• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Gravity Rush 2 PS4 vs PS4 Pro

Humdinger

Beautiful. Glad they put in the extra effort to improve the Pro version. Nice to hear the game performs well overall, too.

BigEmil

I'm disappointed that the Pro version can't run at 30 fps without any drops.
It's a solid 30 throughout 30 hours of gameplay and suddenly 10 seconds of minor (reasonable) drops in the most stressing scenes then back to solid 30 throughout is enough to make you dissaapointed?

DirtyLarry

It's a solid 30 throughout 30 hours of gameplay and suddenly 10 seconds of minor (reasonable) drops in the most stressing scenes then back to solid 30 throughout is enough to make you dissaapointed?
Exactly what I was thinking after reading the OP and then reading that comment.
It's like having a perfect day and a half with beautiful, sunny skies, it drizzling for 10 seconds, and saying how awful the weather is.

It does have much better draw distance/LOD on Pro though.
Not really; the video doesn't mention anything about draw distance improvements. That said, the 2160geo method will let you see tiny geometrical details at distances they'd otherwise disappear.

Also, despite that DF didn't mention any draw distance improvements, watching the video I did spot an instance of less pop-in on Pro.

I agree, native 4K is impressive with graphics like this. Just wait till other games that have more time to utilize it like Horizon and GTS. GTS in 1440p will look amazeballs.
GT Sport is going to be 1800c, not 1440p. Horizon is going to be 2160c. You're right that both will look better than this game's 2160geo method, though.

Unknown?

Not really; the video doesn't mention anything about draw distance improvements. That said, the 2160geo method will let you see tiny geometrical details at distances they'd otherwise disappear.

Also, despite that DF didn't mention any draw distance improvements, watching the video I did spot an instance of less pop-in on Pro.

GT Sport is going to be 1800c, not 1440p. Horizon is going to be 2160c. You're right that both will look better than this game's 2160geo method, though.
I was under the impression that it was 1440 which is still noticeable to me compared to 1080p but 1800c is WAY better. If GTS is crisp like Ratchet or Uncharted it will be a looker indeed and pretty close to photorealistic. Horizon is also better than I expected, I figured it'd be 1800c. 2160c will be hard to tell from native 4K without a side by side comparison. Anyway the Pro goodness in this game will be eye candy, can't wait!

Looking great from a technical standing on both ps4 and ps4 pro. After the demo, I had a few concerns about frame rate dipping and was a bit skeptical they would be able to improve it a great deal. Glad they proved me wrong.

It's like having a perfect day and a half with beautiful, sunny skies, it drizzling for 10 seconds, and saying how awful the weather is.

I would bet money that such people are suddenly not that critical about such things if it happened with their PC setup.

zeelman

I think I'm more disappointed that some areas run better on the standard PS4 than the Pro.

JP

I think I'm more disappointed that some areas run better on the standard PS4 than the Pro.
That isn't what they said though.

Due to the type of game it is and the amount of physics in play it just isn't possible for them to set up identical situations on both consoles so there are times where there was simply more happening on one consoles than on the other.

On some occasions, the console with more going on could drop a couple of frames for a few moments. When the situation was reversed, the slight performance advantage would also switch. As they stated though, it could happen in an instant and only be a two or three frames that are lost.

It's not that the PS4 performed better in some areas, it's that there was occasions where the PS4 didn't have as much to cope with so the Pro simply dropped a couple of frames frames. It's not about the area, it's about the situation and it works both ways.

Wereroku

Did you watch the video? He said that the areas that the ps4 performs better could just be all up to the physics engine. There isn't any way for them to get perfect parity across that scene so different effects are occuring causing one to drop when the other doesn't. Most likely the performance is exactly the same on the ps4 and pro.

BigEmil

Like 1 or 2 fps better in that 10 whole seconds? Damn man dissaapointed preorder cancelled.
Seriously though that is really minor that it's a non-issue it was surprising to see you bring this up and to say it made you 'dissapointed' just over that. It using demanding 4k techniques can wield random results at times even when downsampling, also the test results aren't always 1:1 one version at the time of its tests might have more effects/stuff going on in the game than the other...but good on the devs for still remaining it's consistent performance in the game.

