• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Hands on with the Destiny PS4 beta

Depending on how you count your frames, the pacing issues could be considered equivalent to the game briefly dropping to "20 FPS" then rebounding to 60 before returning to normal. It feels different from normal dropped frames or a meandering framerate because it happens in discrete bursts.

This definitely sounds accurate, that's how it feels to me. Just...inconsistent.

Chaplain

I feel like I'm playing a different game than everyone else. Seeing words like "solid" and "buttery smooth" is in direct contrast to what I've experienced. The game is fun, but the whole thing just feels choppy, especially when turning the camera. I'm honestly surprised it's averaging 30, to me it feels like low to mid 20s much of the time.

I agree. In open areas, upon landing at a location, just panning the camera around will result in the frame rate dipping below 30 fps. The graphics look good, but not good enough to drop below 30 fps.

There is definitely motion blur issues and judder when rotating the camera.

I noticed it immediately.

Doesn't bother me, personally, but it IS noticeable.

Which makes me wonder how this is going to run on the other consoles, with lesser hardware...

GameSeeker

They really need to get this judder issue under control but I suspect that won't happen. Halo 3 and ODST both suffered from the very same problem and it was NEVER patched or even addressed.

Kudos to Digital Foundry for finding the bug and exposing it in their article.

Known bug and one that may even get fixed mid Beta. No promises!

And Kudos to Bungie for acknowledging the bug.

I'm just not seeing/feeling this judder at all.

It looks and plays buttery smooth.

It feels very choppy to me. Same issue I had with the alpha. Maybe I'm spoiled with 60fps shooters

I agree. In open areas, upon landing at a location, just panning the camera around will result in the frame rate dipping below 30 fps. The graphics look good, but not good enough to drop below 30 fps.

Yeah as beautiful as the environments are, the game should be running better imo.

slash3584

So that what judder is xD

Since I started playing the beta I've felt like it performs worse than the alpha for some reason.

Ryuuga

Banned
I actually notice more judder in the beta than I did during alpha. Though I spend an unhealthy amount of time doing crucible anyway.

I'll reserve my final judgement until the final release, but if you can't hit solid 30fps on this gen console with the kind of team and money thrown at this game, then something is terribly wrong. I'm all for this game, but what I've seen so far, and the issues raised, we have a sub par product at this point (as of beta, so it should be expected).

psn

How dare they improve the game on the console you don't have.
If the improvements to achieve parity are hurting the performance on the ps4 then yes, I have a problem with that.

Fictional case:
I decided myself for the better hardware which should be easier to develop and I pay the same for the game. If they would decide to give 70% of development time to the weaker console just to achieve parity.. yes, I'd have a problem with that. It's not my fault that microsoft kinda messed it up
exaggeration
and it's not my mission to subsidize the development for parity.

I also agree with everyone who says it feels like the game should be running better. It's certainly a good looking game, but there's nothing it's doing that seems to justify the performance problems. Many better looking games that have also run better on my PS4. I guess we can chalk it up to the fact they're trying to hit 4 systems simultaneously - not enough time to optimize.

Gbraga

I really hope they fix the frame pacing issues before launch.

Is it something complicated to fix? I don't remember ever seeing this before on a console game.

Known bug and one that may even get fixed mid Beta. No promises!

Oh! That's wonderful news!

RyudBoy

The fact that it was in Halo 3 and ODST means I won't notice it here. w00t!

It really sucks if something so little bothers you.

Orayn

I also agree with everyone who says it feels like the game should be running better. It's certainly a good looking game, but there's nothing it's doing that seems to justify the performance problems. Many better looking games that have also run better on my PS4. I guess we can chalk it up to the fact they're trying to hit 4 systems simultaneously - not enough time to optimize.

The good news is that this isn't an actual performance problem, just an oddball bug that might even be fixed before the beta ends. As DF noted, the game's average framerate seems to be locked at 30 and the little hiccups are a separate issue.

I guess im one of the lucky ones who doesnt notice stuff like this.

So many games must be ruined for people who do.

Not everyone who notices this kind of thing is equally bothered by it.

If the improvements to achieve parity are hurting the performance on the ps4 then yes, I have a problem with that.

