• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Hands-On with Project Cars

Kama_1082

Banned
Honestly, if that is the case, they deserve to be called out on it.

A day 1 patch is not a free pass, as far as I'm concerned. It only really flies for games that are entirely online. It's just bad practice for consumers.

I have a HUGE problem with it myself. It's not acceptable especially as a collector and someone that enjoys returning to games from years gone by. When those patch servers go offline what then? We'll be left with a broken game?

Edit: glad they fixed it.

chadskin

Oh bamco is at fault for giving an old version and telling DF they could analyse it. But DF should have double checked that the version was acceptable with the devs. It's clearly not as the dev posts showed.

Bamco is the publisher. Publishers handle PR, that's their job, that's why they get a nice cut from every copy they sell. It's very romantic what you say but it's not grounded in reality.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Wait wait wait, you're saying that developers should be excused for day 1 patches now?

I'm starting to get sick of this, to be honest.

As someone who prefers buying physical, I find this trend of broken games on launch to be unacceptable. It's happening far too often to the point.

I don't think anyone should ever defend that practice. I feel for the dev teams put in those situations, of course, but publishers (and anyone else responsible for this behavior) need to be called out.

When I covered The Evil Within last year that's why I went back and did a piece on the unpatched version to highlight just how broken the retail version was. The patched version is still awful but the original version they shipped? Basically unplayable - bad N64 game level of performance, really.

I don't mind. I have internet, most people who read DF have internet in some way.
I personally don't see the problem.
If someone who owns a PS4/XBO don't have internet I doubt they're worried more about performance than we are.

Kysen

Looks like those jumping to conclusions look silly now. Even more so that one dude jumping on the no AF observation.

Metfanant

Wait wait wait, you're saying that developers should be excused for day 1 patches now?

I'm starting to get sick of this, to be honest.

As someone who prefers buying physical, I find this trend of broken games on launch to be unacceptable. It's happening far too often to the point.

I don't think anyone should ever defend that practice. I feel for the dev teams put in those situations, of course, but publishers (and anyone else responsible for this behavior) need to be called out.

When I covered The Evil Within last year that's why I went back and did a piece on the unpatched version to highlight just how broken the retail version was. The patched version is still awful but the original version they shipped? Basically unplayable - bad N64 game level of performance, really.

im of mixed feelings with the Day 1 patch thing...

On one hand I very much appreciate, and like the fact that devs continue to work on, optimize and improve their product AFTER it has gone gold...and i think they should encouraged to do so...

On the other hand, i agree with you that the trend of broken or at least terribly performing games is appalling...I understand an issue like something with GTA5 where youve got some seemingly random performance issues, and letting that game "go gold" but too many times it seems like the devs just dont care how their product performs...and its sad

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Looks like those jumping to conclusions look silly now. Even more so that one dude jumping on the no AF observation.

No they don't. An article was published with clear measurements on performance. It also stated that the build was a submission build and therefore would reflect how the game performs.

People making comments based on that are not stupid - they were misinformed.

watership

Could a mod update the title please. People need to know that the original report was bullshit.

Bullshit is harsh, they had a miscommunication. I really hope the RTM build is a locked 60. Anything less is really going to be disappointing at this point.

Castef

Banned
Could a mod update the title please. People need to know that the original report was bullshit.

mmmmh... "bullshit".

Ok, it was an older build. Yet, if THAT NUMBERS are real I'm having a hard time believing that the final release will reach 60FPS with everything "on" (which is something I'd expect on console, settings-wise).

instead of "bullshit" I'd consider it an useful warning.

commedieu

Banned
They should've cut the grid size down and optimized the game to run at 60fps or near enough to it with all options on. If an option hurts the framerate too much, cut it. Turning options on/off should be a matter of personal preference, not performance compromise. Not in a racing sim.

And unlike on a PC, you will never be able to make this run better.

Not really sure this is the right way to handle the console side by the devs.

Should let you reduce grid.

too many times it seems like the devs just dont care how their product performs...and its sad

I honestly do not think that developers cannot be bothered about the (technical) performance of their games. I can just asume that certain deadlines set by publishers are far more responsible for that development.