Sounds fantastic.

Glad both the regular and pro seem to have come out great and can't wait to see the Pro upgrades directly on my 4K TV.

The demo was already stunning.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

... and the tube trains and southern trains would be delayed for the whole day due to adverse weather conditions too. Oh, sorry I thought you were talking about living in London ;).

pottuvoi

Banned
Its not native 4K. Its native geometry scaling. The geometry is rendered at 4K, meaning the edges on geometry have the quality of 4K, but the actual framebuffer is still rendered at a lower resolution(maybe 1080p?)
Yes.

Pretty much ordered grid 4xMSAA where each subsample is positioned to it's own pixel.
Most likely they do filtering for colors within the surface to avoid square pixel look.

Should be close to this. (Although in this paper there is no filtering of a surface.)
http://www.pmavridis.com/research/coarse_shading/

If there is post AA pass on top it should look very good.
Downsampling woo woo.
Ordered grid MSAA, is better term in this case.

Would love to see good changing MSAA patterns (Per pixel if possible), instead of ordered grid and combine it with TAA, should resolve into a very good quality.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yes.

Pretty much ordered grid 4xMSAA where each subsample is positioned to it's own pixel.
Most likely they do filtering for colors within the surface to avoid square pixel look.

Should be close to this. (Although in this paper there is no filtering of a surface.)
http://www.pmavridis.com/research/coarse_shading/

If there is post AA pass on top it should look very good.

^ Yep, although i don't know how it compares to Infamous's implementation for their Pro mode, here it looks pretty good from what i can tell

Tapejara

Awesome results. I was worried about base PS4 performance after The Last Guardian, but a near-solid 30FPS is great news! Game looks stunning too.

pottuvoi

Banned
^ Yep, although i don't know how it compares to Infamous's implementation for their Pro mode, here it looks pretty good from what i can tell
Sadly it seems that Infamous released only the checkerboard for us, so we cannot really compare.

On Bound image you posted a while a go the headpiece is the bests place to look to see the shading resolution.
Looks like there is no additional filtering and 4x pixel quads are visible.

kyser73

First off, kudos to the OP for placing an insignificant FPS drop in context of how vanishingly rare it was, instead of going with 'Pro drops frames like OG'.

Second, despite my insane backlog, this is Day One for me. I really don't get where Jim Sterling is coming from. The game is like Ni No Kuni, it feels like playing a really high budge anime, and character & environmental design is just exceptional.

I'm disappointed that the Pro version can't run at 30 fps without any drops.

Surprisingly effective bait.

CrayToes

No HDR is disappointing. This game would've benefited greatly from the wider range of colours. Looks stellar nonetheless. Can't wait to pick it up.

John Wick

Wonder what Jim(quisition) was talking about when he mentioned the graphics were bad. Maybe he wasn't playing it on Pro?

Thats exactly the reason never to take the opinion of one reviewer as gospel. Read a variety of reviews. Jim should have went to Specsavers if he thinks GR2 visually isn't impressive.

Surprisingly effective bait.
How is that bait? OP straight up says both versions drop below 30 FPS occasionally but do a good job masking it. Doesn't sound like a problem at all since that rarely occurs but you can't ignore facts.

Will buy after I complete GRR

kyser73

How is that bait? OP straight up says both versions drop below 30 FPS occasionally but do a good job masking it. Doesn't sound like a problem at all since that rarely occurs but you can't ignore facts.

Will buy after I complete GRR

Two or three dropped frames out of 540000 (5 hours at 30fps) doesn't qualify as occasionally IMO.

Quoted poster is 'disappointed' by something that was only detectable using measuring equipment.

Clearly not bait.

Two or three dropped frames out of 540000 (5 hours at 30fps) doesn't qualify as occasionally IMO.

Quoted poster is 'disappointed' by something that was only detectable using measuring equipment.

