• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Hands on with the Destiny PS4 beta

Hey Guys, i made another comparison from the E3 Gameplay reveal Trailer (2013) and the PS4 Beta (2014).
Bungie changed a lot of the textures/objects/environment/lighting/particles...
But see for yourself:

BoKmFEl.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPJpa2yWGhg

Watch Dogs all over again

Kagutaba

Gonna be interesting to see the PS4/Xbox comparison article, I wonder how much worse the Xbox version will perform? Hopeful nothing too drastic.

Protome

Wait a few days until it gets out.
I only need a beta Key for the Xbox One version.

I'm sorry about the mixed up Thumbnail. (it was late...)

Here is the fixed version. (already uploaded to youtube.)
Thanks for the info!

q7TCLRY.jpg

Am I the only one who thinks the beta footage looks way better than the old E3 footage?
I mean, on a technical level it looks like there's less foliage and a few other downgrades, but the overall atmosphere and the lighting in particular seem vastly improved.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Am I the only one who thinks the beta footage looks way better than the old E3 footage?
I mean, on a technical level it looks like there's less foliage and a few other downgrades, but the overall atmosphere and the lighting in particular seem vastly improved.

i like the dust blowing around and wind in the beta better. If there is a downgrade not even close to the watch_dogs one imo

Watch Dogs all over again

So you looked at the wrong image (the Beta/E3 images are reversed in the pic you quoted), yet still say it's a repeat of Watch Dogs? Or did you actually watch the vid?

And besides, Watch Dogs was a MASSIVELY larger difference between reveal and finished product than Destiny is shaping up to be.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm not sure I agree with the "downgrade" claims. It looks a bit different but not inherently worse. Some aspects of the reveal look a bit better while parts of the beta outshine that original footage.

Oh my now were talking of downgrade in this game....Im out before it steamrolls into something!

Beta looks much better in certain aspects, Better inside enviroments and geometry, Lighting.

Afterall.....it is a BETA!

Synless

I feel exactly the opposite, the alpha performed better as far as my analisis goes lol.
I felt like the beta was performing worse than the alpha as well. Then I thought "no way, that's not possible". Seems like I'm not alone after all.

Kayant

Yh the lighting seems to have taken quite a hit in the beginning there were reflection on the cars which is now gone.
AA is not as good as well.

But some improvements with the textures especially inside as it shows the tear and wear of the building better and the dust effect is a nice change and improvements the environment.

Ehtonk

Neo Member

Indeed, overall the beta looks "better" (more detail, particles, better textures ect.)
Technically a downgrade from the E3 devkit version in terms of smooth lighting & anti aliasing.

The "realistic" look was also a "problem" in watch dogs.
Missing or low AO and the game looks flat/"realistic" but not cinematic anymore.

These frame pacing issues are really irritating. Noticed them in the alpha. Why bother optimizing your engine for a solid 30 if you're gonna muck it up with frame pacing issues?

Are there any high bitrate webms to see the judder/frame skip effect?
With 30/60fps webms the difference is very visible to me. I'd like to understand how big of a problem or nuisance frame skip is.

velociraptor

E3 reveal looks better to me. Most immediate difference is the smoother framerate

I'm not really sure what looks better. I prefer the overall look of the beta.

I was still very impressed with Destiny's visuals when I played the alpha, and it looks virtually the same from the E3 build except minor differences.

EvB

Whatever the case, it still looks like a high res Halo Reach for the most part. In the E3 footage and now. The geometry remains the same and it's is that on the exterior sections that makes it current generation roots as plain as day.

funkypie

Banned
on ps4 it feels like a last gen game to me looks wise. I'd rather have increased graphics and more AA (the game could use it) than a high resolution tbh.

At the same time it does not bother me as the gameplay is amazing.

Ehtonk

Neo Member
Tonight (CET) i will make a PS4 vs PS3 comparison video.