Fictional case:
I decided myself for the better hardware which should be easier to develop and I pay the same for the game. If they would decide to give 70% of development time to the weaker console just to achieve parity.. yes, I'd have a problem with that. It's not my fault that microsoft kinda messed it up
exaggeration

I have a PS4 as well, and I'd love for multiplat games on it to be 60 fps on it or look nicer, take advantage of power etc. But there's 4 million + Xbox One owners and Bungie can't just ignore them because you have a PS4 and want a better version. Resources are a thing, and they are working hard to make sure everyone gets a good experience. It's not like increasing the res/framerate on the XB1 suddenly makes the PS4 version drop. I'm sure both versions will look and run great.

jett

D-Member
I wonder if eurogamer has given DF an "articles per month" quota. Once upon a time they would've waited to release a full article that compares alpha to beta, PS4 to Xbone and PS3 to 360. Now we get this stuff piecemeal.

The good news is that this isn't an actual performance problem, just an oddball bug that might even be fixed before the beta ends. As DF noted, the game's average framerate seems to be locked at 30 and the little hiccups are a separate issue.

I'm not talking about the judder - I'm talking about the fact it's only running at 30 fps. For a cross-gen shooter that's kind of surprising.

Fictional case:
exaggeration

Oh lordy... such entitlement.

They're not going to gimp your precious PS4 version, relax...

Chaplain

Same here, I felt it in the alpha (no frame drops though), haven't since playing the beta.

Once you land at a location, rotate the camera 360 degrees slowly. You will see the camera rotate smoothly then all of a sudden juddering will occur, and then go back to smooth movement.

Unfinished game not finished.

I played about an hour last night and noticed nothing wrong. Whatever graphical issue there may be we need to remember that Destiny is being held back by the PS360.

Orayn

I'm not talking about the judder - I'm talking about the fact it's only running at 30 fps. For a cross-gen shooter that's kind of surprising.

I figure Bungie wanted to go all or nothing with framerate, and they just didn't have the time or resources to pull off 60 FPS on every system. It's probably capable of running a fair bit above 30 on PS4, but they went with a locked framerate for understandable reasons.

Mr Moose

Once you land at a location, rotate the camera 360 degrees slowly. You will see the camera rotate smoothly then all of a sudden juddering will occur, and then go back to smooth movement.

I'm not seeing it :( I am sitting at an angle though, could that be why?

I guess it's a good thing I can't see it in a way lol. Like screen tearing, once you see you can't unsee.

I'm gonna record some footage and play it back, see if I can notice it.

Is it me or is the judder and aliasing worse in the beta than the Alpha?

I played the Alpha a lot and never noticed this stuff, but it was immediately noticeable in the Beta. There is more effects and stuff happening now, so likely that caused issues elsewhere that are still being optimized...hopefully.

Ps if you are sensitive to judder bump up the look sensitivity. It is set very low by default which causes you to look slowly and thus juddering.

Chabbles

Yeah, the precision in the aim is pretty fucked. inconsistent, a bit laggy, then no lag, then a bit laggy, then very laggy, then no lag, etc, etc. I hope they sort it out for release, and the framerate too.

Yeah, the precision in the aim is pretty fucked. inconsistent, a bit laggy, then no lag, then a bit laggy, then very laggy, then no lag, etc, etc. I hope they sort it out for release, and the framerate too.

Yea see I felt that stuff was more precise in the Alpha as well. Glad I read this thread. I thought I was going crazy. Lol. Still a blast, but obviously improvements need to happen. Great thing is they have some time unlike some betas that are 2 weeks prior to launch.

psn

I have a PS4 as well, and I'd love for multiplat games on it to be 60 fps on it or look nicer, take advantage of power etc. But there's 4 million + Xbox One owners and Bungie can't just ignore them because you have a PS4 and want a better version. Resources are a thing, and they are working hard to make sure everyone gets a good experience. It's not like increasing the res/framerate on the XB1 suddenly makes the PS4 version drop. I'm sure both versions will look and run great.
I don't want them to ignore the 4 million xb1 owners. I want a fair amount of developing time for both. That is not ignoring. I dont know why splitting up the ressources between the two consoles would be ignoring or unfair. If I decide against the 50% stronger console I should kinda expect worse multiplats. And closing a gap of around 50% needs development time, much development time I guess.

Remember, that is just for the fictional case where they strive for parity.

Chaplain

I'm not seeing it :( I am sitting at an angle though, could that be why?

