Well I could hope they patch it to improve performance or just get the Xbone version." Watching the videos made it clear that the performance difference is actually almost nonexistent (at least to my eyes). So there does seem to be a bit of a disconnect in how the conclusion is worded vs. how it actually looks when in motion.

Elios83

I'm not but the way they presented this minor diff of XB1 advantage in some particular situations and recommending the XB1 for performance is like PS4 version performance is worst. They can mention the advantage of XB1 which i don't mind it, but overall PS4 version is best in this game considering the dips which happened rare and very stress situations only, but their recommendation of go for XB1 for performance and IQ for PS4 is the one i dislike and they nitpicked this FPS diff in bad way.

They are reporting what they're finding.
But I agree that for this game the PS4 version is the better overall console version and minor drops in frame rate can't be put on the same level of a permanent 30% higher resolution since the dips in the PS4 frame rate don't result in any conctete performance issue.

THRILLH0

Banned
Surprise surprise eagle-eyed PS4 owners who would rather stab their eyes out than play at a sub-native resolution claim ignorance when it comes to regular framedrops.

Side-by-side the PS4 stills do look better than the XB1 but framedrops suck no matter what. If that's a tradeoff you're willing to make then knock yourself out but don't claim that it's not there or that it's imperceptible.

Not sure why more developers don't provide the option of a dynamic framebuffer. My primary takeaway from the XB1 trial - before seeing the PS4 version - was just how smooth the game ran.

Factual, maybe, but it is dishonest to paint a narrative that PS4's persistent resolution advantage is equivalent to hand-picked instances of XB1's framerate advantage. If you are a consumer that wants both image quality and performance, there should be no question that PS4 is the overall pick.

I agree, Eurogamer did really hard on nitpicking this framerate advantage and they are doing so much recently in almost every game, some of their articles and game reviews of PS4 too. So i seriously doubt they will continue this and bias more towards XB1 by trying to provide XB1 advantage some spotlight more than providing faithful information in analysis. I think we might need a competitor for doing these kind of analysis, so we can get more accurate answers.

Autofokus

I'm 10h in (PS4) and didn't recognize any tearing or framedrops. The cut-scenes though are incredibly janky, unfortunately a real mess most of the time. :/

Surprise surprise eagle-eyed PS4 owners who would rather stab their eyes out than play at a sub-native resolution claim ignorance when it comes to regular framedrops.

Side-by-side the PS4 stills do look better than the XB1 but framedrops suck no matter what. If that's a tradeoff you're willing to make then knock yourself out but don't claim that it's not there or that it's imperceptible.

Not sure why more developers don't provide the option of a dynamic framebuffer. My primary takeaway from the XB1 trial - before seeing the PS4 version - was just how smooth the game ran.

Console warriors are funny. I own both systems and was going to buy the Xbone version after reading the article, but then saw the videos and realized the frame drops are almost indiscernible between the two versions.

They can be more clear in their writing. There is no reason why some of it is open to interpretation.
Make it short and clear. I remember a sentence in another faceoff that could have been interpreted the exact oposite as how it was intended. That's poor writng and poor info. And i can understand that people might think they do this on purpose.

In the end, if you really notice every framedrop and you can't live with that, you should go for the XboxOne version.
If you don't notice every single framedrop but you do enjoy the extra visual fidelity throughout the game, you should go for the PS4 version.
If you have a good pc, you get the best of all.

Boyzi

Banned
Then maybe next time you will add those qualifiers right from the start instead of making a blanket statement about the PS4 being the only version to get for consumers who want quality and framerate?

Ouch, even for you, that's a pretty condescending statement...

Oh, I am so sorry about that.

Don't worry about it, it's not a big deal. It's just a bit weird when people who nitpick each and every word in a DF article in order to claim bias end up making such glaring, let's call them omissions when they are rendering their own personal unbiased verdict.

angrygnat

It sounds to me more like they're just treating PS4 as an after thought while they focus more on the Xbox One to try to get it running well with weaker hardware and esram.
I tend to agree with you. They want both versions to sell well. It doesn't serve any developer to focus on one console and then release a busted port on the other. This was the case last gen. (Skyrim. Bayonetta) . Maybe they've learned their lesson.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

DF can't really prejudge a user's preferences, but I agree there's also something missing if one just simply equates the relative performance and resolution advantages in a case like this. They're of pretty different magnitudes and consistency. I'm not sure how DF should weigh them off against each other but as quantifiable things they're not equivalent, and I'm not sure if they should be presented as six-of-one, half-a-dozen-of-the-other.

Maybe the problematic thing here is making a judgment call at all about which would be better or the character of the tradeoff. Maybe they should just report findings and let the user come to their own conclusion.

Seanspeed

Banned
They never said it was 'equivalent'. That is your own insecurity speaking there.

Each person will have their own preferences and priorities. It is up to them to decide what is most important to them. I would agree with you that the combination of 1080p and fairly good performance would be the best overall balance. For me. For somebody who is a stickler about performance and demands the best there, the XB1 version would be the one to have.