Marlenus

By 'so slow' you mean updating within about 6 hours? That seems pretty good to me to be made aware of it, contact the publisher and developer, pull the videos and update the article.

This thread started at 08:12, the first mention that SMS were not happy came in at 10:41 yet it took them until 14:04 to update the article. How long does a phone call take, especially when the devs are already stating that the build is old. It should have been updated, even if only partially, before 12:00.

Wait, so it's actually more expensive but produces better results? Damn, bad choice if the XB1 version is still suffering from frame drops.

Hah yes. It being in use is a good thing, that means they are taking advantage of GCN, but its choice given the current level of performance is... yeah.. questionable.

Let alone any subsampling. I would imagine the PS4 is using some form of hardware aa as well. I hope it is at least.

stryke

I honestly do not think that developers cannot be bothered about the (technical) performance of their games. I can just asume that certain deadlines set by publishers are far more responsible for that development.

There is no traditional publisher here in that sense. Bandai just have the distribution rights. The game has already been funded.

jett

D-Member
People need to stop jumping on DF for offering analyses of pre-release builds. Nothing wrong with that. In fact it's fairly interesting to some of us to see how a game's technical qualities evolve.

watership

Actually, now that I think about it.. did Forza 5 have any framerate problems? I didn't notice any, but I don't think I dove into any DF articles at the time either.

Javin98

Banned
Hah yes. It being in use is a good thing, that means they are taking advantage of GCN, but its choice given the current level of performance is... yeah.. questionable.

Let alone any subsampling. I would imagine the PS4 is using some form of hardware aa as well. I hope it is at least.
Wouldn't it be better to just use SMAA and use the performance overhead to raise a few settings a level higher?

Wouldn't it be better to just use SMAA and use the performance overhead to raise a few settings a level higher?

Being a console game and racer, I think turning down anything IQ related (besides af) is a great idea to hit 60.

SMAA sounds like a great way to help that.

Not if the thing is CPU limited when that many cars are involved (physics simulation for every car can be costly)

That's what I was thinking. Racing phsyics-engines run on higher framerates (Forza 5's engine is 300+ fps if I remember right) and PCars has so many cars rendered... many devs have called the CPUs in this gens consoles a bottleneck, so I directly jumped to the same conclusion, that it's a CPU-limitation problem.

But thinking about it, if the framerate holds up in clear weather conditions, then it's probably not a CPU-limitation.

The best solution for me would be if the game would guess ahead if it will run into low-fps trouble in the race you selected and then give you options like...
"constant 30fps",
"less (weather) effects",
"lower internal resolution",
"go back to race options",
"run it anyway",
"Idk, let PCars decide for me".

But who knows, maybe it really was that this build wasn't ready for technical analysis and the final version will run at smooth 60fps without much of a downgrade.

Marlenus

People need to stop jumping on DF for offering analyses of pre-release builds. Nothing wrong with that. In fact it's fairly interesting to some of us to see how a game's technical qualities evolve.

As long as they clearly state how old the build is, and respond quickly to errors, then there is nothing wrong with it. Here though they were unclear on how old it is (even in Bamco did give them incorrect information it was still presented badly in the article) and it took them too long to update the article after the issue was highlighted.

In the future when doing pre-release performance and graphical analysis they should try and get the month of the build so they can be very clear in stating how old the build is so people are not mislead to believe it is a close to release or representative build when it may not be.

ElFly

Well, what is gonna DF do if the publisher tells them this is a "submission" build.

Good to see the clarification at the top of the article itself.

bj00rn_

Banned

Sony’s reprojection software takes data from the first and second frame, and creates an average of the two, putting it in between.

Unless Reprojection is not like Timewarp then this is somewhat incorrect. Reprojection is a 2D warp of the last frame from head tracking data before the last frame is rendered to help latency, hence why Oculus and Nvidia is warning against using Timewarp as an "interpolation-device" to up the framerate.

The main benefit of reprojection is that developers don’t have to scale down on image quality in order to hunt higher frame rates.

These words in this context is incorrect and borderline a lie.