Clearly not bait.
Seems like you're getting upset over nothing to me. OP says there are frame drops but they are rare, that is a fact. Poster you quoted said they were disappointed it dropped at all to which you responded with a "bait" accusation. Doesn't matter if there's one or two instances over 5 hours when things get hectic, it still drops. I don't care about that but the other person does; I don't think it's fair for you to claim they are trolling or whatever for barely criticising something you like. It's not like they said "Sub 30 FPS?? Pshh, no buy"

Seems like you're getting upset over nothing to me. OP says there are frame drops but they are rare, that is a fact. Poster you quoted said they were disappointed it dropped at all to which you responded with a "bait" accusation. Doesn't matter if there's one or two instances over 5 hours when things get hectic, it still drops. I don't care about that but the other person does; I don't think it's fair for you to claim they are trolling or whatever for barely criticising something you like. It's not like they said "Sub 30 FPS?? Pshh, no buy"

EVERY game has drops ..
every game. There are cases when an engine is stressed out and drop happens. It can be because of lightning , bottlenecks du to physics calculations during unexpected scenarios .
And it's impossible to prevent a drop because it's an open world game. So of course the unexpected can happen. You can't prepare your engine for everything.

Crying about it shows either a complete lack of knowledge on how things work or a troll bait . What do you prefer ?
I repeat there are no open world games that don't have frame drops.
The DF video states that the game was optimised compared to their previous build too . So again , being disapointed about it seems weird

LotusHD

Banned
nice job there! gonna reward them with a day 1 purchase instead of waiting for a sale.

Haha, I like that over the last few days, I've seen numerous things that finally convince people to get the game, or get it sooner than they were planning on.

thelastword

Banned
Perf is good, physics is ace and effects are balls to the wall impressive....but this game should have been 2160p checkerboarded for the PRO with some TAA mixed in. I can understand rushed pro patches or devs who don't have time or patching older games using geometry rendering, but a game in development? I'm sorry this is not flying....

Though perf is good and certainly not awful, I still believe some optimization can make the PRO version a locked 30fps with 2160p checkerboarding for even better IQ too. Yeah, the DF tech praises it because it has MB, but the rez and IQ should be much better still...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Checkerboarding has its own draw-backs, though.

I think the technique used here works well with the visual style as it has a very stylized look so the lower resolution in-surface detail doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Now, on a PC monitor viewed at close proximity, the limitations are evident but from a normal viewing distance (or even a close viewing distance) it looks extremely sharp.

I sit 5 to 8ft (depending on where I pull the chair) from a 55" OLED screen and it looks marvelous there.

Also, even though I tried to make it clear in the video, the frame-rate is 99% stable 30fps. I highlighted the worst case scenario that I found just to demonstrate what CAN happen but I had to play for hours before reaching any sort of noticeable slowdown. It's a very VERY stable game. A few drops here and there are no big deal.

w0s

Is down sampling and super sampling the same thing?

I see people using both in this thread for the pro version.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
geometry rendering has a much lower performance cost than checkerboard rendering, and according to cerny, only takes a few hours to a few days to implement in a game as opposed to a few weeks to a month for checkerboard rendering.

Your still getting much higher quality geometric rendering, which is worth it since asset geometry and character models are generally what stick out most in regards to bad IQ.

Is down sampling and super sampling the same thing?

I see people using both in this thread for the pro version.

for the purposes we're using it for, yes.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Checkerboarding has its own draw-backs, though.

I think the technique used here works well with the visual style as it has a very stylized look so the lower resolution in-surface detail doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Now, on a PC monitor viewed at close proximity, the limitations are evident but from a normal viewing distance (or even a close viewing distance) it looks extremely sharp.

I sit 5 to 8ft (depending on where I pull the chair) from a 55" OLED screen and it looks marvelous there.

Also, even though I tried to make it clear in the video, the frame-rate is 99% stable 30fps. I highlighted the worst case scenario that I found just to demonstrate what CAN happen but I had to play for hours before reaching any sort of noticeable slowdown. It's a very VERY stable game. A few drops here and there are no big deal.

So happy to read this!

Better shadows than on the PS4? Will this happen often in the future where some PS4 games have better details than on the PRO? What are the other games that did that so far?

Top Bottom