And honestly, the amount of people who have both consoles probably isn't very big, either way. Its really not a big deal in the end. People who own a PS4 will get the PS4 version and people who own the XB1 will get the XB1 version. The main news, and what *I*, personally, got from the article, is that all versions seem to be very well done for the given hardware. So whatever version you get, you should be quite happy with a quality product on your hands. Its a shame that is getting completely overlooked by the constant console warring by so many here.

They can be more clear in their writing. There is no reason why some of it is open to interpretation.
Make it short and clear.

But it is quite short and quite clear:

1. Get the PC version.
2. Don't have a decent PC? Do you value quality over minor (it says minor right there in the article) framedrops? PS4 version is easy to recommend.
3. Don't have a decent PC? Do you value framerate consistency above all else? Get the Xbone version.

How much more clear can they get?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
It's kind of strange that you still can't change the internal rendering resolution in a console game. Some people would be willing to trade pixels for performance.

A lot of people care very, VERY deeply about small frame dips, based on previous df threads, so it's a valid comment Imo.

They also said frame dips are "noticeable" on ps4 when busy, so I'm not sure how minor that makes it.

I'll definitely take a clean IQ over rare 1-2 FPS drops.

Like I was saying before. A minor FPS drop that occurs in "extreme circumstances" over 1080p at all times is not exactly difficult to choose between.

This is coming from someone currently playing through the game on Xbone. If image quality is even remotely important to you then you should know which version to get. It was almost immediately noticeable to me when I was outdoors and looking at distant objects.

alterno69

Banned
I'll take the better looking game with minor framerate dips any day over a sub 1080p resolution. I might notice the framerate dips(which i haven't) ocasionally, i will always notice a not so sharp looking game.

After 12+ hours on the PS4 version i can say it looks and runs amazing, really love the visual style and how clean the IQ is.

Cyborg

The game looks better on PS4 and thats enough for me :) That 1-2 fps difference (in some section) is nothing. While the difference in visuals is 100% at the time!

THRILLH0

Banned
Actually, if one is only in the market for consoles, or have both consoles, the PS4 version is the overall pick.

Bullshit. Speak for yourself.

Unless i'm viewing 2 different resolutions side-by-side, i'm not going to really notice that i'm playing at 900p.

I will on the other hand notice every single time the framerate drops a few frames.

Don't presume that everyone wants "balance".

Holding off on buying this until I get myself a new gaming pc, personally... Just feels like the kind of game that should be played at a desk not a couch (anyone else know that feeling?)

But it is quite short and quite clear:

1. Get the PC version.
2. Don't have a decent PC? Do you value quality over minor (it says minor right there in the article) framedrops? PS4 version is easy to recommend.
3. Don't have a decent PC? Do you value framerate consistency above all else? Get the Xbone version.

How much more clear can they get?

Have you been following how many bugs the PC version has? I wouldn't jump on that bandwagon quite yet.

pixlexic

Banned
A lot of people care very, VERY deeply about small frame dips, based on previous df threads, so it's a valid comment Imo.

They also said frame dips are "noticeable" on ps4 when busy, so I'm not sure how minor that makes it.

I agree

Frame dips from 30 to below are a lot more noticeable than 60 to below.

Bullshit. Speak for yourself.

Unless i'm viewing 2 different resolutions side-by-side, i'm not going to really notice that i'm playing at 900p.

I will on the other hand notice every single time the framerate drops a few frames.

Don't presume that everyone wants "balance".

How about you speak for yourself. I noticed poor IQ fairly quickly.

Holding off on buying this until I get myself a new gaming pc, personally... Just feels like the kind of game that should be played at a desk not a couch (anyone else know that feeling?)

Since the game is optimised for controllers, no, not really. There were some complaints that the kb/m controls don't work very well.

This is different than DA:O

What bug's? I've been playing all week without seeing any bugs.

Thats good to know. I was reading up in the other DA:I thread 3-4 days ago and lots of people have been having all kinds of problems. If you don't have any then consider yourself lucky I suppose. Have they released a patch? If not you must have that perfect hardware combo that isn't causing issues.

Have you been following how many bugs the PC version has? I wouldn't jump on that bandwagon quite yet.

Eh, every version has bugs at first, it's to be expected in modern triple-A development. They will get fixed soon enough on all platforms.

Edit: And as you can see, there are different reports on the matter.

Fdkn

One thing that must be considered is that DF needs to point the differences as relevant to stay relevant themselves.

If the mayority of their articles ended with a Ps4 is better, people wouldn't bother at all with reading them.

Since the game is optimised for controllers, no, not really. There were some complaints that the kb/m controls don't work very well.

This is different than DA:O
I often use a controller on my pc... Guess I mean it feels like needing more concntration/focus as it's an rpg and has a good story, so better played in my study, vs on couch where wife want to watch tv, chat, cat jumps on lap and sticks its arse in my face, etc

Top Bottom