The more correct way to say is that the benefit is that developers don't have to scale down scene details, but with the cost of lower image quality.

c0de

This thread started at 08:12, the first mention that SMS were not happy came in at 10:41 yet it took them until 14:04 to update the article. How long does a phone call take, especially when the devs are already stating that the build is old. It should have been updated, even if only partially, before 12:00.

Less than three and half an hour. People at eurogamer probably have more to do than just to wait for calls about updating articles. Not to mention to check where they were wrong with, contacting the author of the article (who perhaps isn't even working at an office at eurogamer) and then finally do the update to the article.
In my opinion the “response“ time is nothing we should make a big case of.

I've asked this question before for other games with day 1 patches: Are later prints of disc including the patches? Example: If I buy PCars in 2016... Will the disc version in retail include the patches?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I've asked this question before for other games with day 1 patches: Are later prints of disc including the patches? Example: If I buy PCars in 2016... Will the disc version in retail include the patches?
You know what? I'd love to know this as well.

I know instances where this has happened but I'm not sure it's the norm.

Would be interesting to know, though.

shandy706

Actually, now that I think about it.. did Forza 5 have any framerate problems? I didn't notice any, but I don't think I dove into any DF articles at the time either.

Rock Solid basically. Turn 10 go for that true lock every time.

Despite the build differences, I don't see the X1 or PS4 holding 60 at all with the final game here.

It's a possibility of course...we'll see.

ShamePain

Banned
Well Forza's goal is always 60. All sims should be 60 imho. Arcade racers, I'm alright with them being 30.

Edit: I do love weather effects and number of cars thought. Forza 6 has a lot to prove.

Pcars runs at 60 fps in sunny conditions with moderate amount of cars on track. Forza 5 is always sunny and has a third of cars on track with noAA and noAF, and the lighting is completely pre-baked, which basically means the game doesn't calculate lighting at all.

herod

Hardly ever. They don't even bother patching the online copies, they just download the v1.0 and then all the patches afterwards.

stryke

Dark10x, do you or any of the other writers at DF often ask the developer for some input before publishing a face off article?

Things like per object motion blur and the AA technique used was quite off the mark.

danowat

Banned
Pcars runs at 60 fps in sunny conditions with moderate amount of cars on track. Forza 5 is always sunny and has a third of cars on track with noAA and noAF, and the lighting is completely pre-baked, which basically means the game doesn't calculate lighting at all.

Which are the sacrifices they had to make to stay true to their vision of solid 60 fps.

I guess we'll see what FM6 brings to the table, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is no weather..........

Putty

I dont think SMS are getting the credit i think they deserve here.

ShamePain

Banned
Hardly ever. They don't even bother patching the online copies, they just download the v1.0 and then all the patches afterwards.

On Xbone if you download an online copy, all the patches are already included. Basically before it was Game + Patches, but now devs update the Game and the one in the store is the latest build. Don't know how ps4 handles this.

ShamePain

Banned
I dont think SMS are getting the credit i think they deserve here.

Yeah, I agree. Forza 5 is marginally better than Forza 4 on 360 in terms of tech, the models/textures have obviously improved, but the lighting has remained practically the same since Forza 1, and there are a lot of cut corners like mirrors running at 30 fps, cars not having any reflections with the full grid, and so on. It will be interesting to see what changes they make in Forza 6, but I wouldn't bet on realtime lighting and weather.

bombshell

Gran Turismo 5: Academy Edition included all patches up until 2.07 on the disc.

Although that game's patch system is a joke, so that was the least you could expect from a re-print.

Gestault

Yeah, I agree. Forza 5 is marginally better than Forza 4 on 360 in terms of tech, the models/textures have obviously improved, but the lighting has remained practically the same since Forza 1, and there are a lot of cut corners like mirrors running at 30 fps, cars not having any reflections with the full grid, and so on. It will be interesting to see what changes they make in Forza 6, but I wouldn't bet on realtime lighting and weather.

I understand part of what you're saying, in terms of their overall strategy for rendering priorities (real-time lighting on moving objects, pre-calc on static objects, SSR, etc), but the bolded (which comes across as the thesis of your point) is just at odds with reality.

Top Bottom