Any suggestions? I'm trying to capture all cut scenes for a equal image.
What comparison videos do you prefer?

Side by side, switching, sliding ect.

Should have been 60, especially in the crucible. Their reasoning is also beyond stupid; old gen and next gen should be the same experience.. i mean c'mon bungie, really?

nib95

Banned
Wait a few days until it gets out.
I only need a beta Key for the Xbox One version.

I'm sorry about the mixed up Thumbnail. (it was late...)

Here is the fixed version. (already uploaded to youtube.)
Thanks for the info!

q7TCLRY.jpg

From a technical, graphics and textures perspective, the BETA is more impressive. The atmospheric effects etc are much greater (and more resource demanding), there's also better textures on things like the floor indoors, the cloth that billows in the wind in the beginning, the cloth that sways on the pipe to the left at the far end (didn't move at all in the 2013 footage), there's now particles that sway through the air indoors, more lens flare effects etc.

If anything it's had a nice upgrade, though some may still prefer the 2013 footage because of its different art (more Sunset bleached in colour and time of day). Just the frame rate that doesn't seem as smooth overall now, so maybe they should have just left the dust and particles toned down. Unless of course the final build is more polished.

Pjsprojects

Looks like the contrast has been turned down and a textures downgraded but it still looks stunning!

Could the pc version look like the e3 footage if they ever make it???

To me it looks like the Beta got a nice upgrade.
I guess many people just a different look because of different time of day.

They game is very beautiful but thats because of the artstyle. I'm kinda dissapointed they decided to go with 30FPS.
I mean, after all the last gen version looks almost they same just with lower res and some other effect and texture resolution toned down.
NextGen shoul be capable of more than just higher res and better textures and effects.
I think 60FPS would've been possible on Ps4.

nib95

Banned
It judders? I must not be playing it right lol

Not everyone notices judder. I very rarely do. I still have this unfounded theory that certain screens are much less prone to judder than others. Because I notice it far more playing on my monitor than I do on my plasma's, where I barely notice judder at all. That and I'm sure different people's perception to judder differs in itself.

Ehtonk

Neo Member
To me it looks like the Beta got a nice upgrade.
I guess many people just a different look because of different time of day.

They game is very beautiful but thats because of the artstyle. I'm kinda dissapointed they decided to go with 30FPS.
I mean, after all the last gen version looks almost they same just with lower res and some other effect and texture resolution toned down.
NextGen shoul be capable of more than just higher res and better textures and effects.
I think 60FPS would've been possible on Ps4.

On a ps4 exclusive title maybe.
But not on a multi /lastgen plattform game with this scale.

Bungie was never a developer known for raising the bar visual wise.
All games were solid and good.

But in story telling, music, gameplay they always delivered AAA.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Downgrade? They added a lot of wind particles and atmospherics. The beta footage looks much better and more lively because of that. Textures also seem more detailed and less repetitive. I see that they had one more tree in the early footage, but other than that, just about everything else looks worse or same in it.

In any case, I played it yesterday, the game is quite gorgeous and feels like a spiritual successor to Halo. Technically, it's not quite KZ:SF or I:SS, but the art direction is on par with those and unique enough that it amazes every so often. Also, I can feel this judder problem a bit, but it's not a big deal. Wish they would just offer an uncapped framerate option.

Hey Guys, i made another comparison from the E3 Gameplay reveal Trailer (2013) and the PS4 Beta (2014).
Bungie changed a lot of the textures/objects/environment/lighting/particles...
But see for yourself:

BoKmFEl.jpg

first build is obvious PC due to the lack of aliasing and pop-up / higher distance geometric detail.

But the newest PS4 beta definitely has better artistic effect quality and flair.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Give me field of view slider, keyboard/mouse support and more grenades/less cooldown and I will be a happy chap. So far I've barely noticed the chopiness or frame rate dips, and I'm usually a high-end pc guy so they've done well on that aspect.

Top Bottom