• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Hands on with the Destiny PS4 beta

Pingoreous

It feels like the Judder is worse in the BETA. I can see ghosting in LCDs and rainbows in projectors if they are not running at multiples of 24hz( 48hz, 72Hz etc). My eyes get watery with the judder and it limits my playing time. Hope they fix it.

Why is it 30fps anyway? It doesn't look like the most graphic intensive game.

Yeah, I get that the Halo games they worked on were 30fps, but geez, that was 4+ years ago on worse hardware.

Pimpwerx

I don't bitch about frame rates, bug I've noticed it too. The game seems relatively framey. It could be because I prefer the auto rifles. I only played it an hour or so yesterday, through the first two stories and dicking around the tower.

The game also shimmers just as much as before, with aliasing still present. It's never wowed me visually before I got to play it, and it still hasn't. It's fun though, so I'm satisfied. PEACE.

Vooduu

Pretty sure if Bungie knew beforehand how well the PS4/Xbone sold, they wouldn't even have bothered with the PS3/360 version, likely giving more performance. Then again, runs fine to me.

VanWinkle

Oh just saw urk's post. Great news! The judder is so noticeable that it will definitely be a big difference when it's fixed.

Also kind of surprised that people are seeing so much aliasing. I think the image quality is pretty great (other than the sides that have the blur and chromatic abbaration, both intentional). There's SOME aliasing but it really doesn't seem that bad. That being said, I definitely wouldn't mind something like Infamous' SMAA T2x!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
There are judders here and there but it's more than smooth and playable nearly all the time on PS4. This is an unfinished game yet too. And what kind of AA are they using? Feels like FXAA as it makes the IQ look like sub 1080p.

Ehtonk

Neo Member
Hey Guys, i made another comparison from the E3 Gameplay reveal Trailer (2013) and the PS4 Beta (2014).
Bungie changed a lot of the textures/objects/environment/lighting/particles...
But see for yourself:

BoKmFEl.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPJpa2yWGhg

big_z

Hey Guys, i made another comparison from the E3 Gameplay reveal Trailer (2013) and the PS4 Beta (2014).
But see for yourself:

http://i.imgur.com/BoKmFEl.jpg[IMG]

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPJpa2yWGhg[/url][/QUOTE]

I thought the game looked off when watching a friend play earlier. I remember being impressed by the e3 demo, the beta didn't wow me. Some pretty big downgrades have happened.

RudoIudo

But see for yourself:

Nice work.
Dat grass :(

Still looking good exept for that damn FXAA.

NBtoaster

I don't see downgrades. The lighting is different outside but with added dusty wind. The interior is less dark but the lights turning on looks a lot better now.

I don't see downgrades. The lighting is different outside but with added dusty wind. The interior is less dark but the lights turning on looks a lot better now.

Grass density and environmental geometry took a pretty big hit, and some post-processing looks to be missing.

Grass density and environmental geometry took a pretty big hit, and some post-processing looks to be missing.
The difference in grass could be for the artistic direction they want. They looked to have removed some of the grass and some trees to make it more sparse and desolate while adding snow and much more wind gusts/dust for the mood. I doubt it's because of performance reasons. Believe it or not from developers I talk to, not every supposed "downgrade" is a downgrade, it really does come down to a different art/atmospheric direction they wanted to take.

That might sound like a cop out but a lot of the time that really is the case.

The difference in grass could be for the artistic direction they want. They looked to have removed some of the grass and some trees to make it more sparse and desolate while adding snow and much more wind gusts/dust for the mood. I doubt it's because of performance reasons. Believe it or not from developers I talk to, not every supposed "downgrade" is a downgrade, it really does come down to a different art/atmospheric direction they wanted to take.

It also happens to come with a massive performance boost. :p And environment complexity being reduced is definitely not due to a change in atmosphere - it's performance optimization at a visual cost.

It also happens to come with a massive performance boost. :p And environment complexity being reduced is definitely not due to a change in atmosphere - it's performance optimization at a visual cost.
Ehh, I watched the video but I can't remember, what else was removed besides some trees? You could very much make the case "I don't want all this grass and these trees here, it doesn't look like a barren wasteland that I have in mind" or something.

Ehh, I watched the video but I can't remember, what else was removed besides some trees? You could very much make the case "I don't want all this grass and these trees here, it doesn't look like a barren wasteland that I have in mind" or something.

Check out the broken area of the wall above the entrance - there's a lot more detail in the reveal than in the beta.

BoKmFEl.jpg

Another notable area is where the Ghost goes to turn on the lights - almost all the complex rafter work from the original reveal has been removed.

robotrock

Banned
Check out the broken area of the wall above the entrance - there's a lot more detail in the reveal than in the beta.

BoKmFEl.jpg

Another notable area is where the Ghost goes to turn on the lights - almost all the complex rafter work from the original reveal has been removed.

Why does the reveal say beta build?

To be fair, it's quite obvious that the E3 trailer was a slice of the game that they never managed to fully achieve in its entirety.

The visual function of Guardians dropping into the world from your ship in real-time, and what was initially implied to be the ability to drop wherever you wanted seems to not be in the final game. And maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like some animation didn't look as nice.

Takuan

Definitely noticed a little bit of weirdness when the fallen drop from the ships. Didn't bother me, but I seent it.

Why does the reveal say beta build?

It's the other way around. The caption doesn't give the right order of those images. Watch the video though, it does a much better job at showing the differences.

There's also grass physics - I don't remember that being in the alpha. Can someone say if it's in the beta?

EDIT: Watching again, another obvious thing is the antialiasing in the reveal is much, much better. Shader complexity (check out the environment / gun materials) also seem to have taken a hit. Wonder what kind of specs they were running the reveal on?

What I learned today: I must now incorporate the term "judder" in any technical discussion of gaming.

Seriously though, I don't think it's super noticeable. It's there, but it's not so frequent as to ruin the game for me. But since I'm going XB1 for the latter half of the Beta and the full game at launch (because I want them achievements), I sure hope it isn't any 'worse' over there.

I knew the framerate(is that the same thing as judder?) was off after only a few minutes of play. Seemed better than the alpha, but maybe was just my imagination. Glad to see it's going to be addressed

I noticed the judder once or twice when playing, but I only seemed to notice it when nothing was going on.

Hopefully they get it fixed before it releases.

While the visuals do look somewhat different, it's still a very visually impressive game.

I'm sure Bungie had their reasons to change some aspects and I'm sure it was done solely to make sure the frame-rate remains as stable as possible. They aren't there yet (the judder during the opening cut scene on Old Russia is pretty noticeable), but I'm sure they'll manage it in the final product.

Top Bottom