I guess it's a good thing I can't see it in a way lol. Like screen tearing, once you see you can't unsee.

I'm gonna record some footage and play it back, see if I can notice it.

I will try and record some footage for you later today.

Interesting that they specifically mention "lateral" movement, because that is the first thing I noticed when I started the tutorial section. The up/down look was smooth. The side to side look felt off and inconsistent. At one point, turning left felt fine, turning right felt juddery. After I made it into the interior area, things cleared up. After playing for a few hours I stopped noticing it. I am not sure if it was still there and I had just gotten used to it, or if it had fixed itself after that initial tutorial opening area. Anyway, for me it's one of those things that I notice at first, and then get used to fairly quickly. As long as I don't switch to a solid 60fps shooter between Destiny sessions, I should be fine!

One problem I'm having is a slowturn to the right. Had the same problem in the alpha as well. Normally, you'd blame it on the controller, but I don't have any slowturn in BF4 or KZSF using the same controller. Not sure what to make of it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I wonder if eurogamer has given DF an "articles per month" quota. Once upon a time they would've waited to release a full article that compares alpha to beta, PS4 to Xbone and PS3 to 360. Now we get this stuff piecemeal.
While I agree that analysis of videos is a bit over the top I see nothing wrong with them doing articles on prerelease code in front of them. It's pretty interesting.

I don't want them to ignore the 4 million xb1 owners. I want a fair amount of developing time for both. That is not ignoring. I dont know why splitting up the ressources between the two consoles would be ignoring or unfair. If I decide against the 50% stronger console I should kinda expect worse multiplats. And closing a gap of around 50% needs development time, much development time I guess.

Remember, that is just for the fictional case where they strive for parity.

You're looking at it wrong - they're not really developing 2 different games and devoting more time to one or the other. They're working on a single game (probably with PS4 as the lead) and then making sure that it runs well on each platforms.

If PS4 is the lead then that would actually mean the majority of their work is likely being done on that platform, so you should be happy in that case.

Mr Moose

I will try and record some footage for you later today.

I recorded some with my Elgato and played it back on PC, I think I see what you're talking about now (I was facing a wall at first, started turning and it seemed, well, juddery when facing an open area).

Chaplain

I recorded some with my Elgato and played it back on PC, I think I see what you're talking about now (I was facing a wall at first, started turning and it seemed, well, juddery when facing an open area).

That's it. This happens quite a bit in the game. For me, its really distracting when I am in combat with AI. That juddering can mean that I miss shots due to the my aiming not being as precise as it should be due to the fluctuation in frame rate.

This is nothing new though. BF 4 really drops frames in heavy battles on all maps. Mid tens to mid twenties. I blame Dice due to poor optimization of their engine on PS4 and the stock libraries given to them by Sony for the CPU: Sony's Ice team has already begun addressing these CPU problems though.

Sony’s ICE team programmers are basically a bunch of talented developers that work on the core graphics technologies for the PS4. One such developer is Cort Stratton who is a senior programmer on Sony’s ICE Team.

On his Twitter feed he revealed a few interesting tid-bits about PlayStation 4 games development and how his recent contributions will make things run faster.
“Finally wrote that ASM I was looking forward to. Early results: PS4 surface tiling/detiling on the CPU is ~10-100x faster now. SIMDlicious!.” he Tweeted.

He also revealed that the previous code was bad and was a just copy reference from the hardware documents. “It was pretty bad. Pretty much a copy of the reference code from HW docs, evaluated in full per fragment with a memcpy at the end,” he tweeted.

link

ypo

The biggest travesty is the shitty chromatic aberration. Why the hell does the dev thinks having everything out of focused is better than the crystal clear version? "Hey look at this shiny new tech, it looks like ghosting but with rainbow colors. Let's put it on everything. So hot!"

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Frame pacing issue was there all along. Wasn't fixed when they capped at 30.
Well, you have frame pacing issue by default when the framerate is unlocked 60 and fluctuates between 30 and 60. But that's normal, and it's not the same thing as the frame pacing discussed here, which occurs at the locked 30. Unless I'm missing something.

Thrakier

They really need to get this judder issue under control but I suspect that won't happen. Halo 3 and ODST both suffered from the very same problem and it was NEVER patched or even addressed.

Casual GAF doesn't care. 24FPS are fine anyway. It's moviez.

Top Bottom