• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Gravity Rush 2 PS4 vs PS4 Pro

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The beautiful art style and absolute scale of this game is just insane, for someone to say its not visually impressive makes no sense IMO.

Tagyhag

Maybe the 1080p mode on the Pro is 60fps but at least it's pretty much locked 30fps.

The way that different effects are different resolutions is crazy, would love to see how they worked on that.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Maybe the 1080p mode on the Pro is 60fps but at least it's pretty much locked 30fps.

The way that different effects are different resolutions is crazy, would love to see how they worked on that.
You mean like variable frame rates the way GG did with Killzone Shadow Fall?
Also a no in that case. 30fps locked on all modes from info we are given.

NastyBook

Nice. A win for both versions of the PS4. Was probably gonna impulse buy this, but I had to get a new tire since my wife can't stop hitting fucking potholes. :\

BigEmil

The sheer density of this game for a open world in the cities compared to other games along with huge amounts of seperate interactable free objects everywhere all within close quaters and high numbers of npc's coupled with tons of physics in one place especially when there enemies in the area is awesome all this is way too taxing on the CPU even when optimising for GPU to do CPU tasks as much it can do it's still pushing it, it's impressive considering the hardware and what it achieved in this vast freely explorable open world game

TMC

Definitely happy about supersampling.

I'm new to owning a PS4 Pro. Do you have to do anything special with output resolution in order to achieve downsampling on a 1080p set?

IvorB

Yes? That's extremely close. No higher settings, no framerate improvements, no extra features, etc.

You just get a resolution bump. That's great, and how Pro patches should be. Whether you're a pro or PS4 owner you get a good looking and performing game.

Wait... why would this be a good thing? Surely as many bells and whistles as possible for the "Pro" version would best. Isn't that the point of it?

Shoeless

Definitely happy about supersampling.

I'm new to owning a PS4 Pro. Do you have to do anything special with output resolution in order to achieve downsampling on a 1080p set?

Nope. The Pro will automatically take care of this on its own. Just sit back and enjoy.

leng jai

Happy enough if the game is locked 30fps basically. The IQ and draw distance boost will be pretty significant by the sounds of it. Any word on if they adjusted the camera position from the demo?

It's really impressive how much Japan Studio managed to accomplish on both the PS4 and Pro with this game. I think the motion blur does the game justice because the demo ran rather smoothly even though this is a 30fps game.

-shadow-

I'll see when I get around to this game, will be buying a Switch first and hopefully a Pro by the end of the year. Absolutely loved the first game on VitaTV though I couldn't pull of all moves due to the lack of a touchscreen but man it was awesome!

Unknown?

It's really impressive how much Japan Studio managed to accomplish on both the PS4 and Pro with this game. I think the motion blur does the game justice because the demo ran rather smoothly even though this is a 30fps game.
I agree, native 4K is impressive with graphics like this. Just wait till other games that have more time to utilize it like Horizon and GTS. GTS in 1440p will look amazeballs.

Gravidee

The beautiful art style and absolute scale of this game is just insane, for someone to say its not visually impressive makes no sense IMO.

I still remember that comment someone made in a thread a while back that said that the game looked like it had low production values.

-___-

Hyped! this game is going to be sweet!!

I was kind of suprised by the Vita footage at the start of the video. The Vita game looked way worse than I remembered. And I have played through it twice on Vita. I guess the Vitas small screen helped.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Native 4K...DAMN.

Its not native 4K. Its native geometry scaling. The geometry is rendered at 4K, meaning the edges on geometry have the quality of 4K, but the actual framebuffer is still rendered at a lower resolution(maybe 1080p?)

I played the demo on Pro and sort of assumed it was Pro mode, I was already impressed with the visuals...

Now I'm really dying to play this game.

So great to see. Not only that it's a good performer, but also just the continuingly great tone used when the game is described. One of my true dream sequels is a critical hit...now let's hope it pulls off some commerical success, to reward the dev and encourage more of the same.

belvedere

Junior Butler
You do know that 4K Checkerboard rendering is better than this right?

But if you're just happy to see the words "Native 4K" go ahead & enjoy

You should flex your superior intellect muscles by insulting him instead of taking 15 seconds to clarify!

JP

I think it's worth remembering this and what geometry scaling actually means.

I'm going to butcher this now to keep it as simple as possible but the geometry is rendered at 2160p so it will look like it would if it was a full 4K image but everything else is rendered at a lower resolution, which I assume is going to be 1080p.

DF do make a point that it is softer than a full 4K image.

This is going to sound terrible but think of it as a combination of a native 1080p image and a native 2160p image, that's why geometry edges look like 4K but things like textures look like 1080p. It's more complicated than that but on the most basic level, that is what they appear to be doing here.

That's if DF are correct by stating that it is using geometry scaling.

It's essentially a cheaper way of outputting a 4K image, cheaper than a good implementation of checkerboard rendering but less effective because of the lower resolution of anything that isn't geometry....sort of.

At least that was my interpretation of the original (20th October 2016) DF article concerning the meeting with Mark Cerny when they first published it, anyway.

EDIT:
I've just noticed that this has been covered by somebody else. :)

ZoddGutts

This game being both open world and heavily reliant on interactively physics based objects made sure this wouldn't run at 60fps, even if it was uncapped fps it would be too inconsistent to be desireable. Might as well lock it down on rock solid 30fps.

Its not native 4K. Its native geometry scaling. The geometry is rendered at 4K, meaning the edges on geometry have the quality of 4K, but the actual framebuffer is still rendered at a lower resolution(maybe 1080p?)

Eh OK. I'll have to watch the video to see exactly what they did.

Eat me.

Jim said that? I cannot imagine what would lead him to label the visuals anything other than good. It's a beautiful game. Like a modern fantasy take on JSRF in some ways.

Maybe his tv isnt calibrated? Overly saturated factory default colors could ruin the look of the game. His tv is still probably overscanning too, thereby reducing image quality.

Shin-Ra

Here's a 3840x2160 gameplay capture from BOUND and a 600% zoomed crop from the sun in the bottom right.

32089421192_1c58c4e2c1_o.png

31427737213_dcce2d730f_o.png

With close examination, you can see the dark geometry edge works on a native 2160p pixel grid whereas the bloom from the sun, and subtle green texture detail is limited to a quarter-res, 1080p grid.

onQ123

Jim said that? I cannot imagine what would lead him to label the visuals anything other than good. It's a beautiful game. Like a modern fantasy take on JSRF in some ways.

Yeah, quote below.

Gravity Rush 2 is a bigger sequel, but not necessarily a better one. While it offers more to play with and in greater variety, the lack of improvements to core features – as well as graphics that are far from impressive – hold it back from being something truly great.

http://www.thejimquisition.com/gravity-rush-2-review/

Top Bottom